Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Legend of the Book and Sword '08- George Hu, Adam Cheng

Default Legend of the Book and Sword '08- Qiao Zhen Yu, Adam Cheng

I just discovered there's a new adaptation of Jinyong's "Book and Sword" currently filming in Hengdian, China. I'm surprised that there hasn't been much, if any news about this production, especially it being a JY adaptation and boasting famous faces for its leads. Taiwanese actor George Hu is supposed to play Chen Jialuo and Adam Cheng reprises his role as Qianlong (he played the Emperor, as well as Chen Jialuo in the 1976 adaptation as well). The director for this series previously directed the latest "Fox Valent of Snowy Mt" starring Nie Yuan.

Source: http://ent.sina.com.cn/v/m/2008-01-22/21281887974.shtml

Cast:

Qiao Zhen Yu- Chen Jialuo, Fu Kangan
    Adam Cheng- Qianlong
    Niki Chow- Huo Qingtong
    Lu Chen- Li Yuanzhi
    Liu Ying- Princess Fragrance
    Deep Ng- Yu Yutong
    Li Yuan- Xu Tianhong
    Chen Sha Li- Empress Dowager
    Liu De Kai- Yu Wanting

George Hu, who was originally cast as CJL, has been replaced by Qiao Zhen Yu. Yang Mi, who was originally cast as PF, has also been replaced by newcomer Liu Ying

More info: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/The_Book_and_the_Sword
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 01-14-09 at 01:09 PM.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

I want to know who plays the 7th brother of the Red Flower Society. Not my favorite of Jin Yong, but I do like some of the characters. NEVER liked Chen JiaLuo though.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I want to know who plays the 7th brother of the Red Flower Society. Not my favorite of Jin Yong, but I do like some of the characters. NEVER liked Chen JiaLuo though.
    It seems that Chen Jialuo has never been a popular "hero" among Jinyong fans. I'm neutral with him, though I prefer the supporting characters better as well

Yes, I'm interested in knowing who plays Xu Tianhong (7th brother) as well as his wife, Zhou Qi. The pair provide some, if not most of the comic relief in the story. I wonder who plays Zhang Zhao Zhong, Wen Tai Lai (4th brother) and his wife Luo Bing as well. Hopefully a proper cast list with filming pics will be released soon. The 2002 version was nice except for the ending and certain of the casts, especially Qianlong.

Wise Fool

Here are some pictures taken by Ting Ting, Anna and Peggy on the set

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.adamcheng.net/bbs/attachments/month_0802/20080221_35de355ec0176f80703dhSIZrlnYpvFK.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.adamcheng.net/bbs/attachments/month_0802/20080221_a740098675b4a0a3601b81ULcad9hSd0.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.adamcheng.net/bbs/attachments/month_0802/20080221_51a942f15799a0ffad44OP3inG36AudR.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.adamcheng.net/bbs/attachments/month_0802/20080221_515ee02fa2a74e0d6fe7JiSiC3EPPq3X.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.adamcheng.net/bbs/attachments/month_0802/20080221_94a5e8a1792760ba98cbyqJ3TYBbS9wk.jpg')
    Last edited by adamcheng22447; 10-06-09 at 04:55 PM.
    ♥ Adam

Awesome! I do welcomed another adaptation of Book and Sword since 1) they do tend to be rarer than the Condor trilogy adaptations and 2) I'll get to see another interpretation of my 2nd favorite JY girl- Huo Qing Tong (I'm a big fan of smart, strong women!)

Though I admit I tend to lose interest about halfway through Book and Sword adaptations, when the story gets less light-hearted, sometimes even melodramatic, and the fight for Princess Fragrance (usually a somewhat bland character) gets a little wearing.

Thank u for the pics adamcheng22447! I have no doubts about Adam's acting skills though the only qualm I have with him portraying Qianlong would be his age. Frankly, he would look more like George Hu's father, rather than older brother.

Do u happen to have info/pics of the other characters as well?

To yanfeng, I agree that the later bits of the story tend to get rather tedious, especially if the actress for Princess Fragrance is not very likable, which would add on to the dislike many anti-fans (esp fans of HQT) have for her.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 02-22-08 at 01:21 PM.

Wise Fool

What are the age differences between Qian Long and Chen Jia Luo? I always thought there was like a 10 or may even be 20 years difference between them, the other adaptations I've seen make Qian Long much older than Chen Jia Luo with mustache and beard. Or is it Qian Long's maturity that I'm mistaken? Haha
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

another jy series in the making =D and starring the legendary adam cheng
    问世间,情是何物,直教生死相许?
    Lim Yo Hwan FIGHTING!

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    Thank u for the pics adamcheng22447! I have no doubts about Adam's acting skills though the only qualm I have with him portraying Qianlong would be his age. Frankly, he would look more like George Hu's father, rather than older brother.

Do u happen to have info/pics of the other characters as well?

