Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Mandate #1

The journey back to Luoyang, although not short, took them longer than Wu Haocun had anticipated. They had to evade recognition, thus if there was potential to encounter any government officials or Pan soldiers then the group had to find an alternate route. Ultimately, after many days of meandering on bumpy and obscure roads, the three found themselves about twenty li from Luoyang on a hot and humid day. The weather was quite miserable, and one would hope for just the tiniest breeze to alleviate the harsh condition. Unfortunately for the trio, there was no welcoming breeze. They continued to sweat and their horses were too exhausted to continue in the heat. They jumped down from their horses and settled under the large oak tree that was located close to a pond.

Feng recognized the pond and realized that they were close to her brother’s home. The water level in the pond was usually much higher than it was currently, but because of evaporation from the extreme heat these past few days, the water level had dropped about a quarter of its usual level. Feng frowned, for she had miscalculated their steps. She thought she knew all the routes to her brother’s home, but because they had to take so many detours, she erred in assuming that they were going farther away from her brother’s home. She prayed that her brother and sister in law were currently no where close by. Her plan to misguide Wu Haocun would backfire if either one of them showed up. This pond was where the locals commonly gather to wash their clothes or even bathe as it was one of the few big ponds in their community. Perhaps if she rushed Wu Haocun and Huo Yuan then she would not have to worry about anyone from the area recognizing her. Fortunately, the day was so hot that no one wanted to step outside of their home to face the blazing sun. She looked in the horse’s direction and knew that her plan to leave immediately would be in vain. They simply had no energy left and no desire to leave the shade provided by the large oak tree overhead.

She suddenly heard Wu Haocun exclaim, “It’s been so long since we all took a bath. Let’s not waste this glorious pond.” She quickly turned to look in the opposite direction, sat behind the oak tree, and replied, “I prefer to stay under this shade.” She suddenly felt a breeze, only to realize that Huo Yuan had approached her and sat next to her.

Huo Yuan yelled, “Hero Wu, I will join you in a moment after I rest momentarily.” He stayed silent before he stated to Feng, “What are your intentions?”

Feng raised her eyebrows, “What do you mean?”

Huo Yuan responded, “Don’t think Hero Wu and I haven’t noticed that you’ve been leading us in circles? He hasn’t mentioned anything about it, but he will soon. It looks like he’s running out of patience with this game of yours.”

“He knows?”

“No, he doesn’t know that you’re a girl, but he knows that you are leading us no where. I don’t think you’re a bad person, but you are behaving very suspiciously.”

Feng held her breath as Huo Yuan spoke. And she thought she was being so cunning in deceiving them.

Seeing her stay silent, Huo Yuan continued, “If you don’t reveal your motives, then I will not hesitate to help Hero Wu force you to find those two people.”

Feng finally broke her silence and asked quietly, “Do you even know who those people are?”

The truth was, Wu Haocun couldn’t fully trust Huo Yuan and thus did not share any information about the people he was searching for, including their names.

Huo Yuan shook his head.

Feng continued in panic, “One of them is my sister in law. I don’t know what he wants from her. There is a large reward for anyone who finds her. How can I do that to my dear sister in law?”

“Sima Cuifen is your sister in law?”

Feng turned her head to the voice and saw Wu Haocun towering above them. She tried to stand up and run away, but Wu Haocun somersaulted above and landed directly in front of her then hit her acupuncture point, causing her to be immobilized.

Huo Yuan ran towards them, “Hero Wu, what…”

Wu Haocun raised his right hand, “Don’t worry. I won’t hurt her.” He turned to Feng, “Yes, I heard everything and know about your secret. Where is Sima Cuifen?”

Feng sternly said, “Kill me if you must. I will not tell you anything.”

Haocun smiled, “I promise I will not harm her. I have no interest in rewards. Finding her is of utmost importance to the political state of Donghai. I beg you.”

He began to kneel down when Feng shouted, “Don’t. Please swear to me that you will not harm her and I promise to bring you to her.”

Wu Haocun took an oath, “I, Wu Haocun, swear that I have no bad intentions towards Sima Cuifen. If I go back on my words, then I hope lightning strikes me one hundred times.”

Feng was satisfied with his oath. She ultimately guided them to her brother, Tang Baozhi’s home. The home was a simple but quaint shack. Although a little run down, there was an air of coziness and warmth. As one entered the front yard, one could see a small vegetable garden to the right and a few chickens freely running around and pecking on the corn in the middle. To the left were a few clothesline with some wet clothes hanging on it. The main entrance to the house was very plain but clean. As a matter of fact, it was the only part of the house that looked new because it was in fact, a new door that Tang Baozhi had just bought with the money that Sima Ying gave them. The couple was in dire need of a new door as the old one couldn’t be shut tightly. With this new door, they felt more secure when they went to bed.

Feng approached the door and knocked three times, but no one opened the door. She knocked a few more times and still, nothing. Feng frowned. Her brother may be hunting at this hour, but her sister in law was usually always home.

Seeing how perplexed and worried Feng looked, Wu Haocun pushed open the door and was surprised to face Chen Biyu.
    Last edited by patricia n; 10-28-11 at 04:41 AM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Chen Biyu eyed Wu Haocun then smirked. Her sword laid on the table in front of her. The sunray that entered the room hit the blade, and it glistened magnificently.

Wu Haocun remembered the day he searched for her at the One Hundred Flower Brothel. He showed her the picture of Sima Cuifen…could it be that she had been waiting here to ambush him? He glanced around the room and saw no one else except for Chen Biyu.

Feng spoke first, “Where are they?”

Chen Biyu ignored Feng. She simply quoted, “I promise to be true to you and forever I will wait. So long as you promise to be faithful to me, forevermore I will wait.”

Wu Haocun’s heart stirred, and he looked down in shame. He remembered that beautiful spring day when Chen Biyu accepted his marriage proposal. Those were the exact words she happily revealed to him.

Chen Biyu quickly slammed the table. The sword bounced up and she quickly grabbed onto the grip. Just as quickly, she somersaulted towards Wu Haocun with the tip of her blade aiming for his neck while he was distracted by the thoughts of his blissful past. Huo Yuan grabbed his spear and countered Biyu’s attack. He had never parried against anyone who moved as fast as Biyu before. Her speed was almost blinding as she slashed in various directions to confuse him. Biyu recognized the weakness in Huo Yuan’s moves. She saw that each time Huo Yuan changed the direction of the spear, it slowed him down and exposed his upper body to attacks. She immediately twisted her right hand and pretended to aim for Wu Haocun when in fact she was gathering speed to pierce Huo Yuan’s right shoulder.

Suddenly, Haocun intervened. He saw that Huo Yuan was not Chen Biyu’s match and he was in danger. Haocun jumped in between the two and used only his hand to fight against Chen Biyu. Just as Huo Yuan was not a match for Chen Biyu, Biyu was not a match for Wu Haocun. If he was not concerned about hurting her, he could have easily stopped her the moment he intervened.

“Biyu, this is not the time to do this,” Haocun pleaded.

Chen Biyu ignored him as she focused on defending herself from his attacks.

“Biyu, listen to me. Sima Cuifen is the lost princess of Donghai. Only she could tell us who is the rightful heir to the late King. You have to put aside your past as thousands, if not millions, of innocent civilian lives depend on this person’s words. And if you hurt her, you’ll be committing treason.” He jabbed his right index and middle finger against her left shoulder and exerted little energy to shock her.

He hoped that this speech impacted her. The Chen Biyu of the past, the same one he fell in love with was also a heroine of her time. In fact, they had met during the peak of the Fabulous Four’s reputation. Chen Biyu had disguised herself as a member of the Fabulous Four in order to threaten evil-doers. She had borrowed their reputation as she travelled from town to town throughout Donghai to scare the thieves and rapists. Unfortunately for her, a small unorthodox sect began to suspect her act as she was always seen traveling alone. They ambushed her and caught her; fortunately, Wu Haocun had witnessed the ambush and saved her before she could be harmed. At first, she mocked him and thought he was pretending to be a member of the Fabulous Four, and it took him a long while to finally convince her that he truly was the leader of the Fabulous Four. Regardless, his adventures with her demonstrated that she really was a heroine and cared greatly for the people of Donghai.

