Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Mandate #1

Pan Army Camp, continued from post #98

Yi Quan quickly pulled the bearded soldier behind him and eyed Zhou He, “Lord Zhou? Do you know of this soldier? Did he dare to offend you in some way? I will make sure he sees his deserved punishment.”

After the initial shock, Zhou He came to realize his surroundings. Lan Tianying and other soldiers were standing near him and could easily hear the conversation. It would be unwise to reveal the bearded soldier’s identity, as the punishment for impersonating a soldier is immediate execution. Hence, he replied, “Please don’t misunderstand. This soldier has helped me out once in Luoyang but I’ve never had the chance to thank him. I was just surprised to see him here.”

Yi Quan nodded, “I’m glad it is of nothing important. If Lord Zhou and Prince Ying doesn’t require me for anything, then I shall be off to take care of other things.” Without even bothering to acknowledge Lan Tianying, Yi Quan quickly turned and dragged the bearded soldier away.

“What happened to him? He seems to be in a hurry…” Prince Ying wondered aloud. It appears that he has not yet been able to recognize the bearded soldier as his mind was still too preoccupied with the upcoming battle and possible Donghai ambush.

Yi Quan quickly dragged the bearded soldier into his own tent and shut the entrance tightly.

“What are you doing here?” He asked in a low but forceful voice. He did not raise his voice as he was afraid those outside would overhear their conversation.

“I’m already here. Does it matter why I am here?” the bearded soldier replied.

Yi Quan rolled his eyes, “You think I don’t know why you’re here?”

The bearded soldier shrugged, “If you already know, then why bother asking me?”

“You may have risked your life to be here for him, but he may not even appreciate your sacrifice…” Yi Quan scoffed.

The bearded soldier’s expression suddenly turned into one of surprise. //How did he know about him…?//

"And are you going to leave Lanyi all alone in the Palace? You know my sister is going to be furious when she finds out that you have run away."

"Lady Yi likes to throw fits and complain all day long, but she is still fair. She awards and punishes her maids justly and will not blame my faults on Lanyi. Also, now that I am gone, Lanyi becomes even more valuable to her, so she will not severely punish Lanyi."

Yi Quan continued in a softer tone, “Lanxi, is it really worth it? If you want, I can make sure you are allowed to leave here safely. It’s alright if you don’t want to return to the palace. I can make sure that you are safe wherever you go. But the army is a dangerous place. Not only do you risk dying on the battlefield, but if they find out that you are a woman, they will execute you.”

Lanxi stared at the ground silently for a few seconds before replying in a firm and resolute voice, “I already knew of these risks before I took action.”

Yi Quan sighed and shook his head. He knew there was no chance of changing her mind now. If she would rather die than leave, then there is nothing he can do to persuade her otherwise. Perhaps the only thing he could do for her now is to ensure her safety while she is here.

“I will inform them that you will be my personal guard. That should minimize the need for you to interact with the other soldiers and the risk of exposing your identity. You can rest here for now. I still have some things to attend to. Be careful.” With that, Yi Qian exited the tent, leaving Lanxi alone inside.
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 09-25-11 at 06:12 PM.

Wenyang Pass, Pan-Donghai Border

The Donghai Prince Sima Ren was indulging in merry-making with his concubines and maids when the border outposts reported in with sightings of the Pan vanguard.

He casually plopped the grapes into his mouth before responding, "Hahaha of all the people they get my silly little brother Sima Ying to lead the van. Isn't that stuffing the lamb into the wolf's mouth?"

The courtiers readily agreed, trying to butter up to the prince. They continued fawning on him as he continued, "Why did the 3 princes in the capital even bother to send Huang Shi to lay an ambush for them? Heh! They are using this attack as an excuse to keep an eye on me! Good, good, if they can play the *1st of the month game* I can play the *15th of the month* game too! We shall wait and see."

The courtiers all chorused in agreement as they massaged his shoulders and legs and fanned him.

General Huang's trusted subordinate, Colonel Shi Dabian, who was attached to Wenyang Pass to help oversee its defence, objected, "Your Highness, that's not the case. Prince Ying may be inexperienced but he has Lieutenant-General Yi Quan with them. His father Yi Weifang is a bold and tried veteran famous in the nothern plains. You should not underestimate them."

Sima Ren scoffed, "What can they do? We'll just sit here and enjoy ourselves. Our supplies are ample and our city walls are high and sturdy. Just let them seige us. After failing to capture this city, the Pan king will lose patience and order them to retreat."

Shi Dabian saw that he could not persuade Sima Ren otherwise, so he just mumbled, "Let's hope it's so," and stalked off, leaving the revelry behind him.

Upon hearing the news of the ambush from Prince Ying, General Lu Xunzhao was shocked and worried, but he immediately cheered up after hearing the solution.

He agreed to make the flag and sent a quick but firm order down for it.

As Prince Ying, Zhou He and Lan Tianying leaves General Lu’s tent, something worrisome came to Zhou He’s mind. He turned to Lan Tianying.

“Senior. Do you know the situation at Jing Province?”

Lan Tianying nodded his head. “A little. Jing Province is under the charge of Prince Pi, but because of his young age, his mentor General Yun Fei is practically the one in charge. He is said to be displeased with the other princes and might I say, he must also be worried about how they would treat Prince Pi once any of them becomes King.”

Prince Ying nodded his head solemnly. The last time they saw each other was four years ago. Prince Ying was 16 and Prince Pi was 12.

As far as he could remember, the boy was quiet and was often bullied by their other brothers. Even though Prince Ying did not participate in the bullying and even tried to help him, Prince Pi apparently judged him guilty by association and kept a wide berth.

He wondered what Prince Pi had become like now.

“… If I promise good treatment and leaving his fief untouched in exchange of support, that could work in our favour.” Prince Ying said.

“It might, but it also might not. General Yun will be wary of the possibility in that Your Highness could lose this war which could cause Prince Pi trouble or even threats on their lives.” Lan Tianying replied.

“Yes, but they will not have much of a choice. They would have to choose between Xiwu and I. Given General Yun’s loyalty and pride, it’s no brainer who he will support.” Prince Ying persisted.

“Xiwu? Xiwu is in this too?” Lan Tianying’s face darkened, and for the first time truly looked worried.

“Yes. So if we want to do this, we must do it fast and without wasting any time. I will write a letter immediately.” Prince Ying looked at Lan Tianying. “Master Lan, it might be too much to ask of you, but could you please help to deliver the letter to Prince Pi and General Yun?”

“Yes of course.” Lan Tianying agreed without hesitating.

“Wait, Your Highness.” Zhou He interrupted. “If anyone has to be the messenger, it should be I, Zhou He.”

“Boyan, I cannot lose you at this point of time…”

“Thank you, Your Highness, but imagine if Prince Pi and General Yun also thinks the same, this would only increase the significance of the letter’s contents and how sincere you are. Also, I believe I can… no. I can persuade Prince Pi and General Yun into supporting us.” Zhou He said. He bowed deeply to Prince Ying.

“I beseech Your Highness to bestow this honour to Zhou He.”

Lan Tianying nodded. “Boyan is right. Lan Tianying too, beseech Your Highness to allow Zhou He be the messenger.”

Prince Ying sighed. “… You do know you could end up dead, right?”

“I’d regret dying before fulfilling my duties and realising your dreams, but Boyan is not afraid of death. If Boyan is destined to die, at least…” Zhou He’s eyes softened. “… At least I’d be able to see my family again…”

Prince Ying placed his hand onto Zhou He’s shoulder and gave it a warm squeeze.

“… The mission is yours, Zhou He. Make sure you succeed in it and come back alive.”

Zhou He bowed deeply once more.

“Yes, I will. Zhou He thanks Your Highness.”
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 09-27-11 at 08:58 PM.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Xiangyang - Xiwu/Donghai Border Pass

The Donghai prince Sima Pi was getting jittery. Donghai scouts have reported massive troop mobilizations across the border in Xiwu's Hanzhong, but in the past week the scouts reported that the troops have withdrawn back into the city, the banners all in order and no one was stirring.

He clapsed and unclapsed his hands as General Yun Fei stared at the locale map spread out on the floor. He muttered, "What are they up to? These Xiwu b&*tards are so devious, just what tricks are they playing at now?"

General Yun checked with a lieutenant, "Where are the Pan troops now? Have they crossed the border yet?"

The lieutenant replied, "General, the last news we had was that the vangaurd led by Prince Ying has camped 50 Li from Wenyang Pass."

General Yun frowned, "Shouldn't Pan and Xiwu be attacking together? Why have the Xiwu troops withdrawn back into Hanzhong? Could it be they have fallen out with their Pan allies? Captain He! Any news about the Xiwu Envoy Zhang?"

The captain shook his head. Meanwhile, Prince Pi was pacing up and down the room anxiously, making General Yun getting a headache just looking at him.

