Thread: Were the Mo Dong 7 Heroes Cheung 3 Fung's only direct students?

Default Were the Mo Dong 7 Heroes Cheung 3 Fung's only direct students?

During the time of HSDS, Mo Dong Sect, despite being in operation for only a few decades, was already a major sect with hundreds (if not thousands) of members. Only the Mo Dong 7 Heroes, however, were heard to address Cheung 3 Fung directly as "teacher."

Does that mean that the vast majority of Mo Dong Sect students in HSDS were either Cheung 3 Fung's grandstudents or even great grandstudents, and only the 7 Heroes were his direct students? That seems sort of odd because at the beginning of HSDS, the oldest of the 7 Heroes, Sung Yeun Kiu, was only in his thirties or maybe forties, and the youngest, Mok Sing Guk, was only in his early twenties. If that's the case, then Cheung 3 Fung didn't start accepting disciples and heading the Mo Dong Sect until within thirty or so years of HSDS's main storyline beginning...allowing very little time for the sect to have grown as large as it did.

You've got 7 very capable individuals 'running amok' in the jianghu. That would bring many to Wudang's door.

If you value quality over quanity. It was pretty common in Chinese martial arts circles to accept a small number of direct students. For example Bruce Lee is famous for being a student of Wing Chun and Yip Man, but he mainly learned from Yip Man's senior students. Yip Man accepted only a small number of students before he opened his doors. There's even disputes on who was Yip Man's last closed door student.

I'm sure I read that the last 2 of the 7 heroes actually learned from their seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    I'm sure I read that the last 2 of the 7 heroes actually learned from their seniors.
    They were taught by their seniors, but in terms of rank they addressed Zhang Sanfeng as teacher, which is the main thing. There must have been other students, though, just maybe not at the calibre of the famous seven. Maybe I should rewatch the serials and see if any little kelefe Taoist runs in and announced that "big martial brother this... " or "5th martial brother that...", but that's not canon, I guess. We don't really get to see the little Taoists at the start of HSDS, though.. only later on, most notably when Zhao Min invades Wudang, and by that point all the little Taoists call Zhang Sanfeng grand-teacher.