The shock caused Chen Biyu to drop her sword. She rubbed her left shoulder as she repeated, “Thousands, if not millions, of innocent civilian lives?” As much as she hated Wu Haocun, she did not have the heart to jeopardize these peoples’ lives; afterall, she herself was from Donghai.

She led Wu Haocun, Huo Yuan, and Feng to the bedroom where they found Sima Cuifen and Tang Baozhi tied to two chairs.

Feng rushed to them to untie them, “Big brother! Big sister in law! Are you both alright?”

Biyu walked towards them and unsealed their accupoints, “Sorry, I muted them.”

The two looked at Feng and exclaimed, “Xiangfeng! We were so worried about you!”

Sima Cuifen brushed the rope off of her and explained, “After the king opened the gates to Luoyang, your brother and I immediately went to look for you and found that you had been missing for awhile. No one knew your whereabouts including the innkeeper. And then…” Cuifen quickly glanced in Biyu’s direction.

Chen Biyu revealed, “I knew that Wu Haocun was looking for her, so when I saw them at Zhao Long Inn, I followed them back here because sooner or later, Wu Haocun would come and find them.”

Feng was greatly confused as she did not know what vendetta Chen Biyu had against Wu Haocun. She had been with him for the past few weeks, and he was a hero and gentleman in her eyes.

Sima Cuifen asked, “Wu Haocun? The great hero Wu Haocun? Why is he looking for me?”

Wu Haocun stepped forward and bowed, “Your servant, Wu Haocun, pays his respect to your highness. If I may please have a word in private with you.”

Sima Cuifen looked at Feng, who nodded to reassure her. Everyone exited the room except for Sima Cuifen and Wu Haocun.

The two sat down and Haocun first pleaded, “Please forgive that woman who offended you. She did not know that you are Princess Cuifen.”

“Do not worry about that. I haven’t considered myself as a princess in many years, and plus, I am so powerless now. Why are you looking for me?”

Haocun responded solemnly, “I have given up my reclusive lifestyle because I can no longer ignore the internal conflicts between the princes. Their selfishness and ignorance have greatly harmed the people of Donghai. All around me, people are living in poverty. Innocent virgins are being torn from their family to serve the princes, and all young men are forced to enlist to serve the kingdom. There is barely enough rice and water for everyone. Even if I try to help each person, there is only one of me. The most effective way to help the mass is to have a unified kingdom under one strong leadership. I heard that the queen and you had escaped because you disagree with your brothers’ method and also because you refused to support Prince Zhang.”

Sima Cuifen nodded, “Yes, Royal father was wise in choosing Prince Ying as heir; unfortunately, the other princes have managed to exile him.”

“I have witnessed him in action, and he is indeed a brave and wise young man with much potential. All I want to know is who the rightful heir is so I can offer my support and service to him to help return Donghai to its glory days.”

Sima Cuifen excitedly stood up, “Yes, Royal brother Ying is the rightful heir, and there is proof too!” Seeing Haocun raise his eyebrows, she answered, “There is an imperial edict stating that Royal brother Ying is the rightful heir to the throne. It is stored in Pu Ti Temple. I don’t know where it is in Pu Ti Temple, but it is definitely there. Royal-Mother hid it there. If we can get the imperial edict then it will make it much easier for all the civilians and other officials to offer their support to Royal brother Ying.”

Haocun thought about it and uttered, “Then I will go and get it.”
    Last edited by patricia n; 10-29-11 at 01:07 AM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Somewhere outside Luoyang

The woman was riding through the heavily forested road when she noticed her pursuers catching up on her once more.

She smiled; after keeping a distance for three days, their courage had returned and they resumed stalking her openly. They still think she was alone. What poor judgment, and most certainly had a poor sense of danger.

These pursuers were brave souls who defected from their sects and schools infiltrated, invaded and occupied by Jiancheng, although she wasn’t sure if these men were from Liang Province or Yong Province. The martial schools in Liang Province had completely fallen to Jiancheng in the past few months and as far as she was concerned, more than half of Yong Province’s martial schools had surrendered as well.

With her work in Yong Province more than half done, she decided to leave the remaining job to her subordinates. Under the pretext of gathering intelligence, she went ahead to Yuzhou.

She eyed her pursuers and her left hand made a waving motion. Shadows leapt out from the foliage and attacked the surprised pursuers.

The woman pulled her horse to a stop in the midst of clashing metals, ripping flesh and screams. It was over by the time she jumped off her horse.

“Left Emissary.” Three cloaked figures bowed to the woman.

This woman was none other than Xingye, Jiancheng’s Left Emissary and second in authority after Lord Jueqing.

Xingye stared at the dead bodies lying on the ground. One of the dead had been so surprised by the attack and its brutality that his eyes were wide opened, unable to rest in peace. She knelt on one knee and closed his eyes.

Had they been more well informed and wiser, they should realise she wouldn’t be here alone, and that she wouldn’t be here alone without a specific plan.

The first cloaked figure spoke, “… Our most honourable Left Emissary, what now?”

“… Tianye, return to your position in Liang Province. The martial realm there has just been conquered and needs more leadership to exert Jiancheng rule. Fengming, Longxi, the two of you should return to Yong Province and secure our new stronghold there. From there you should start to arrange for the arrival of more of our men to prepare to complete the annexing of Yong Province’s martial realm as well. Once it is done, send a message to me and prepare the foreground work for the annexing of Yu Province.”

“Yes. Your command is our wish.” The figures said, two shadows fleeting away.

“… Fengming. You are still here?” Xingye knew each and every of her subordinate enough to be able to tell who’s who without looking at their faces or hearing their voices.

“… Fengming wish to continue following the Left Emissary.”

“Oh?”

“The Left Emissary is the Lord’s left hand. Who knows how much more treachery as such awaits you? Fengming wish to stay by the Left Emissary’s side to protect you.”

Xingye nodded.

“All right. Follow me then. But you shall do so as normal follower, for I’ve grown tired of such hide-and-seek games.”

“Yes.”

Fengming cast off her dark cloak and walked out from the cover of the trees, revealing a good-looking and shapely woman in her late twenties.

“Fengming at your service.”

“Good. Let us go then.”
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 10-29-11 at 12:15 PM.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

This post connects the storyline between Posts #112 and #118

Shi Dabian's defection was good news for Prince Ying indeed. The guards led the tied-up Prince Ren to the makeshift cell as Prince Ying had decided to postpone deciding his brother's fate until he had taken over the whole of Donghai.

There was news that General Wen's seige of the Ban Pass was about to be victorious as the surrender of the surrounding Donghai territories had weakened the city defenders' resolve to continue fighting.

Still, stress plagued Prince Ying. He sighed at the setting sun as he missed Zhou He, but more importantly, he was planning something grand, something so bold and outrageous it might just win the day, but alas, he had neither the battle equipment nor the battle experience, and he was fully aware of the disastrous consequences if he should fail, which he had to admit was likely.

Just then, there was another piece of good news. Gao Xingling (Yue Jiayan) had just arrived from across the frontier to deliver the war horses. He greeted her with joy mixed with awkwardness and invited her to join the banquet that evening celebrating their latest success.

Throughout the banquet Prince Ying and Gao Xingling hardly exchanged a word as they sat at different tables, but Prince Ying stole several glances in her direction, trying to balance between discreetness and frequency. He observed that while she was gentle and polite even to the servants, she had an air of calmness and dignity around her.

After the banquet and Prince Ying had exchanged all the pleasantries with his guests, especially the Pan and Donghai generals in case they started quarrelling again, he decided to look for Gao Xingling, although he didn't really know what he should talk about.