General Yun said with some asperity, "Your Highness, worrying isn't helping. We should still make plans to meet a Xiwu assault on this city. If Xiangyang falls then western Donghai is lost. We have enough supplies to last 3 months, so our best option would be to hold the invaders off until reinforcements can arrive. As long as Xiangyang and Wenyang hold up, the enemies will have to withdraw empty-handed ultimately."

Prince Pi wasn't reassured by General Yun's plans. He argued, "What if Wenyang Pass falls? What if Jianye doesn't send reinforcements? What if my brothers want to dissolve my power..."

General Yun interrupted impatiently, "Your Highness, the 3 princes are well aware of Xiangyang's strategic value. Just listen to me and prepare for the Xiwu seige," and turning to the attendants, he shouted, "Convey my orders, all troops prepare the arrows, boulders and oil now. Anyone slacking off will be severely punished!"

The attendants marched off as Prince Pi interrupted, "But... but... we still don't know what the Xiwu troops are up to!"

Just then...

Several scouts dashed in breathelessly, yelling, "Jingzhou has fallen to the Xiwu troops! They suddenly appeared at the city last night and launched an all-out attack. The defenders were taken by surprise and the city surrendered before dawn!"

Before Prince Pi or General Yun could react, several other scouts rushed in and poured out the bad news, "Xinye has fallen to the Xiwu troops! They suddenly appeared at the city last night and forced their way into the city. The Prefect was shocked by the bold assault and surrendered the city without a fight!"

Prince Pi and General Yun stared with open jaws. General hastily asked, "Where are the Xiwu troops now??"

More scouts reported in, "The Xiwu troops have surrounded Xiangyang in all directions! We are totally cut off! The main body of the Xiwu army are now encamped just 20 Li from the West Gate!"

Prince Pi was now white to the roots of his hair. He gasped as the word "shit" barely escaped his mouth...

The mighty Xiwu army stretched as far as the eye could see. Thousands upon thousands of black-clad Xiwu troops arrayed in neat rows with blazing banners faced the Donghai city of Xiangyang leading straight to the capital Jianye.

General Yun stood at the city wall and saw a sea of black facing them ominously. Prince Pi stood nervously behind. Retreat was not an option now as they were completely surrounded.

General Yun said resolutely, "We must fight. Lose Xiangyang and the existence of Donghai itself is in danger. Men! Light the smoke beacons. We shall hold the enemy off till reinforcements arrive."

He drew his precious sword and passed it to Prince Pi, saying, "Your Highness, take this. It will help." General Yun then wielded an ordinary sword and raised it high, shouting, "Men! Today we show these Xiwu scum what the real Donghai soldiers are made of!"

The soldiers on the wall rallied around their general as the thick smoke rose high into the air. The Xiwu army took this as a signal to attack.

Xiwu extensively studied the old Qin Dynasty army's archery tactics and armament, and so trained and equipped their archers in the same way.

With a thudering hiss, a massive wave of flaming arrows seared through the air, covering the clouds like a locust swarm. The arrows smacked into Xiangyang and thousands lodged into the city walls while many arrows pierced right through the city's buildings within.

Hundreds of soldiers and civilians below were caught in the torrents of arrows and they dashed about in chaos seeking shelter from the arrows but to little avail as the flames easily licked off the straw and wood in the buildings.

The soldiers on the city walls fared no better as their bronze shields were next to useless against Xiwu's powerful long-range steel-tipped arrows, and many fell under their shields without making a sound.

General Yun was shocked at the lethalness of the Xiwu arrows even as he valiantly tried to organize the defence. He fended off the arrows as best as he could and he saw Prince Pi take cover behind a stout pillar. He yelled at his men to bring up even more shields as well as thick wooden logs but many soldiers scattered without even pausing to listen.

At that moment, General Yun was stuck by an arrow in the shoulder which immediately severed his left arm. He screamed and jumped backwards.

The arrow barrage finished, the Xiwu foot soldiers yelled and dashed towards the city. The city walls rumbled with thousands feet thumping on the ground. Throwing their ladders against the wall, they rapidly scaled the wall as the carriages brought up the battering ram below.

The first of the soldiers had just reached the top of the wall when the battering ram smashed the gates below, causing the wall to shudder. The Donghai defenders at the wall were too frightened to put up any resistance and were slain while attempting to flee.

The gates crashed open and hordes of Xiwu troops poured into the city just as the wall above was overwhelmed.

General Yun hacked and slashed at any Xiwu soldier that came his way, but they were bold and tough, and he was exhausted after dispatching a number of them. Coupled with his severely-bleeding shoulder, his strength was draining away fast.

A few Xiwu officers spotted him and they all lunged at him simultaneously with their spears. He tried to ward them off but was still impaled in the chest. He glared at them with hatred in his eyes as he crumpled down.

The entire city was decimated. Finally, the Xiwu commander Zhao Yu came up and pointed his sword at Prince Pi. With a menacing smile, he said, "Greetings, Your Highness."

The army marched cautiously toward Shouchun. The cavalry led by Prince Ying was at the front, represented by a large magnificent flag that depicted a rising dragon with the name “Sima” next to it.

The army stopped the march a couple of miles from the borders, and let down all banners except for the flag.

Then they waited.

The wait was excruciatingly long and the army was on tenterhooks, since they were exposing themselves to the Donghai armies. Yet Prince Ying had insisted on it and General Lu Xunzhao was eventually persuaded to take the gamble.

After what seemed like an eternity, a small unit of cavalry was spotted advancing toward the army!

“What do we do now, General?” The scout asked.

“Please hold fire. Such a small unit is unlikely meant for offence.” Prince Ying reasoned.

“Fair enough. Let’s see what they are up to.” Lu Xunzhao agreed.

The riders halted their horses a short distance from the army.

A huge man came out to the front on his horse.

“… I am Huang Shi, General of Donghai and Governor of Shouchun. I wish to seek an audience with the Fourth Prince of Donghai, Prince Ying!”

Huang Shi’s voice boomed loud and clear, sending the Pan soldiers’ hairs on stand.

Prince Ying rode out alone.

“I am here, General Huang.”

Huang Shi narrowed his eyes as he stared at Prince Ying who stared right back.

After a few minutes of what seemed like a staring contest, Huang Shi broke into a smile. Getting down from his horse, he went down on his knees and his men quickly followed suit.

“Huang Shi greets Prince Ying. The people of Shouchun and I hereby surrender the city to Your Highness. The 50,000 men of Shouchun is now under your command.” Huang Shi said, his head bowed and his hands extended out with the commander seal on his palms.

A delighted smile broke on Prince Ying’s face. Getting down from his horse, he hurried over to Huang Shi and helped him up.

“Thank you for being understanding, General Huang. With your assistance, I am finally able to take the first concrete steps to rebuilding Donghai.”

“Yes, Your Highness. I, Huang Shi, will do everything I can to assist you.” Huang Shi pledged. “But for now, let’s go to Shouchun. The people will be most delighted to see you.”

The Pan army pitched camp outside Shouchun, while Prince Ying and the generals entered the city and into the official residence where a low-key dinner was held.

Prince Ying sat at the top front table facing everyone, with Huang Shi and Lu Xunzhao seated to the left and right respectively.

“Your Highness, I have not seen Lord Zhou yet. Is he doing well?” Huang Shi asked.

“Yes. I sent him to Jing Province to speak to sixth brother. It is my hope that Prince Pi will be able to help me.” Prince Ying replied.

“I see.” Huang Shi nodded. Out of all the royal princes, Prince Pi was the only one who did not participate in the infighting. It was only natural that at such times he would be the one Prince Ying wants to reach out to.

“However, Your Highness,” Huang Shi’s voice turned stern and grave as he eyed the Pan generals cautiously. “… The news is that Xiwu is also advancing onto Jing Province. I worry about their motives.”

“What motives?” Lu Xunzhao was offended, thinking that Huang Shi was insinuating something. “It’s all part of the plan to assist Prince Ying!”

“Oh, is it? Can you then promise Xiwu will return the lands to Donghai after Prince Ying ascends the throne?” Huang Shi challenged.

“Well, Xiwu can’t be expected to fight for nothing, can they?” Lu Xunzhao retorted.

“So this is a plan to weaken Donghai afterall!” Huang Shi slammed his table.

“General Huang, please calm down.” Prince Ying tried to soothe the elderly general.

“Your Highness! We are not talking about some honourable gentlemen but a bunch of vultures!” Huang Shi said.

“Who are you calling ‘vultures’?!” Lu Xunzhao jumped to his feet.

“Did I name anyone? I was really just talking about Xiwu. But I wouldn’t mind it if you people from Pan wants to admit it too.” Huang Shi sneered.

“You!” Lu Xunzhao’s face was red with anger.

But before the quarrel could escalate any further, a soldier came barging into the hall.

“Report! Report! Urgent report!” the soldier cried.

Huang Shi was about to reprimand the soldier for the rudeness when he saw how anxious the soldier was. The soldier was also huffing and puffing, which showed he had been running a lot.

