Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandate RPG Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox View Post
    Where's Jiangling?

Edit: BTW, Jingzhou has already been captured as of Post #104.
    Our posts didn't capture the entire Jingzhou but somehow we were already screaming it's been captured even prior to the fall of Xiangyang. Your post specifically said Xinye, which is north of Xiangyang, whereas Jiangling is southeastern of Xiangyang and if I remember correctly, Jiangxia is at the east side.

So yes, conquering Xiangyang opens the way to these two cities and puts them under high risk. But seeing how Xiangyang has been freshly conquered, it does makes sense that Jiangling and Jiangxia are still safe. Unless you actually meant that the Xiwu army went on a round-about way... capturing the cities surrounding Xiangyang before going there... but I didn't get the sense of that.

Besides, it is impossible to capture Jingzhou since Donghai did not own all of it.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 10-16-11 at 08:36 PM.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Uhm no, you're mistaken. Xiwu did capture Jingzhou in Post #104.

Several scouts dashed in breathelessly, yelling, "Jingzhou has fallen to the Xiwu troops! They suddenly appeared at the city last night and launched an all-out attack. The defenders were taken by surprise and the city surrendered before dawn!"

Before Prince Pi or General Yun could react, several other scouts rushed in and poured out the bad news, "Xinye has fallen to the Xiwu troops! They suddenly appeared at the city last night and forced their way into the city. The Prefect was shocked by the bold assault and surrendered the city without a fight!"

Prince Pi and General Yun stared with open jaws. General hastily asked, "Where are the Xiwu troops now??"

More scouts reported in, "The Xiwu troops have surrounded Xiangyang in all directions! We are totally cut off! The main body of the Xiwu army are now encamped just 20 Li from the West Gate!"
    The the city that commands the Jingzhou Prefecture is also named Jingzhou.

And the strategy used by Xiwu is indeed capturing Jingzhou and Xinye before Xiangyang, just as you didn't expect. The reason is that Xiangyang, the critical pass in Donghai's defence against Xiwu, is the most well-fortified city in the region. On top of that, the 3 cities form a mutually-defensive link, with Xiangyang being doubly-protected on both sides. In Chinese Chess, this is known as 连花马.

Therefore, Xiwu attacked Xinye and Jingzhou simultaneously to undermine Donghai's border defence chain. Following that they launched a 2-pronged flanking attack to surround Xiangyang on all sides from 3 directions - Xinye, Jingzhou and Xiwu itself. With all distractions of Donghai reinforcements cut off, it made it a lot easier for Xiangyang to collapse.

The result was that in the 2 weeks that Pan/Prince Ying took to prepare Heaven-knows-what, Xiwu had already captured 3 prefectures. This, is the difference between Xiwu and Pan/Xiang/Donghai.

So what I don't get the sense of, is why Xiwu would leave such a big garrison alone at Jiangling, just 30km south of Jingzhou city, right after sacking Jingzhou. In fact as far as Post #107 is concerned, all Donghai resistance in the 3 prefectures under Xinye, Xiangyang and Jingzhou have already been methodically annihilated.

Uhm no, you're mistaken. Xiwu did capture Jingzhou in Post #104.

The the city that commands the Jingzhou Prefecture is also named Jingzhou.

And the strategy used by Xiwu is indeed capturing Jingzhou and Xinye before Xiangyang, just as you didn't expect. The reason is that Xiangyang, the critical pass in Donghai's defence against Xiwu, is the most well-fortified city in the region. On top of that, the 3 cities form a mutually-defensive link, with Xiangyang being doubly-protected on both sides. In Chinese Chess, this is known as 连花马.

Therefore, Xiwu attacked Xinye and Jingzhou simultaneously to undermine Donghai's border defence chain. Following that they launched a 2-pronged flanking attack to surround Xiangyang on all sides from 3 directions - Xinye, Jingzhou and Xiwu itself. With all distractions of Donghai reinforcements cut off, it made it a lot easier for Xiangyang to collapse.

The result was that in the 2 weeks that Pan/Prince Ying took to prepare Heaven-knows-what, Xiwu had already captured 3 prefectures. This, is the difference between Xiwu and Pan/Xiang/Donghai.

So what I don't get the sense of, is why Xiwu would leave such a big garrison alone at Jiangling, just 30km south of Jingzhou city, right after sacking Jingzhou. In fact as far as Post #107 is concerned, all Donghai resistance in the 3 prefectures under Xinye, Xiangyang and Jingzhou have already been methodically annihilated.
    Oh. Fine then. I will just have to edit the post and change the city names.

But now Pan is just looking more and more useless.

Edited: Sorry. I will re-edit the post so that the place that surrendered is the chibi region instead.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 10-17-11 at 08:27 PM. Reason: update

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    But now Pan is just looking more and more useless.
    Not really. Pan, Xiang and Donghai are quite evenly matched, and are definitely stronger than the smaller vassal states around them.