To yanfeng, I agree that the later bits of the story tend to get rather tedious, especially if the actress for Princess Fragrance is not very likable, which would add on to the dislike many anti-fans (esp fans of HQT) have for her.
    Do you recall that Adam's Qian Long in "Book & Sword" 1977's version had a mustache and appeared to be much older than his Chan Ka Lok? I think it's not going to be a big problem

Sorry, so far I only have Adam's pictures taken by his fans. I think it's more difficult for any other fans to visit the stars on set now as many reporters have been harassing Adam since Lydia Sum's death. The staffs have increased more security so the filming can go on smoothly.
    ♥ Adam

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    well, as the story goes, qianlong's "son" (fu kang an) is around chen jia luo's age. so i would assume the ages are pretty different.

Adam Cheung should be great to see back reprising his role!

George Hu is actually an interesting choice for CJL. I've only ever seen him in Wu Shi Lang, where he was good as the comic 2nd lead role. I watched that series for Wallace Huo, but ended the series rooting for George Hu's hapless, sweet, loyal character. So we know George Hu can do cute comedy, but JiaLuo is going to be primarily a dramatic role- I'm looking forward to seeing him try out a leading role, with a new type of character in a new genre!

Who do you guys think might be cast as HQT and PF?

I think the actress who was "Little Bun" in Wing Chun would make a good PF. She managed cute and innocent without being unintelligent or annoying- and it would be nice to have a PF we can respect at last.

HQT- sometimes she's a character that gets marginalized once PF comes into the picture. I'm hoping HQT gets more than just guest appearances after the first half of the series, and someone like Li BingBing would make a great HQT- I liked LBB's portrayal of smart, gutsy Meng Li Jun in the CCTV adaptation of Eternal Happiness.

(And I'm torn on whether or not to hope that HQT would end up with CJL- on one hand I think JiaLuo would be an idiot to ditch a girl like HQT, and it seems like but on the other hand, it does seem bad to modify a JY novel in such a big way. Also somewhat agree with the opinion floating around spcnet that CJL, bland as he is, is not quite worthy of HQT either!)

Finally, another remake for this series. I've only watched 2002 version, but it wasn't very accurate. But I read the book, since it's available in English.

I like HQT and Li Yuan Zi. I don't really have favorites among the male heroes.

adam cheng? lol, havent seen him for a long time
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    What are the age differences between Qian Long and Chen Jia Luo? I always thought there was like a 10 or may even be 20 years difference between them, the other adaptations I've seen make Qian Long much older than Chen Jia Luo with mustache and beard. Or is it Qian Long's maturity that I'm mistaken? Haha
    I think there's a 10plus age difference between the 2 characters. Qianlong was around 40(?) whereas Chen Jialuo was 20-ish if i recall rightly. I wont deny that there is a huge age gap between the two characters but whatever the case, they shouldnt look like father and son. Maybe I'm just influenced by the previous adaptations. In the 02 version, Chen Chao Yong looked older than Vincent Zhao but it was believable that he was portraying a much older brother rather than say an uncle or dad, or maybe Vincent was just a more matured Jialuo.

Quote Originally Posted by adamcheng22447 View Post
    Do you recall that Adam's Qian Long in "Book & Sword" 1977's version had a mustache and appeared to be much older than his Chan Ka Lok? I think it's not going to be a big problem
    Yeah, Qianlong looked older than Chen Jialuo in the 1976 adaptation but not alot older. In fact I didn't think Qianlong looked anywhere near 10years older than Chen Jialuo. Probably because they got Adam Cheng to portray both roles which made it slightly more challenging for Adam to convincingly portray the age gap thing.

I still think Vincent and Chen Chao Yong looked best age-wise, as in the age gap seemed very appropriate and believable. A pity they did not have much chemistry. Nonetheless, im not complaining about Adam playing Qianlong once again. Maybe he would have chemistry with George Hu and hopefully George does well in serious, matured characters.

Quote Originally Posted by adamcheng22447 View Post
    Sorry, so far I only have Adam's pictures taken by his fans. I think it's more difficult for any other fans to visit the stars on set now as many reporters have been harassing Adam since Lydia Sum's death. The staffs have increased more security so the filming can go on smoothly.
    You bet! I did a quick search for news and all i got were stuff like Adam not returning/returning for Lydia's burial/memorial service etc.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 02-27-08 at 09:54 AM.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by yanfeng View Post
    I think the actress who was "Little Bun" in Wing Chun would make a good PF. She managed cute and innocent without being unintelligent or annoying- and it would be nice to have a PF we can respect at last.

HQT- sometimes she's a character that gets marginalized once PF comes into the picture. I'm hoping HQT gets more than just guest appearances after the first half of the series, and someone like Li BingBing would make a great HQT- I liked LBB's portrayal of smart, gutsy Meng Li Jun in the CCTV adaptation of Eternal Happiness.
    I dont think people will ever be satisfied with whoever that plays Princess Fragrance. I dont blame the audience or the actress though. It's more to do with the characterization on Jin Yong's part. This fairy-from-heaven character just seems too unworldly and unrealistic a human. Even more so than say someone like Xiao Long Nu. I guess JY was trying his best to paint an astonishingly "perfect" lady, a stereotype of every guy's dream- unearthly aura, incomparable beauty, unattainable innocence, purity and naiveness- and someone all men would give their lives to protect. However, it is precisely the same reasons which make PF seem bimbo-like and helpless, factors which tend to irk and annoy people. It doesnt help especially when she is juxtaposed with such an intelligent and capable sister.