“What is it? Speak!” Huang Shi commanded.

“Xiwu! Xiwu! Jing Province…! Haaaah… haaa….” The soldier was so out of breathe he couldn’t complete his sentence.

“What about Xiwu and the Jing Province? Speak quickly!” Huang Shi ordered, irritated and worried at the same time. Prince Ying by now had leaned forward.

“Xiwu had taken over Xiangyang and killed General Yun and Prince Pi!” The soldier finally managed it.

“What?!” General Huang jumped up. “How did that happen?? How was it possible that Xiwu could take down Xiangyang so quickly?”

“That… The Xiwu army appeared out of nowhere and they had some weapons we had never seen before… Xiangyang was taken by surprise…”

Huang Shi turned, and saw that Prince Ying was already on his feet, a blank expression on his face.

“… Sixth Brother is dead?” Prince Ying whispered.

“Yes!” The soldier answered before he broke down into tears.

“Your Highness! So old Huang is right about Xiwu!” Huang Shi fumed. He wanted to scold the Pan generals too, thinking it was obvious that Pan bore no good will toward Donghai as well, but held back his tongue since there was still a massive Pan army right outside Shouchun.

Prince Ying held up his hand.

“… Xiwu is attacking because of Pan’s invitation. Of course they cannot be expected to fight for nothing and it’s only fair that they keep the lands they have conquered. But they have no business killing my brother.”

Prince Ying turned to regard the Pan generals.

“I do ask the good men here to understand my circumstances. I will not allow anyone to take advantage of Donghai in this manner.”

“… No one is taking advantage of Donghai, Prince Ying.” Lu Xunzhao answered uneasily.

“I’m sorry, General Lu. But unlike the King of Pan, I have no reason to trust Xiwu.” Prince Ying said.

He held a hand to his head. 16 years old. Prince Pi was only sixteen years old. Yet he had been ruthlessly killed nonetheless.

Given that Xiwu had conquered Xiangyang so quickly, Prince Ying feared for the worst. If Xiwu continued to achieve the same result, it wouldn’t be long before Donghai loses most of its lands and reduced to a small state.

Thinking of that, he smiled, surprising everyone.

“Your Highness?” Huang Shi was worried.

“… General Lu, did you hear what was said about the Xiwu army?” Prince Ying suddenly asked.

“What?” General Lu was not sure if he quite catches Prince Ying’s meaning.

“They are fast and apparently has some new weapons that can take down a strong city such as Xiangyang in no time.”

“Uh-huh…” General Lu still wasn’t sure what the prince was getting at.

“How much of Donghai land do you think they can seize before we can march to Jianye and take over the capital for my crowning? And how much more of Donghai land will fall into Xiwu hands by the time they hear the war is over?” Prince Ying questioned.

“Umm…” General Lu blinked blankly, unable to answer the question.

“My lucky estimation is by then, Xiwu will also be in control of Wancheng and Runan as well.”

Prince Ying stepped toward the General and looked at him in the eyes.

“… Pan’s war with Xiang is going nowhere, while Xiwu now has an extremely rich and fertile province under their control. And soon their sphere of power could reach right below Pan.”

“Xiwu is our ally, Prince Ying.” General Lu replied.

“… So am I, General Lu.” Prince Ying said with a solemn nod, his smile turning sad.

“Since the Xiwu is moving so quickly, it is of utmost importance that we move fast as well. General Lu, please do prepare for a march to Jianye tomorrow morning.”

“… All right.” General Lu relented.

With a sigh, Prince Ying turned and retreated into the chambers with a heavy heart.

// Where are you now, Boyan? //

Continued from Post #105...

Prince Pi stared at the sword and gulped. He tried to struggle but the ropes were bound too tight. Zhao Yu raised the sword and was about to bring it down on Prince Pi's neck when the latter hoarsely shouted, "Wait!"

Zhao Yu said smoothly, "What's the matter? Trying to bargain for your life?"

Prince Pi didn't actually know what to do, so he was really clutching at straws to save his own life. He said, "How... how did you come to use such arrows? Xiwu... Xiwu never used such deadly arrows against Pan in the past..."

Zhao Yu replied nonchalantly, "Alright, I'll tell you so that you can die with closed eyes. You're right, that's why Xiwu could not bring about a decisive victory against Pan before other meddlesome states like Donghai came to intervene. So we withdrew our forces and forged an alliance with Pan, and meanwhile we studied the Qin army's archery tactics and our blacksmiths researched on the formula to produce steel tips harder and sharper than Qin's arrows. Now you can die in peace."

In one swift stroke, the sword sliced right through Sima Pi's neck, so swift that the head still echoed the "No!" even as it hit the ground.

Just then, one of the officers hastily said, "Marshal, not good. What if the Princess of the Northern Clouds wants to use this prince as a hostage?"

Zhao Yu gasped, "Uh oh..."

Thinking for a moment, Zhao Yu frowned and ordered, "Men! Bury Prince Pi and General Yun with military honours. Spread the word that they died as heroes."

Continued from post #106

It was midnight, and Wu Haocun was wide awake. He looked at his party members in the tent, and all were eying him while waiting for him to give them the signal. He replayed the events of the past few days; overall, he was quite impressed with what he saw of Prince Ying.

Although he clearly understood the anxiety felt by his party, Wu Haocun chose to be selfish and delayed their escape from the troops. It wasn’t that he couldn’t leave earlier. There were a few opportunities that they had to escape, but he chose to disregard those moments. What could have kept him to stay longer and risk his new friends’ lives? He dared not reveal it with Wang Ai Lang, Huo Yuan, Xue Qian, or Feng because it was of utmost importance that he kept this secret to himself until he was fully ready to trust them. Little did they know nor would they ever suspect that Haocun decided to stay with the troops longer than necessary because he really wanted to observe Prince Ying’s character. He saw all that he needed and was ready to return to his main task of finding the two wanted women.

Xue Qian perspired profusely. It was such a hot and humid night. But he was certain that he was sweating because they were about to escape and fear struck him hard. If they get caught, their deaths could be certain. Yi Quan would not be foolish the second time around. He would definitely be able to identify them this time if they brought unwanted attention to themselves. Since the troops left, they had little contact with the kingdom and all were unaware that Huo Yuan and Xue Qian were presumed dead.

On the other hand, Wang Ai Lang was relieved that Wu Haocun took his time before deciding to escape. During these past few days, although he had to journey for many hours with the troops, he did not have to use much energy to fight. Thus, he was slowly recovering from his injuries.

Meanwhile, Feng recalled the conversation he overheard the other week at the bun stall. Many times, he tried to ask Wu Haocun about his past, but Wu Haocun found ways to divert the conversation. He was very much interested in Wu Haocun’s past with Chen Biyu and Wu Haocun’s experience during his days with the Fabulous Four. As much as he wanted to learn about Wu Haocun, tonight was not the night to ask again. Feng nervously played with his bow.

Midnight was the best time for their escape, for at midnight, less men guarded the troops in their territory. But tonight was special. Despite the bad news that Prince Ying received about his brother’s death and the fall of Xiangyang, the prince allowed the troops to rest better tonight as he had gained the confidence of Huang Shi. Although the troops were welcomed in the city, the shear number of the troops made it impossible for Huang Shi to prepare shelter for them in the city in such short notice, so the troops continued to camp outside of Shouchun. Prince Ying knew his troops were exhausted from the journey and had an inevitable battle in their near future. Hence tonight, more men were allowed to rest and fewer guarded their territories. Tonight, only four pairs of eyes guarded Wu Haocun’s territory. Four pairs of eyes were easier to handle than thousands.

Wu Haocun quickly dusted some gray powder onto several daggers. “This sleep potion will take effect immediately, but because it works quickly, it will also wear off quickly. We have one hour to completely leave this area. Do not cause any disturbance, and do not hurt anyone.”

Huo Yuan grabbed his spear and gave it a tight squeeze. After hearing how ruthlessly Xiwu moved in on Xiangyangi, Huo Yuan more than anything wished to overthrow the kingdom of Xiwu. He already suspected that Xiwu had ulterior motives in helping Pan fight against Donghai. Once they get Donghai, what’s to stop them from overtaking Xiang? Time…he needed time to come up with a plan to help Xiang despite Xiang wanting his help. He had long learned to be patient. Perhaps he could recruit Wu Haocun to help him? He turned to look at Haocun and gave him a slight nod.

Wu Haocun looked at Feng, “Your internal energy is the weakest,” he then looked at Huo Yuan, “Wang Ai Lang is still recovering from his injuries. I hope you don’t mind helping Feng leave the vicinity. I’m afraid that Feng may not be able to keep up with us and leave this area before the soldiers wake up from the drug.” Haocun signaled for Feng to climb onto Huo Yuan’s back. Everyone stared at Feng when he refused to comply. Seeing that there was no way out, Feng hopped onto Huo Yuan’s back. Huo Yuna’s eyes widened and he quickly turned to look at Feng when he felt how soft Feng’s upper body was.

