Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Life And Times of A Sentinel 《紫禁驚雷》

This IS TVB we are talking about. Not known to be accurate in history...

I think Kenneth is trying too hard to be a conniving Prince. The part where he put up a show and apologized to Natalie, I would have prefer him to have a solemn/unreadable expression when he had her in his arms. Instead, he's grinning madly like 'haha, you fell for it, success is MINE' expression. lol...

How did Power do? I read a lot negative comment about him. Some have problem with him crossing his legs while sitting and said he's took weak and no authoritative air.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Kenneth overacts like crazy. He was subtle in "The Other Truth" but in here, people must be blind to fall for his deception. Not sure if people have seen ep 15, but his screaming of his lines annoys me. He seems even crazier than the nutcase Lady Chan.

Power is however unimpressionable. I don't think it is his acting but he just does not have the demeanor for a Emperor, and not to mention the great Emperor Kangxi. Crossing legs is fine, but he doesn't seem strong enough for the adult Emperor. It is not like he was a teenage Kangxi controlled by the dominant grandmother, but he is already 30 (after the fall of Oboi, Wu San Gui) but still he lets his grandmother decide everything. Sunny appeared for like 10 mins and showed more noble demeanour than Power did in 16 eps. I am not at all bothered by his crossing of his legs - afterall, who can tell that the real Kangxi did not like to cross his legs in court.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

i think Power smiles too much (whole benevolent thing) and occupies less "space" - maybe he needs to stand taller. Kenneth is hilarious (unintentionally) as the bad guy.

I don't have great hopes for the series but its entertaining enough to pass the time.

I just think all the overacting in this series is hilarious - Kenneth, Natalie, Tsui Wing, Rainbow Ching, Grace etc. So many people are rolling their eyes screaming at the top of their voices. Steven getting tortured is quite anti-climatic. The concubine quarrel is even worse. I am just watching every now and then to see who will outdo who in overacting.

The best acting so far I have seen comes from Felix Lok as the mute, Samuel Kwok as the dad and Ben Wong as the monk/guard. Everyone else, if not bad, is just average. The crazy plot doesn't help either.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I think I caught another Power quirk. He walks around with his hands on top of each other in front which causes his shoulders to slouch forward - if he bends forward a bit more its pretty much traditional eunuch stance.

Yeah, I "watched" yesterday's episode while playing a video game so I'm just trying to see how it ends - please end soon. I actually like the 5th Prince who came back from Mongolia. He is loud and flares his eyes/nostrils but that matches his temper. The crazy empress thing is looping in on itself.

Dead princess comes back and she is allowed to travel out of the court??

Also, the palace guards spend an awful lot of time outside the palace solving mysteries. Palace budget shortage or what?

Yeah, 5th Prince is like the craziest of the bunch. So comical.

Noticed one bug in the storyline... during Consort Chan flashback of Emperor Shunzi wanting to make Consort Donggo newborn son as crown prince, 5th prince is already like 4-5 years old. So how can Donggo son be 4th prince.

Also, 5th Prince looked way older than Kangxi. I guess only emperor have privileges to shave.

LOL. For the first time Evergreen Mak's performance as Po Chai seems understated compared to the rest.

I think Tsui Wing (5th Prince) and Kenneth Ma (2nd Prince) are same age in real life, but 5th looks oldest. Power Chan (3rd/Emperor) is oldest but looks like high official/eunuch.

BTW I hate all the scenes with Fook Chuen and his women.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    Power Chan (3rd/Emperor) is oldest but looks like high official/eunuch.
    Now that you mention it, he does remind me of a humble eunuch!

The screaming between Guai Lun and Fook Chuen make me laugh. The Imperial Noble Consort is boring. 5th's wife can't act.

To Sehseh; Consort Donggo actually did give birth to 4th. It just that TVB got the ages mixed up. Did you pick up that she written as Consort Dong instead of Consort Donggo on the yellow paper?
    Cyril Connolly

@charbydis

I didn't notice that. Which scene was that?

Don't know I should continue with the series or not. It's getting more absurd and draggy. All the acting so OTT here, including Steven Ma

The narrator's voiceovers are really distracting, but its funny when the actors act out the facial expressions as the narrator describes their emotions. "Fook Chuen is conflicted" - Kenneth starts knitting his brows and pacing around.

The Sun Moon society is such a joke.

I think if they changed the tone to a satire and make the story into a comedy - making fun of these War and Beauty shows it would be so much better.

When was this series made? I always felt that the voiceover voice sounds like Stephen Chan's.
    Last edited by kidd; 08-25-11 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    When was this series made? I already felt that the voiceover voice sounds like Stephen Chan's.
    It sounds like Timothy Cheng who usually does villian roles.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    It sounds like Timothy Cheng who usually does villian roles.
    I check liao. You are correct. It's Timothy Cheng's voice.
    Last edited by kidd; 08-22-11 at 07:10 AM.

I check liao. You are correct. It's Timothy Cheng's voice.
    Timothy has such a smooth voice. Did Stephen Chan used to do voiceovers? What does he sound like? Must find him on Youtube.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Timothy has such a smooth voice. Did Stephen Chan used to do voiceovers? What does he sound like? Must find him on Youtube.
    He did the narration at the beginning of '72 Tenant of prosperity'.

I think we know how much trouble the series is in when fans are avidly discussing how well the voiceover narrator sounds...

I think Selena and Steven Ma are giving up...their expressions have not changed for about 2-3 episodes..it says "you really want me to do that??? I don't get the script."

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis
    He did the narration at the beginning of '72 Tenant of prosperity'.
    Besides '72 Tenant of Prosperity', Stephen Chan also did the narration for the 'On the Road' Series (向世界出發)

this series went downhill fast...... starting to get way too fake
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Without revealing too much, I just have to say that TVB really hit a new high in revisionist history for entertainment in a way that there is no way to recover from.

I'll let everyone finish watching before further comments. LOL