He subconsciously wandered around the camp and found Gao Xingling leaning against a tree, watching the horses graze. He hesitantly walked up to her.

"Am I intruding?" Prince Ying asked.

Gao Xingling smiled, "No. How can I help you?"

Prince Ying said, "Erm, I was wondering about... oh, horses. Right. I wanted to ask you a few questions."

Gao Xingling looked at him expectantly.

He cleared his throad and continued, "Uhm, well you see previously when we were in Luoyang, you were so knowedgable about horses, and, oh I'm just rambling on and on... Alright, suppose I want to make a long-range trip within the shortest time possible..."

She interjected, "You want to mount a sneak attack on Jianye from here?"

Prince Ying was utterly taken aback. "What?? How? You... How did you know? I told absolutely no one!"

Gao Xingling gave a soft chuckle, "I guessed it. Given the situation, that would be the best bet for avoiding massive bloodshed in your country, and also your best chances in securing a swift victory. But the thing is..."

By this time he was getting impressed with her deduction and was eagerly waiting for her advice.

She paused before continuing, "You need to assemble a crack force with 2 battle horses for each calvary trooper, so that you can swap horses midway when the horses get tired. Carry only the most essential weapons; you won't need any supplies, or I daresay, even armour. Travel at night to avoid detection, obviously, and if you travel without rest you can reach within 6 hours (3 'shi cheng').

"Also, you need a cohesive force to avoid getting bogged down in coordinating individual troop movement. It would be best if the troops and the horses can get some time to familarize themselves with each other and train together to achieve maximum effectiveness, but if you cannot afford the time, that wouldn't be a major problem since you won't be fighting on horseback when you reach anyway. And of course, the Gao family horses are very well-trained - they wouldn't give new riders any trouble."

Prince Ying nodded thoughtfully, muttering, "Indeed. I have to say, it's worth the risk. Alright, I shall gamble this once. If Heaven decrees that the mandate does not lie with me, then I shall accept death as the resolution to this whole matter."

He then turned to Gao Xingling and said, "I must really thank you for your advice. You have really opened my eyes today. If I shall succeed in in my quest for a fair and united rule of Donghai, I will definitely repay your kindness of this day."

Gao Xingling softly grasped his cupped hands and lowered them, her beautiful smile shone with radiance under the bright moonlight.
    Last edited by IcyFox; 10-29-11 at 06:04 PM.

Xingye sat on the ground, unmoving. She was in the middle of a small forest located some miles away from Luoyang, and right next to her was a creek with a small waterfall.

The area was quiet and pristine, the only sounds coming from the birds, insects, and the creek.

Just the sort of environment she thought he’d like.

She turned and looked at the unmarked tombstone next to her, lying just beside the creek. She touched the cold tombstone. She had not visited for so long, but surely he’d understand. Maybe not. Maybe he didn’t even want her to visit.

“Left Emissary. I have got what you want.”

“Good. Put it down here.”

Fengming placed a jug of wine onto the ground.

“Leave me be now. I will go to you once my business is done.”

“Yes.” Fengming obeyed and walks away. She wondered whose tombstone that belonged to. She never heard of Xingye having any friends beyond the Shuzhong region.

As soon as Xingye was sure Fengming was out of earshot, she moved to remove the wine jug’s cover.

“This is your favourite wine… though the quality might fail since it’s not produced by authentic Donghai masters. I hope you don’t mind.” Xingye said quietly as she poured out the wine, watching it seep into the ground.

He has been dead for 7 years, but it felt like forever. Somehow, human beings only learnt to cherish what they had lost, but never before they lose it.

Xingye stood up. She looked at the tombstone and touched it again.

“… I will try to visit again.”

She took in a deep breath but did not sigh. She turned and leaves without looking back.

Continued from post 122

Tang Baozhi and his wife lived in a rather small home with one bedroom, one common area, and a tiny kitchen. While Sima Cuifen and Wu Haocun had their discussion, Tang Baozhi used this opportunity to share the disturbing thoughts that replayed themselves in his mind. As the day was incredibly hot, Huo Yuan also stayed in the common area with them where as Chen Biyu left without excusing herself.

Tang Baozhi preferred to privately speak with his sister; however, his home had no other place to shelter them besides for the common room as the bedroom was occupied. He let out a sigh as he could not bring himself to start the conversation.

Seeing her brother in such distress, Xiangfeng asked, “Big brother, what is on your mind?”

Baozhi patted Feng’s small hand and apologized, “Xiangfeng,…I…I am so sorry…”

Xiangfeng knitted her eyebrows in confusion, “About what?” She smiled, “Why are you apologizing when we should be rejoicing in our family’s safety?”

“I…,” Baozhi sighed heavily again, “When we were young, that fortune teller predicted that I would marry into royalty, and I never believed him. That’s why I never shared the predictions he made regarding my future with you. When I married Cuifen, I was quite glad because not only did I marry such a wonderful woman, I was completely certain that the fortune teller was wrong about everything. I thought Cuifen was a mere commoner, so obviously, I was convinced that the fortune teller was incorrect. He was wrong about who I would marry; more importantly, he was wrong about your future. However, the day I learned about Cuifen’s true status, instead of being happy for our family, I was terrified for your future. If I had known how accurate the fortune teller’s predictions would be, I would have worked harder to provide you with a better life.”

Hearing the guilt and sadness in her brother’s voice, Xiangfeng couldn’t help but become a bit teary, “Big brother, please don’t say such words. You and big sister in law have always treated me well. If it weren’t for you two, I wouldn’t know what would have happened to me. You two have always taken care of me and even helped useless me find a job. Please don’t apologize for my curse.” She looked down as she folded her hands and placed them on her lap, “I’ve learned to accept my fate. Since father and mother’s deaths, I’ve gradually learned to accept everything the fortune teller had predicted.”

Their conversation aroused Huo Yuan’s curiosity. They spoke with such earnestness and with such sorrow. He recognized that the prediction must have been terrible, but seeing their despair and how serious the situation was, he kept silent. He walked over and stayed nearby the main entrance to give them more privacy; however, that made no difference and he could still hear everything. But he still could not determine what this curse Xiangfeng was talking about.

Xiangfeng looked at her brother and managed a small smile, “Big brother, I haven’t congratulated you. You are now a princess consort.”

Right at that moment, Wu Haocun and Cuifen entered the common room and saw Baozhi blush as he replied, “Don’t say such things.”

Wu Haocun surveyed the room briefly, and his heart sank when noticed that a particular beauty was missing. However, approaching footsteps alerted his attention. Footsteps so light and dainty yet so hurried. A pair of white shoes set forth into the room, and a small framed beauty in blue silk robe looked at the group that she left merely half an hour ago. The sight of this lady lit up Wu Haocun’s eyes.

Chen Biyu matter of factly announced, “A villager just returned from Luoyang and passed on the news that Prince Ying has taken over Jianye.”

She was about to leave again when Sima Cuifen requested, “Please don’t go. Wait until the afternoon when it gets cooler before you return to Luoyang.”

“I can manage.”

Wu Haocun suggested, “Since you returned to share this news, you obviously still care about Donghai. If you want to help, do not let me be the reason for avoiding to do so.”

Chen Biyu shot back at him, “Don’t think so highly of yourself. Even you cannot stop me from serving my country.” She walked into the room and sat down at the table while avoiding his gaze.

Wu Haocun suppressed his smile. “She has not changed that much,” he thought to himself.

Huo Yuan became more alert. He pondered, “These people are here to fight for Donghai. I should not be helping them or else Xiang will be at a disadvantage…unless…” Huo Yuan also sat down and placed his spear on the table. He looked around him before mentioning, “I will also volunteer my service to help you unify Donghai on one condition.”

Wu Haocun looked at Sima Cuifen, who said, “Speak your request.”