As it was dark, no one was able to see Huo Yuan’s reaction except for Feng.

Wu Haocun quickly left the tent and with accurate aim, he hit his targets and the four soldiers quickly collapsed. The rest of his party quickly followed and silently ran until they hit the periphery of the camp site. Haocun lifted some more daggers and in rapid succession, he hit all eight men. The men soon fell asleep. Haocun and his friends quickly stole four horses. Feng had to share one horse with Huo Yuan as he never learned to ride a horse. The five rode and rode heading north. The drug would wear off in one hour, but to safely leave the troops behind, they continued riding until the horses were exhausted. After four hours, the five finally found an abandoned home to rest in.

Once they entered the home, Wu Haocun quickly turned around and said, “After we rest, Feng and I will be returning to the outskirts of Louyang early in the morning. You three can either follow us or we can depart in the morning.”

The men nodded, but Huo Yuan was lost in his thoughts. He looked in Feng’s direction, but Feng kept dodging his glances. He wondered why Feng was pretending when all along, Feng was actually a girl. Should he tell anyone about this, or should he respect Feng and keep it a secret? He felt a bit dizzy as he pondered about this dilemma. Even more, he felt a bit embarrassed as he recalled how they rode together on the same horse. He grew up with much discipline and rigorous training, but when it came women, he had absolutely no experience. Now, he suddenly felt awkward around her and didn’t know how to approach her. Stretching his arms, he pretended to yawn and exclaim, “I’m exhausted. Good night everyone.” He immediately settled in one corner and pretended to sleep.
    Last edited by patricia n; 10-28-11 at 12:11 AM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

It was early morning when the group had a surprise.

They had only just stepped out of the abandoned home when they saw a well-dressed man standing there, waiting. Appearing to be in his early thirties at the most, he had a sword attached to his belt. His expression was calm, though his eyes clearly flickered in delight when he saw them. Or someone, for that matter.

He stepped forward.

“Haocun, it’s been a long time.” He greeted.

“Who are you?” Xue Qian asked rudely.

The man looked strangely at Xue Qian before replying, “… I am Lan Tianying, an old friend of Haocun.”

“Lan Tianying? The master of Lan Manor?” Huo Yuan has heard of him before. Lan Tianying was one of the names you would know by default if you are even mildly interested in the martial realm.

“That would be me.” Lan Tianying acknowledged, but with such modesty that Huo Yuan was impressed.

But before Wu Haocun could acknowledge his friend, a voice had interrupted the morning peace.

“Lan Tianying, I have a message for you.”

The group stared in surprise at the young woman who jumped off from a tree. Lan Tianying stiffened. He knew someone had been following him, but didn’t expect her to show up so suddenly at a time like this. But perhaps she had grown impatient of waiting for him to stop travelling around and be alone, and certainly this situation would look safer for her than in the army camp.

The young woman did not look more than twenty; she was good-looking but she exuded a smug confidence that surely didn’t make her a popular figure among her peers. What’s more, she carried a sword and the look in her eyes resembled a predator that had finally caught its prey.

She threw a letter at Lan Tianying and he caught hold of it easily. Filled with suspicions and questions, he decided to read the letter.
    The moment he opened it, he knew something was very wrong. The letter was written on a paper used exclusively by Lan Manor, identified by the Lan family crest, but this woman didn’t seem friendly.

He quickly read the letter.

It didn’t take a long time before his face turned dark in worry and anger.

He looked up at the smug young woman.

“You are from Jiancheng?”

“Obviously.” The woman replied in a deliberately bored tone.

“What does your Lord want with Lan Manor?” Lan Tianying questioned.

The woman looked at him. If she was impressed with how controlled and restrained he was, she didn’t show it.

“As the letter from my lord states, a one-on-one duel with you.”

“By taking the manor and the people in it hostage?” Lan Tianying almost snapped.

“It’s not our fault your students and family are incapable of protecting the manor.” The woman retorted.

“… What is your name?” Lan Tianying suddenly asked with an odd expression on his face.

The woman frowned. “… My name is Yushen.”

Lan Tianying went strangely silent.

“… And your lord’s name… is Jueqing?”

“It’s all on the letter. Did you not read the letter or are you illiterate?” Yushen was losing her patience. Was he playing with her? Why ask her questions like these?

“Fine. I will be there for the duel.” Lan Tianying replied. With the lives of everyone in the manor at stake, including that of his wife and sons, he could not possibly ignore the challenge.

“Good. We shall meet at Lan Manor then.” Yushen nodded in satisfaction before she turned and leaves.

Lan Tianying looked at Wu Haocun. There were so many things he wanted to say to him, including about that girl.

The very moment he looked at her, old memories came rushing into his mind. Like, the first time his sister Lan Mengying brought her new friend home along with Wu Haocun and Gu Yunfeng. She had told him excitedly that they were the “Fabulous Four”, a nickname Lan Tianying never knew if it’s made up by the four or given by the public. That new friend was a young girl called Xingye, and she was from Jiancheng.

Now more than 20 years later, it was disconcerting seeing someone who physically resembled her so much, but who acted so differently. For as Xingye was reserved, sweet and charming, this young woman called Yushen was bold, outspoken and had hints of arrogant confidence.

“I am sorry, Haocun… I would love to do some catching up with you but Lan Manor is in trouble.” Lan Tianying grasped his right fist with the left hand. “When you have the time, please do drop by Lan Manor again.”

At that, Lan Tianying jumped onto a nearby horse that was apparently his, and had the horse gallop away.

Once Lan Tianying was gone, the group was left alone again. Though Huo Yuan was curious about the relationship between Lan Tianying and Wu Haocun, what happened to the Lan Manor was even more curious.

“Isn’t Jiancheng a school from Shuzhong? Aside from that, I haven’t heard anything about them before...” Huo Yuan said with a frown. And did they appear in the Central Plains with a bang! Fancy them taking over Lan Manor while its master was away! The audacity!

Xue Qian scoffed, “Hah. Count yourself lucky then.”

“What do you mean?” Huo Yuan asked.

“Jiancheng pretty much keeps to itself, that’s why you haven’t heard of it before. But it also rules the martial realm in Shuzhong with an iron fist and it has a really nasty reputation.

Back in Shuzhong, there is a saying, ‘Man or woman, young or old, as long as the person is from Jiancheng, he/she is rotten to the core and it’s best to keep a distance’.”

“That’s a bit of an over-generalisation, don’t you think? How can everyone at Jiancheng be bad?” Huo Yuan questioned, not quite believing what Xue Qian was saying.

“Hey I’m telling the truth!” Xue Qian scowled at the notion that his words were not taken as the absolute truth when he’s speaking nothing but the true hard facts.

“You just don’t know how horrible those people are! Accidentally knock them on the shoulder? You might just be poisoned to death without even knowing why. That person from Jiancheng who claims to be your best friend? Well, watch your back when you turn it to that friend; he/she might have a knife in hand ready to plunge it in. You decide not to live under their thumb anymore? Get ready to see your school wiped out clean, down to the last baby in the house.

And don’t even get started on their hierarchy system; it’s practically a food chain. The lowest ranked are no more than slaves in every sense. But even those pathetic slaves are all devil’s spawn, ready to do anything to get ahead in life or for their personal enjoyment.”

“That’s… terrible beyond words.” Huo Yuan frowned in disbelief. “Why didn’t the Xiwu court do something about them?”

“How?” Xue Qian shrugged. “Sure, an army could be raised against them and so on and so forth. But Jiancheng has thousands of people, all trained in martial arts and countless are highly skilled… I heard a story that if Jiancheng sends all of them out, they could murder all of Xiwu’s key decision makers and their deputies within a night. Now, that would be a nightmare for Xiwu, don’t you think?”

“Huh. So even the Xiwu court lives in fear?” Huo Yuan was amused by the idea that the big bad bully has someone to fear.

“Hah! Just wait till Xiwu rules the land! I just can’t see anyone tolerating Jiancheng’s poison once they have the world firmly in their hands and control.”

“Oh? You are so sure Xiwu will come out tops?” Huo Yuan challenged.

“Who else?” Xue Qian turned his nose up at Huo Yuan almost condescendingly.

“But what about Jiancheng, for now?” Huo Yuan poked at the only thing he knew Xiwu was hurting from.

“… I guess they are still to be tolerated.” Xue Qian said almost unwillingly with a tinge of defeat, but quickly glared in defiance.

Time was running short.

By the time Zhou He arrived at Hanyang, the news of Xiwu successfully occupying Jing Province had spread like wild fire, striking panic into the people's heart.

Jing Province was taken over by Xiwu in an incredibly short span of time… Zhou He knew if he does not move fast enough, it would not take long before Xiwu moves east and gobbles a good portion of Yangzhou.

