Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Career Changes/Switching?

  1. #1
    Moderator Suet Seung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    14,053

    Default Career Changes/Switching?

    Has anyone here gone through a career change or finished a degree in something and decided to do something totally different? Or went back to school to study for a different career?

    I have heard and know some people who changed their career and went off from the career path they originally planned.

    Anyone here care to share their experience of career switching?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

    Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

  2. #2
    Member mi do ri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Are you considering switching career in the near future? I'm still working on my first degree right now, but I think I will want a different degree/career in the future. I think some people just happened to naturally fall into a career path where they didn't have to get educated or formal training for it.
    Less Than Perfect

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Has anyone here gone through a career change or finished a degree in something and decided to do something totally different?
    This guy I know. He got a Master's in Business Administration and upon graduation decided to work as a dry cleaner.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,937

    Default

    My initial career plan was to work in the big consulting companies like Boston, McKinsey, Towers Perrin. With a degree and no working experience, I started in a small private consulting firm, planning to join the big ones later. But I realized that I enjoy working in the small firm so there is very little office politics and much freedom to manage our work. I resigned after 12 years to take a break, planning to go back to consulting again later.

    During the break, I help out in two friends' businesses as sleeping partners (zero investment from me) - newspaper distribution and ice cream shop. So I become sort of businessman. Newspaper distribution is a tough job - wake up 3-4 am, drive to printing houses, help in delivery, ... Ice cream business was good. Left both in the end after 2 years. For newspaper, I told my friend (partner) that I cannot stand the early hours. For ice-cream, the main partner decided to sell away the business.

    Now. I have more or less go back to my first job - consulting but on a freelance basis. I also do some volunteer work helping old people quite regularly.

    I hope that I should do more social enterprise work in the future. E.g. helping people who cannot work full-time due to various reasons like need to take care of family members to get part-time jobs.

    My advice is simple:
    (a) save as you work, even if it is very little.
    (b) do what you can do

  5. #5
    Senior Member HuangYushi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Under a pile of work ....
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    I have always wanted to be a teacher, and I am one now, but the route I took was quite circuitous. It included one college, two universities, two accountancy qualifications, three countries as well as working through a whole gamut of industries like electronics manufacturing (the in-thing in Asia in the 1990s), writing/editing/publishing (people thought I was crazy), accounting (people said that was the original field that I was given a scholarship for, so I should have stuck with it for the rest of my life) and small-business consulting (had a company that specialised in helping start-ups, mom-n-pops, one-man shows, etc, do better). Then, I finally did a post-grad in education and got my teaching licence!

    No one really believes me when I tell them that all the things I did before becoming a teacher actually helped me become a better teacher today.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

  6. #6
    Moderator kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Now. I have more or less go back to my first job - consulting but on a freelance basis. I also do some volunteer work helping old people quite regularly.
    Would freelance be very unstable income? I heard a radio show that interview a freelance photographer. Although he got the freedom, he also work more and longer hours before, work stop, money stop and he need to keep up the reputation so that people find to work in the future.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Would freelance be very unstable income? I heard a radio show that interview a freelance photographer. Although he got the freedom, he also work more and longer hours before, work stop, money stop and he need to keep up the reputation so that people find to work in the future.
    Yes, the income is very unstable. But, I am currently doing three consultancy projects from my first company. The first company did ask me to go back to work full time. But I have told them that I will consider. And sometimes I have to reject projects because I am too busy. Then why a few weeks ago, I was looking for a more permanent job, more towards social enterprise, less profit-driven work.

  8. #8
    Senior Member sniffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    美国俄勒冈波特兰市
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    I'm contemplating a career change. It won't be an immediate one, though. I have a lot of planning to do. I'm trying to figure out how to pursue a career around my love of the Mandarin language. I'm not quite sure how to develop this into a career, but I'm really hoping I can find a way.

    Right now I'm a system administrator/programmer, and I don't think this is the kind of job I'm really suited for. I just have to stick it out until I can find a way to make my interest in Chinese pay off for me in the employment area of my life.

    I hope I'll be able to follow Huang Yushi's example and change careers successfully to get into something I really love.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

  9. #9
    Moderator Suet Seung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    14,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    I'm contemplating a career change. It won't be an immediate one, though. I have a lot of planning to do. I'm trying to figure out how to pursue a career around my love of the Mandarin language. I'm not quite sure how to develop this into a career, but I'm really hoping I can find a way.

    Right now I'm a system administrator/programmer, and I don't think this is the kind of job I'm really suited for. I just have to stick it out until I can find a way to make my interest in Chinese pay off for me in the employment area of my life.

    I hope I'll be able to follow Huang Yushi's example and change careers successfully to get into something I really love.
    How about teaching English in China and you can study more Mandarin too? Or maybe you want to stay in the U.S. then that would not work out. A Chinese/English translator for business people or government officials?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

    Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

  10. #10
    Senior Member sniffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    美国俄勒冈波特兰市
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    How about teaching English in China and you can study more Mandarin too? Or maybe you want to stay in the U.S. then that would not work out. A Chinese/English translator for business people or government officials?
    I'd like to get into translating web pages, or better yet, subtitling Chinese movies for the US market. I'd like even more to translate novels. I don't think I"d want to be an interpreter, though. That seems like it would be very stressful.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

  11. #11
    Senior Member junny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    With Max
    Posts
    2,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    I'd like to get into translating web pages, or better yet, subtitling Chinese movies for the US market. I'd like even more to translate novels. I don't think I"d want to be an interpreter, though. That seems like it would be very stressful.
    Take a general translation or specific subtitling course, perhaps?
    玉木宏

    blog

  12. #12
    Senior Member Ren Ying Ying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hell in the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    3,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    I'd like to get into translating web pages, or better yet, subtitling Chinese movies for the US market. I'd like even more to translate novels. I don't think I"d want to be an interpreter, though. That seems like it would be very stressful.
    If you want to do translating, maybe do a trial with novel translation or a fansub group to see how much you'd enjoy it.