BTW, Xiwu plans to attack Wancheng, which according to Google Maps is 50km away from Xinye but 200km away from Hanyang.

Anyone wants to guess where Xiwu will head next after Wancheng?

Not really. Pan, Xiang and Donghai are quite evenly matched, and are definitely stronger than the smaller vassal states around them.

BTW, Xiwu plans to attack Wancheng, which according to Google Maps is 50km away from Xinye but 200km away from Hanyang.
    That's fine; that's the plan, isn't it?

But I'm not quite sure about your comments on Pan, Xiang and Donghai... especially since Xiang is supposed to be weak now but Pan seems to be stuck...

Or maybe Xiang is not as weak as Pan thinks. There might be a surprise... don't you think?

Anyone wants to guess where Xiwu will head next after Wancheng?
    Isn't it Runan next on the line?
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 10-18-11 at 11:46 AM.

But I'm not quite sure about your comments on Pan, Xiang and Donghai... especially since Xiang is supposed to be weak now but Pan seems to be stuck...

Or maybe Xiang is not as weak as Pan thinks. There might be a surprise... don't you think?
    Yep, Pan and Xiang are locked in a stalemate at the moment, the reason being that Pan, Xiang and Donghai engage in conventional tactics.

Isn't it Runan next on the line?
    All I will say for now is that it's not Chibi, because of Zhou He's sneaky pact which have utterly confounded the Xiwu army.

Anyone else agrees that Xiwu's next target is Runan? Pat, RYY & Allen?

Yep, Pan and Xiang are locked in a stalemate at the moment, the reason being that Pan, Xiang and Donghai engage in conventional tactics.

All I will say for now is that it's not Chibi, because of Zhou He's sneaky pact which have utterly confounded the Xiwu army.

Anyone else agrees that Xiwu's next target is Runan? Pat, RYY & Allen?
    So it goes in this order: Wan>Runan.

It really doesn't matter if Xiwu gets Chibi region or not... given the current situation and seeing how things are going, Xiwu can crush anyone any time.

So it goes in this order: Wan>Runan.
    If that's the case, wouldn't Zhou He want to move a step ahead and go directly to Runan instead? I mean, if he rush to Wancheng right now, chances are high that he'd run right into the Xiwu division advancing north from Xiangyang (because the Xiwu division from Xinye has already reached).

It really doesn't matter if Xiwu gets Chibi region or not... given the current situation and seeing how things are going, Xiwu can crush anyone any time.
    Xiwu at this point is like Japan right after Pearl Harbor - the US Navy has just suffered a massive setback and the Japanese are sweeping swiftly through Southeast Asia. But if Xiwu is not careful, they will get dragged down the same path Japan did.

If that's the case, wouldn't Zhou He want to move a step ahead and go directly to Runan instead? I mean, if he rush to Wancheng right now, chances are high that he'd run right into the Xiwu division advancing north from Xiangyang (because the Xiwu division from Xinye has already reached).
    It doesn't matter. I don't plan on letting him win over either Wan and Runan, or reach either of them. So Xiwu can keep both cities in the pockets.

Xiwu at this point is like Japan right after Pearl Harbor - the US Navy has just suffered a massive setback and the Japanese are sweeping swiftly through Southeast Asia. But if Xiwu is not careful, they will get dragged down the same path Japan did.
    Why not we let exactly that happen? Cutie Pie hasn't foreseen that future?

Btw, how much of Xiwu's army went to Donghai?
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 10-18-11 at 09:06 PM.

Just want to comment that Xiwu is behaving like a starved fugitive. Eat too much too fast and they will easily choke or get indigestion.

Who came up with the name Shi DaBian?

Btw, how much of Xiwu's army went to Donghai?
    300,000 out of 400,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    Who came up with the name Shi DaBian?
    That would be me. It's not what you think it means.

That would be me. It's not what you think it means.
    What did I think it means?

Bebe is back to the posting roster? Maybe we can start posting on Lan Manor.... where your ugly can make some kind of ghostly appearance.

Bebe has a lot of catch up posting to do...

i'm finally back too! my bridesmaid's obligations are out of the way leaving me some free time to post this week...and catch up. i'm not good with battle scenes or such. =p
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    i'm finally back too! my bridesmaid's obligations are out of the way leaving me some free time to post this week...and catch up. i'm not good with battle scenes or such. =p
    It doesn't sound like you need to do any right now so it's all good. And now it's time to post for old sexy!

Did you enjoy the wedding?

Wow Jueqing actually seems... likable?! Why can't he be more like his favourite disciple?

Wow Jueqing actually seems... likable?! Why can't he be more like his favourite disciple?
    He's likable... for now.