The new military might of Xiwu was stunning, and the complete loss of Jing Province could prove fatal to Donghai. While Xiwu was fast, Zhou He knew he had the advantage of being a lone ranger. One man would definitely be faster than an entire marching army. Besides, after taking a number of cities within such a short timeframe, even the most robust soldier would need a break and the army will need time to replenish their supplies.

He knew that, this was why he’s now kneeling at the hall of Chaisang castle, before the feet of General Quan, governor of the Chibi region, his hands bounded behind the back.

“The audacity of Xiwu to invade us!” General Quan smashed his wine cup angrily.

General Quan Guang, just like General Huang Shi, was from a line of family who had served Donghai for generations. What’s different was that Quan Guang had supported Prince Zhang and was active in ridding Prince Ying’s camp of supporters. Zhou He loathed this man, but in the face of imminent destruction of Donghai there was no place for disunity.

“But we won’t lose! If they think they can take us by surprise, the joke is on them!” General Quan roared.

“Is that really possible, General Quan?”

Quan Guang threw a glare at Zhou He. “Don’t push your luck, Zhou He! Remember I can take your life anytime!”

“I don’t doubt that, General. But what should be remembered is the current Xiwu army is not the one we knew so well.” Zhou He replied calmly.

Quan Guang cooled down at that comment, knowing the truth of Zhou He’s words. He had heard stories of some powerful weapons the Xiwu army was using, but there were nothing concrete enough to help him come up with an effective defense plan. If it were arrows, he had already ordered the armory to forge large steel shields but to manufacture sufficient amounts that would take much resources and time, both of which Quan Guang did not have right now. As he was going crazy with worry, Zhou He had the nerve to show up saying he’s got a plan!

“Hmpf! I won’t listen to you! You are here to do me in so Prince Ying can take over the throne!” Quan Guang said stubbornly.

“In normal days, that would make a lot of sense, and yes, that’s probably what I’d do. But now with Xiwu at our doorstep? You think I’ve got the time and heart to do that?” Zhou He retorted. “What about you, General Quan? Do you still want this infighting to go on while Xiwu is busy helping itself to Donghai territories?”

“That… well!” Quan Guang’s face was red in embarrassment.

Zhou He was right of course, and Quan Guang himself knew that it was the infighting that had weakened Donghai. After the King passed away, the princes and the court were so busy fighting for their own interests that their allies and enemies were left forgotten. No intelligence was collected unless it served their personal interests; it was no wonder they did not know Xiwu’s military development and they are now paying the price of ignoring Xiwu for three years.

“The only way to solve this problem now, is as I proposed – fly the banner of Prince Ying. Then Xiwu would have no reason to attack us.”

“Nonsense! Why would Xiwu stop attacking just because I surrender to Prince Ying! If that’s the case, why not you convince the other governors to surrender to Prince Zhang so that Donghai can be unified and stop the advancement of Xiwu!” Quan Guang threw back.

“That wouldn’t work, because this invasion is based on the target of Prince Ying’s ascension to the throne. As long as that does not happen, Xiwu will continue to have the excuse to attack and absorb Donghai lands.

By continuing to support Prince Zhang, as admirable as that is, you are opening Chibi to an attack. The loss of Jing Province and Chibi will open the route to Jianye, but as long as Chibi remains safe in Donghai hands, Jianye will be safe and Xiwu will be wary of a two-pronged attack and will not move wantonly.

General, now the question isn’t whether you should stay loyal to Prince Zhang or not… but if you want Donghai to fall into Xiwu hands. We’ve lost Jing… but General you still have the power to protect Donghai.”

Zhou He paused for a moment before adding in a low voice, “… This is for Donghai, General.”

Quan Guang stayed silent for a long time before he spoke.

“… For Donghai? All of us have fought for three years on the idea that we were doing it for Donghai’s interests… but in the end we were only harming Donghai.” Quan Guang muttered.

“… It’s still not too late, General.” Zhou He said.

Quan Guang sighed. “All right. I’d rather Prince Ying have my hide than Xiwu getting their filthy hands on Jing. Chibi is now Prince Ying’s, and shall fly the flag of the soaring dragon!”

Zhou He bowed his head. “A most astute decision, General.”

Quan Guang looked at him. “… Still calling me that? Why don’t you call me the way you used to?”

Bitterness surged from Zhou He’s heart to his mouth. After what happened, how could he still address Quan Guang the way he did? He could never forget how Quan Guang had supported Prince Zhang even after the dastardly prince had ordered the merciless elimination of the entire Zhou family.

Quan Guang seemed to know what he was thinking and understood. He sighed as he went forward to untie the ropes bounding Zhou He’s hands and helped him up.

“… If you want to see them…”

“No. There is no time so I have to leave now for Wan.” Zhou He immediately refused the offer. He had his hands bind up and surrendered himself to Quan Guang because he knew the man would not kill him right away. Zhou He was betting on Quan Guang’s feelings of guilt or need to deliver a prize to Prince Zhang, and his gamble had paid off.

With a bow, Zhou He said, “I thank you for agreeing to my proposal. But I must now go convince the other governors that are still vulnerable to Xiwu. So if there is nothing else I have to leave now.”

“Oh… all right then.” Quan Guang relented.

Zhou He hurried out of Chaisang castle and to the stables, not even taking in the environment in the slightest. He was barely here for a day, but he knew if he even looked once, he would be overwhelmed by the memories. There was no time for that right now, and he most certainly did not wish to risk breaking down. Especially in front of that person who had followed him from the Pan palace to the army camp and from there again followed him here.

“Let’s go. The next destination is Wan.” He told Lanxi. It was a long way, but the governor of Wan is the next vulnerable point. If he submits, then Xiwu advancement will be stopped for sure and the other governors will surely think over their continuing support for the other princes.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 10-17-11 at 08:33 PM.

Lujiang

Sima Ren was lying on his couch comfortably as his concubines fed him fruits. Instead of simply eating the fruits, he sucked at the fingers playfully and the concubines giggled flirtatiously.

“Oh you are so bad, Your Highness! Are you so hungry?” They teased.

“It’s not only my stomach that’s hungry, you know.” Sima Ren smirked. Finally back from Wenyang Pass! What a backward place it was. There was barely any fun value there. No beautiful women either (ugly women should be put to death for hurting his eyes). Lujiang was the best afterall; it had everything he wanted be it material needs, food, wine or women.

He climbed onto one of his concubines and was starting to get intimate with her when Shi Dabian barged in.

The concubine shrieked in surprise and rolled off the couch awkwardly. Angered at the interruption of his merrymaking, Sima Ren threw a goblet at Shi Dabian who dodged it expertly.

“Can’t you even knock or announce yourself before coming in?!” Sima Ren yelled.

“My apologies, Your Highness. But I bring grave news.” Shi Dabian replied, unaffected by Sima Ren’s displeasure at him.

“What’s more grave than you interrupting my private time with my darlings?!” Sima Ren barked.

“Your Highness, Xiwu has taken Jing Province!”

Silence ensued for a moment before Sima Ren burst out laughing.

“Don’t be stupid! If you told me they had taken Xinye, then yeah, I’d believe you. But the entire Jing Province? Who are you kidding?” Sima Ren laughed and his concubines followed suit, laughing at Shi Dabian.

“Your Highness, it is true. Xiwu had taken the cities of Jing Province by complete surprise with their mobility, ferocity and I heard, with new weapons too. What’s more…” Shi Dabian’s tone became graver, “… General Huang Shi and General Quan Guang had surrendered to Prince Ying.”

“What?!” Sima Ren was shocked. “How… how could it be??”

He paced up and down the room nervously. “But… but!” He turned and glared at Shi Dabian. “Then what are you still doing here! You should be at Wenyang Pass defending against scoundrel Ying and his party of goons!”

“I apologise but there is no point to that, Your Highness.” Shi Dabian replied solemnly. “We are now surrounded by the enemies, be it Prince Ying or Xiwu… if we do not do something about it right now, all will be lost.”

“Then… then do something!” Sima Ren shouted.

“Yes, Your Highness. That’s why I’ve decided to surrender to Prince Ying as well.”

“Wha… what?!” Sima Ren’s jaw dropped.

“Wenyang Pass is already Prince Ying’s.” Shi Dabian stepped forward as Sima Ren and his concubines cowered in fear. “… And now if Lujiang also surrenders, Prince Ying will be able to ascend to the throne on time, before Xiwu has anymore chances to encroach on Donghai lands.”

“You… you can’t do this! The people of Lujiang will not allow this atrocity!” Sima Ren cried.

“Oh yes, they will.” Shi Dabian took another bold step forward. “How many days and nights have they suffered in cold hunger and poverty because of your over-taxing to support your needlessly extravagant lifestyle? How many families have lost their daughters to you by force? How many families have lost their sons-in-laws because those good men were defending the honour of their wives? How many women have killed themselves after being dishonoured by you? How many women have you ruined only to abandon them cold-heartedly without a second thought? Oh yes… the people of Lujiang would only be too happy to see the end of you.”

Sima Ren backed away until his back struck the wall and he gasped in fear.

