Thread: Hollywood star Seth Rogen calls Singapore ‘barbaric’, a ‘benevolent dictatorship’

Default Hollywood star Seth Rogen calls Singapore ‘barbaric’, a ‘benevolent dictatorship’

Hollywood star calls Singapore ‘barbaric’, a ‘benevolent dictatorship'

• $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/entertainmentfeat_sg__1/entertainmentfeat_sg-322967234-1300682588.jpg?ymctGvEDGJ11Ke2o')

By Ben Tan Sunday March 20, 2011 09:44 pm PDT

It may have been tongue-in-cheek but Hollywood star Seth Rogen's jokes have sparked furious debate among Singaporeans.
      The Canadian actor and comedian, 29, has come out to say that he was "afraid" of Singapore, calling it "a very frightening place".
      In a tongue-in-cheek interview on popular late-night US television talk show ‘Conan' on 10 Mar, the star of Green Hornet told host Conan O'Brien that most people wouldn't go to Singapore because of its strict laws, much to the audience's amusement.
      He said that the nation's "claim to fame was in the ‘80s when that dude did graffiti and got caned a bunch of times by the government.", referring to Michael Fay, who was sentenced to caning in 1994 after he was found guilty of theft and vandalism.
      He went on to say that "it was very frightening to be there", because of the death penalty for drug smugglers, which he called "his second career".
      Rogen, who was in town on 25 Jan along with Jay Chou to promote his movie, also weighed in on the ban on chewing gum, with O'Brien expressing incredulity that such a thing could be banned in Singapore, calling it very "hardcore". He also jokingly called Singapore "a benevolent dictatorship... where no one has ever voted."
      Conan is one of the most popular late-night talk shows in America, with each episode drawing an average of 1.3 million viewers.
      Local celebrities Yahoo! Singapore spoke to said Singaporeans shouldn't get too worked up about Rogen's comments.
      Actor-cum-singer Nat Ho tweeted in response: ‘I've just watched it, I think it's all right in the context of the talk show la. We shouldn't get our knickers in a bunch over this. ‘Cos' I think that would only prove how uptight we are. Live and let live. It doesn't hurt anyone.'
      Popular actress Joanne Peh told Yahoo! via a tweet: "I promise I will enlighten him about Singapore when I am cast in Green Hornet 2."
      However, other Singapore netizens thought Rogen was ignorant and insensitive.

Forum user smartrader said: "He talked like a moron. He did not know that by saying such things he should never step into Singapore again - if he is so scared."
    Monkeyface expressed disappointment with the actor, wondering: "Is he trying to be funny because he is on the Conan O' Brien show or just displaying his ignorance?"
    Others, however, called the interview funny.
    Brainiac said: "Hey guys... Don't you think you are taking this video too seriously... I actually thought what he said was pretty funny! There's a difference between insulting a country in a derogatory manner and poking fun at its idiosyncrasies... If you think about it, the things he says about our gum being banned and people not being able to vote is pretty true!"
    Undergraduate Jonathon Jacob, 24, felt Rogen "jumped to conclusions too early from stories he heard prior to his trip. Anyway, he was on an American talkshow. Nothing like an American making fun of an Asian state."
    Twitter user Vinyarb (@vinyarb) also tweeted, "Aiyoh, can we really take him seriously, knowing 1) he's a comedian and 2) he's on Conan.
    link
    http://sg.promotion.yahoo.com/entert...ipa%80%99.html

Is he going overboard ?
    Last edited by galvatron; 03-22-11 at 05:34 AM.

I find it annoying that people get over sensitive about these things. All the comments against him are just fluff words like 'insensitive' 'ignorant' etc.
    If what he says is wrong, how is it wrong? What statements of his is actually incorrect?

What Rogen stated are truth. Things such as the Michael Fey guy, chewing gum ban, etc. Those people who commented against Rogen are guilty and ashamed hence they jumped over those things said by Rogen.

Personally, I'm with Rogen, but I would've put my remarks more bluntly than he did - There are no dumb rules and regulations in Singapore, but it's the people who pass them (the rules) that are dumb. ‘benevolent dictatorship’? - No. It's Bullshit democracy.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 03-22-11 at 09:37 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Rogen is a moron. Singapore's justice system is among the best in the world. Just love their merciless laws such as mandatory death penalty for drug dealers and other offences. If north america has Singapore justice system, crime would be much much lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Rogen is a moron. Singapore's justice system is among the best in the world. Just love their merciless laws such as mandatory death penalty for drug dealers and other offences. If north america has Singapore justice system, crime would be much much lower.
    What's your education level, TC? I think you will do very well as a politician here... gotta be a favourite of the Lees.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    What's your education level, TC? I think you will do very well as a politician here... gotta be a favourite of the Lees.
    Master of Science in Mathematics. I am happy with my job as a private math tutor and do not want to be a politician.
    I don't know the Lees but Singaporeans should be thankful and proud that they have great government, among the best in the world. Guo Xiang, do you have the A&E channel? If you do, you should watch the show called "The First 48" then you can decide on which type of society is better. A conservative society with little crime like Singapore or liberal society like the ghetto neighborhoods in the US?

