View Poll Results: Should we boycott those tv series with evil manchurian prince?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!!!

1 11.11%
  • No...

8 88.89%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Should We Boycott some TV series?

Slightly off-topic - I was reading up on the Aisin Gioro clan in the tieba forums and I finally found you guys a modern Manchurian Prince!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/yanie/3c1e761419d3bd90fcc6bdc8858e650f.jpg')

Calvin Li Zhong Han, who plays Wu Yong in the new Water Margin series, is of Manchurian descent with the clan surname is Aisin Gioro! Don't think he is a direct line from the Emperors but still Aisin Gioro so technically still a Manchurian prince!

Here is his baidu profile: http://baike.baidu.com/view/129388.htm
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by IPlayWow View Post
    Being racist mean you hate a race of people. please get your definition straight. I don't hate the manchurian. I only want justice from the evil doer manchurian prince.

Me saying the manchurian was a barabaric group of people is because they were to my knowledge from what I learn from someone else...So I really didn't insult them like you said up there in your post. I'm just saying according to what I learn from history that someone else put in book or in words from their mouth to my ear.

So no idea how that make me a racist....

I can't tell if Ren Ying Ying is being sarcastic or not because Im not a mind reader. You think you can read people mind?
    No, being racist means that you believe all members of a race have a common characteristic specific to that race, usually deeming it inferior to other races (i.e. being barbaric).You don't have to hate the race, but since you believed that ALL Manchurian are barbarians (which means that they are savagely cruel, exceedingly brutal, and primitive), which is very insulting, yes you are racist. Please get your definitions straight. This is why I've said you should do some research before saying stuff because you just come off sounding incredibly dim.

As for how I can tell that Ren Ying Ying and Junny were being sarcastic, Guo Xiang already answered the question well enough but I'll repeat it again. There is something called tone in people's writing. Look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about.
    Bu Bu Jing Xin English Fantranslation: http://bubujingxinenglish.blogspot.com/

This thread has reached cult status, it is now in the same league as such classics as:

-"I no longer hate Yeung Gor (only to hate him more than ever)"
    -"Shark Fin (nuff said)"
    and
    -"Is it wrong to f*ck another man's wife?"
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    I have confirmed with my wow friends that if you pick the race Manchurian and class prince, you automatically have a skill that gives you a 20% chance of indecent assault of nearby Han girls with every attack.
    That means 4 out of 5 Manchurian princes are still innocent!! Unacceptable! It also has to be "little" Han girls. Han girls above the height of 5'5" are automatically immune to such attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by cutzie View Post
    No, being racist means that you believe all members of a race have a common characteristic specific to that race, usually deeming it inferior to other races (i.e. being barbaric).You don't have to hate the race, but since you believed that ALL Manchurian are barbarians (which means that they are savagely cruel, exceedingly brutal, and primitive), which is very insulting, yes you are racist. Please get your definitions straight. This is why I've said you should do some research before saying stuff because you just come off sounding incredibly dim.

As for how I can tell that Ren Ying Ying and Junny were being sarcastic, Guo Xiang already answered the question well enough but I'll repeat it again. There is something called tone in people's writing. Look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about.

I really can't tell their tone or whatever it is they are thinking of when they typed that up.... I think if someone is going to say something, please just be clear about it.

Your definition of being racist is far too much beyond imagination. I'm not gonna accept that because still I don't hate the manchurian race or anything. I said that they were barbarian is because I know and learn from people and history book.
    Last edited by IPlayWow; 08-05-11 at 12:33 PM.

I really can't tell their tone or whatever it is they are thinking of when they typed that up.... I think if someone is going to say something, please just be clear about it.

Your definition of being racist is far too much beyond imagination. I'm not gonna accept that because still I don't hate the manchurian race or anything. I said that they were barbarian is because I know and learn from people and history book.
    It is not MY definition of racist, it is THE definition of racist. You know, as in the one that is in the dictionary. Or are you going to say that the dictionary is unreliable source cause they don't have camcorder back then when they invented the word so no one really knows for sure what the word means?
    Bu Bu Jing Xin English Fantranslation: http://bubujingxinenglish.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Han girls above the height of 5'5" are automatically immune to such attacks.
    What makes you think 5'5'' is short? I protest.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by cutzie View Post
    It is not MY definition of racist, it is THE definition of racist. You know, as in the one that is in the dictionary. Or are you going to say that the dictionary is unreliable source cause they don't have camcorder back then when they invented the word so no one really knows for sure what the word means?

That would also depend on which dicitionary you read too. Also American english or British english, or there are many new form of english these days. you know many people come from different place to america and now there are new words and stuff. people from the west speak different from the east from the north to the south.

you know what there are many definition for the word if you look it up on urban dictionary website.

there is someone that say racist mean someone that drive a race car. because race = a competition well that what they say so I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Hmm.. how little would a Han girl need to be to be defined as little then? 5'2"?

well that what they say so I don't know.
    I thought what they say is taken as the ultimate truth? Or these aren't the wow/triad sources which are more accurate than official historians?
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 08-05-11 at 02:27 PM.

Hmm.. how little would a Han girl need to be to be defined as little then? 5'2"?