“Princess Cuifen, if you allow me to be so bold. In return for my service, once your country is unified, I hope that you will not try to overtake Xiang. Instead, you will consider Xiang as an ally and promise to help us should Xiwu and Pan try to takeover our land. Not only will I offer my service to fight your cause, I will do my best to convince Xiang to recognize Donghai as an ally. We will forgive and forget our past grudges against each other in an effort to rebuild and maintain our individual kingdoms.”

Sima Cuifen thought this through. “Having you as an ally will only be to my advantage. I have no interest in wars or expanding Donghai. I give you my word, if you can help us, I will do my best to have Prince Ying recognize Xiang as an ally.” She then turned to Wu Haocun, “Once you retrieve what we need, please go to Jianye and look for me. Your task would be much easier if you have a female with you as the temple only welcomes women. However, I need to go to Jianye. Now that Prince Ying has taken over, I can finally return home and help him. My other brothers are deceptive and they have officials who are equally deceptive. At least if I am by his side, I can warn him who to be careful of.” Sima Cuifen clearly remembered the noblemen who tried to harm her and her mother, the same men who would stop at nothing destroy Prince Ying’s reputation and his chances of being king. However, if they had the imperial edict, Prince Ying’s victory would be guaranteed.

Wu Haocun looked at Chen Biyu, “Biyu, the princess will need a bodyguard, and I already have a mission to complete.”

“Say no more,” Biyu looked at Cuifen, “I will go with you.”

Tang Baozhi looked at Cuifen, “I know my martial arts is limited, but I will also go with you.” Sima Cuifen nodded happily in response.

Although Tang Xiangfeng by birth was a descendent of the kingdom of Jin, she had lived for the most part in Pan and had no loyalty to either kingdom. She valued family more than politics, and seeing that her sister in law is a Donghai Princess and so loyal to Donghai, Xiangfeng had decided to help her sister regain her status in Donghai. Xiangfeng looked at Haocun and stated, “Since you need a woman to enter this temple, let me follow you.”

Wu Haocun turned to Huo Yuan and said, “Why don’t you come with me too?” Seeing how brave and patriotic Huo Yuan was, Wu Haocun admired this young lad even more so and felt a strong affinity towards him. Perhaps it was time for him to finally gain a disciple.
    Last edited by patricia n; 10-30-11 at 03:55 AM.

Huo Yuan was only too glad to be offered the chance to help. Grasping his fists together, he bowed.

“Huo Yuan offers his services.” He said.

Not that he had anything else to do after the Xiang court practically blacklisted him.

Lan Manor
    continued from post #114

It was early morning when the appearance of a man lifted up the spirits of the men in Lan Manor.

“Master! Master is back!” The servants ran into the hall announcing the news.

Miao Guilan broke into a grin as she jumped up from the dining table. She looked at Jueqing, who was sharing the table and the breakfast, and said smugly, “Hah. My husband is back. You can pack up and get ready to scram, brat.”

She turned to her two sons. “Qiwen, Qicheng! Go receive your father!”

Jueqing smiles as he stood up and followed Miao Guilan and the Lan brothers out into the courtyard.

Lan Tianying rushed to his wife and two sons the moment he saw them. “Guilan! My sons! Are you all right?” He asked anxiously.

“We are all right!” Miao Guilan replied spiritedly. “Great that you are back. Now teach this Jiancheng brat a lesson!” She pointed angrily at Jueqing who was standing just behind her.

Yushen who arrived at Lan Manor at the same time with Lan Tianying hurried forward. “My Lord.”

Lan Qicheng looked curiously at Yushen before turning to Jueqing. “Lord Jueqing, is she one of your lovers?”

“Qicheng!” Miao Guilan barked at her son. Yushen’s face flushed red.

“Not yet, Qicheng. Not yet.” Jueqing laughed. Yushen’s face turned redder at that.

// What… what does he mean by ‘not yet’? //

Lan Tianying looked at the strapping man. What an odd sight he is! Definitely not an ordinary man!

“You are Lord Jueqing of Jiancheng?” He asked.

“Yes, Master Lan.” Jueqing replied respectfully.

“I’m here now. I will honour your request of a duel.”

“I’m glad to hear that, Master Lan. My wait has not been in vain.” Jueqing was pleased. “If Master Lan does not mind, shall we have our duel at the pavilion in your beautiful garden?”

Lan Tianying raised a brow. Certainly the pavilion was no place for a duel! Only the courtyard and garden provided the sufficient space for a duel.

“Well?” Jueqing asked with a friendly smile on his face.

// I will see what he’s up to. // Lan Tianying thought. “All right.”

“I’m honoured. Please, Master Lan, do lead the way.” Jueqing stepped aside.

Lan Tianying nodded as he walked past Jueqing and led the way to the garden, with his family following behind.

As Jueqing and Yushen followed right behind, the confused sword carrier whispered, “My lord? Aren’t you going to challenge his swordsmanship?”

“No, little one. While it is true that the Lan family’s swordsmanship is famous, but what’s truly outstanding is their internal energy skill. It is so deep and profound that even mastering 50% of it could make the practitioner a top fighter. This Lan Tianying, if he is half as good as what the rumours state, I do not doubt that he has mastered more than 50%.”

Yushen looked at her master in wonder and awe. “How did you know so much, my Lord?”

“His youngest son has taken a shine to me, if you hadn’t noticed.”

Yushen blushed again, as she remembered the exchange between Lan Qicheng and Jueqing.

“His internal energy… and that of his brother’s, are amazingly deep for people of their ages. Yet having a great pool of power is different from having the capability to fully wield them. But give them another couple of years and no doubt they would become great too.” Jueqing said.

“But they aren’t a match for you at all, my lord. You achieved so much more when you were their age.” Yushen frowned.

Jueqing smiles affectionately at Yushen. “Of course not. But they are not my target. Not yet.”

With directions from Chen Biyu and what little provisions the Tang couple could provide, Wu Haocun, Huo Yuan and Tang Xiangfeng soon set off for Pu-Ti Temple.

According to Chen Biyu, the temple laid just southwest of Luoyang, but was located on a hill deep in the woods. There was no obvious road to travel on, but there was a stream flowing through the hill.

“So we just need to follow this stream to get to the temple.” Huo Yuan remarked as the three trekked up the steep hill beside the stream.

This was a quiet place with a tranquil environment he could see why a temple would be built here. At the same time, making the trip there isn’t easy, which means visitors and devotees would be far and few. How did the temple and its people survive out here?

As if to answer Huo Yuan’s question, the moment the group reached the hilltop, countless patches of cultivated vegetation laid in front of them. And to the far front was a small temple building, so small that it couldn’t be visible at all unless someone makes his way up to the hilltop, no easy feat considering that even a trained soldier like Huo Yuan was panting. Xiangfeng didn’t look better and Wu Haocun was the only one who looked like the climb was nothing but a simple walk. Seeing Wu Haocun like this only made Huo Yuan admire him even more.

“We are finally here.” Huo Yuan looked at Wu Haocun. “But… do you think the edict was simply hidden here, or was it given to the nuns for safekeeping? Why would the Queen of Donghai trust Pu Ti Temple for something like this?”

Before Wu Haocun could answer, the doors of the temple opened and two women stepped out from it.

Huo Yuan could not see them very well due to the distance but they didn’t look like nuns. One of the women stopped for a while and remained still, and the other woman followed suit. After a while, the woman who had stopped started walking forward with a steady but apparent quicker pace.

// What? Did she know any of us? Is she… friend or foe? // Huo Yuan was worried about what he perceived as a potential danger, and his muscles tensed for a possible fight.

As the woman came closer, Huo Yuan held his breath and wondered about his earlier judgment. The woman, who despite appeared to be in her early thirties, was exceedingly beautiful and had a kind face with an innocence that belies her age. Dressed in a pure white dress, it was quite impossible to think she could be a foe, and Huo Yuan’s muscles relaxed unknowingly.

