Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading currently?

Sexing the Cherry. Third book by Jeanette Winterson that I have to read. I *hate* the woman.
    I love postmodern stuff, I like pastiche, I like allusiveness... I like pretty much everything that Winterson does but I hate the superficial, insincere, snobbish way in which Winterson does it.
    Esp. Gut Symmetries is a huge, transgalactic, would-be-transcendental pile of pretentious blah. I gotta admit she's really good with English, her style is at times quite exquisite. Pity she doesn't have anything to tell.

I just hope I'll be done with her soon, so that I can move on to something that's actually worth reading...
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    Sexing the Cherry. Third book by Jeanette Winterson that I have to read. I *hate* the woman.
    I love postmodern stuff, I like pastiche, I like allusiveness... I like pretty much everything that Winterson does but I hate the superficial, insincere, snobbish way in which Winterson does it.
    Esp. Gut Symmetries is a huge, transgalactic, would-be-transcendental pile of pretentious blah. I gotta admit she's really good with English, her style is at times quite exquisite. Pity she doesn't have anything to tell.

I just hope I'll be done with her soon, so that I can move on to something that's actually worth reading...
    Why force yourself reading something that you don't like:?

Do you force yourself eating a bread that's not to your liking? or a coke with a funny taste?

Han solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

School reading.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

The book of wisdom for me..... "The Animator's Survival Kit" by Richard Willams. The every "accupoint" to live and die of animation, from creatures to human, from stick figures to booby women, all in there!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://allbooksuk.com/img/502f303537313230323238342e30312e5f53434d5a5a5a5a5a 5a5a5f.jpg')
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Zi Wei Numerology and starting to draw up my Fate chart to see whether Wealth Palace got Luck to strike Lottery

Default Yay!

The joy and excitement which is called SQL - The Complete Reference.

Better than Shakespeare, boring as Twilight (awful book).

Reading because I might need it for University later.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GNe%2BmrowL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU02_.jpg')

Just finished reading Terry Pratchett's Nation. Good book. Loved it. More matured with less joke than most of his other works.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I've finally started reading Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Mariller recently. I had started earlier but I dropped it because I wanted to read another book. But when I finally am reading this book, the story is not bad. Its pretty interesting. I like the comraderie of the siblings.
    I'm still reading this book. I know! I started this book back in late April and I'm not even done with it. It's a really good book and I enjoy reading it a lot. It's just I've been distracted with watching tv, people and other stuff in my life. So I'm trying to finish this book before Monday. I'm halfway through the book.

Daughter of the Forest is an historical fantasy novel by Juliet Marillier first published in 1999 It is loosely based on "The Six Swans" (a story that has many versions, one of which by the Brothers Grimm). A girl (Sorcha) must sew six shirts from a painful nettle plant in order to save her brothers from a witch's enchantment, remaining completely mute until the task is finished. Falling in love complicates her mission.
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daughter_of_the_Forest

It's just horrible how Sorcha, the main heroine, is given such a difficult task to complete. I mean...can you keep silence for years without talking? It would be easy to have someone magically take her voice and make her unable to talk. But she herself have to be mute and keep herself mute or else it would defeat the challenging task the Fair folk has given her. When I read pages 198-200 when the worst crime done to a woman was done to her, I was just sad for her. Her determination to free her brothers in spite of how many times she is tested is admirable. I mean her life is changed dramatically because of it. Physically, emotionally, maybe even mentally. But she will become stronger because of all these tests.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 07-02-09 at 08:34 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Whoa!, I nearly miss it. Kingkillers Chronicle 2 - The Wise Man's Fear, out August 30th, 2009, Can't wait for more Kvothe adventure ^__^.

Currently reading Malazan Book 3 - Memories of Ice (1200 pages ). The Malazan is such an un-comparable to other books. Literally thousands of characters. Countless wars. Badass group of army (Bridgeburners and Bonehunters). No such things as stay dead forever. Some people dead, become Ascendant or a God. A god can die and become mortal LOL. The woman is crazy, haha. Selecting man randomly to go to bed like selecting clothes LOL.