    If you want to stay in the US, you can still try to teach english to chinese immigrants. Depending on where you live, it could be in pretty high demand. Sometimes, such classes are offered in local community colleges.

    Just out of curiosity, what department of Administration/Programming do you do? Maybe if you company has a section aimed at international relations (particularly with Chinese speaking areas), you can start working from there.
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 07-03-11 at 06:39 PM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    No one really believes me when I tell them that all the things I did before becoming a teacher actually helped me become a better teacher today.
    How interesting! I had no idea you did those things before teacherhood.

    How did all those things help you become a better teacher?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  14. #14
    Senior Member remember_Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    3,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    How interesting! I had no idea you did those things before teacherhood.

    How did all those things help you become a better teacher?
    I think all that experiences contributed to his exposure hence make him a better teacher so that he could relate/share with his students.

    Anyone could share their thoughts/experience in jobs on Marketing (hmmm..... not the grocery-shopping type)? How do you find this sector of profession?
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

    I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

  15. #15
    Senior Member sniffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    美国俄勒冈波特兰市
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    If you want to do translating, maybe do a trial with novel translation or a fansub group to see how much you'd enjoy it.

    If you want to stay in the US, you can still try to teach english to chinese immigrants. Depending on where you live, it could be in pretty high demand. Sometimes, such classes are offered in local community colleges.

    Just out of curiosity, what department of Administration/Programming do you do? Maybe if you company has a section aimed at international relations (particularly with Chinese speaking areas), you can start working from there.
    I'm entertaining thoughts about trying a translation, though it's difficult to find the time. But maybe my Chinese teacher can help me out with it a little bit. She doesn't understand why I like wuxia fiction so much, but she encourages anything that involves learning more Chinese.

    As far as my job, I"m an administrator for an Oracle database that was developed at my company, and a programmer for a proprietary document generation system that is only used by a very small number of businesses. My company doesn't have any international business. It's US only. We have a business partnership with IBM's Global Delivery Centers, which have a section in China, but unfortunately we're not working with the Chinese section.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

  16. #16
    Senior Member Grundle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Denial
    Posts
    352

    Default

    I got an Engineering degree in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science and have worked in the field for the last 8 years. About 4 years ago I decided I hate it and wanted to go to medical school to become a doctor. The last 4 years have been working while taking night classes to get the prerequisite classes I need to be accepted into a Medical school. Hopefully by this time next year I will be in Medical School
    --=={Grundle}==--

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grundle View Post
    The last 4 years have been working while taking night classes to get the prerequisite classes I need to be accepted into a Medical school. Hopefully by this time next year I will be in Medical School
    How are you coming along? I am contemplating going back to school but am conflicted between mba and nursing degree. My friends with mba are unemployed so that's not very encouraging. Nursing school scares me because science has always been my weak subject. Is chemistry challenging (I've never taken chem)? Looking at job postings, seems like medical field is the way to go. However, I don't know if I should get into it simply for the job opportunities and pay since nursing is hard work.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    How are you coming along? I am contemplating going back to school but am conflicted between mba and nursing degree. My friends with mba are unemployed so that's not very encouraging. Nursing school scares me because science has always been my weak subject. Is chemistry challenging (I've never taken chem)? Looking at job postings, seems like medical field is the way to go. However, I don't know if I should get into it simply for the job opportunities and pay since nursing is hard work.
    Based on my observations and one/two friends who are nurse, I think one needs some passion/interest to be a nurse. If one becomes a nurse for job/pay, I think the person is likely to hate the job pretty soon.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    6,638

    Default

    registered nurses get paid a lot, like $40-60/hr
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

    Entries due July 31st, 2016!

  20. #20
    Senior Member remember_Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    3,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grundle View Post
    I got an Engineering degree in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science and have worked in the field for the last 8 years. About 4 years ago I decided I hate it and wanted to go to medical school to become a doctor. The last 4 years have been working while taking night classes to get the prerequisite classes I need to be accepted into a Medical school. Hopefully by this time next year I will be in Medical School
    I feel hopeful for a career switch when I read your post, although I don't hate what I do right now... kinda enjoying it due to the rather unpredictable challenges every now and then.

    I thought it takes many years to become a doctor? All the best in the career switch and remember that it's more important that you have tried no matter the outcome.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

    I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Similar Threads

  1. The best way to ruin your writing career
    By Banh Mi in forum Academia
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-20-11, 11:10 PM
  2. Nadir of GWM's career?
    By pannonian in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-30-10, 01:13 AM
  3. Recession Proof Your Career
    By KeepFishin in forum Academia
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-16-09, 02:35 AM
  4. Career Advice Needed
    By pandamao in forum Academia
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-24-08, 09:12 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-30-06, 03:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •