Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading currently?

I'm Chinese and I hate the book, so that already tells you a lot.

If she could write like half as well as Robert Browning.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

What!!!??? No one read Brandon Sanderson - The Way of Kings???? You guys are so un-mainstream and academics lol

Reading
    The 4 hour work week - Tim Ferris

"March to Putrajaya" by Kim Quek. The free online downloaded version, of course, since the printed version is still banned.

Fighter's Heart - Sam Sheridan

This is turning out to be a really good read. Sam Sheridan's journey through combat sports is fascinating, especially the insights and observations he has about the fight game and the different styles. I can barely read a few pages before I want to just start shadow boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by rosely View Post
    What!!!??? No one read Brandon Sanderson - The Way of Kings???? You guys are so un-mainstream and academics lol
    I read this book back in october..it was really good...coulnd't put it down.
    currently reading the mistborn trilogy...just finished the first book the other night...

i'm not so fond of his 1 book novels like elantris and warbreaker..he had interesting concepts there but it's not as good as his series book
    Check out WXFS translated comic of Tian Long Ba Bu
    Last updated: 02/04/2008

First They Killed My Father: A daughter of Cambodia remembers by Loung Ung

Quote Originally Posted by lauragal View Post
    First They Killed My Father: A daughter of Cambodia remembers by Loung Ung
    I read that for high school. Good book.

Books that become must reads are ones that are usually not best sellers. I've foraged sellers for books that dont get printed for big additions finding that the stock is in some wayoff country and it will take 6 weeks to arrive. I've just read a delicious extract to entice my buying frenzy and the person on the other end of the phone is less than excited about my find, knowing too well in their tone that a book is a whole lot of paper stuck together on one edge with some words or a picture on to front. Hence they've never opened the cover to delve beneath a surface that's usually misguiding in nature.

Not until you've evoloved from reading cover to cover can one really decide why the author may have chosen the artwork and title. Some trickery may suggest when browsing titles in a bookshop dont expect it to jump off the shelf and tell you thats the one. The author note is useful but doesnt really tell you in so much to say, I live in dreary old so and so, where not much happens during an exciting day, so therefore I write stuff from time to time, and wow here I am letting you in on my story. If at all there may be some excerpt from a magazine editor saying how they enjoyed the merry romp of faith in recieving a free copy if they would mind quoting ..etc..etc..thrilling..etc...memorable...

Why bother with the advertising of a good book, rather that an average book or even a poorly written one is going to look the same on the shelf. How can you tell the difference when they are all shoved together spine against spine. And all that good paper for poorly written books. Aren't writers ashamed of pushing books in the face of would-be critics. I'll rememeber that authors name. I'll never buy another of their books so long as....The publishers fault I suspect. They send it off for editing to help improve a hap-hazard misdirected story and try to mold something more noble from the pages. But theres a deadline and between author and editor little is being achieved while they argue the ethics of cutting a complete character and changing the end to include a new one and remember the deadline...

Read articles containing reader reviews of books you are considering. Good or exceptional comments are useful but to really decide you need to be able to know that the writer is on your wavelenght so its readable dialogue.
    Last edited by cafelatte; 01-19-11 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typo

I'm reading Jane Austen's Emma. The introduction says Emma is the best book by Austen. I have seen the movie and Clueless adaptation, but never read Emma ,so I'll see how it ranks compared to other Austen novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I'm reading Jane Austen's Emma. The introduction says Emma is the best book by Austen. I have seen the movie and Clueless adaptation, but never read Emma ,so I'll see how it ranks compared to other Austen novels.
    This is my second favourite Austen novel after Northanger Abbey, and I only like Northanger Abbey better because I like Henry Tilney better than the rest of the Austen heroes. But, if you talk about overall storyline and characterisation, I find Emma to be the best. Happy reading.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Tuesdays with Morrie

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    This is my second favourite Austen novel after Northanger Abbey, and I only like Northanger Abbey better because I like Henry Tilney better than the rest of the Austen heroes. But, if you talk about overall storyline and characterisation, I find Emma to be the best. Happy reading.
    Is there a good faithful tv adaptation of Emma? I've seen the Gwenyth Paltrow version many years ago but didn't understand it much so (since I was too young) I might renew my viewing of that one after finishing the book. I've seen a bit of the beginning of the 2009 BBC 4 episode mini-series, I didn't like cast for Emma and George Knightley. The actress who plays Emma looks butch and annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Is there a good faithful tv adaptation of Emma? I've seen the Gwenyth Paltrow version many years ago but didn't understand it much so (since I was too young) I might renew my viewing of that one after finishing the book. I've seen a bit of the beginning of the 2009 BBC 4 episode mini-series, I didn't like cast for Emma and George Knightley. The actress who plays Emma looks butch and annoying.
    To me honest, I never watched any adaptation of Emma. So, I can't comment. The only Emma related movie I've watched is Clueless.
    I relationship with the Emma novel is a strange one. The first Emma novel I read is a short abridged version of it. That was in secondary school. I hated Emma in that version, and Emma became my most hated Austen heroine for sometime. Then years later, I pick up an unabridged version and started reading it. My feelings towards Emma has a 180 degree change. I really like her in this unabridged version. Maybe my thinking change as a grow up or many the unabridged version was able to bring out more fully the Emma character. She's likable in all the virtues and flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    I read that for high school. Good book.
    yep, its really an awesome book. currently i'm reading Lucky Child: A daughter of Cambodia reunites with the sister she left behind, its sequel.

'The End of Fear' by Richard Schaub, Ph.D.

Has anyone read this before? I just finish reading the intro. Does the book have great impact on you?

'The Macho Paradox: Why Some Men Hurt Women and How All Men Can Help' by Jackson Katz.

It just kind of made me more scared of men. @.@;
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

The Sea of Monsters - Book 2 of the Percy Jackson series.

Shanghai Girls by Lisa See

Percy Jackson book 3 - The Titan's Curse.