Thread: drama on a certain dynasty setting

Default drama on a certain dynasty setting

I got interested in China's history because of TV series. Although I know most of the time, there was a change in what was actually written, it helped me a lot in recognizing who belongs to what time period and make it easier for me to look up information about them in history books thus compare and find out what is true and what is fiction.

*I find it easier to learn this way than the normal (book-reading) technique

So can someone help me identify which series has what dynasty as its setting.

Here's the list so far (thanks to those who contributed below):

Qin Dynasty:
    Da Qin Zhi Dao
    The Myth

Western Han Dynasty:
    Wang Zhao Jun

Eastern Han Dynasty/Three Kingdoms:
    Three Kingdoms

Sui/Tang Dynasty:
    Sui Tang Ying Xiong
    Sui Tang Yan Yi
    Sui Tang Mi Shi

Tang Dynasty:
    Journey to the West

Northern Song Dynasty:
    DGSD adaptations
    -DGSD 2002(Jimmy Lin annd Hu Jun's?)
    Shao Nian Yang Jia Jiang

Southern Song Dynasty:
    LOCH adaptations
    - LOCH 2008
    ROCH adaptations
    -ROCH 2006
    Water Margin (?)

Yuan Dynasty:
    HSDS adaptations
    -HSDS 2003

Ming Dynasty:
    Tai Zu Mi Shi
    I think XAJH was set on Ming but I can't remember any reference to historical figure or event in the novel (I haven't seen any adaptations) but of course my memory is bad so I would appreciate the help.

Qing Dynasty:
    Xiao Zhuang Mi Shi
    Kang Xi Mi Shi
    Huang Tai Zi Mi Shi
    BBJX
    Gong
    Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain

I'll update this when I find something new/... any other suggestions?
    Last edited by snowflakesdance; 03-28-12 at 01:08 PM.
    喜欢一个人不就是应该让她感到幸福,让她快乐。别给他带来困扰 - 孟天楚/刑名师爷

Tang Dynasty Journey to the West

DEMIGODS AND SEMIDEVILS was set towards the later part of the Northern Sung Dynasty.

Most Gu Long stories are set during the Ming Dynasty.

I officially declare 2012 the year of Sui/Tang. There appears to be 3 productions in progress (either filming or in post-production)

隋唐英雄-Purba Rgyal, Dicky Cheung

隋唐演义-Yan Kuan, Zhang Han

And of course, how can your collection be complete without a "Mi Shi/Secret History" Series
    隋唐秘史-Steve Ma, Vivian Chen
    Last edited by S Beaver; 03-28-12 at 12:39 PM.
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

Han Dynasty : Three Kingdoms

Thanks IPlayWow and Ken Cheng. I added them on the list.

@S Beaver, I'm sorry but I honestly don't know what "Mi Shi/Secret Files" are. Thanks for sharing. I'll add those on the list.

Song Dynasty .... Water Margin 108 Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by snowflakesdance View Post
    Thanks IPlayWow and Ken Cheng. I added them on the list.

@S Beaver, I'm sorry but I honestly don't know what "Mi Shi/Secret Files" are. Thanks for sharing. I'll add those on the list.
    I think S Beaver means the series that includes: Tai Zu Mi Shi (Nu Er Ha Chi, Late Ming Dynasty), Xiao Zhuang Mi Shi (Huang Taiji, Beginning of Qing Dynasty), Kang Xi Mi Shi (early Kang Xi, Qing Dynasty), and Huang Tai Zi Mi Shi (late Kang Xi, Qing Dynasty). More info on Dramawiki.

What about Wang Zhao Jun, featuring Yang Mi and Chen Si Cheng? I think her story took place during the Western Han.
    Currently translating 香蜜沉沉烬如霜 at a very minute pace:
    http://xia0yuer.tumblr.com/

Qing Dynasty Flying Fox Snow Mountain

thanks xiaoyuer and IPlayWow

Qing Dynasty Duke of Mount Deer AKA Royal Tramp

Spring and autumn
    Chun Qiu Yancheng

Warring states - state of Qin
    Da Qin Di Guo

Qin dynasty
    Qin Shihuang

Late Ming dynasty
    Bi Xue Jian
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Song Dynasty Ji Gong : Legend of the Zen Master AKA Legend of the Monk that eat Meat AKA Legend of the Mad Monk AKA Buddha Jin AKA Legend of Ji Gong

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/J7zzP.jpg')

What I can think of off the top of my head: (sorry if there are any repeats!)

Spring/Autumn:
    - there's a couple of series in this time period, mostly revolving around (or including) the story of Xi Shi. e.g. "The Great Revival", and "Xi Shi Mi Shi"
    - there's also a couple revolving around Sun Tzu, but I haven't watched them yet--e.g. "Bing Sheng" by Zhang Jizhong, and "Sun Tzu Bing Fa + 36 Strategems" (quite an old drama but I watched a bit of it way back when and remember enjoying it)

Warring States:
    - Hu Fu Chuan Qi
    - Da Qin Di Guo

Han Dynasty:
    - Mei Ren Xin Ji
    - Mu Yi Tian Xia

Tang Dynasty: (so many here...where do I begin...)
    - Qin Wang Li Shimin
    - Da Ming Gong Ci (such a classic)
    - Di Ren Jie series
    - Wu Zetian Mi Shi

Ming Dynasty:
    - Hong Wu Da An

Qing:
    - Shang Shu Fang
    - Kangxi Di Guo/Kangxi Wang Chao
    - YongZheng Wang Chao

...will add on later if I remember others...

