Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please stop cultural genocide in Toronto!!!

Default Please stop cultural genocide in Toronto!!!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2058786/
    http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...n-soup#article
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...nesses219.html
    http://www.google.ca/search?source=i...w=1399&bih=790

It's a great shame that cultural genocide can happen in multicultural city like Toronto, Canada. If the city indeed banning the consumption of shark fin, then Toronto is no longer a city of multicultural but a city of cultural genocide. What a shame.

You already can't eat dogs or cats, and no restaurants serve rats or other rodents. I don't see you throwing up a hissy fit over that.

TC, stop telling people you're from Toronto. You're making the city I live in look bad with your ignorance and selfishness. Banning something that is a result of animal cruelty is NOT cultural genocide.

If you want to be ashamed about lack of celebration of diversity or culture in Toronto, how about focusing on the fact that the mayor won't even be attending the Pride Parade.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

lol'd @ this thread

The main point here is TC loves shark fin.

TC, what happen to your claim that the protection of sharks is up to the government and since the government allows it, you will continue to consume shark fin, and if the government ban it, you will follow the law?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by xJadedx View Post
    TC, stop telling people you're from Toronto. You're making the city I live in look bad with your ignorance and selfishness. Banning something that is a result of animal cruelty is NOT cultural genocide.
    If you want to be ashamed about lack of celebration of diversity or culture in Toronto, how about focusing on the fact that the mayor won't even be attending the Pride Parade.
    I live in Mississauga (Toronto Suburb) so I have every right to say that I am living in Toronto. The mayor has every right to not attend the Pride Parade, that is his/her choice and it's none of my business. Shark fishing, just like any other fishing, is not animal cruelty, shark finning is and is illegal. They should go after people who do shark finning, not the consumers. If they don't like shark fin soup, no one is forcing them to consume but they should respect other people culture and stop trying to dictate other people lives.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    The main point here is TC loves shark fin.

TC, what happen to your claim that the protection of sharks is up to the government and since the government allows it, you will continue to consume shark fin, and if the government ban it, you will follow the law?
    Yes, the government should go after the people who do the shark finning which is illegal, but not the shark fishing which is legal. And yes, I will follow the law if that is the law of the land even if I don't agree with it. Even if they successfully ban it in Toronto, it doesn't mean other cities nearby will follow it. There is still plenty of restaurants serve it. Even if they successfully ban it all over Ontario, I can go to Buffalo, NY or places where shark fin soup is legal.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 06-25-11 at 01:07 AM.

Post delete.....

Quote Originally Posted by devilz91 View Post
    lol'd @ this thread
    Me too! LOL! "cultural genocide" is a bit harsh, ay? haha
    I like me.

Shark fin consumption is hardly a culture...
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Hey, if the sharks are from legal shark farms where shark numbers do not affect the ecosystem, then it is fine by me. But if they are from illegal shark finners who kill sharks from where they are low in numbers, then I object. I think banning shark's fin is a bit harsh but they should rather look at where it is imported from and ban buying from illegal fisherman instead.

But to say this is cultural genocide is a bit too strong. I came in thinking that Toronto was banning CNY celebrations or something!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Shark fin consumption is hardly a culture...
    Perhaps it's not yours, but shark fin soup is part of Teochew culture and I want to keep it. Cultural genocide is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Hey, if the sharks are from legal shark farms where shark numbers do not affect the ecosystem, then it is fine by me. But if they are from illegal shark finners who kill sharks from where they are low in numbers, then I object. I think banning shark's fin is a bit harsh but they should rather look at where it is imported from and ban buying from illegal fisherman instead.

But to say this is cultural genocide is a bit too strong. I came in thinking that Toronto was banning CNY celebrations or something!
    Exactly. The should go after people who do shark finning, not the consumers who bought the fins from store with license. Since you are Mongolian, not Chinese (Teochew), you will never understand how important shark fin soup is in our culture.

please stop persistent trolling on SPCNET!!!!!!!
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Since you are Mongolian, not Chinese (Teochew), you will never understand how important shark fin soup is in our culture.
    What? So only people from Teochew are worthy to debate the topic and everyone else's opinion doesn't matter cos they aren't Teochew? Then you should have put it in your thread title then - "Non-Teochew posts not allowed".

And for your information, I only have small part of Mongolian blood from many generations ago and am majority Han (which you would have known if you read my posts carefully instead of focussing on a sentence or two). I have every right to be called a Chinese so stop saying that will never understand chinese culture. Chinese culture is not exclusive to only Teochew people.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Exactly. The should go after people who do shark finning, not the consumers who bought the fins from store with license. Since you are Mongolian, not Chinese (Teochew), you will never understand how important shark fin soup is in our culture.
    I'm Chinese (cantonese) and love shark fin soup. But, I can do without it. They can use some other material to replace the shark fin and cook it using the way they cook shark fin soup. That's enough for me.

It's nothing to do with culture. You just love shark fin soup and don't want to abandon it.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I'm Hokkien and I love shark fin too. Like kidd, I can live without it. :-)
    Shark fin is possibly part of Chinese wedding culture. But today fewer and fewer Chinese weddings offer this dish.

While I don't think that there should be a 100% total ban on Shark's fin but I think consumers need to be more conscious of its effect on the environment as well. Having Shark's fin at big occasions is great, but no need to have it everyday. (I haven't eaten for like 1.5 years already at some wedding) It is a luxury but not a necessity. The nutrients it supplies can be obtained through other foods. People can survive without eating shark's fin, just like they do without eating bear paw, cats, dogs and 100 year old tortoises. Culture is important but so is the environment and the changes in society values.

I think people should eat less of it and if the shark number situation does not get any better, then go for the 100% total ban. I am interested to see what will happen if Toronto does go ahead with it though.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by devilz91 View Post
    this is hilarious! Total over-reaction! She must have some mental problem or something!
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Shark fin is possibly part of Chinese wedding culture. But today fewer and fewer Chinese weddings offer this dish.
    What?! Ew. If any of us ever end up at the same wedding, you guys better tell me if what I might put in my mouth is shark fin soup! I'll pass it on to one of you.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    I don't think so. I believe it's just a ritual to show how affluence the family of the bridegroom (and bride) is/are because sharks fin is considered a delicacy, a luxury. So having the dish ups your social status.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."