Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please stop cultural genocide in Toronto!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Milleniums?

Ok, I take it you are just exaggerating for effect.

But, it's still not true. Shark Fin soup only dates back to the Ming Dynasty and last time only the rich people eat. So, it's not the main dish in wedding for milleniums. Many chinese people in the olden days couldn't even afford to have chicken in the menu, let alone shark fin soup.
    I was planning on staying out of this argument entirely, but because you guys are butchering English and Latin so horribly...

[crazy English teacher rant]
    It's MILLENNIA! M-I-L-L-E-N-N-I-A! THERE IS NO SUCH WORD AS "MILLENIUMS" IN ENGLISH OR LATIN![/crazy English teacher rant]

For the love of Damo, people!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I was planning on staying out of this argument entirely, but because you guys are butchering English and Latin so horribly...

It's MILLENNIA! M-I-L-L-E-N-N-I-A! THERE IS NO SUCH WORD AS "MILLENIUMS" IN ENGLISH OR LATIN![/crazy English teacher rant]

Just being consistent with TC's post.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I think they meant to use millennium, which is in the dictionary and the Bible too.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    I think they meant to use millennium, which is in the dictionary and the Bible too.
    "Millennium" when it's precisely 1,000 years.

"Millennia" when it's 2,000 or more years.

"Millenniums" is not a word in any language.

"Millennium" when it's precisely 1,000 years.

"Millennia" when it's 2,000 or more years.

"Millenniums" is not a word in any language.
    Oxford disagrees with you.

Quote Originally Posted by devilz91 View Post
    Oxford disagrees with you.
    I disagree with Oxford. "Millennium" is a Latin word borrowed into English. When English borrows a Latin word, it must follow Latin conventions. Hence, "octopi,' not "octopuses." "Media," not "mediums." "Data," not "datums."

Just because people use these conventions carelessly and incorrectly per habit doesn't make them correct.

As an English instructor, I will not tolerate the sloppy use of language.

[ulterior motive]The real reason that I'm going on this crazy language tangent is because I want to distract people from this inane discussion about shark fin.[/ulterior motive]

I disagree with Oxford. "Millennium" is a Latin word borrowed into English. When English borrows a Latin word, it must follow Latin conventions. Hence, "octopi,' not "octopuses." "Media," not "mediums." "Data," not "datums."

Just because people use these conventions carelessly and incorrectly per habit doesn't make them correct.

As an English instructor, I will not tolerate the sloppy use of language.

[ulterior motive]The real reason that I'm going on this crazy language tangent is because I want to distract people from this inane discussion about shark fin.[/ulterior motive]
    lol, there are so many words that English borrows from other languages that don't use that native language's conventions. I agree that millennia is more commonly used (I would also use it myself) but to say strictly that millenniums isn't a plural of millennium is incorrect, cus it's in just about every major dictionary.

FWIW, it seems that octopuses is more commonly used than octopi, lol. In fact, OED even says octopi is incorrect! (Yes, I just researched that to try and prove you wrong. )

Oh ya shark fin soup is overrated. I support the ban.

Associate editor of Merriam-Webster dictionary said octopi, octopuses and octopodes are all correct.

Also, they say octopus borrowed from Greek.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Think we need to change title to "Stop the English genocide in spcnet". :-0

Back to the shark fin issue, I just drank two big bowls.

Millenniums isn't wrong but millenia is preferred. Just because a word is borrowed does not mean the word can conventions of the language from which it is borrowed. There's no way in hell the verb form of "video" in English is conjugated the way it is in Latin.
    我是个疯子疯子疯子只爱你的疯子 你是个傻子傻子傻子傻的却好懂事
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

I woldn't be surprised if millenniums was British. Their English has evolved more than North American English.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    Huh.....wuh?

I'm Teochew, but I don't hear my family complaining about not having shark fin soup to eat. Please stop giving us a bad name.
    There is a Teochew forum where people chat every Tuesday night. If you are interested, we welcome you to join.
    www.gaginang.org
    Do you listen to Teochew songs?? There are a lot on youtube.

Cultural genocide is widespread in many parts of Ontario, Canada . Never thought this is possible in a free country like Canada.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...shark-fin.html
    http://www.examiner.com/pets-in-hart...-us-and-canada
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 11-01-11 at 05:41 PM.

Thumbs up to Toronto.

Sharkfinning is a barbaric practice that is encouraged by vain Asian demand.

Let's see you get your limbs chopped off and tossed back in your home. That's what's happening to sharks who get their fins chopped off so some jerk Asian can sip it at a restaurant.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    Thumbs up to Toronto.

Sharkfinning is a barbaric practice that is encouraged by vain Asian demand.
    What is wrong with you? Why do you against people embracing their culture?

Let's see you get your limbs chopped off and tossed back in your home. That's what's happening to sharks who get their fins chopped off so some jerk Asian can sip it at a restaurant.
    Not all shark fins come from sharkfinning. Have you ever heard of shark fishing where the whole shark is consumed, not just the fins?
    You are a typical liberal who are proudly support cultural genocide against your own culture.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 12-12-11 at 12:45 PM.

The problem is, sharks are endangered. If the shark fin industry can come up with a solution that doesn't involve decreasing the wild shark population (shark farms maybe?), the protest against the ban would get a lot further.

"Cultural genocide" is a nonsensical term. Genocide is slaughtering a people. Attaching the word to something that doesn't involve any actual deaths diminishes the meaning of the word. Those doing the diminishing should be ashamed of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    "Cultural genocide" is a nonsensical term. Genocide is slaughtering a people. Attaching the word to something that doesn't involve any actual deaths diminishes the meaning of the word. Those doing the diminishing should be ashamed of themselves.
    He didn't invent the word. It was coined by western "NGO" and "human right" organizations.

Well, to describe banning eating an endangered animal's parts as "cultural genocide" is pretty stupid.

If being Asian is about demanding "exotic" foods that push animal species to the brink of extinction, then the Asian culture would suck big balls.

Luckily, it's one bad part of Asian culture but not the Asian culture.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

I think you guys are reading and taking everything the melodramatic mainstream western media tosses at you without examining the underlying problem.

If you go read up the actual statistics, the main cause of shark deaths are the result of them being caught as bycatch due to long line fishing. You can say that if they aren't finned but thrown back then the sharks would have survived but current evidence shows that most of the sharks caught are dead when hauled up (the lines are in the water for quite some time). So why not ban long line fishing if you really want to protect sharks? Oops you need long line fishing to feed the western demand for 'western' dishes like tuna, no can do!

If your argument is that finning is cruel, err go visit any battery farm which supplies KFC or Tyson. You think that's not cruel?

As a Chinese I am angry that the western media displays these hypocrisy and even angrier that fellow Chinese swallow the bait. Yes, I think sharks need some protection but so does tuna and cod! Yes finning is cruel but so are battery farms. It's unfair because the western media and lobbies only mainly target the convenient barbaric foreign cultures and that makes me indignant.

Please, go find out more instead of what the western controlled media tells you. Feel free to point me to any academic sources which show _targetted_ shark fishing kills more sharks (or even a significant fraction) than long line, trawling and gill net fishing for other 'acceptable' catch like tuna and cod.

Oh just a random thing for you to consider, with a fishing licence in California, you can legally catch sharks! Guess they really want to protect sharks huh?

Just for the record, I don't support finning or battery farms for that matter and I don't eat sharks fin unless someone is treating, my main beef is with the hypocrisy shown by the 'west' on this issue.
    Last edited by CC; 07-15-13 at 12:27 PM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!