Quote Originally Posted by snowflakesdance View Post

Just as xia0yuer said, there's been a series of those, most recently also the Secret History of Yang Guifei (Tang), Secret History of Xishi (Spring/Autumn), and also the "Secret History of Wu Zetian" &"Secret History of Princess Taipaing" (though, not by the same director)

Also, just a minor change, for the Sui/Tang stories, it's probably simply to just classify them under "Sui Dynasty". And while we're at it, you might as well add Xuanyuan Sword under "Sui" (even though it's technically fantasy)
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

Spring and Autumn period : Bing Sheng AKA Sun Tzu the Master of the Art of War

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/NDMAt.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/w6EN7.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/3doY6.jpg')

Oh wait, and how could I forget one of my favourite series ever, Da Han Tian Zi (Han dynasty, comes in a three parts starring HXM as Han Wudi but I only watched the first part...could not watch the last two because of what happened to certain characters I loved although I was tempted to check out the third one for Ady).

And also "Han Wu Da Di", a more serious/historically accurate drama on Han Wudi.

Seems to be lots for each dynasty except for Yuan--weirdly there is quite a lack of dramas in this time period! Apart from HSDS (which is purely fictional), I can only think of CCTV's "Genghis Khan" series, but it's quite old I think (never watched it myself though).
    Last edited by mango_cake; 03-28-12 at 10:57 PM.

thanks everyone. I'll update the first post once I get back to the hotel.

Oh, also forgot the recent "Da Tang Nu Jiang Fan Lihua" series with Qin Lan and Hawick Lau, set in the Tang dynasty. And YZ's "Mei Ren Tian Xia" also in Tang. (I think this time period has the most series actually...well, I guess Qing gives it a run for its money! A shame because I've always found these two time periods one of the least interesting--the pre-3 Kingdoms time periods, plus Song, have always been my personal favourite.)

Speaking of Song, I also just thought of "Pai An Jing Qi"/"Wu Di Xian Ling", one of my favourite older series. (Stars Alec Su, Rebecca Wang, and HXM--lots of eyecandy! Actually, I think this is the first series I watched of HXM, he was VERY handsome in there! I watched it for Alec/Rebecca who I loved from HZGG but ended up also falling in love with HXM. ^_^)

A lot of "mystery/case-solving" series in the Song dynasty actually--in a similar vein to PAJQ, there's also the "Shao Nian Bao Qing Tian" series--there's at least one sequel to it. Has Zhou Jie, Ren Quan (very handsome in there!), LBB in the first one and FBB in the second. Also one of my other favourite actresses, Liu Yijun, in the first part.

TR's "Clothing the World" is also Song. Plus add on Ady/FSF's "Hou Gong" set in the Ming dynasty. And don't forget the series that kicked off a lot of popular Qing series, HZGG!

Anyone know when the Liao Zhai stories are set? (I know they are purely fictional and the time periods vary...for some reason I've always gotten the impression they take place in either Song or Ming, mostly based on the costuming in the series I've seen...but I guess that could be just due to director's choice and not the actual stories themselves.)

Btw if you're actually interested in the history behind it, it might help to sort out which ones are fictional and which are more historically accurate--e.g. Jin Yong's and TR's fantasy-style series, as well as most of the idol series (including PAJQ, HZGG, etc.) are almost purely fictional but may throw in a couple of true historical references. Others, such as most of YZ's and TR's series (e.g. BBJX, Gong, MRXJ, MRTX) plus the Myth etc. revolve loosely around true events but 90% is fictional. "Fan Lihua" and "Yang Warriors" are sort of in-between since they are based on true legends...but the legends themselves are not quite historically accurate (Three Kingdoms may fall into this category too since the original source material is heavily fictionalized). Then you get to DHTZ and HFCQ--mostly historical but still a significant amount of fictional stuff added (so maybe 50-50)...and finally, most of CCTV's dramas are more serious and the truest to history (but even then, you're still probably looking at at least 30% being fictional...)
    Last edited by mango_cake; 03-28-12 at 11:19 PM.

Oops also forgot the very drama I am currently watching this very moment!! Hou Gong Zhen Huan Zhuan, set in Qing. (Did anyone mention that yet?) One of the most gorgeous, aesthetically pleasing Qing period series.

And I know this is a "ancient drama" thread, but if you're interested in Chinese history I actually find Min Guo period to be quite fascinating as well--from the fall of Qing in the early 1900s to WWII until finally modern China was established in 1949. (What can I say, I tend to love dramas on time periods that contain lots of war and bloodshed...makes everything more high-stakes, exciting, and interesting, heheh. ) Unfortunately there also tends to be lots of sappy melodramatic series set in this time period, and not too many focusing on the actual exciting parts...