Helena Tam as Tan Sang Nhi
    Steven Ma as Tan Tu Bach
    Carmen Lee as Nguyen Ngoc Yen
    Angela Tong as Thanh Thuy Nuong Nuong
    Michelle Yip as Duong Thi Nhu
    Benny Chan as Tran Vinh Lam
    Julian Cheung as Tran Tri Lam

~~~~* *~~~~

“Nguyen May Tuyet?” The old man repeated. Then another moment of silence erupted before he spoke again and strangely enough it seemed to be in a rather calm voice. “If you really are Nguyen Ngoc Hieu’s daughter then you would have learnt Minh Lien Chan Phap.”

A sudden swish of a cloak was heard and before neither of them could do anything, a pair of long wooden sticks shot out form a small crack in the caves and an old man flew out of there like a bat, quickly and with a dark image. The two sticks fixed themselves on the ground meters inform of May Tuyet and the dark image revealed to be an old man as he twisted his two disabled legs around the sticks to stand up. He had a face that was paler than a corpse and his old skin was wrinkly, as though there was place in which the skin was straight. But the most frightful thing was his eyes. Where there should have been dark globes staring into the world, was nothing. Just two holes; large, dark, and empty.

“Do you see what I have become?” The old man asked. “This is all thanks to your mother Nguyen May Tuyet. And if I can’t get revenge from her, then I’ll do it to her only daughter!”

He bolted in May Tuyet’s direction with lightning speed. May Tuyet’s body curved and avoided him without her direction. He flew right pass her and missed badly. Just as he was about to turn back however, Thien Long joined them and met the old man’s internal energy with his own. They began their fight and it proved to be quite lethal.

May Tuyet watched for an instant before running over to the trees. Tam Nhu, Sang Nhi, and Tu Bach were just visible from behind the branches. She slipped a remedy in each of their mouths and felt a clash of energy nearby. May Tuyet turned out to look and saw Thien Long led the old man out of the cave by flight.

Tam Nhu stirred and opened her eyes to see her mistress.

“When the others wake up find us,” May Tuyet said to her maid calmly, “follow the snow lotus scent.”

Tam Nhu nodded but it didn’t really matter for May Tuyet had already took flight.

~~~~* *~~~~

Thien Long swiftly avoided the internal energy that was being shot at him from behind. They had now reached the green forest and were still flying. After a short while longer, he landed on the grass and waited for the figure behind him to do the same. The sticks planted themselves in the ground and the old man stood over them.

“You said before you’re of The Million Sworded Manor didn’t you?” The old man asked calmly.

“Yes I did Elder,” Thien Long respectfully replied.

The old man nodded as though he were merely inspecting a young student practice.

“Ly Trien Son should be proud.” The old man said, “He taught you well. But that doesn’t mean anything here. Both you and that Water Palace girl are going to die!” And with that, he aimed at him again.

Before he could reach Thien Long however, he stopped dead in his flight track and pulled a strangled face, then fell to the floor. He squirmed at gasped. There was a stick run through his back.

May Tuyet came slowly into view with the calmest face anyone could ever muster. She did not at all look like she had just killed an old man, but rather as though she was merely taking a stroll in the park.

She slowly walked over to the old man who was still gasping for breathe. Thien Long joined her by her side and said nothing. What caused May Tuyet’s face to change from calm to slightly startled, was when the old man laughed.

“What are you laughing at?” May Tuyet asked, her voice cool. “Is the demon of death so hilarious to look at?”

“Do you want to know who your father is?” The old man asked still panting whether it was from lack of air or laughing, no one could tell.

May Tuyet’s face fell emotionless and se immediately leant down, a level over the old man.

“You know who my father is?” She asked her voice still.

The old man laughed again but this time, it sounded very forced.

“You’re mother will never tell you, so you need an old man to…an old man that you have just killed.”

And then, before he said anymore, a small branch no larger than a thumb shot out at May Tuyet. She had let her guard down and was not prepared. She saw Thien Long’s fingers in front of her face holding back the branch, and the next thing she knew, a sword shot out from behind her puncturing the old man’s heart. He gave out a look of surprise before falling still. May Tuyet looked at his body once before turning away.

From behind them, Tam Nhu, Sang Nhi, and Tu Bach appeared. It had been Tam Nhu that threw the sword.

“Tieu tho,” The young girl began as she ran over to her mistress, “Are you okay?”

May Tuyet gave out an air of regret of a second before nodding her head.

“I’m fine.” She answered.

