Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Life And Times of A Sentinel 《紫禁驚雷》

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    Kidd - Those comments were not mine - they were from the show defenders on Asian Fanatics.
    I know the comment is not yours. I was commenting on their comment that you quote. That's why I include this line of yours in my quote. To show that that I know that point is not yours. But, I guess, it causes even more confusion.

'So I just wanted to comment that my opinions were politely lambasted over at Asian Fanatics forum because (I didn't bother posting my responses over there so they are here)'

Maybe I should quote like this next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Asianfanatics
    3. Kangxi would never kill or imprison the officials around him who heard the outburst because he is one of the most benevolent kings in history, to do so would be completely opposite of his character and make the people lose faith in him.
    Quote Originally Posted by smurf120
    I hope this younger fan response won't produce more imitations.
    Not all are young fans there. The one who specifically addresses your question on Kangxi not killing the witness (the Jacky Cheung fan) is not young. She has said once that she has watched TVB series for 30 years. You do the math.
    Last edited by kidd; 09-01-11 at 09:47 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Currently rewatching "Secret Battle of the Majesty" and I think TVB should learn from it. It shares similar themes as "The Life and Times of a Sentinel" of royal sibling rivalry in the Qing dynasty based loosely on history with low production values.

But "Secret" has this intense pace and depth in plot that even though some of the plot is very inaccurate to history, it makes sense and is able to overcome its weak points and make the series memorable. "Sentinel"'s plot is just all over the place.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

@kidd - sorry misinterpreted what you said.

Just watch until episode 12. It's so sad that Fook Chuen still want to usurp the throne. Empress Dowager finally trusts him and he hold important posts now and is considerably powerful. They look like one happy family now. But, knowing that Fook Chuen will revolt later makes me feel very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Just watch until episode 12. It's so sad that Fook Chuen still want to usurp the throne. Empress Dowager finally trusts him and he hold important posts now and is considerably powerful. They look like one happy family now. But, knowing that Fook Chuen will revolt later makes me feel very sad.
    Wait til you watch ep 14 and 15. You are even going to feel even more sad.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Kangxi have 24 sons listed in history compare to Shunzi who only have 8 sons and only his 2nd son ,3rd son and 5 sons survived into adults,in the Secret Battle of the Majesty" Kangxi 1 sons,2nd son,4 th son ,8 th son,13 son and 14 sons battle for the throne while Shunzi only have his 2nd sons who try to overthow his 3rd sons in Sentinel plus actually in real history Shunzi 2nd Fook Chuen never have a ambition to become emperor ,so is hard to have a situation like royal sibling rivalry in Sentinal .
    Secret actually a remake of ATV Dynasty Starting by Alex Man ,David Chiang ,Max Mok in 1980.

I'd like a Qing Dynasty history lesson. The Grand Empress Dowager in Sentinel, I believe is the same lady in which Pan Yin Tze played the same role in the Taiwanese series where it had focused on her as the main character. Ah, so she is the one who is Kang Xi's grandmother. In Pan Yin Tze's portrayal, she was a smart, cunning, and talented empress. I thought Empress Dowager CiXi was the only powerful Qing empress, but I guess I was wrong. When I was a kid, I watched that series and had mistaken her to be CiXi. So anyways, I know better now. But I would like to know how many powerful empresses the Qing dynasty had? Like how many empresses became Dowager Empress and Grand Dowager Empress??

I've watched a lot of Qing Dynasty series and without the full understanding of the history it can be confusing on who was the predessessor or successor of whom and etc.

Here's what I found out from wikipedia:

Emperor Shunzhi --> Emperor Kang Xi (ruled for 61 years and 318 days) ---> Emperor YongZheng (ruled for 12 yrs) --->Emperor Qian Long (ruled for 60 yrs and 124 days, but abdicated his reign and gave it to his son out of a filial act for his grandfather, not wanting out reign him and not rule longer than Kang Xi) --> Then came Emperor JiaQing --> Emperor Dao Guang (Qian Long's grandson).

Actually correction - Emperor Qian Long still ruled behind the scenes, even though he gave his son, Emperor Jia Qing, the throne. He still ruled ,until his death 3 years after he gave the throne to Jia Qing, under the grand title of TaiShang Huang.

Unless there's no changes, I think Sunny Chan will be in a series as Emperor Dao Guang and Myolie Wu is suppose to play his Empress.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 09-04-11 at 05:13 AM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

The maths for the last twist is all wrong.

Just finish watching. The ending twist is problematic, I do like the ending theme of the series where it talks letting go and forgiveness. I like the ending of Dor Bo.

When I saw the preview of this series I thought it was going to be good with lots of good fighting scenes. The series has to start off with flashbacks of the end. It really kills the series. If you fast forward that part the beginning isn't too bad. As you get near the beginning it was getting dull. It did get better at the end. Knowing that there were only 25 episodes, I knew there were going to be plot holes. Another five or ten episodes might cover most of the holes but knowing TVB a bigger hole will be made. The CGI/fake palace overview and the sky (around the middle of the series) was an eyesore.

