Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Translators Appreciation Thread

Default Thanks

I would also like to thank Han solo.
    you da man for moderating the forum, and allowing us to feel like a part of this online community.

Quote Originally Posted by aliderhamy View Post
    I would also like to thank Han solo.
    you da man for moderating the forum, and allowing us to feel like a part of this online community.
    Thank you for thanking me.

I don't do anything here except reading the translations anyway.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Thanks to all of you for sharing this treassure. Ive been sneaking around in this forum for quite some time before signing up, but I feel like i have to express my gratitude to both translators and moderators. Cheers

Frantasy Land, CA AKA / Alias / Pen Name: Frantasy Honorary Title: 蓝莲花

What is it that is up, party peoples!?

Anyways, 3Q 3Q to all you translators! Wuxia was the main reason I ever signed up here in 03; have not been posting for a long time, but that does not mean I am not around.

If it were not for you guys and gals, I would be stuck just watching the TV adaptations and never having the chance to read the actual stories. Would love to help out, but my reading/writing Chinese is at an elementary level. =(

Your hard work is much appreciated.

Default after many years the hidden dragon has resurfaced

the other day i was scaning through new translations as i do every day... and i saw something wierd. Noddles had posted up... now for all u noobs out there noddles is a translator who translated the first 30-40 chapter of smiling proud wonderer then disapeared off the face of the earth... for like 3-4 years

now im iso his legendary come back hoping to see another 30 chapters of one of my favorit novels compleated.

other then that im not gona say thanks except maybe to han solo... lol so he dosent edit or deleat this post.

this troll dosent want to be controled.. this troll just wants eat more translations :-)
    Last edited by aliderhamy; 03-13-09 at 07:20 AM.

the other day i was scaning through new translations as i do every day... and i saw something wierd. Noddles had posted up... now for all u noobs out there noddles is a translator who translated the first 30-40 chapter of smiling proud wonderer then disapeared off the face of the earth... for like 3-4 years

now im iso his legendary come back hoping to see another 30 chapters of one of my favorit novels compleated.

other then that im not gona say thanks except maybe to han solo... lol so he dosent edit or deleat this post.

this troll dosent want to be controled.. this troll just wants eat more translations :-)
    Aliderhamy is not a troll, but is a noob, lol.

Noodles did the wonderful translation of return of the condor hero, not as smilling proud wanderer. Unless you are thinking of Lanny.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Question what is your first language

I am curious, mostly about the translators, but to some degree everyone else. Since we are on an Asian entertainment website where virtually all dialogue takes place in English about things that were originally written in Chinese, who has English as a first language? Who has Chinese as a first language? Who has neither as a first language and instead grew up speaking Navajo, Swahili, or the mystic language of whales?

Missouri.slim

"tell Owen that if he buys a translator to make sure it speaks Bocce"

I am from Singapore and we learn English as the 1st language(and official language) followed by our Mother Tongue. It can be Chinese (myself), Malay or Indian depending on your race. So we are all bilingual but our Mother Tongue language is likely to be weaker as we use it lesser when we move to higher institutes of learning. I can handle chinese but if I read all the wuxia novels myself, I'll probably die of boredom by checking the dictionary every other sentence. SO HERE I AM!

I'm Canadian, so for me it's English. I haven't touched French since high school, and ironically thanks to a couple years living in Taiwan my Mandarin is better than my French!

Rob

I also reside in Canada with a first language of English, and I too know way more Mandarin then French!

I suppose since I asked I should also tell. I grew up with English, took French in middle school and high school and got to where I could read and write pretty well but never spoke it that well (not much use for French in Mid-Missouri, so not much practice). I am surrounded by people who speak German and Spanish, so I have a smattering of those two languages.

I also religiously read all instructions that come in multiple langauges. These are the modern Rosetta stone in my mind. This leads to a strange understanding of things I just shouldn't know because I recognize words like nut, bolt, screw and washer in so many languages. I feel pretty certain that I could assemble a desk given Portugese instructions. I just hope the day never comes when the Portugese have so completely consolidated their control over the desk market that this is my only choice.