Sang Nhi and Tu Bach eyed her strangely as she and Tam Nhu began their path elsewhere. May Tuyet completely ignored the three people behind her but Tam Nhu gestured them all to follow behind her mistress’ back.

~~~~* *~~~~

“…and where is Thanh Nu currently at?” Thanh Thuy Nuong Nuong (Angela Tong) asked, sitting on her throne staring down at Thi Nhu’s (Michelle Yip) figure as Ngoc Yen (Carmen Lee) stood next to her.

“Thanh Nu said that she was on her way towards the south,” Thi Nhu answered. It wasn’t a lie; that was what her mistress had said to her.

“Hmm.” Thanh Thuy Nuong Nuong said with a calm smiling face that made Thi Nhu nervous. “Now I wonder why she would want to go there.”

“Thanh Nu May Tuyet said that she would like to go sightseeing.” Thi Nhu replied, proud that her voice had no quaver.

“Well then, Ngoc Yen, would you like to go with Thi Nhu to bring May Tuyet back?” Thanh Thuy Nuong Nuong asked in a composed voice.

“Aunty, but-” Ngoc Yen began.

“There’s no need to worry,” Thanh Thuy Nuong Nuong cut in gently, “May Tuyet will listen to you; she always has. And you have to get to learn more on the outside world now.”

Ngoc Yen nodded.

“Yes Cung Chua.” She said curtsying.

~~~~* *~~~~

After walking for a while, the small group reached the beach once again and May Tuyet turned around to see that Sang Nhi was speaking to Thien Long with a carefree expression.

“Cong tu,” She was saying, “now that you’ve found us, there’s no way that we can’t get off this island.”

May Tuyet seemed to smirk as she turned away.

“Tam Nhu,” May Tuyet began, “take this.”

She pulled out a marble remedy which Tam Nhu took without question.

“Tieu tho, so you know where we are?” Tam Nhu asked once she’d taken it.

May Tuyet gave out a small smile and nodded.

“From what I’ve seen of the island, there are no inhabitants, decent food or water. The only life from other then that old man is the blue snake, native to the island. If I’m not mistaken then this is one of the four Fatal Islands.”

“How would you know?” Sang Nhi challenged, overhearing the conversation.

May Tuyet ignored her and turned to Thien Long.

“You helped me before so I will now help you in return.” She said calmly. “I will order for a ship to come and pick us up. The tides only come in on this island once every fourteen days so anything that happens to you during the time is none of my business.” She began walking. “Come Tam Nhu.”

But Tam Nhu wasn’t following, she felt an usual feeling soar through her.

“Tieu tho!” Tam Nhu gasped suddenly clutching her stomach.

May Tuyet leant over to her, immediately worried.

“Tam Nhu what’s wrong?”

“What did you give her before?” Tu Bach immediately demanded with a protective look on his face.

“You don’t need to ask,” Sang Nhi snapped, she too liked Tam Nhu a lot. “It’s obviously poison.”

Thien Long said nothing and watched the young woman’s reply as her worry almost completely vanished.

“That’s right,” May Tuyet said impatiently, “I’ve poisoned my maid so now I don’t need to starve.” She gave them a look of venom. “Don’t be so stupid! If there was someone to kill, I’d deal with you two idiots first!”

May Tuyet grabbed Tam Nhu’s arm and launched with her into the forest area far way.

“Insane,” Sang Nhi breathed watching the white figure leave.

“Cong tu,” Tu Bach said looking over at Thien Long, his face full of worry, “we have to save Tam Nhu.”

“Don’t worry,” Thien Long said calmly as he too watched the area in which May Tuyet had left in. “Nguyen May Tuyet wouldn’t hurt Tam Nhu.”

~~~~* *~~~~

May Tuyet sat with her legs folded underneath her on the grass as she transferred internal energy into Tam Nhu’s. Her palms were laid flat against Tam Nhu’s back and smoke formed from her maid’s temple.

The trees around them were silent and not a sound was heard. After a while longer, May Tuyet retreated her energy and laid Tam Nhu carefully on the grass before standing up.

May Tuyet stared thoughtfully at nothing as she thought. Why had the medicine reacted that way? According to Ngoc Yen the pill wouldn’t have acted that way no matter who took it. Why had it done that to Tam Nhu? May Tuyet herself had tried it at The Million Sworded Manor and was fine. There was no way it could have been poisoned unless…

May Tuyet pulled out the jar and sniffed it gently. This definitely not the same scent as last time…only very, very similar. That meant that someone had exchanged the medication for poison.

Tam Nhu began to stir and May Tuyet walked over to help her up.

“Thanh Nu,” Tam Nhu began, “Are we in the forest of the island?”

“That’s right.” May Tuyet answered in hr usual calm yet commanding voice, “are you okay?”

“Yes, I’m fine,” Tam Nhu answered slowly. “What poison was it?”

”A poison that was exchanged with Ngoc Yen’s remedies. I’ve never heard of it before…but I was careless and should have known that it was different. I’m sorry.” May Tuyet added. “But you’re fine now. I’ve let you have a pill of Nguyen Nguyen Bao Tam Don and transferred enough energy to evaporate the poison.”

“Thank you.” Tam Nhu curtsying.

But May Tuyet was barely listening. Her attention was captured by a butterfly. It was flying peacefully over to a bundle of flowers. She thought for a moment and smiled. Tam Nhu knew at that moment that she had figured out a way to get off the island.

