Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3940414243444546474849

Thread: What book are you reading currently?

I recently started reading Nano by Robin Cook. I find that Robin Cook is simply the best in his genre. His books never cease to awe me.

I just finished Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse (what a strange ending). Now switched back to Chinese, reading Moon Crescent Sabre 圓月彎刀 by Gu Long.

Currently reading the Magician: The secrets of of the immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

Just started a new novel on the train to work this morning. It's called The Grace of Kings, Vol.1 of The Dandelion Dynasty by Ken Liu. It came out just April of this year and I've been curious about it since reading this one review on his site that said something along the lines of "Ken Liu wrote the Wuxia version of Game of Thrones. — Wes Chu"

Publisher's Description:
    "Two men rebel together against tyranny—and then become rivals—in this first sweeping book of an epic fantasy series from Ken Liu, recipient of Hugo, Nebula, and World Fantasy awards.

Wily, charming Kuni Garu, a bandit, and stern, fearless Mata Zyndu, the son of a deposed duke, seem like polar opposites. Yet, in the uprising against the emperor, the two quickly become the best of friends after a series of adventures fighting against vast conscripted armies, silk-draped airships, and shapeshifting gods. Once the emperor has been overthrown, however, they each find themselves the leader of separate factions—two sides with very different ideas about how the world should be run and the meaning of justice."

The main character Kuni Garu reminds me a bit of Wei XiaoBao from Jin Yong's DoMD. But I'm just going to try to enjoy this on its own and not compare it to any wuxia stories. I love Mr Liu's concepts of airship battles and kitebattles in an ancient Chinese dynastic type of setting. I'm only about 10% through the novel but I'm hoping it lives up to the reviews.

Edited: Almost 1/2 way through the novel, and I correct myself. Kuni Garu shared Wei XiaoBao's smart mouth, street origin (by his own choice) and back alley sense but has developed in a completely different direction.
    Last edited by Sarafina; 07-29-15 at 10:29 AM.