Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading currently?

Finishing Huck Finn and starting What Maisie Knew by Henry James--all for the sake of American Novels lit. class
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Huckberry Finn is a great american novel- in fact, it is a great novel, period.
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Art of Intrusion by Kevin Mitnick

Interviews/True stories of "legendary", notorious hackers from all over the world. How it all begin, and how it all ended. Plus, security measures suggested. Of course, this moral of reading such books, is to understand the mindsets.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Currently reading "Faith That Endures"......I forgot the author's name.
    “我停在原处也许就是为了让大家在累的时候,有个可以回头休息的地方。”

Question for everyone: How many pages can you read within a certain amount of time?

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Question for everyone: How many pages can you read within a certain amount of time?
    Depends what kind of books it is.
    Books which I have to read for seminar I usually need more time as for a book of my choice.

Currently (try) reading "Atonement" by Ian McEwan

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen
    Joe Cheng<3
    Jiro Wang<3
    Lee Jaejin<3
    Oguri Shun<3
    Vic Zhou<3

falling leaves return to their roots. by adeline yen mah.

I'm reading Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser. And also going to read "Twelfth Night" by Shakespeare.

I am currently reading the Outlaws of Marsh, English translation of Water Margin.

It can be said a good classic novel. Nonetheless I prefer Jing Yong's novels.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

Quote Originally Posted by libby96 View Post
    falling leaves return to their roots. by adeline yen mah.
    I love that book. It is very touching.
    “我停在原处也许就是为了让大家在累的时候,有个可以回头休息的地方。”

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.it's a very touching story about this guy called Amir,an Afghanistani n his life b4 n after the Russian invasion.the part about his childhood turned me totally emo,i tell u.he betrayed(sorta)his very best fren(who's also his extremely loyal servant).basically,its his journey of guilt and redemption after his treacherous act.not bad,not bad,considering it's k.hosseini's first book.i would recommend y'all to read it but be prepared for da gruesome acts of the taliban described in da book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.it's a very touching story about this guy called Amir,an Afghanistani n his life b4 n after the Russian invasion.the part about his childhood turned me totally emo,i tell u.he betrayed(sorta)his very best fren(who's also his extremely loyal servant).basically,its his journey of guilt and redemption after his treacherous act.not bad,not bad,considering it's k.hosseini's first book.i would recommend y'all to read it but be prepared for da gruesome acts of the taliban described in da book.
    I think the movie adaptation is released or at least, going to be released. Should be interesting to watch for people who have enjoyed the book.

I have just finished reading Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger yesterday. It's one of those stories loved by a lot of readers but you never feel like picking it up until years later.

It's about a (good looking) librarian, Henry, with genetic disorders that enable him to time travel. Sounds fun but not to Henry since he cannot control when and where he time travels. It's more of a love story focusing on the relationship of Henry and his wife, Clare -- how they meet in different period of his and her life. She first meets him when she is 6 while he's in his 30s or 40s but he first meets her when he's 28 and she's 20. An interesting story as the author brings us to the past, present and (rarely) future, back and fro throughout the book. Warning: Not suitable for potential readers who are interested in a conventional love story where hero meets heroine, falls deeply in love and they live happily ever after.
    Last edited by BearBearNweather; 12-12-07 at 01:44 AM.

thanks for da info,BearBearNweather!i'm absolutely looking forward to it right now.btw,i know u've warned that the time traveller's wife is not the conventional love story(i'm a sucker for those),but does the characters live happily ever after?(even a bigger sucker for this.lol)or at least there's a decent and happy ending?

thanks for da info,BearBearNweather!i'm absolutely looking forward to it right now.btw,i know u've warned that the time traveller's wife is not the conventional love story(i'm a sucker for those),but does the characters live happily ever after?(even a bigger sucker for this.lol)or at least there's a decent and happy ending?
    You're most, most welcome

As for Time Traveler's Wife...you don't need a big box of tissue for it but after reading it, you'll feel the slight clench in your heart, or rather, that has happened to me after I finished the book. I hope I am not giving spoiler to anyone but here it is:

click to show/hide spoilers
    The story is touching in a way however the relationships in it are not rosy and perfect. Strictly speaking, it's not happily-ever-after for the hero and heroine.