// Ah! What a woman! I most certainly did not think I would meet another great beauty after Miss Chen Biyu! //

The other woman following right behind the kind-looking woman was another different thing though. They were only a few steps apart, but the atmosphere and feeling they exuded was entirely different. This second woman was good-looking as well, but had such cold and cruel eyes and a dangerous aura that was a complete misfit with her elegant companion. As if to make a further physical statement, this second woman was dressed in dark purple opposed to the kind-looking woman’s white.

Huo Yuan could not help but wonder about their relation. They didn’t even look remotely similar so they can’t be relatives…?

When the kind-looking woman was about three arms’ length away, she smiled at the group, but Huo Yuan noticed her eyes were on Wu Haocun.

“Isn’t this Brother Wu?” She called out.

Huo Yuan looked at Wu Haocun in surprise, but smiled to himself in amusement.

// Oh ho! So it’s another of Master Wu’s lady friends. My… he doesn’t just make ordinary lady friends, does he? // He thought.

“Brother Wu, it is I, Xingye. You… still remember me, right?” She asked, her face flushing in happiness even if she sounded a little hesitant. That can’t be helped, as they had not kept in touch at all for the past 20 odd years after she left the Fabulous Four.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 11-05-11 at 11:33 AM.

Xiwu Army - Mobile HQ

The highly-mobile Xiwu divisions marched out from Jingzhou, briefly trespassed the Kingdom of Nanxi to cut across Changsha, then rapidly descended on the State of Sang. They split into 2 columns and moved day and night, sleeping on horseback even as they marched, reaching the capital of Sang, Guiyang, within 2 days.

At the same time, the Xiwu siege divisions poured into Sang from Ningzhou, sweeping across the Sang countryside and effectively splitting the state into 3, cutting off not only the capital from all reinforcements, but also cutting off all the Sang brigades from each other.

No formal declaration of war was made. But none was necessary; this was not war, this was a more powerful state wiping a lesser state off the map...

Meanwhile, Xiwu received the news that Prince Ying had captured the throne of Donghai in a coup, so a message was hurriedly dispatched to Brigadier Mu Tou, who was sent to Parley with the Chibi garrison.

He opened the message and read, "Your mission has changed. You are now to proceed instead to Jianye and propose an alliance between Xiwu and Donghai. Trade for your supplies at Chibi. Whatever happens, DO NOT attack them. If they turn aggressive, withdraw back to Jingzhou immediately, and our armies shall attack in full force."

The brigadier stroke his chin thoughtfully as he burnt the message.

Pan Southern Expeditionary Force

Upon hearing the news from Jianye, General Huang Shi who commanded the Shouchun immediately collected all the Donghai units he could muster in the area and organized the defence at Shouchun, then set off for Jianye with his veteran troops, not only to take part in the victory celebrations but more importantly to cement Prince Ying's position on the throne.

The 2 Pan generals and General Huang met before he left, and the Pan generals assured him that since the war in Donghai was essentially over, Pan had no business meddling in their internal affairs, and that after resting their troops for the night, they would leave Donghai.

Thus the Pan and Donghai generals went their separate ways, but instead of returning to Luoyang, General Wen and General Lu marched towards the State of Feng...

Continued from post 120

It had been a few days since Xue Qian had departed from the group. Since he had already heard of the news of western Donghai falling to Xiwu forces, he decided the safest route to Xiwu strongholds would be through the Donghai territories of Lujiang, Runan, and Wancheng. He was lucky enough to leave Lujian, just in time before General Shi Dabian decided to mutiny against Sima Ren and surrender to Prince Ying and the Pan forces. His spent a longer time travelling through Runan’s territory since he had to cross through the Dabie Mountains.

Xue Qian pulled the reigns to halt his horse in front of the closed gates of Wancheng. Because the city has only been taken over earlier in the day, the security at the gates were still extremely tight and travellers were not allowed to enter the city without permission from the Xiwu authorities. While peasants and travellers were busy trying to escape the chaos that dwelled inside Wancheng, Xue Qian was the only one to travel towards the city. Hence, on this dim evening, he was the lone person waiting in front Wancheng’s gates.

“Who stands at the gate below? Name yourself!” The guard standing in the gatehouse shouted from above.

“It is Xue Qian of Xiwu, Count of Ruixi,” Xue Qian replied. “I request entry into Wancheng!”

“Ha ha ha! Count of Ruixi?” The gatehouse guard standing above laughed loudly. “Donghai will have to send a smarter spy than that if they to want to sneak into Wancheng.”

“How dare you laugh at me!” Xue Qian bellowed furiously. “I will have your head if you dare insult me again and accuse me of being a Donghai spy!”

The guard laughed even harder at Xue Qian’s response. “Are you claiming to be a ghost? Then you shouldn’t need me to open the gate for you. You should be able to walk right through! Haha haha!”

“What is this nonsense? Do you sh*t through your mouth? Has Xiwu lost too many soldiers that they have to use lunatics to guard their gates?”

“You are the lunatic! Count Xue Qian was murdered in Luoyang! Perhaps you should update yourself on current events before you go around impersonating someone. ”

//Murdered? Weeks ago?// Xue Qian was too stunned by the news of his own death that he was at a loss for words.

“Ha! Now you have no words to say, eh?” The guard mistook Xue Qian’s silence as admitting to the crime. “Now scoot before I send guards to come down and arrest you!”

“You…you…!” The veins around Xue Qian’s temples and neck bulged against his bright red face. “Tell Marshall Zhao Yu to come see me! He should be able to recognize who I am!”

“Marshall Zhao doesn’t have time to waste—!“ Before the guard to finish his sentence, Xue Qian threw a small pouch upwards from below the gates. The pouch came flying towards the guard's face. He quickly caught the pouch and opened it to reveal its content—a palm sized bronze token carved with Xiwu’s Imperial Military Seal. Such a print, combined with the shape, size, and material, made it extremely difficult to counterfeit the token. These tokens were only reserved for use by Xiwu's top officials. There is no mistake that this one lying in his hand certainly had the feel of an authentic token.

The guard’s eyes widened as his brows furrowed in confusion. //That’s impossible. How can he have such a token? Unless….// Suddenly, he felt a chill down his spine as the bronze token almost slipped out of his sweaty hands.

It was as if Xue Qian could see the confused face of the guard. A smirk crossed his lips and he shouted in a proud voice, “Do you not recognize the token? What are you still standing there for? Get the Marshall for me!”

“There’s no need to disturb the Marshall,” a deep voice came from behind the guard, loud enough that Xue Qian was able to hear every sound clearly from below. This time, it was Xue Qian’s turn for chills down his spine and the horse reigns almost slipping from his sweaty palms. He recognized the voice very well, as he had heard the same voice in a dark alley on a fearful night some weeks ago.

The gatehouse guard turned around and also recognized the owner of the voice. It belonged to none other than Envoy Zhang Dou Qian’s personal bodyguard. He had lost Xue Qian and Huo Yuan’s tracks after the two escaped from Luoyang, but he calculated that Xue Qian would most likely head back to Xiwu. He knew Xue Qian dared not to linger in Pan territory, hence would likely be travelling west through Donghai. In order to reach Xiwu, one must travel through Xinye, Wancheng, and Runan. Hence, the bodyguard joined under the Xiwu Army seiging these Donghai cities and waited patiently for Xue Qian to show up. And now, his prey had finally arrived.

“Don’t be tricked,” Zhang Duo Qian’s bodyguard warned. “He could have easily stolen the token. It was reported that some of Count Xue Qian’s belongings may have been missing when they found his body.”

“But…” the gatehouse guard hesitated. “But what if the reports are mistaken?”

“Fools! I was there when they found the body! And as Envoy Zhang Duo Qian’s bodyguard, don’t you think I’ve met the Count and know how he looks like? This one is clearly an imposter!”

“Yes sir. My mistake for not thinking clearly,” the gatehouse guard bowed in embarassment.

Suddenly, the sound of hooves galloping away came from below. “He’s running away!”