My job also involves some travel to work for a few days at a time on cruise ships (not as glamourous as it sounds--I work all night and sleep all day), so I learn enough to get a cab from an airport to a port and ask for a glass of water. All this is usually unnecessary since the livelyhood of port cities relies on businesses being able to deal with Americans and therefore being able to speak English. I do attempt not to be the ignorant American, though. Justin13, I was in Singapore twice last year for my job, and it has been one of the few port cities I have liked. I spent a few hours shopping in Sim Lim Tower. It was a little overwhelming.

Missouri.slim
    Last edited by missouri.slim; 07-06-09 at 10:44 AM.

Gonna merged this with another thread.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Default yes i was thinking of lanny

man im just another noob... lol yes lanny was the hidden dragon i was referring to got the two mixed up. but noddles also disapeard for a time ?
    mehh both epic novels SPW and LS

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    WOW, what a nice message... Too bad I gave up translating WU xia for good.. I am still translating but news about my favorite stars and their books, but no more Wu xia for me after what happened... I love wu xia dearly and always will but cannot bring myself to do it again....
    lol... i wana know what happend. why not wuxia

hmmm IMO translators should not take any negative comments. In the world of celebrity any publicity is good publicity. Just lol and move on, thats what i would do if i was a big time translator.
    Seriously if there was a youtube documentry on a translator from this forum i would probebly watch it ay, im a big fan of any good story; and i really appreciate people who make good stories availible to me.

hans feel free to correct my spelling for me :-) hahah im dislixic.
    Last edited by aliderhamy; 08-11-09 at 02:42 AM.

lol... i wana know what happend. why not wuxia

hmmm IMO translators should not take any negative comments. In the world of celebrity any publicity is good publicity. Just lol and move on, thats what i would do if i was a big time translator.
    Seriously if there was a youtube documentry on a translator from this forum i would probebly watch it ay, im a big fan of any good story; and i really appreciate people who make good stories availible to me.

hans feel free to correct my spelling for me :-) hahah im dislixic.
    If you want to know, I can tell you via PM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

It's been a while since I've visited these forums. Been reading some wuxia novels again and thought why not check out how the spcnet forums, particularly this one is doing.

Just want to say that I'm in awe of the great work that is still being carried out here by all the translators!!
    I'm worse at what I do best
    And for this gift I feel blessed

Thumbs up Giving Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    The translators are doing a fine job and are making immerse personal sacrifices of time and energy in translating these Wuxia novels so that ppl who lack Chinese language knowledge can also enjoy the novels.

I propose that August 31st be declared the Translator's Appreciation Day.

Post your appreciation now.
    I will edit your name into post #2

Pl check post#2 for updates regularly.
    Giving Thanks
    Hi everyone. This is the first time I'm posting a message in this site. I firstly thank administrators and moderators of this site and secondly all the Translators of Wusia Novels and thirdly all the memembers that giving their opinions on Martial Arts Fictions.
    Best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    It's been a while since I've visited these forums. Been reading some wuxia novels again and thought why not check out how the spcnet forums, particularly this one is doing.

Just want to say that I'm in awe of the great work that is still being carried out here by all the translators!!
    Just wanna say noodles, im your longggggggggg fan!

Nice to see you lurking around still!

You hold a special place among the translators, since you we're the one who started the translation of ROCH, which is the novel which bought me into the world of Wu-Xia.
    This is a plea to whom ever is in-charge of wuxiapedia to update the translations into it (or else start trying to get permission to put the content from the translators/editors).

thankxxx

Many thanks to all translators, who are sacrificing their time and energy for other wuxia fans. You are doing great job! Special thanks to foxs for “White Haired Demoness” and LOCH. I would also like to include editors in my acknowlegdements. Xie xie.

I have been trying to learn Chinese by watching Chinese TV series (in Chinese with Chinese subtitles). The quality (cinematography, set and setting, actresses and actors, etc.) of many of them is fantastic. However, my understanding is minimal. I have mastered one sentence, though. It is, "这个仇我一定要报!" zhege chou wo yiding yao bao! This revenge I will definitely accomplish! Hope I don't have to use it.
    Anyway, since many dramas are based on works by Jin Yong and Gu long, I now can first read the amazing translations provided by the wonderful translators here and then watch the TV series.
    Thank you all!
    David