If you really want to know what happens, you can send me a message.

BTW, Time Traveler's Wife is also made into a movie. No exact release date but should be in 2008 too. The trailers aren't up yet. Eric Bana plays Henry, the leading guy and Rachel McAdams as his wife.

Have you tried A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini? I've no idea how good it is compared to Kite Runner but it seems quite popular.

And I cannot resist recommanding The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons to you. The mentioned title is the first book. If you like it, continue with book 2 (as for book 3, it really depends on individuals whether they should read it or not). This story is recommanded online some time back in another forum and it has turned many of us into fans of the story. It's about a Russian young lady and a soldier during WWII. A very powerful love story. You may want to try it one of these days.
    Last edited by BearBearNweather; 12-15-07 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BearBearNweather View Post
    You're most, most welcome

As for Time Traveler's Wife...you don't need a big box of tissue for it but after reading it, you'll feel the slight clench in your heart, or rather, that has happened to me after I finished the book. I hope I am not giving spoiler to anyone but here it is:

click to show/hide spoilers
    The story is touching in a way however the relationships in it are not rosy and perfect. Strictly speaking, it's not happily-ever-after for the hero and heroine.

If you really want to know what happens, you can send me a message.

BTW, Time Traveler's Wife is also made into a movie. No exact release date but should be in 2008 too. The trailers aren't up yet. Eric Bana plays Henry, the leading guy and Rachel McAdams as his wife.

>a very decorated cast,eh.i'm ecstatic about seeing Rachel McAdams' work again cuz she's alwes said to be the nxt big thing.somehow,it hasn't happened yet.hopefully,it will thru this movie cuz i really like her.

Have you tried A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini? I've no idea how good it is compared to Kite Runner but it seems quite popular.

>nope.but it's on some bestseller list so it should be good.am hunting for reviews regarding the book

And I cannot resist recommanding The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons to you. The mentioned title is the first book. If you like it, continue with book 2 (as for book 3, it really depends on individuals whether they should read it or not). This story is recommanded online some time back in another forum and it has turned many of us into fans of the story. It's about a Russian young lady and a soldier during WWII. A very powerful love story. You may want to try it one of these days.
    >are the books a continuation of one another?cuz i'm afraid dat i'd be too into it and become peeved if it turns out anything like HP which i was so obsessed with once.haiz,all the great work dissolving into mediocre writing.oh,the horror.sry,i get melodramatic at times.neway,sticking with novels now,no more thrilogy n watsoever for mua

Whoops!forgot to mention dat i'm reading Little Men by Louisa May Alcott.I'm at the part where [spoiler]Nat's "punished" for lying to Mr Bhaer n the other kids found out about it.It's pretty cool actually.i mean,instead of getting canned himself,he gets to can Mr Bhaer!huh,how about dat.it's suppose to make him feel guilty about his lying n canning Mr Bhaer as the latter has done so much for him.[spoiler]
    Anyway, this book makes me feel like a kid again.wait,i'm still a kid,well sorta

I'm quite looking forward to watching Time Traveler's Wife after reading the novel. It helps of course with Eric Bana in it

That's one of the reasons why I am seriously considering (and still considering) watching another movie -- The Other Boleyn Girl that will be released next year. It's another adaptation from book, this one written by Phillipa Greogry. It's about the Boleyn sisters and their relationships with King Henry VIII. Mary Boleyn was his mistress for many years and her younger sister, Anne Boleyn, later married him to become his wife No.2. Although Eric Bana isn't exactly what I have in mind of King Henry VIII, part of me want to watch the movie for him and Natalie Portman, who plays Anne. However, I'm not too fond of Scarlett Johansson (sorry to fans of hers) who takes the role of Mary (The Other Boleyn Girl actually focuses on Mary instead of Anne) and I have quite enough of King Henry and his six marriages as well as his obsession to have a male heir. Oops, I am blahing too much

Back to Rachel McAdams, don't recall seeing much of her other than The Notebook. Quite like the movie. What can I say, I love sappy love stories.

