Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wuxia (武俠) The Movie - Takeshi Kaneshiro, Donnie Yen, Tang Wei, Wang Yu

The version I saw was clear on that. It's just like the opening scene where he gets up in the morning and get ready to go to work, but this time minus 1 arm. Very likely exported versions were edited. What I saw was the mainland version.

Yeah, I saw the Mainland version too where the family seems so happy and at peace, though this time he's without one arm. But doesn't this mean he has severed all ties to the past/72 Demons? Plus in the end, she doesn't hesitate to tell him to be home for dinner, which means she no longer fears him ever leaving her like her first husband.

My 2 cents on the ending...
    click to show/hide spoilers
    The ending paraphrases the opening scene. He walks through the same locations, probably to work. But the camera at times follows him closely as if haunting his every step, the lighting and colors are different - darker, the camera I think is a tad shakier (though my memory might be deceiving me on this one), plus - the weather is rather foggy. Not to mention the not-so-optimistic soundtrack. My guess is he is not leaving his family at that moment, but the overall feel makes you kind of...wonder.
    I think that Peter Chan quite purposefully and deliberately casts a shadow over the "happy ending" and puts a question mark at the end of the "happily ever after".
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Awww...OK. I guess it's me and my fairytale, puppies & unicorns mindset
    But honestly, I don't see any reason why he should want to leave the family now that the 72 Demons are firmly in the past. The scene of family happiness during the time when the adopted older son took the adulthood vow was really lovely.

Whether he leaves one day or not, the way I see it, the shadows of his past will never entirely disappear. He might be Liu Jinshi now, but for 20 years he was Tang Long and even if he severed his ties with his former clan, he can't really cut all the ties with his former self. Both him and detective Xu reach some kind of catharsis, but Liu Jinshi I think never quite sheds the manacles of his own past. The whole point is - the shiny, happy, sunny image from the beginning of the movie was a thin facade bound to crumble one day and crumble it did. Tang Long and Liu Jinshi's "history of violence" had always been there and always would be.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

There is one part which I do not quite understand. Who is the person who went to meet Tang Long's father? Is he thinking of getting some money from the father? He is asking someone to "save" him. Why is that "someone" involved?

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    Takeshi Kaneshiro returns to the big screen in 2011 after winning over global audiences as Zhuge Liang in the epic and box-office breaking mega-movie Red Cliff.
    More like he disappointed the world with that mediocre performance.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Never thought I'd see the day when Takeshi Kaneshiro would speak Sichuan hua! (or whatever dialect he's speaking) Must give him credit for trying.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    There is one part which I do not quite understand. Who is the person who went to meet Tang Long's father? Is he thinking of getting some money from the father? He is asking someone to "save" him. Why is that "someone" involved?
    The person who meets Tang Long's father is the magistrate who accepted the bribe from Xu and issued the warrant for Tang Long's arrest. He's hoping for a reward for telling the leader of the group, whom he doesn't know is Tang Long's father.

At least, that's what I think it is.