The backstory covers literally hundreds of thousands of years, repeatedly . Don't try to make sense of the timeline; really, don't LOL. Imagine Normandy landing of the D Day. The writer put us directly into that kind of situation and then move forward and backward explaining the narratives. A true "not for everybody" book.

Not your father or grandfather's book either. Lord of the Rings, nope. Wheel of Time, nope. Belgariad nope. Malazan is not your traditional High Fantasy where there is a lone hero, a farmer or sheepherder LOL, taken by wizard or witch, go somewhere, learn magic or something, become badass and fight dark powerful characters.

If you want that kind of hero in Malazan, then this is not your book. I kind of frustrated at first when start reading coz there is no central characters that you can follow or hold on. But after three books, wow. Can't wait to read more, another 12 books written by 2 writers.

by Steven Erikson:

1. Gardens of the Moon (1999)
    2. Deadhouse Gates (2000)
    3. Memories of Ice (2001)
    4. House of Chains (2002)
    5. Midnight Tides (2004)
    6. The Bonehunters (2006)
    7. Reaper's Gale (2007)
    8. Toll the Hounds (2008)
    9. Dust of Dreams (2009)
    10. The Crippled God (forthcoming)

by Ian Cameron Esslemont

1. Night of Knives (2005, written by Ian Cameron Esslemont).
    2. Return of the Crimson Guard (2008, written by Ian Cameron Esslemont).
    3. Stonewielder, (forthcoming, written by Ian Cameron Esslemont).

I really love Wheel Of Time and the sheepherder main hero LOL - Rand al'Thor, but now WoT is number 2 on my list of best high fantasies, just right under the reigning no 1 - Malazan, book of the fallen.

Currently reading the conqueror (Genghis Kahn) and emperor (Julius Ceasar) series by Conn Iggulden. Great historical fiction and at the end of each book he explains the changes he's made from the historical record. I can't put them down.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

If you only read one book this year, then read this book. Well assuming you already read the previous 8 books LOL

Tentative publish date of August 27, 2009. Less than a month. And I'm still not finish book 3 - yay.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/garrett850/Dust_of_Dreams.jpg')

My sister bought a book and left it on the coffee table. It's called The Road of Loss Innocence. I picked it up and after reading the back cover I put it down. I wasn't in the mood to read sad stuff. I walked by it later and picked it up again and started to read it. This time I couldn't put it down until I was done reading it. I'm not a crier but I cried profusely while reading it. After I was done I was full of rage. And I'm still in rage.

"Dust of Dreams" looks like a good book...(am I judging a book by its cover again?)
    “我停在原处也许就是为了让大家在累的时候,有个可以回头休息的地方。”

Had finally decided to drop the idea of reading collection of Harry Potter and instead I'm reading collection of novels from author George Orwell.

Beginning with '1984' and 'Animal Farm'.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_U84fPuQrKzI/SF_qxP5J5BI/AAAAAAAAClI/jS1mRb0K7fQ/s320/professional_etiquette_picking_nose.jpg')

Anyone else reads works from George Orwell?
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 08-20-09 at 06:38 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Indonesia, where people will trap you in a Big Dipper formation if you steal a chicken...

No, but if you ask what book I'm reading currently, as in the very moment I'm posting this post, then it would be Lionel Giles' translation of Sun Tzu Bing Fa.

What? You've got a problem with that?
    It was often said, "Among horses, Chi Tu (Red Hare). Among retards, Lu Bu."

Vice-President of Wuji Haters Club!

Originator of "Wuv Kuddly Hamsty" activity.

Currently reading Dr Zhivago, finished the first 2 chapters only to find it mildly interesting. Don't know if the rest is any good.

I won't say 'currently reading', but I just finished it about an hour ago.

"Map of Bones" by James Rollins. I've got another of his two books to read.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by rosely View Post
    If you only read one book this year, then read this book. Well assuming you already read the previous 8 books LOL

Tentative publish date of August 27, 2009. Less than a month. And I'm still not finish book 3 - yay.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/garrett850/Dust_of_Dreams.jpg')
    I like the cover. It's really cool.

Jeffrey Archer - Paths of Glory

Black Order by James Rollins. Book2 in his Sigma Force series.

I should be able to finish it by tonight. After that I will jump to the next book.