~~~~* *~~~~

Ngoc Yen walked quite nervously through the streets as people- mainly men- around her stared. Thi Nhu was gaining attention too, but not nearly as much as Ngoc Yen.

“Ngoc Yen co nuong,” Thi Nhu began, “Phuong Nhi, Song Nhi, Thai Nhi, Hai Nhi, and Thu Nhi is waiting in this inn.”

Ngoc Yen nodded and entered the inn that Thi Nhu was pointing at. When she entered, the five white robed girls in The Water Palace’s uniform stood up and curtsied to her.

“Nguyen co nuong,” They greeted.

“Sit down,” Ngoc Yen said, “there isn’t any need for any formal traits, we aren’t in the-”

She paused as she saw three soldiers enter the inn. They were the lowest classed soldiers but still they acted as though they were superior to all.

“Get out of the way!” One of them snarled, shooing away some of the customers at a table and then all sat down.

“Tieu nhi! (Waiter)” Another one of them said, impatiently banging the table, “tieu nhi!”

“Yes sir?” Asked a trembling little girl as she came near them.

“Bring me one kilo of cooked beef and the best wine your place has to offer!” The third man ordered. “Quickly now!”

The tieu nhi hurried away and as she passed Ngoc Yen gaped at her. Ngoc Yen gave the young girl an encouraging smile as she sat down, her cloak fluttering slightly.

The three men looked around impatiently and the third man nudged the others suddenly as he looked at Ngoc Yen’s face. They nodded to each other and they walked over to her.

“Tieu co nuong (little girl),” The first man said flirtatiously, “Aren’t you looking stunning today.”

Thi Nhu and Ngoc Yen ignored them. The five girls of the palace eyed the three men cautiously. As one of them made a move to touch Ngoc Yen’s face, the five girls; Phuong Nhi, Song Nhi, Thai Nhi, Hai Nhi, and Thu Nhi grabbed their swords and pushed the three men away. They formed a completely straight line before they unshed their swords and charged for the soldier’s hearts. Just as it was about to it them, a whip soared through the door causing them miss.

Thi Nhu raised a surprised eyebrow as the whip recoiled and a young man walked into the inn. He was wearing a pale blue robe that had been designed to be fashionable, yet simple. There was only a simple gown and a gold medallion dangling from his belt but still he looked very wealthy.

Thi Nhu stood up and picked up her sword. The young man (Benny Chan) looked around and commandingly.

“What’s going on?”

“Tieu duong gia (younger duke of royalty),” The second man immediately whined. “Please, save us!”

Outside the inn, twenty soldiers lined up blocking the path.

“Co nuong,” He said directly to Thi Nhu, “I do not know what has been happening and would hate to take sides, but these men are of the imperial army and they are soldiers. There is no punishment that you being a commoner could bestow upon them.”

“Our punishment to them is death,” Thi Nhu said meeting the newcomer’s gaze directly, “and there is nothing you can do about it.”

Without another word, she striked. They fought as the young man used his whip and Thi Nhu, her sword.

Ngoc Yen stared at the battle and frowned. They seemed quite equally matched and the only way that one of them were going to win was if the other made a mistake or got help from the outside. Ngoc Yen turned to see two frightened children and walked over to comfort them.

As soon as she’d leant down to their level however, a table that was obviously a result of Thi Nhu’s fight came flying over to her. Ngoc Yen hugged the children tightly prepared to take the blow for them knowing that the five girls were too far away to save her. Just as the table was about to land, it was hit away.

Tri Lam lowered his arm that he had used to hit the able away and looked down at the young maiden with a hidden face.

“Co nuong are you alright?” Tri Lam asked.

Ngoc Yen turned to see a handsome young man staring down at her and smiled a little.

“I’m fine thank you.” She replied.

Tri Lam was surprised to see her face. She seemed much more than beautiful and had a gentle touch of affection glowing from her face. The maiden’s face was pale and delicate with a touch of serenity. Her dark, dark hair made her even look paler and she wore a pale yellow elegant dress that was clearly costly. She was absolutely stunning and the only person that could really rival her beauty was that May Tuyet person. But there was a difference in their beauty, this girl’s face shone with tenderness and her soul glimmered her every expression.

“Thi Nhu,” Ngoc Yen said clearly.