Before the gatehouse guard could shout for more help, Zhang Duo Qian’s bodyguard quickly grabbed a bow from a nearby guard. He immediately threaded an arrow, pulled the bowstring, aimed at Xue Qian’s neck, and released…
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 11-10-11 at 04:46 AM.

The arrow was inches away from Xue Qian’s neck when suddenly, a shadow fleeted by and a bamboo flute intercepted the assault, knocking the arrow off-course.

The shadow then leapt onto the horse, right behind Xue Qian, grabbed at the reins and rode into the night.

“What?!” The bodyguard was peeved. Not again! Though he knew it would be really difficult to catch up, he had to do so because Xue Qian might not reappear and his mission would be a fail once more.

“Get me a horse! Quick!” He screamed at the guards who immediately scrambled to get a horse.

“Wah!!” Xue Qian screamed when he felt someone landing onto his horse right behind him. Before he knew what was happening, a pair of hands had taken away the reins from him and controlled the horse.

“Silence! If you want to live!” A woman’s voice whispered fiercely into his ear. A cold blade quietly crept onto his neck.

“Now, tell me. Are you really Xue Qian, the Count of Ruixi? Tell me truthfully. If I sense the slightest bit of dishonesty, I will cut off your head.”

Xue Qian was unsure of who posed more threat to this life at the moment: Zhang Duo Qian’s bodyguard or the women behind him. One the one hand, the bodyguard’s intentions are clear, but he is still far behind them. On the other hand, while the woman behind him had just saved his life, she now holds a cold blade right up his neck.

“I…I…I…” Xue Qian began, but every time he made a sound, he could feel his Adam’s apple brush against the cold blade. “Heroine, could…could you please lower the blade just a bit?”

“Stop muttering useless things! Answer the question!”

//What did I do to upset the Heavens such and deserve such fate?!// Xue Qian had no idea whether she was friend or foe. Would she side with a real Xue Qian or a possible Donghai spy? Well, at least she doesn’t seem to side with Zhang Duo Qian, which is at least somewhat reassuring.

“For every minute you delay your answer, I will cut off your ears, then dig out your eyes, and slit your tongue. Hurry up and answer.” The woman was certainly not becoming any friendlier, or more respectful for that matter.

Upon hearing her insulting threats, a sudden surge of pride rose through Xue Qian’s chest. As the saying goes, a gentleman can be killed, but not humiliated. Why should he be ashamed of who he is and lie about his identity. What is the point of living, if he cannot live as himself?

Xue Qian took a deep breath and replied assertively, “Yes, I am Xue Qian, Count of Ruixi! Do what you want. I can only blame my own bad fate for landing in your hands.”

There was a moment of silence before the blade was removed from Xue Qian’s neck.

“Well, finally found some balls, did you?” The woman laughed. “Sit tight!” She warned. Her arms tightened around Xue Qian’s waist as she leaned in, her chest pressing against his back. Then suddenly, she kicked hard at the horse’s abdomen and it sped down the road faster than ever.

“Good news for you is, your father sent out a notice for you ever since you went missing, so I’m here to pick you up. Bad news is, you are now considered a dead man, and Xiwu officials will be in alert to make you dead if you show up alive and you might implicate your father if you return to Xiwu.

Since your father is so generous with his money when it comes to his son, and I have not received any notices in a change of mission, you will be under my protection for the time being.”

A pause, before she added, “… My name is Wuxin, from Jiancheng. Pleasure to meet you, Count Xue.”

continued from post #127
    Nobody could have expected to see what they did – instead of a fierce duel that involved weapons and fists, Lan Tianying and Jueqing were sitting at the pavilion table, playing chess most quietly.

Although the two men were playing chess, there was an intense atmosphere surrounding them that captivates yet terrifies the audience. Even Miao Guilan, with her usual fiery and bold temper, did not dare take a single step forward.

But it was also because she knew she could not approach the two men; it could distract her husband. She was a well-trained pugilist after all, and could very well tell that the chess session was not a mere mental challenge, but also the platform of a duel of internal energy.

As the duel dragged onto the second hour, Miao Guilan quietly dispensed of the maids and servants, leaving only her, Lan Qiwen, Lan Qicheng and Yushen the only witnesses.

The duel continued for hours, with no one daring to breathe too loudly in fear of disturbing the process. It was difficult to tell who had the upperhand, as Lan Tianying and Jueqing were entirely focused and betrayed no emotions.

This was also the first time Miao Guilan realised, and recognised the top pugilist Jueqing really was. Even though she was defeated, she held no special regard for Jueqing as he was young and sees him as nothing more than an upstart; there were simply too many of such people in the world. But to properly challenge and hold off her husband for hours… she is secretly impressed but believes Lan Tianying will still come out triumphant. There was no way her husband could lose.

The moment she thought that in pride, she thought she saw her husband’s body shudder. She leaned forward to take a closer look; she held a hand to her mouth when she saw Lan Tianying’s face turn pale.

Then quite suddenly, he held his hand to the chest and coughed violently, blood splattering onto the chessboard.

The thick and uncomfortable atmosphere dissipated immediately and it pushed everyone to action.

“Father!” Lan Qiwen shouted as he rushed over to his father with his mother and brother.

Yushen’s face flushed with pride as she hurried over to Jueqing. “Congratulations, my Lord! You have triumphed over Lan Tianying!”

Jueqing smiled and Yushen noted a rare light in his eyes, realizing that he was genuinely happy at this moment.

“Lord Jueqing…”

Jueqing and Yushen turned to Lan Tianying, who was speaking despite his internal injury, standing up with his sons’ and wife’s assistance.

His face was pale with the injury, but he had not lost a shred of dignity and pride from the loss, as he stared into Jueqing’s eyes.

“You have won. Now Lan Manor is at your mercy. State your business.” Lan Tianying said.

Jueqing nodded. “I did win, Master Lan, but Lan Manor is neither at my mercy nor do I have any business here. My only business here… was you. Now I have accomplished what I came here for, I will leave you and your family in peace.”

Lan Tianying stared at Jueqing in disbelieving silence.

“Master Lan, you did live up to your reputation. I am grateful for this excellent duel. Jueqing shall take my leave.” Jueqing turned and walked away, followed by Yushen.

“Huh. So he really came here only for a duel?” Miao Guilan muttered.

Lan Tianying looked at the disappearing figures of Jueqing and Yushen.

// Jueqing of Jiancheng… Hopefully his appearance in Central Plains doesn’t signal any misfortune… //

Sang Capital - Guiyang

The Xiwu army had again surrounded their victim's city, and the city's defenders were clearly heavily outnumbered by the attacking forces, so the overlord of Sang, Duke Li, could only hope for relief troops from the neighbouring cities to arrive and reinforce him.

However, there was not the slightest news from them even after two days, leaving the defenders wondering if they too had fallen under siege, which was actually not very far from the truth.

The Xiwu army, strangely enough, did not hasten into pounding on the city in full force the moment they arrived like what they did previously in Donghai. Instead, they made camp and did not stir for 2 days.

Duke Li and his counsellors spent two restless days guessing their motives and any possible means to counter them, but could not see any viable solution, and yet they could not help dreading the nightmare which was just outside the city gates; perhaps the fear and suspense was worse than the attack itself.

But on the 3rd day, the bad news dawned on them. The Xiwu army had completely cut off their water supply, and was driving them into dying from dehydration in the hot and humid weather of the south. They had only enough water in the city to last 2 weeks, and without water they couldn't cook either.

At the end of the week, Duke Li and his military officials could bear it no longer and and they appointed General Wu as the commander of the city's army, who volunteered to rush out in an attempt to break the encirclement.

The defenders donned their best armour and dashed out of the city the moment the gates were opened, and headed straight for the point of the Xiwu camp where they felt was the weakest. However, it did not seem to bother the Xiwu troops much as they simply fired swarms of arrows at the Sang troops.

These were the same seige arrows used in Donghai, and can even pierce through a city's brick walls, how could the soldiers withstand them? The Sang troops had hardly reached the Xiwu camp before they were massacred, and only a handful of horsemen at the rear managed to evade the arrows and they retreated hastily into the city, with their general among their fallen ranks.

