Thread: College ?

Default College ?

So basically all i know about college is its another school after you graduate high school. But i have many questions....like whats the difference between undergraduate and graduates? How long are you considered an undergraduate and graduate? Im going to attend college next year in hops of becoming an teacher why do i need to go to school two different times?

undergraduate and graduate are exactly as they sound

"Undergraduate" are those students who have not graduated with a Bachelor's degree--the ones we commonly refer to as "college" students. Most Bachelor's programs are 4 years long.

"Graduate" are those with a Bachelors (or higher) degree and continuing their education for a higher degree such as a Masters or a Docterate.

A lot of professions will require a higher degree than a Bachelor's, hence the need to continue your education. In addition, Bachelor's degrees are increasingly easy to attain these days and are no longer valued the way they were decades ago. In other words, in order for your resume to stand out from your peers, you'll often need a higher education degree.

Some places will also offer "joined degrees" in which you can attain your Bachelor's and your Master's together and finish in a shorter amount of time.
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 07-28-11 at 05:57 PM.

Really? Did it occur to you that I was looking for a lil more information??

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.uninformed View Post
    You'll have to specify what exactly you are looking for love

So then the undergraduate side of thigs is just for your core curriculums correct?

So then the undergraduate side of thigs is just for your core curriculums correct?
    Core cirriculums + whatever is necessarily for your Bachelor's degree.

It really also depends on your University. Some Universities will have specialized programs catered more to whatever field you want (teaching in your case). Others just have broad majors. I know a lot of people who wanted to teach science so they chose a science major whereas those who wanted to teach history became history majors.

Also depends on what you want to teach, where you want to teach, and what level of education you want to teach. You can technically teach K-12 straight out of college. A lot of my teachers in high school only had undergraduate degrees, but were persuing Masters in Education degrees for a more stable job. University level jobs obviously require higher levels of education (typically in the field that you teach).

I'm not in the teaching field, but from what I hear from friends, it's pretty flexible on how you want to approach it. Though, perhaps someone in the teaching field will give more adequate advice.

But on the topic of choosing a college, just as they tell you, pick a place where you like and you want to be rather than for a specific program.
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 07-28-11 at 06:17 PM.

Troll?

Or just rude?

These questions are best left for your high school counselor. If you are in high school that is.

PS Don't ask for advice and then be rude to the ones who try to help you. With this attitude, even if you coast through your academic career, you will still fail in life.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    Troll?

Or just rude?

These questions are best left for your high school counselor. If you are in high school that is.

PS Don't ask for advice and then be rude to the ones who try to help you. With this attitude, even if you coast through your academic career, you will still fail in life.
    lmao tell me about it. even i'm not that rude when asking for help
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Ok thank you so much! I apologize for being a ***** before its just i felt like u were calling me stupid and all that was ended at the end of the question was a duh...bt anyway thank you for helping