Power and Evergreen should have not been cast for this series. Power has zero emperor auras. He brought a modern feel as emperor and this series. It was distracting. Evergreen either tried way too hard or did not care about this series. It seem like he just said his lines with no feeling. I thought Kenneth did just fine. Its a shame he overact at times. Steven was alright but its nothing new to him. Everyone else were OK.

After watching this series, I thought it was OK. Story was OK for current TVB series. Fighting scenes were disappointing. I'm one of the few here that like the ending even though it was spoil in the beginning. It was a nice twist. It's not the best series I've ever seen. I watched a few series that came out this year. This is probably one of the good ones...which is not saying much. The one I've seen cannot compete with the series anything from and before the 90s. Any time TVB does anything history related, I take it with grain of salt. I dont know much about this time period so it really didnt bother me. If you want a series with some sort of historical accuracy watch something from the mainland. TVB is aiming for entertainment rather than historical accuracy. Even so, there was a decent amount of entertainment value in the series.

On a side note, I like Steven look at the end. Why does it seem like, to me, that they put alot of effort on that costume?

Quote Originally Posted by Krimzon View Post
    After watching this series, I thought it was OK. Story was OK for current TVB series. Fighting scenes were disappointing. I'm one of the few here that like the ending even though it was spoil in the beginning. It was a nice twist. It's not the best series I've ever seen. I watched a few series that came out this year. This is probably one of the good ones...which is not saying much. The one I've seen cannot compete with the series anything from and before the 90s. Any time TVB does anything history related, I take it with grain of salt. I don’t know much about this time period so it really didn’t bother me. If you want a series with some sort of historical accuracy watch something from the mainland. TVB is aiming for entertainment rather than historical accuracy. Even so, there was a decent amount of entertainment value in the series.
    The problem is not historical in accuracy anymore. Even the facts presented in the series itself didn't add up. The script cannot even be consistent in the universe they create.

Spoiler (click reply with quote to see)
    click to show/hide spoilers
    Illogic 1 - 5th Prince is older than 4th Prince. When 5th Prince was a young kid, 4th Prince was still a baby.
    Illogic 2 - If Steven is 4th prince, he sure stay in baby form for a long time. Emperor Shun Ji died in Kangxi Year 2 month 7. Baby 4th Prince supposedly died a few month after his birth. So, by the time Shun Ji died, 4th prince should be around 3 years old already. But, he's still an infant in the flashback.
    Illogic 3 - In the beginning, Ben Wong said he has not seen his family for a long time. So, he went to secretly see his grandchild who was celebrating 100 days birthday. Huh? 100 days is a long time?
    Last edited by kidd; 09-06-11 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    The problem is not historical in accuracy anymore. Even the facts presented in the series itself didn't add up. The script cannot even be consistent in the universe they create.

Spoiler (click reply with quote to see)
    Illogic 1 - 5th Prince is older than 4th Prince. When 5th Prince is a young kid, 4th Prince is still a baby
    Illogic 2 - If Steven is 4th prince, he sure stay in baby form for a long time. Emperor Shun Ji died in Kangxi Year 2 month 7. Baby 4th Prince supposedly died a few month after his birth. So, by the time Shun Ji died, 4th prince should be around 3 years old already. But, he's still an infant in the flashback.
    Illogic 3 - In the beginning, Ben Wong said he has not see his family for a long time. So, he went to secretly see his grandchild who was celebrating 100 days birthday. Huh? 100 days is a long time?
    I'll put this in the spoiler tag.

1 and 2) Your right. It is one of the screw ups they made in the series. I think your average viewer wouldn't have spotted that right away. That scene where the 4th prince told the real story was so intense that people were wondering what was going to happen next. If you can remember which episode they show 5th prince as a little kid let me know. I want to rewatch that scene.

Crazy idea but I think they made him baby form so that it adds to the suspense.

3) With the things he is going through 100 days must have felt like an eternity. I'm also pretty sure he knew what was going to happen to his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Krimzon View Post
    I'll put this in the spoiler tag.

1 and 2) Your right. It is one of the screw ups they made in the series. I think your average viewer wouldn't have spotted that right away. That scene where the 4th prince told the real story was so intense that people were wondering what was going to happen next. If you can remember which episode they show 5th prince as a little kid let me know. I want to rewatch that scene.

Crazy idea but I think they made him baby form so that it adds to the suspense.

3) With the things he is going through 100 days must have felt like an eternity. I'm also pretty sure he knew what was going to happen to his family.
    I checked tvb.com sentinel page yesterday. Should be in episode 15.

is it full episode, thanks for sharing