Soon the wells dried up, and the inhabitants of the city were on the verge of complete dispair. Duke Li, seeing that his people had neither the means nor the will to put up any further resistance, sighed and sent a messenger to negotiate with the invaders.

The Xiwu Marshal Zhao Yu gallantly offered amnesty to all the city's inhabitants if Duke Li would surrender the State of Sang to Xiwu, whence the Duke might retain his title and be given land and gold.

Thus Duke Li duly bowed to Zhao Yu and handed over his seal, the region of Sang was hence absorbed by Xiwu. Shortly after hearing the news of Sang's surrender and the invasion of Donghai, the small vassal state of Liao offered submission to be spared the same disaster that had befallen its neighbours.

Continue from post 128

Wu Haocun shook himself slightly. It had been over twenty years since he last saw Xingye. She had departed so abruptly and permanently too. In her haste, she merely explained that family affairs required her immediate return home. Although time had passed, her beauty was untouched by it. Strangely, even though Wu Haocun recognized that Xingye was a great beauty of her time, he was never affected by it. During his youth, he was so determine to create a name for himself in the martial arts realm that he had no room for romance. When he met Xingye, her outstanding beauty aroused many men’s interest, including Gu Yunfeng, who was Wu Haocun’s best friend at the time. By the time the Fabulous Four’s name spread throughout the martial realm, Wu Haocun had already viewed Xingye as a sister just like Lan Mengying.

So naturally, when he saw Xingye again after so many years, he was shocked and then happy. He ran towards her, placed both his hands around her upper arms, and exclaimed, “Xingye, of course I remember you. Good, good!” He nodded happily, “Even after so many years, we have this opportunity to see each other again.” He laughed happily.

Tang Xiangfeng looked at him. She had never heard him laugh so heartily and appear so relaxed and happy. For as long as she had known him, he had been stressed during the time that he was searching for Sima Cuifen and helping them leave Luoyang. And he appeared most disappointed and sadden during his encounters with Chen Biyu. She also wondered what his relationship was with this woman.

Wu Haocun asked Xingye, “Where have you been all these years?”

Xingye demurely cast her eyes down and pleaded, “Brother Wu, please respect the privacy of my family affairs and do not ask me about it. Just know that I am well.” Wu Haocun nodded in agreement. Xingye had always been a private person, which explained why among the members of the Fabulous Four, she was the least close to him. Xingye glanced behind him and looked at the members of his party. She quickly brought her attention back to him, “Rumors have it that you got married? Is your bride here?”

The smile on Haocun’s face disappeared, “How did you know about it? I tried to send you an invitation, but I could not find you.”

Xingye saw the sadness in Haocun’s eyes and recognized that something was wrong. “Awhile back, I encountered Brother Gu. He told me about the wedding and asked me to attend, but I was too tied up with my family affairs to make it to the wedding. Where is your bride?”

Haocun’s eyes darkened at the mention of Gu Yunfeng and he briefly said, “It’s one of the biggest regrets of my life. Because of my selfishness, I did not get married.”

Huo Yuan and Tang Xiangfeng listened in on the conversation with interest. Wu Haocun had been so focused on his goals and so secretive about his past that they did not know much about him.

Xingye was a very intelligent woman. She saw how his mood changed and immediately moved on to a different topic, “Brother Wu, who are these friends who are journeying with you? Where are you headed to?”

Both parties introduced each other and Wu Haocun continued, “We hope to rest here at Puti Temple before heading to the capital in Donghai.”

“That is quite a distance. For what reason are you going there?”

“Xingye, you have your secrets and I have mine. Please do not ask any more about this.” Wu Haocun did not wish for too many people to know about his task, especially since he was unfamiliar with Xingye’s companion.

Xingye smiled brightly, “Brother Wu, by chance we happen to come across each other again after so many years. This time, I must compensate for my abrupt departure from the Fabulous Four. Do you mind if my companion and I journey with you? We’ve already overstayed our welcome here.” Her request was so earnest that he did not have the heart to say no. “Furthermore, perhaps Miss Tang will feel comfortable having more female companions on this long journey.”

Wu Haocun nodded. Perhaps it would be good for Tang Xiangfeng. Furthermore, Xingye’s martial arts was very good, and she would better protect Tang Xiangfeng along the way too. However, he felt a lump in his throat. Sooner or later, he would have to explain his rivalry against Gu Yunfeng to Xingye. He would rather her stay ignorant of this knowledge and allow her to have her fond memories of the Fabulous Four instead of the dark ending.
    Last edited by patricia n; 12-02-11 at 04:29 AM.

As the group entered Puti temple, they were greeted warmly by a nun. Xingye decided to stay behind with her lady companion as Wu Haocun, Huo Yuan and Tang Xiangfeng went about on their business.

Huo Yuan was only too glad to leave the other lady behind; her eyes seemed to have gotten unfriendlier as the time passed by for heavens know whatever reasons. It was as if she resented their presence! He wanted to comment on her, but felt it would be rude to do so since she was in the company of Wu Haocun's friend.

"Where can we find the... thing? Master Wu?" Huo Yuan asked instead.

But Xiangfeng does the job for him.

"Hey, that other woman... she's really odd. Did you see how she was looking at us? Like vultures stalking on some prey."

Huo Yuan tried to stifle his giggle. Tang Xiangfeng heard him and glared.

"What are you laughing about?" She asked.

"Nothing. Nevermind that, just let us get the stuff and go." Huo Yuan replied. Things should be more interesting now, with two ladies joining their ranks. That was Wu Haocun's decision and though he trusted the elder man's judgment, he didn't know enough to feel assured. If they were going to carry something as important as the ex-Donghai King's edict, and assassins might jump at them, he wants to be sure that the two newcomers could at least protect themselves. The second lady, yes, but Wu Haocun's friend - Xingye - didn't look capable of even killing a chicken.

"Master Wu... is it really okay to let your friend, Miss Xingye join us? I trust your judgment... but," Huo Yuan struggled to find the right words without offending Wu Haocun or his friend, "She looked quite the... pacifist. I worry about her safety should we be attacked by any unfriendly forces on our journey."

“Left Emissary, were you serious about following that group?” Fengming asked the moment Wu Haocun, Huo Yuan and Tang Xiangfeng were out of earshot.

She was unsure of what plans Xingye had in mind. She thought Xingye was going to gather intelligence on Yuzhou, so the sudden change in plans was more than surprising.

“I am. What of it?” Xingye replied with a question smilingly.

“But… I thought…” Fengming was even more confused now that her suspicions were confirmed. Xingye was many things, but predictability was never one of her traits.

Jiancheng was a dog-eat-dog world, and the higher one climbs in rank, the harsher the competition. To remain in high position for a long time without getting killed, it requires a significant amount of capability. The Right Emissary was a powerful pugilist, but his utter ruthlessness and effective use of fear ensured his long-term survival. Xingye, the Left Emissary, was his foil and mirror; she is the benevolent force that keeps things in balance, but she can be ruthless when required. At the same time, she keeps a constant low profile and her living habits were so unpredictable it’s hard for anyone to have a chance to catch her vulnerable.

“Don’t worry about inconsequential things. Just take this as a break.” Xingye said kindly.

Fengming nodded and said nothing else. By ‘inconsequential’, she knew Xingye was really telling her the matter is none of her concern, and she should not make it into a concern either. As a subordinate, she can only obey and follow; nothing else is required of her.

The wind blew and Fengming trembled as she watched Xingye admiring the flowers in the monastery. Nothing must go wrong.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 12-11-11 at 10:26 AM.

In the dimly-litted room, a well-dressed middle-aged man's eyes widened at the sight on his table. Bright and glowy as if they had its own life... but they were his. Or rather, going to be his.

He looked up at the smug-looking man seated in front of him.

"Are you sure about this?" The man asked, his voice trembling almost in anticipation.