I heard that there are a lot of Teochew people live in Singapore. Are you a Teochew??

Master of Science in Mathematics. I am happy with my job as a private math tutor and do not want to be a politician.
    I don't know the Lees but Singaporeans should be thankful and proud that they have great government, among the best in the world. Guo Xiang, do you have the A&E channel? If you do, you should watch the show called "The First 48" then you can decide on which type of society is better. A conservative society with little crime like Singapore or liberal society like the ghetto neighborhoods in the US?

I heard that there are a lot of Teochew people live in Singapore. Are you a Teochew??
    Nope, I'm not Teochew.

Each society has their pros and cons so there's no best society... it also just depends which one suits you more. Will you be coming to live in Singapore anytime soon?

Nope, I'm not Teochew.
    Each society has their pros and cons so there's no best society... it also just depends which one suits you more.
    Sure, but I wouldn't want to live in a liberal (ghetto) neighborhood where there are lot of drugs and very high crime. I prefer conservative, quiet, and peaceful neighborhood.

Will you be coming to live in Singapore anytime soon?
    No. What can I do in Singapore? I am enjoying my simple and quiet life here in Canada. I do not want to change. However, I would love to visit Singapore someday, but not anytime soon.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 03-28-11 at 08:06 PM.

Singapore is small and therefore easy to police. The USA would quickly bankrupt itself to become like Singapore. That's something those in the Communist Party of China would do well to take note of. Hell, they already spend more on internal security than they do on foreign defense. You do the math.

Sure, but I wouldn't want to live in a liberal (ghetto) neighborhood where there are lot of drugs and very high crime. I prefer conservative, quiet, and peaceful neighborhood.

No. What can I do in Singapore? I am enjoying my simple and quiet life here in Canada. I do not want to change. However, I would love to visit Singapore someday, but not anytime soon.
    You shouldn't just visit - live and experience the system in here and feel the inconveniences it can bring you, then you're talking.

If Rogen, who hasn't stepped in here, is labeled a moron given those comments he made; I would think - so are you.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

well he aint a singaporean, he can say whatever he want and get away with it. i shall keep my mouth zip on this. lol.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Given that the punishments meted out for offences in Singapore are in many cases considered barbaric in western society, I can see where Rogan is coming from; just like I can see where a Singaporean making negative comments about law and order in the States is coming from.

Education is highly prized in Singapore. Teachers at A-level colleges probably earn c. S$5,000/month and private tutors can also do very well. TC you should actually think about living there.

Quote Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
    Education is highly prized in Singapore. Teachers at A-level colleges probably earn c. S$5,000/month and private tutors can also do very well. TC you should actually think about living there.
    That's $5000 SGD/month which is around $4000 USD/month right? Lecturer or Assistant Professor? Is that pre-tax?
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Quote Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
    Given that the punishments meted out for offences in Singapore are in many cases considered barbaric in western society, I can see where Rogan is coming from; just like I can see where a Singaporean making negative comments about law and order in the States is coming from.

Before or after CPF?

For 4K, after CPF the earnings would be 3.2K. For 5K, earnings would be 4K after CPF. That said, tutoring is extremely lucrative.

If TC goes into politics here (very easy for him to do so, and assuming it's still PAP rule), he will do very well since he has the exact same ideology as the party's topguns. But then again, he'd probably not come over since cars here are really costly and it's even costlier to drive with all the gantries.

Before or after CPF?

For 4K, after CPF the earnings would be 3.2K. For 5K, earnings would be 4K after CPF. That said, tutoring is extremely lucrative.

If TC goes into politics here (very easy for him to do so, and assuming it's still PAP rule), he will do very well since he has the exact same ideology as the party's topguns. But then again, he'd probably not come over since cars here are really costly and it's even costlier to drive with all the gantries.
    I do not want to become a politician!!
    As for Math Tutoring, I am doing ok here. As for driving, I do not want to live without a car, never. Gas price in Toronto has been going up quite a lot lately. It's currently at about $1.35 liter. No matter how much it costs, I need to drive as my job required me to do so and wouldn't want to live on public transportation either no matter how convenient it gets. I would rather pay for $3 per liter of gas than taking bus for free.