>are the books a continuation of one another?cuz i'm afraid dat i'd be too into it and become peeved if it turns out anything like HP which i was so obsessed with once.haiz,all the great work dissolving into mediocre writing.oh,the horror.sry,i get melodramatic at times.neway,sticking with novels now,no more thrilogy n watsoever for mua
    The books are a continuation.
    Book 1 - The Bronze Horseman
    Book 2 - (Australian/New Zealand version) The Bridge to Holy Cross
    (US/UK) Tatiana and Alexander
    Final book - The Summer Garden

The first two books are awesome IMHO. After reading book 1 and if you like it, you will desperately want to read the next one. And if you read the paperback version of Tatiana and Alexander which contains an epilogue, it's not exactly necessary to read the last book since the epilogue wraps up nicely. If you read paperback version of The Bridge to Holy Cross, you may still want to read book 3 although it's still quite alright to stop at number 2. I can't say The Summer Garden isn't good coz I like it a lot but the relationship of the hero and heroine is put to tests as they begin to live a more ordinary life rather than going through the war. After reading about their lives and romance in the first two books, I'd prefer if they face other problems rather than the issues happening in their relationship in the last book. In a way, it's more realistic but.......

But what's more important -- it's a HEA

Never read Little Men. I have quite fond memories of Little Women as a kid. It's perfectly alright to read kiddo book, I think I read Daddy Long Legs last year, kekeke.
    Last edited by BearBearNweather; 12-16-07 at 07:41 AM.

I'm quite looking forward to watching Time Traveler's Wife after reading the novel. It helps of course with Eric Bana in it
    >u know,i've never tot of him as hot until i watched the movie entitled "Lucky You" starring Eric Bana n Drew Barrymore.he was so smoking....

That's one of the reasons why I am seriously considering (and still considering) watching another movie -- The Other Boleyn Girl that will be released next year. It's another adaptation from book, this one written by Phillipa Greogry. It's about the Boleyn sisters and their relationships with King Henry VIII. Mary Boleyn was his mistress for many years and her younger sister, Anne Boleyn, later married him to become his wife No.2. Although Eric Bana isn't exactly what I have in mind of King Henry VIII, part of me want to watch the movie for him and Natalie Portman, who plays Anne. However, I'm not too fond of Scarlett Johansson (sorry to fans of hers) who takes the role of Mary (The Other Boleyn Girl actually focuses on Mary instead of Anne) and I have quite enough of King Henry and his six marriages as well as his obsession to have a male heir. Oops, I am blahing too much
    >i've heard about the movie n well,the fact dat eric bana's gonna play a horny king is sorta a turn-off.lol....i dunno,but there's def gonna be lotsa steamy scenes.i totally agree with u-i'm not into scarlett johansson 2.but i do adore nat.portman....ah...amidala..who could forget...(i hope she's filming another movie with hayden christensen.they've got chem.....)

Back to Rachel McAdams, don't recall seeing much of her other than The Notebook. Quite like the movie. What can I say, I love sappy love stories.
    >i love sappy love stories 2awwwwwww(can't believe dat she broke up with ryan gosling tho..haiz..)

Never read Little Men. I have quite fond memories of Little Women as a kid. It's perfectly alright to read kiddo book, I think I read Daddy Long Legs last year, kekeke.
    >the two "little" novels were written by the same author,if i'm not mistaken but i just can't seem to recall who....it just escapes me.somehow,Little Women,Pride n Prejudice,Sense n Sensibility n other sorta rhyming novels revolving around such genre(sisters in dilemma)confuse me deeply.i can never differentiate one from the other.......