“You… you can’t kill me! I… I’m a prince! A prince of Donghai! You can’t kill me!” Sima Ren shouted, despite his voice and body trembling badly.

“No. I won’t kill you, Your Highness. Shi Dabian would never dream to commit such a treacherous act. Your life is for Prince Ying, your royal brother and rightful King of Donghai to decide.” Shi Dabian shook his head when he saw Sima Ren’s pants were soaked.

“Men!”

Five soldiers rushed into the room.

“Take Prince Ren away.”

“Yes Sir!”

Shi Dabian looked at the two concubines who were shaking in fear as they watched Prince Ren being taken away.

“… This has got nothing to do with any of you. You are free to go wherever you want to.” Shi Dabian said.

“Thank you! Thank you!” The two concubines said hastily as they ran away as fast as they could.

Jianye

Jianye is a prosperous city that sits on the southern banks of the Yangtze River, less 300 kilometers inland from the Eastern Sea (Pacific Ocean). The Long River not only forms a natural protection against invaders from the North, but also provides an easy travelling route for merchants from the west, thus allowing the city to enjoy a relatively peaceful life and flourishing economy despite the warfare over the past century.

In the springtime, the fragrance of the fully bloomed plum blossoms fills the air as its white, pink, and red petals float along the gentle spring breeze before finally landing in the blue waters of the rivers, streams and lakes. It was no wonder that Sun Quan of Eastern Wu had fallen in love with the city and set it as his capital. However, less than one hundred years later, it now serves as the capital city of Donghai instead. But who knows to whom city will belong to tomorrow?

In the Imperial Garden located behind the lavish palace that Sun Quan had built, three Donghai Princes sat in a pavilion, looking on at the plum blossoms falling upon the Mochou Lake. Yet, while their eyes were fixated upon the lake, their minds were occupied with other thoughts.

The Princes sipped at the wine and nibbled at the desserts silently before Sima Huang finally spoke out, “I think I will have to personally go to Wancheng to stop General Wu Xian from surrendering.”

“No. You must stay here,” Sima Xing replied coolly.

“Easy for you to say. It’s not your territory that’s in danger!” Sima Huang scowled.

Sima Zhang snickered coldly without taking his eyes away from the lake, “Third Brother is right. You need to stay here. Do you think you can make it to Wancheng in time to stop Zhou He? The even with the fastest horses, news of Quan Guang surrendering must have taken at least a day to arrive here. If you want to travel back to Wancheng, it will take at least another day, even if you travel non-stop on the fastest horses. Yet, Zhou He is travelling from Hanyang. Not only is he closer, but he already has a day of head start on you. It’s pointless to go now.”

“But…but…I can’t just sit here! Even if he takes Wancheng, I can still save Runan!”

Sima Zhang rolled his eyesand shook his head in disbelief, “Runan? What’s the point? You’ll only be surrounded by enemies. Go blame your idiot second brother for losing Lujiang right under his nose.”

“So we are just going to watch Sima Ying eat up all the land? That’s disgraceful! I’d rather feed myself to the dolphins than watch Sima Ying take over Donghai!” Sima Huang slammed his hand on the table, causing the wine flask to topple over and spill upon Sima Zhang’s sleeve.

Sima Zhang did not move his arm even though the wine had soaked through his sleeve. Instead, he stared off into a far distance and stated calmly, “It is better that he takes over those territories than Xiwu. Xiwu is entering this war with the excuse of helping Pan, who in turn is using the excuse of helping Sima Ying reclaim the throne. But, do you honestly think Xiwu would relinquish the lands that it fought for so easily? Do you think Pan would fight for Ying without asking for a price in return? It’s better for the city to surrender to Ying than having it being militarily occupied by either Xiwu or Pan. At the moment, we may be strong enough to defend against Pan or Xiwu individually, but we definitely cannot fight against both at the same time. A direct fight will only be suicide.

“A man should be flexible and be strong enough to endure humiliation for the greater cause. Han Xin was able to endure the humiliation of crawling through someone’s legs. Ying has already inflicted damage to Donghai’s territory by inviting Pan and Xiwu to attack us. Even if he managed to take over, Donghai citizens will be upset. When the time comes, it will be much easier putting the title of “Traitor” on top of Ying’s head and throwing him out than expelling Xiwu or Pan armies. So for now, we must do what saves our lives and then plan to reclaim our lost lands in the future.”
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 10-23-11 at 10:46 PM.

Lan Manor, south of Shouchun

Miao Guilan sat rigidly at the dining table, eating the dinner with a most solemn expression.

A soft noise attracted her attention. Her eyes flashed in anger when she saw it was her 12 years old son Lan Qicheng who had dropped a piece of fish meat from the chopsticks.

Catching sight of his mother’s glare and sensing her dissatisfaction at him, Lan Qicheng gulped nervously and made a quick grab at the meat with the chopsticks. But the attempt failed as his hand was trembling and he grew even more anxious than before.

A pair of chopsticks cuts in, picking up the fish meat expertly and placing it onto Lan Qicheng’s bowl of rice.

The boy turned and looked in surprise at the person who had just helped him.

“Stay calm.” The tall and handsome man said.

Lan Qicheng nodded and smiled, but quickly hid the smile when he sensed his mother’s growing fury.

The spineless boy! Just because people showed him a little kindness, he was ready to sell out his pride and home! What kind of son have I brought up, she cursed to herself.

“Why, Madam Lan. You look mightily angry.”

At that, Miao Guilan could no longer hold it in. She slammed her chopsticks onto the table, which vibrated under the force. Lan Qicheng gasped in fear while his 16 years old brother Lan Qiwen sat up uncomfortably.

“How thick-skinned can you be! You are not welcomed here! How dare you continue to join us at the table!” Miao Guilan spat. “Don’t you have a shred of self-respect, Lord Jueqing of Jiancheng?”

“As I said before, this isn’t a matter of welcome. You do not have a choice.” Jueqing replied calmly as he picks up the meat from the fish’s best part and sends it into his mouth without hesitation.

Miao Guilan saw red.

“That… only my husband eats that part!” She fumed.

“Well, he isn’t here.” Jueqing smiled in amusement.

“How dare you?!” Miao Guilan cried.

“Ahem, Mother. Let’s not quarrel at the dining table.” Lan Qiwen whispered, pulling at his mother’s sleeve. This was unsightly, more so when Jueqing was obviously paying her little attention and was eating dinner most quietly. But he was right; Lan Manor had no say or choice.

Jueqing showed up a couple of weeks ago, introducing himself as the Lord of Jiancheng and wished to challenge his father to a duel. That surprised everyone and there were three reasons for that. First of all he was perhaps the strangest person they had ever laid eyes on, what with his golden hair and blue eyes. Secondly he claimed to be the Lord of Jiancheng, a school that had barely presence outside of Shuzhong. Thirdly, no one had dared to challenge Lan Tianying for years and he’s the first in several years, and one who’s so young and whose name they had never even heard of before.

They tried to turn him away but he was a stubborn one. Finally they lost patience and tried to use force but they were so swiftly defeated none of them knew what hit them.

Angered at Jueqing’s audacity, Miao Guilan - wife of Lan Tianying and daughter of Miao Yang, chief of Iron Sword Sect - came out to fight him. She was recognised to be a capable pugilist but was defeated by Jueqing so quickly and easily it was stunning.

The other higher-skilled members of Lan Manor came to defend their home and mistress but were defeated with equal ease.

Without its master, Lan Manor fell to Jueqing with shocking ease.

Yet Jueqing had not hurt a single soul in Lan Manor and merely took up residence in the guest room. He was in the room most of the times and when he went out it was only to stroll in the manor’s gardens or play chess with himself in the pavilion. If anything, he appeared to be rather quiet and amicable. Combined with his physical attractiveness, it did not take long for him to win over the hearts of the manor’s maids. Even the servants and students found it hard to truly resent him, considering his extreme low profile behaviour, but his mere presence in the manor antagonised Miao Guilan nonstop and he seemed happy to continue provoking her.

“Well, Madam Lan looks rather adorable whenever she’s angry.”

Miao Guilan’s face turned red in anger and embarrassment, even more so when Jueqing sounded so purposefully innocent when passing that remark.

“How… how could you say such a thing! How improper!” She scolded.

“I’m only speaking the truth. Besides, don’t all women get happy when complimented?” Jueqing smiled.

“Argh… that’s not the point!” Miao Guilan was raising her voice again. “You… so improper and so disrespectful to your elders! What would your wife say if she heard you saying this kind of nonsense to other women!”

“I don’t have a wife. I do have a couple of lovers though.”

“Wow. Really?” Lan Qicheng looked up immediately, his eyes looking at Jueqing in admiration and tone dripping in envy.

“Qicheng!” Miao Guilan yelled angrily and Lan Qicheng quickly lowered his head. “Stop this shamelessness! You are a bad influence on my sons!”