"Yes, of course." The smug man replied.

"Oh well, it's a deal then! What harm can it do anyway," the man grinned as he lowered his body, spread out his arms and rushed the pile of gold ingots into his embrace, laughing heartily.

The smug man smiled. One stupid greedy man will be the tears of a lusty man and a stuffy man. Good riddance.

The King of Pan is in a good mood. Not only did Prince Ying successfully capture the throne of Donghai, he has also received news that his troops at the Xiang frontlines had finally broken ranks, capturing Bingzhou.

Plus Xiwu's gift of Wancheng, the King of Pan couldn't be happier. His officials knew, for he couldn't stop smiling, and was exceptionally more forgiving than usual for any less-than-good news they brought forward.

Seeing a chance, a middle-aged official boldly stepped out and forward, bowing.

"Your Royal Highness, now that Donghai has settled down and our troops have made great progress with Xiang, I'd like to make a proposal that would further Pan's influence."

"Oh? What is it? Speak!" The King smiled.

"Prince Ying will soon be crowned, and as he promised, he would be sending us grand gifts in return for our help..."

"Uh huh..." The King nodded.

"Although the war ended unexpectedly quickly, Donghai has also lost a sizable amount of territories. It is not too much to say that they have weakened considerably." The official looked around to gauge the surrounding response before he added, "Why not use this chance to let Donghai bow to us?"

Mumbles arose in the court.

"Hmm... what do you mean, Minister Chen?" The King asked curiously.

Seeing that the King's interest has been aroused, Minister Chen spoke boldly. "Donghai used to be the strongest force, but the civil strife has taken its toll on the kingdom and its lands are reduced. In addition, Prince Ying does not merely owe us a favour - in fact, he owes us everything. No matter how you look at it, be it military strength, treasury, political clout and standing, Pan's station is way above Donghai. Isn't it only natural that the weak should become the food of the strong?

But of course, we of Pan are not so despicable to take advantage of Donghai's situation. We would only request for Donghai's pledge of allegiance, and in return we would protect them and ensure them of the independence they deserve."

The court officials looked at each other, not daring to say a word, except for one.

Du Zhi Er stepped out. The King frowned at the sight of him. Since his last beating, the King thought he would learn better and not show his face again, but he did.

"Your Royal Highness, Prince Ying might be young, but he is an intelligent man with drive. He has endured three years in Pan..."

"Endured?! You speak as if we ill-treated him!" Minister Chen admonished.

Du Zhi Er ignored Minister Chen and carried on, "From the three years, what we learnt that Prince Ying is a man who deeply cares for his people and thus is fiercely protective of Donghai's interests. I doubt such a man would give in to such a request. I only fear this could lead to a breakdown in relations..."

"So what if there's a breakdown in relations? Donghai does not have the strength to fight with us." Minister Chen said.

"But if they join forces with Xiang? We cannot afford to be fighting wars at two ends like this." Du Zhi Er questioned.

"Can they? Xiwu is right at their doorstep." Minister Chen pointed out.

"So it's a lose-lose situation. Then what's the point?" Du Zhi Er shot back. Minister Chen was about to utter a retort when the King raised his hand.

"Enough! You two think this is some market where you can haggle prices??" The King scolded, and both Du Zhi Er and Minister Chen quietened down. After a moment of silence, Minister Chen spoke.

"... I see Official Du's concern... if we are too overt about our intentions, it might hurt our interests. But how about this, Your Royal Highness..."

Minister Chen took another step forward. He smiled.

"Prince Ying has successfully taken down all of his brothers. Among them, I heard the eldest Prince Zhang has Yangzhou's top beauty, Lady Jia, as concubine. Now that Prince Zhang is a criminal who is no better than a traitor to his country, certainly he has no more use for such a beautiful woman..."

The King leaned forward, interested.

"I have heard of her too..."

"Your Royal Highness!" Du Zhi Er quickly interrupted. "This is... immoral! Even though Prince Zhang is now a criminal by law, but he is still Prince Ying's brother. This will be seen as a humiliation! No... it is a humiliation!"

"Well, it is also a test of Donghai's intentions to us. If Prince Ying is really unwilling, we can always say..."

"That it's a joke? Or what? Such poor taste, Minister Chen!" Du Zhi Er reprimanded.

"How dare you??? This is all for Pan's sake!" Minister Chen cried.

"Oh shut up, you two!" The King waved his hand angrily. He turned to Du Zhi Er. "As if this would be something new to Lady Jia and Prince Ying! It's no secret that Lady Jia was originally married to a court official and Prince Zhang seized her illegitimately! Furthermore, it's said that it was this incident that caused the previous King of Donghai to lose confidence in Prince Zhang.

Handing her over to me... will only be a relief for Prince Ying! Surely his royal father would roll in his grave if Prince Ying actually cares for the woman who caused Prince Zhang's downfall!"

"Then she is bad luck." Du Zhi Er argued. "What if..."

"What if?!" The King slammed his fist on the table angrily, nose flaring. The court atmosphere immediately turned cold.

"You think I'm like Prince Zhang?! Come on! How dare you compare me to that worm! His life is not good enough! He's weak! That's why he's so easily defeated! That's why he didn't have the good fortune!" The King patted his chest. "But me, I'm different. Look, I even have the Princess of Xiwu as concubine now. What else, or who else can't I take? Hmpf!"

He turned to Minister Chen.

"Minister Chen, immediately send an envoy and request Prince Ying to send Lady Jia to me pronto!"

"Yes, Your Royal Highness!" Minister Chen bowed.

"Your Royal Highness!" Du Zhi Er tried again, but the King has already made up his mind as he waved his hand.

"Court dismissed!"

Du Zhi Er looked at the leaving King and stared helplessly at his colleagues filing out of the court room. He caught the triumphant look Minister Chen had on his face and looked away. There was nothing else he could say, just like he could feel nothing but despair in his heart.

Donghai Capital Jianye

Brigadier Mu of the Xiwu army arrived at the palace of the King of Donghai with his small entourage. The grand palace which was once remarkable for its splendor was now a pale shadow of its former self, reflecting Donghai's transition from prosperity to strife.

Brigadier Mu marched up into the throne room carrying his helmet in 1 hand and laying the other hand on the hilt of his sword. Prince Ying eyed him from his throne and was chaffed by the brigadier's attitude, which was bordering on insolence.

The veteran officer bowed but paid no obeisance, jumping straight to business, announcing, "Greetings, Your Highness. Our great Xiwu proposes an alliance with Donghai, and we hope both our countries can benefit from our strenghtened economical and military cooperation. Please consider this, Your Highness, and I look forward to hearing the good news."

The brigadier put on his helmet and cupped his hands, then swept his cape and marched out of the hall without waiting for a reply; his facial expression remaining stone-stiff throughout the audience.

"Hmph!" Prince Ying smacked the table.

He thought, "What audacity! They invade our lands, swallow our territories like eating a chicken, now they actually humiliate me with this... I'm not fit to rule Donghai if I can stomach this!"

The eunuchs quickly fanned him and poured more tea, pleading with him to cool down.

Prince Ying then realised that Donghai at this point was definitely not a match for Xiwu, not to mention Pan hungrily eyeing their lands like a hungry tiger; even if the garrison at Chibi could destroy Bragidier Mu's troops stationed nearby, Donghai would never survive a counterattack by Xiwu or Pan alone, not to mention both.

His anger slowly crept into anxiety as he pondered his situation. However, none of his closest advisors were present at the palace. General Huang was still guarding Shouchun while there was totally no news of Zhou He, perhaps he might even be dead.

Prince Ying shuddered at such a morbid prospect, then sighed at his situation.

Just then, an attendant walked in and whispered into his ear, "Your Highness, Miss Gao has arrived in Jianye. She's now at the Guest House."

Prince Ying breathed sharply before smiling in relief. "What perfect timing," he thought. Of course, it was Princess Yue Jiayan...