Thread: Protest in Inner Mongolia

Default Protest in Inner Mongolia

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&rl...og&sa=N&tab=wn
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/wo...1mongolia.html
    http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2...lian-protests/

This is nonsense. The Han Chinese hit and run driver got arrested and justice will be served. There is absolutely no need to protest. People are crazy these days.

Given the weak rule of law in the Mainland, these protests will ensure a speedy and fair trial.

The weak rule of law and opaque court system is why those protests happens in the first place.

Weak rule of law??
    This must be the biggest joke of the day. Punishment in mainland China is much much harsher than pretty much all the western world. I hope China stands strong against those illegal protesters and crush them with her iron fist with no mercy.

Based on your answer, I believe you do not have a strong understanding of what rule of law means.

Harsh Punishment /= Rule of Law.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Weak rule of law??
    This must be the biggest joke of the day. Punishment in mainland China is much much harsher than pretty much all the western world. I hope China stands strong against those illegal protesters and crush them with her iron fist with no mercy.
    Harsh punishment does not equal to a strong rule of law.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Harsh is harsh, but it takes more than harsh punishments.
    I actually kind of subscribe to the notion that law should be stronger than the people (gosh, I *am* turning into a borderline legalist). But in Mainland China, money and connections are (for the greater part) stronger than the law. And if people keep quiet about it, things are not gonna change for the better anytime soon.
    I am the last person to bash PRC (I'll gladly leave that job to Dirt...;-p), but corruption and "weak rule of law" *is* a huge problem in China.
    Do not confuse rule of law with rule of power, TC.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    Harsh is harsh, but it takes more than harsh punishments.
    I actually kind of subscribe to the notion that law should be stronger than the people (gosh, I *am* turning into a borderline legalist). But in Mainland China, money and connections are (for the greater part) stronger than the law.
    Any proof to it or just words.

And if people keep quiet about it, things are not gonna change for the better anytime soon.
    I am the last person to bash PRC (I'll gladly leave that job to Dirt...;-p), but corruption and "weak rule of law" *is* a huge problem in China.
    Do not confuse rule of law with rule of power, TC.
    I did not say PRC is great nor saint, no government is. I did not say China justice system is great nor corrupt free. However, there is no good reason to protest in this case. The hit and run driver got arrested and will be put on trial just like everyone else. What else do they want? If the government backs down and give them more rights they will abuse it just like the civil right leaders in the US. I hope China doesn't make the same mistake like the US.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/09/wo...9mongolia.html

Swift and fair justice has been delivered. But, poor guy doesn't deserve the death penalty if it was an accident. Politics. What are you gonna do?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post

Swift and fair justice has been delivered. But, poor guy doesn't deserve the death penalty if it was an accident. Politics. What are you gonna do?
    Thanks to the Mongolian protesters, the poor guy got much harsher that what he deserved. I guess the Mongolians are happy and can celebrate their victory now, but I hope they will tastes the same medicine when the table is turning around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post

Yeap. Very swift and fair justice.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Thanks to the Mongolian protesters, the poor guy got much harsher that what he deserved. I guess the Mongolians are happy and can celebrate their victory now, but I hope they will tastes the same medicine when the table is turning around.
    Weren't you an advocate earlier in the thread for harsh punishments? You're confusing me.