“I beg your pardon, Madam Lan. But I never made myself out to be a role model.” Jueqing flashed another charming smile at Miao Guilan who blushed, if in anger.

“You… full of nonsense! Unbelievable!” Miao Guilan balled her fists angrily.

Lan Qiwen sighed, wishing his mother would stop biting the bait.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 10-24-11 at 11:04 AM.

Zhou He knew every single minute he spent on rest is another minute gained for the Xiwu army, which by then was most likely to have resumed their march.

Surely the Xiwu generals would have learnt of Quan Guang’s surrender, and in order to hasten their conquest of Donghai, will move faster than ever to the next opening – Wancheng.

As he rode across the land, he turned his head to look at Lanxi who was riding right behind him.

When he left the army camp, he didn’t think she’d learn of it or to continue following him. She was, after all, under the close watch of Yi Quan.

Well, maybe not that close, since she apparently gave the young man the slip.

Lanxi’s qinggong was top notch, but for Zhou He who was highly sensitive and alert to his environments, it did not take long for him to discover that she was following him.

Even though she eventually revealed herself and he accepted her presence, they had spoken little. She didn’t seem happy and not wishing to get her hopes high up, Zhou He did not say or do anything to make her feel better.

But her following him around could be dangerous. Xiwu and the Donghai princes at Jianye will find out about him eventually, and even if the Donghai princes decide not to act against him, there was no guarantee Xiwu would do the same. At least Zhou He was still a Donghai man, and Donghai falling to Prince Ying would be a much preferable result for the princes compared to Xiwu.

Xiwu on the other hand, was obviously trying its very best to conquer as much Donghai lands as possible, not only to destroy its greatest enemy but also to take another step to world dominance.

Ironically, it was Pan that gave Xiwu this chance. Zhou He had no doubts that Pan will come to regret this in time.

As Zhou He thought this, an arrow whisked through the air.

Lanxi screamed when she saw the arrow whisk past Zhou He’s head.

She held her hand to the mouth and let out a breath of relief when she saw that Zhou He was not dead. He had leaned back at the nick of time so that the only damage the arrow caused was a graze on his forehead, which now has a long red line of blood.

Zhou He’s eyes swept around and saw hidden archers at surrounding hilltops.

“Assassins! Run!” Zhou He called out to Lanxi as he reared his horse and brandished his sword. Out in the open, they had no choice but to drive their horses forward.

A torrent of arrows rained down. But the archers seemed to know who their target was, for most of the arrows went for Zhou He instead of Lanxi.

Zhou He hits out with his sword, hacking, smacking and parrying away a good number of the arrows. But there were too many arrows and eventually one stabs right onto his sword arm. Then another shot through his shoulder, and another hits his right leg.

“Argh!” Zhou He cried in pain. They were almost out of range, as the raining arrows lessened considerably. Lanxi tried to help, but had difficulty dodging the arrows herself. Her eyes burnt upon seeing that Zhou He was injured.

Eventually they rode out of range, leaving the archers and their nasty arrows behind.

They were at a rushing river when despite his injuries, Zhou He turned to regard Lanxi.

“Are you… are you all right?” He questioned anxiously.

Lanxi would have answered him, except that the moment the words left his lips; there was an odd dull noise. Zhou He threw out his chest, his face pale, an arrow embedded in his back.

It was then she noticed a horseback archer some distance away, his wicked face wearing a smug grin resulting from the great satisfaction that he had caught his prey dead-on.

Lanxi threw her sword at the man. Her aim was true, for the sword shot through the man’s head, but not before he shot another arrow at Zhou He.

Lanxi watched in horror as the arrow hits Zhou He on the neck and he tumbled off the horse and into the rushing river.

“NO!” She cried, leaping off the horse and dashing to the river. But it was too late; the river had carried off Zhou He…

Wancheng

The Donghai city of Wancheng was still smoking from the attack. The Xiwu army had marched from Xinye and Xiangyang and swept the city clean just before dawn. The beauty of the morning sun was wasted on the frightened civilians rounded up and shoved towards an unknown fate.

The Donghai troops defending the city were more dazed than enraged by the audacious Xiwu assault which dismantled the defences with ease. They were forced to bury their dead comrades in large mass graves outside the city, and all their weapons, equipment and supplies were confiscated.

The marshal who commanded the Xiwu army, Zhao Yu, stood atop the city walls and yawned. Whether it was from lack of sleep or from boredom, no one knew.

With their objective complete, Zhao Yu summoned the officers. He announced, "Reward the men richly with the city's loot, then tell that Zhang Duo Qian we're ready to hand over the city. Alright. Tomorrow we assemble the troops and march south."

The officers cupped their hands in salute and set about their tasks.

The next day

The main body of the Xiwu troops, well-rested and refreshed, moved out of Wancheng in 2 divisions and marched rapidly to the south.

The Xiwu army did not have a strong marine force, so they prudently avoided the extensive waterways in the area and kept to the main roads. Soon they reached Jingzhou where they re-supplied and re-equipped.

At this point, the Xiwu army dispatched a contingent under Brigadier Mu Tou to parley with Quan Guang, with the instruction to ask how the Jiangxia garrison intended to aid Prince Ying in his mission.

Luoyang

The Xiwu Chief Envoy Zhang Duo Qian received the message by courier pigeon and grinned at the good news. The Princess's plan was working out marvelously. He quickly sought an audience with the King of Pan.

At the Court session, the King was listening to the battlefield reports impatiently. General Wen was locked in a stalemate at the Ban Pass in Lujiang while the northern front with Xiang wasn't faring much better.

As for Prince Ying, although there were reports that Huang Shi had surrendered Shouchun to him, there was still no news of his coalition force attacking Jianye despite the easy victory at the Kuang Pass.

Just then, the courtiers announced Envoy Zhang, who greeted the King with a broad smile. The King raised his eyebrows curiously.

Envoy Zhang announced, "Your Royal Highness, I bring good news. Our great Xiwu army had captured Wancheng, and today I proudly present the city to Your Royal Highness as a gift from Xiwu, as a token of goodwill from our state. Please accept our humble gift."
    Last edited by IcyFox; 10-27-11 at 01:50 AM.

Unknown to the Xiwu forces, no sooner had Prince Ying heard of his brother’s death and the loss of Jing Province, he had quickly formed a small unit of crack troops and left the city, leaving the Pan troops behind.

In his camp were young lieutenants Huang Yi and Huang Hu, sons of Huang Shi. Although they were young, they were also known to be fierce and talented warriors who could hold their own. Leaving Huang Shi in charge of Shouchun, Prince Ying left with his small Donghai unit that was made up of less than 3000 men.

The unit was small but incredibly mobile. The small size also ensured they were not discovered along the way.

As the unit hid in the forest near Jianye, Prince Ying held a meeting with Huang Yi and Huang Hu.

“… Your Highness… won’t the Pan generals be unhappy when they learn of your departure?” Huang Yi asked.

Prince Ying paused for a moment before he replied, “… If they are smart, they should understand my reasons for doing so.”

“But Your Highness, Jianye is a strong city protected by hundreds of thousands of soldiers. We only have 3000 men... this is suicidal unless we really have a good plan.” Huang Hu warned.

“I know. You’ve said that no less than five times.” Prince Ying sighed. “I’ve dispatched 20 elite soldiers from the unit earlier. They will act tomorrow night.”

“Tomorrow night?” Huang Yi raised a brow.

“… I gave them this.” Prince Ying unrolled a piece of drawing on their makeshift meeting table.

No sooner had Huang Yi landed his eyes on the drawing, he realised what it was.

“A… blueprint of Jianye?! And those odd marks… could they be secret passages??” Huang Yi couldn’t believe his eyes.

“Yes. Zhou He and I drew the maps when we were still at Luoyang. We thought it might come in useful and it did.” Prince Ying nodded. But of course it could only be accomplished with Cuifen’s help. Without her, coming up with the blueprint and duplicating it couldn’t have been done.

The Kings of Donghai had systematically built tunnels and secret passages in Jianye for strategic purposes but due to Donghai’s military strength and domestic stability they were never used. To think the passages would be used for such purposes. This was the plan all along, except that Zhou He wasn’t around to assist executing it.

“We’ve never even heard of these passages’ existence!” Huang Hu was in marvel.

“Yes. Only the royal members know it.” Prince Ying replied.

“Then… won’t the princes know about this and guard the passages?” Huang Yi was worried.

“No. The passages were long forgotten and by the time my brothers remember about it, our unit would have infiltrated the castle in full and take over Jianye.” Prince Ying said confidently.

“Ah. So that’s what the 20 men were for.” Huang Yi nodded in approval.

“Yes. They had to scout ahead. So even if the passages were guarded, their presence in the city itself…” Prince Ying’s voice trailed off, but there was no need for him to finish the sentence. The Huang brothers knew that Jianye was theirs.

A night later…

The Donghai guard yawned and stretched his body. He looked up at the night sky and saw how empty it was, for there was no moon and there were barely any stars.