On a side note, I think Li Bingbing would make an excellent Huo Qingtong. She has that independent streak in her and shes good with strong and smart characters. I think Huo Siyan would make an appropriate PF. She has that sweet and delicate aura about her and her acting style is very suitable for PF- slow-moving, sometimes stiff and innocent-bordering-on-confused gazes. Imagine a more natural version of Liu Yifei. However, Huo Siyan's looks tend to vary alot across different series/genres. Sometimes she appears very beautiful in certain costumes/hair and sometimes weird and plain in others. Nonethless, just give her similar costumes/hair to what she had in "Liao Zhai Zhi Yi" and she'll look good as PF.

Wise Fool

Default Li Yuan Zhi

Finally managed to find info on another member of the cast- Lu Cheng. She'll play Li Yuanzhi.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://photocdn.sohu.com/20080222/Img255310936.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://photocdn.sohu.com/20080222/Img255310937.jpg')

source: http://yule.sohu.com/20080222/n255310935.shtml

Sun Li (actress for LYZ in the 02 version) looks prettier and more strong-headed but I think Lu Cheng looks pleasant and cheery enough. Hopefully she'll make a good LYZ, who seems to be a favourite with many people. Oddly though, I've never really been attracted to the character, despite Sun Li's awesome portrayal in the '02 version. Maybe LYZ pales somewhat in comparison to HQT or maybe she's much too typical a JY character. She reminds me of Wen Qingqing- both are smart, cheeky, mischievous, extremely strong-headed and insistent when it comes to love, though both lack that special factor which attracts me in the same way as how im attracted to similar characters like Huang Rong and Zhao Min. However, compared to WQQ, I would say LYZ is a more likable/less annoying character.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 02-27-08 at 10:41 AM.

Wise Fool

So far decent costumes, nothing outrageous. I saw someone mentioned Flying Fox series up there and was expecting to see ugly costumes again.

Quote Originally Posted by yufeihong View Post
    So far decent costumes, nothing outrageous. I saw someone mentioned Flying Fox series up there and was expecting to see ugly costumes again.
    Haha, probably because they hired the director of Flying Fox, not the stylist or the costume designer But yeah, the costumes look normal and mainstream for now, something which i like. I dont particularly dig avant-garde costumes, especially for ancient/historical series as it takes the mood away and make the cast look comical. Unless its some fantasy genre or something. I like HQT and PF's costumes in the 02 version alot- pretty, simple but appropriate with one or two eye-catching accessories.

Wise Fool

LYZ actress is cute, though very young looking! Yikes- I guess I forgot that LYZ is a very young character. Do you guys know what else she's done before? LYZ's a cool character and would love to know that the actress has done good work previously!

PF- I agree it'll take a major rewrite, not just a good actress, to make the character loveable. Interestingly, either over time they've redone the character for PF or tastes in female characters have changed. I know my mom watched the '76 Adam Cheng/Liza Wang version of Book and Sword and she liked PF better as the sweeter of the two sisters, and seems like, from her words, it was generally accepted that its pretty obvious CJL would choose her over HQT. Funny since I haven't met anyone in my generation who would say the same today!

Still anxiously awaiting the announcment for who would portray HQT!

LYZ actress is cute, though very young looking! Yikes- I guess I forgot that LYZ is a very young character. Do you guys know what else she's done before? LYZ's a cool character and would love to know that the actress has done good work previously!
    Seems like Lu Cheng is a relatively new actress. She's done supporting characters in a couple of major productions. One of it is "Si Shi Tong Tang" which i dont think has been released yet.
    Sina site: http://ent.sina.com.cn/f/v/sstt/
    Pic of her character: $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i3.sinaimg.cn/ent/v/2008-01-16/U1735P28T3D1879628F326DT20080116180752.jpg')

The other is a ZJZ production titled "Da Tang You Xia Zhuan". There's an spcnet thread for this series and someone mentioned that the series will be aired on CCTV soon.
    Sina site: http://ent.sina.com.cn/v/m/f/dtyxz/index.html

PF- I agree it'll take a major rewrite, not just a good actress, to make the character loveable. Interestingly, either over time they've redone the character for PF or tastes in female characters have changed. I know my mom watched the '76 Adam Cheng/Liza Wang version of Book and Sword and she liked PF better as the sweeter of the two sisters, and seems like, from her words, it was generally accepted that its pretty obvious CJL would choose her over HQT. Funny since I haven't met anyone in my generation who would say the same today!
    Actually you raised a good point. How people view the "ideal" woman has been and is changing across different generations. Probably the reason why PF isn't popular or liked at all with the present audience, especially by women. I would tend to think that she would probably score more points with the guys though. My mom watched the 1976 adaptation as well when she was young and she's always disliked PF. She's a HQT fan

Wise Fool