I thought what they say is taken as the ultimate truth? Or these aren't the wow/triad sources which are more accurate than official historians?
    to some extent. the story have been pass down for generation....there must be some truth to it or else they would just stop telling their kids and grandkids about it. and if no one seek justice or seek truth than who will?

I think below 5', maybe with bound feet? Appreciation of Manchu boys and fervent dislike of Wow?

to some extent. the story have been pass down for generation....there must be some truth to it or else they would just stop telling their kids and grandkids about it. and if no one seek justice or seek truth than who will?
    Ahh sonny, only you can use "seek justice" as a euphemism for "harem-making". Pity the Han girl fancies that Manchu boy in class, ne? Taihen na. See, I told ya you'd need washboard abs and the bling bling...
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Ok guys,

Some of you are bordering on personal attack. There's no need to ridicule IPlayWow by making all kinds of assumption on his personal life (e.g. him losing his marbles over a girl he likes giving herself to a Manchu boy).

yup junny's post above this is still talking about assumption on me or something...i don't know.

So just because alot of people believed it for a long time it must be true? Alot of people believed the world was flat once, they taught it for hundreds of years.
    Alot of westerners thought Han Chinese people were barbaric for binding the foot of their women and thinking it was hot. I wouldn't blame the Manchurians for conquering and showing them how to be civil.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post

..huh.....?

..huh.....?
    The normal inference would be that PJ is either 5'5" or less, or he knows someone close to him who is, and who doesn't like being referred to as "short" or "little".

Listen. no one was there at the time to know what really happened. There wasn't even such technology like camcorder or voice recorder invented yet to actually know for sure what the heck really happened.

I read and learn my history from someone else and so do you. accurate or not? I'm not sure. but would it make sense that someone with high power would abuse their power??? use you're mind to figure that out.

I'm pretty sure those prince you mentioned didn't report everything in a journal or something... good stuff happen, they write... bad stuff happen... they use their power to cover it up.... use ur mind to see if what i'm saying makes sense.
    First, you said that you doubt historical accounts which has been pass down from generations and now you say somethng that has been pass down from generations has some truths in it? So which is it? Or perhaps, it has to be endorsed by the WoW clan to be true?

so confusing...
    MooMoo Cows Can Fly.

That means 4 out of 5 Manchurian princes are still innocent!! Unacceptable! It also has to be "little" Han girls. Han girls above the height of 5'5" are automatically immune to such attacks.
    With every attack though, so it depends on how many hits they get through. If say they attack 10 times, then it's a 90% chance they would have triggered that ability. Anyhow now I have to add a new ability in that all Manchurians automatically become barbaric.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

If we go by IPlayWoW's logic that all this passed down through many generation must have some truth in it, then I wonder what would happen in a hundred years time when we start telling our kids about a certain person called IPlayWow having a secret harem?

Things passed down through generations may not be the whole truth. The person who started it may have just witnesssed part of the evil acts from some Manchurian princes and generalised that all Manchurian princes rape Han girls and are evil. There could be good or reasonable Manchurian princes that the person had not be exposed to, and the children not knowing better, passed this stereotypic judgement down as the trut. Mind you, the Heaven and Earth Society were anti-government activist so don't rule them out for a biased view of the era.

Scholars not only consider written accounts from the official history records by the government, but also analyse scripts and drawings from normal common people to get the truth. They see the same event from many different perspective then draw out a conclusion.

I don't believe that 100% of a certain group of people can be generalised with one statement. Even if the majority is evil, even 1 out of 100 or 1 out of 10000 can be good. Don't kill a whole boatload of people with one rod.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

My, this thread has grown quite a bit in the past few days!

The original post and the 157 responses gathered so far have proven to be quite an interesting mix, regardless of whether they were made in seriousness, in jest or as plain old red herrings to throw unsuspecting forum-ers off the trail.

So back to the original question:
    Should we boycott those tv series with evil manchurian prince?

The responses so far:
    (a) The poll, which has garnered 9 votes to date, finds 88.89% of respondents saying "no". Interestingly, the person who asked the question in the poll has not cast his vote at this point in time.
    (b) Forum members other than those who have voted in the poll have also made known generally through various posts that (to paraphrase and summarise) it is not necessary to boycott "tv series with evil manchurian prince".

In addition, there have been quite a number of calls for the proponent(s) of the boycott to substantiate their claims, calls which the proponent(s) have not been able to been able to respond to the satisfaction of the opponents and the floor. Instead, the responses of the proponent(s) have been side-tracked several times due to an apparent inability to stay focused on the main issue of claim-substantiation.

Nevertheless, this thread will remain open for responses. Respondents to this thread who feel that there is nothing much more that can be added to the current situation, please feel free to shift your attention elsewhere.

Yours sincerely
    Huang Yushi
    Moderator, Open Debate Forum

----

btw, I think "short" should be under 5'.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by mich View Post
    First, you said that you doubt historical accounts which has been pass down from generations and now you say somethng that has been pass down from generations has some truths in it? So which is it? Or perhaps, it has to be endorsed by the WoW clan to be true?

so confusing...

Your question seem more confusing than what I said...?