The corner of his eyes caught a moving shadow at the feet of the city wall and he peered over.

“Huh. Hey. What do you think that is?” He called to his partner.

Having received no answer, he turned but was met with a swift but hard punch on his face that knocked the wind out of him.

Then all was black.

Prince Zhang sat at his desk, staring down at it and sighed.

A pair of fair arms embraced him from behind.

“What are you doing, staring at the empty table and sighing like that?”

“I’m thinking how useless I am.” Prince Zhang replied wryly.

“Huh?”

“By right as the eldest son I should have been the heir. I am not inferior to him in terms of intellect and capability, and my mother is of a higher birth than his. Yet Father chose him.” Prince Zhang gritted his teeth in resentment. It was obvious the ‘he’ was referring to Prince Ying.

Then after a silent moment, he sighed. “But maybe Father was right. I couldn’t have succeeded in getting rid of Ying if I had not joined forces with those imbecile brothers of mine. And by doing so, Donghai’s strength is weakened and my failure to overpower my brothers to seize the throne merely undermines everything I’ve worked for. Now because of these infighting, Donghai is in the danger of collapsing… If that happened, it would be all my fault, you know?”

“You blame yourself too much…”

Prince Zhang turned and stared into the tender eyes of his beloved wife Lady Jia.

“… I only blame myself for thinking too highly of myself.” He held Lady Jia’s hands and gave them a warm squeeze. “But at least I have you with me. None of my brothers, not even Ying, could boast of having true love.”

He hugged Lady Jia tightly and kissed her.

“… I might die, but I don’t think Ying will harm you. So…”

“My lord?” Lady Jia was confused.

“Hush. Let me hug and kiss you a little longer.” Prince Zhang pressed his lips onto hers and they sank into such happiness that Lady Jia thought they could drown.

But the dream was rudely shattered when the doors were kicked open.

Prince Zhang had to let go of her. He stood up and smiled coldly at the rude intruder.

“Ah… Ying.” Prince Zhang scoffed. He had long heard the hurried footsteps of Prince Ying’s soldiers who had sneaked into the palace. Now that the doors were opened, the floodgates were opened; they could hear clearly the screams and shouts in the palace.

Huang Yi tossed forward the bounded Sima Xing and Sima Huang onto the floor. The two princes were so shamed they couldn’t lift up their heads. Despite so, Prince Zhang held his head high.

“Hmpf. I have to hand it to you. How did you get in like this?” Prince Zhang questioned.

“The passages.” Prince Ying replied simply.

With the city guards taken out at areas where the passages’ entries were hidden at, Prince Ying’s small unit was able to move freely and undetected under the moonless night. They passed through the passages, surprised the palace guards and took over crucial guard towers and gates within a short span of time. Realising that it was over, the palace guards surrendered.

“Oh… I see…” Prince Zhang fell silent. They had completely forgotten about the passages. Perhaps it was a sign of how unfit they were to be the King of Donghai.

“Take him away.” Prince Ying ordered.

As Huang Yi and his men went up to seize him, Prince Zhang held up his hand.

“Hmpf! I won’t end up like those fools on the floor. I can, and will walk!”

“… If you wish.” Prince Ying did not press on. His eldest brother was a prideful man that cannot be pushed too far. This was his limit and having shown some true princely dignity, Prince Ying just had to respect that.

“… One thing.” Prince Zhang said.

“What?”

Prince Zhang did not look at Lady Jia; he could not bear to do so.

“… Spare her.”

“… I will.” Prince Ying promised.

“Thank you.” Prince Zhang said solemnly.

As he walked out of the room with the escorts, he shut his eyes and sighed, his heart breaking as he heard the inevitable wail.

The news of the princes’ downfall spread like wild fire. Perhaps realizing their folly and gladdened that Donghai could finally have its peace now that it will have a King, the governors of Guangling, Yuzhang, Linchuan and Jian-an promptly surrendered to Prince Ying.

At Jianye, the court was already preparing to crown Prince Ying and he was expecting the arrival of his old enemies to officially submit themselves to him and pledge their allegiance, for he had promised amnesty as long as they are loyal and faith to Donghai.

Prince Ying stood at the castle wall and stared down at the cheering people who were delighted that they will soon have a king again. Peace!

So much had happened within such a short period of time, but it couldn’t have happened without the assassinations that remained a mystery. Now that peace has returned to Donghai, he needs to plan out his next move, with one of the top priorities being to strengthen military power, particularly defenses against those new Xiwu weapons and war tactics.

He grasped his hands together tightly.

Still no news of Zhou He.

He had never felt more uneasy than now. Donghai has finally stabilised, but it is in a vulnerable state. Any wrong move and it could lead to complete destruction. He has to move fast and prudently, first of all to strengthen friendship with his neighbours, primarily Pan.

“Boyan… come back quickly… I need you…” Prince Ying whispered.

Following post 109

Wu Haocun observed as Lan Tianying left. A part of him strongly wished to follow Tianying partially to help him but more importantly, to learn about the whereabouts of Lan Mengying. Rumors had it that she died during the Lan Manor arson; however, Haocun could not bring himself to accept this. Unless he heard it from Lan Tinaying, he held on to whatever little hope he had that Mengying might still be alive. Among the members of the Fabulous Four, he was closest to her and always thought of her as a sister. If she was still alive, perhaps that meant she was also in trouble while under the Lan Manor house arrest.

Haocun felt troubled, yet, there were more important things at stake. The responsibility rested heavily on his shoulders that neither romance nor deep rooted friendship from the past can interfere with his task at hand. Also, Lan Tianying was a very able martial artist, the Lan Manor should be fine once Tianying returned. He wondered who that Yushen girl was and why did she look so similar to Xingye? Seeing both Lan Tianying and Yushen brought so many memories from the past, and he was momentarily lost in his thoughts. He shook his head and forced himself to focus on the task at hand.

He turned around to look at his new friends and declared, “Feng and I will take our leave back to the outskirts of Luoyang now.” He hesitated, for really did not wish to bring them along with him. Having a large group to look after greatly delayed his task, but he did not wish to be rude towards a group that showed him such respect and courtesy. He merely smiled and stated, “Perhaps, if we have an affinity, we shall meet again in the near future.”

Xue Qian brushed off the insect that flew onto his robe and raised his palms in respect, “Thanks for helping me leave Louyang. It took great efforts to safely leave the city and the kingdom. As I am a wanted man in Pan, it is best that I head back to Xiwu where I can return to my comfortable lifestyle.” His eyes darkened a bit as he recalled how Yue Fei-ir mistreated him. Quickly, he then turned to Huo Yuan and patted him on his shoulder, “If you ever come to Xiwu, look for me.”

Feng interrupted, “The Pan troops are so close to this border, aren’t you scared that…”

Xue Qian laughed, “Didn’t you hear? Xiwu troops are also close by. No need to worry about me. I will simply take one of the horses and head towards Xiangyiang to look for Xiwu.” He hopped onto the same horse he rode the previous night and waved them a final good bye.

Feng nodded his head, “That Xue Qian may seem like an idiot most days,but he has a point.” Feng faced Wang Ai Lang and Huo Yuan, “You both are also wanted by the kingdom of Pan. Perhaps it will also be wise for you to avoid Pan for now?” Feng quickly avoided Huo Yuan’s eyes when she brought up the suggestion.

Wang Ai Lang quickly thought to himself, “My injuries aren’t fully healed. If I return to Pan and they recognize me, then I would have wasted this life of mine. That bastard Pan king definitely deserves to die, yet I am not strong enough to kill him in this state. Plus, things have been somewhat tense between me and Huo Yuan. Better that I leave them now and clear things up later. Furthermore, it looks like Hero Wu is too set in his task for me to be able to recruit him for my cause.”

Wang Ai Lang also jumped onto a horse and spoke out loud, “I have neglected my station in Xiang, thus I must return to Xiang for now. Huo Yuan, I hope you forgive me for framing you, but you will understand where my loyalty lies in the future.” He turned to Wu Haocun and greeted him with respect, “Hero Wu, I also hope to meet you again in the future. Take care.” He kicked the horse with his feet and immediately bolted north towards Ye, the capital of Xiang.

Feng looked at Huo Yuan, expecting to hear him announce his departure from the group. However, Huo Yuan shook his head, “It looks like with our beard, hardly anyone can recognize us. And since there isn’t much for me to do in Xiang now, I would like to come along with you two.”

Huo Yuan recalled that Feng promised to help Wu Haocun find two people. Nevertheless, it appeared that no one except for himself knew that Feng is a girl,including Wu Haocun. Hence, Huo Yuan decided to join them to ensure that Wu Haocun wasn’t deceived by Feng. Why did Feng disguise herself, and what was her motive?

Feng quickly glared at Huo Yuan, who swiftly walked past her towards their horse and whispered in her ears, “Do not provoke me unless you want me to spill your secret.”
    Last edited by patricia n; 10-28-11 at 10:58 PM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)