Tri Lam looked over to see his younger brother Vinh Lam and Thi Nhu retreat. ‘Ah of course,’ He thought, ‘she’s of Thuy Lien Cung.’

“Dai ca (Eldest brother)” Vinh Lam (Benny Chan) greeted.

“Ngoc Yen co nuong,” Thi Nhu began, “are you okay?”

Ngoc Yen nodded.

“Thi Nhu co nuong,” Tri Lam greeted, “is your tieu tho well?’

Thi Nhu looked over to him and for the first time realized that he was there.

“I wouldn’t know,” She replied, “after all, I haven’t been serving her these last few days.”

“This is all just a small misunderstanding,” Ngoc Yen said once she’d stood up. Her tone ended Thi Nhu’s coldness. “You see, these soldiers tried to dally and everyone here was under orders to protect me so…”

“So that’s the case,” Vinh Lam said, nodding understandingly, “please forgive me for my rudeness then.” He said to Thi Nhu.

Thi Nhu nodded and turned to Ngoc Yen.

“Ngoc Yen co nuong,” She began, “If we do not leave soon we’ll be late to see tieu tho.”

Ngoc Yen nodded in understanding and the five white girls walked over.

“We must go now, have a nice day.” She said, and excused herself.

Ngoc Yen and Thi Nhu waked out, the five girls trailing behind them. When they were gone, Vinh Lam and Tri Mal turned their gazes onto the three soldiers.

“Take them back and teach them a lesson,” Vinh Lam ordered.

“Yes sir.” Five guards came up and led away the three trembling men.

“Dai ca,” Vinh Lam said to his brother, “do you know them?”

“Only the one that you fought,” Tri Lam answered. “They’re from Thuy Lien Cung.”

“But isn’t that place a myth?” Vinh Lam asked in return. After he considered in thought, the younger duke spoke again. “She’s very good.”

“Good?” Tri Lam repeated smirking, “I don’t think we’ve seen anything from Thuy Lien Cung yet….”
    "It is better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -Abraham Lincoln

Default Chapter 8- Butterflies

Appearing in this chapter:
    Gigi Lai as Nguyen May Tuyet
    Louis Koo as Truong Thien Long
    Tavia Yeung-Duong Tam Nhu
    Helena Tam as Tan Sang Nhi
    Steven Ma as Tan Tu Bach
    Carmen Lee as Nguyen Ngoc Yen
    Michelle Yip as Duong Thi Nhu
    Benny Chan as Tran Vinh Lam
    Julian Cheung as Tran Tri Lam
    Vicky Zhao as Tran Bich Giao

~~~~* *~~~~

“I’m so hungry,” Sang Nhi whined as she, Tu Bach, and Thien Long walked through the forest.

It had been exactly thirteen days since May Tuyet had left with Tam Nhu. Since then, neither of them had had any food to eat.

“I know,” Tu Bach said with a rather impatient look on his face, “we’re all hungry! Now be quiet.”

A white pigeon flew above them and Tu Bach flew up to catch it. He landed and smiled to them. There was going to be dinner tonight.

“That’s my bird,” May Tuyet said calmly from behind them.

They all spun around to see her standing a few meters away from with a cool expression.

“May Tuyet co nuong,” Thien Long greeted politely, “Tam Nhu co nuong.” He said to Tam Nhu how had just came into view with a soft smile on her face.

“Do I find you well Truong cong tu?” May Tuyet asked, a smile on her face that showed that she was slightly amused.

“I’m feeling fine May Tuyet co nuong,” Thien Long answered politely. That was quite true too. Although he hadn’t eaten for a few days, his internal energy had kept him well and healthy.

“But I didn’t think anyone could survive so long without food,” May Tuyet replied, her voice it’s usual cool and commanding.

Thien Long smiled courteously.

“You seem to be going fine, co nuong.”

May Tuyet smiled again.

“I’ve had food to eat but.” She said calmly.

“You’re lying,” Sang Nhi immediately said. She turned to Tam Nhu. “She is isn’t she?”

May Tuyet’s smile vanished and she looked expectantly at Tu Bach. He looked back for a while before realizing what she wanted. Tu Bach released the pigeon from his grasp and the creature immediately flew over to May Tuyet and landed on her perched fingers. Thien Long saw her face joyful as she smiled at the bird tenderly. When she noticed him looking however, the expression vanished.

“No,” Tam Nhu answered, “we’ve been eating honey. Tieu Tho has been having it delivered to us by Ngoc Yen co nuong in a small jar”

May Tuyet pulled a piece of paper from the pouch on the pigeon’s leg and released it into the sky. Then walked straight through their conversation.

“Coming?” May Tuyet asked Thien Long and Tam Nhu as she passed.

~~~~* *~~~~

The tide was coming in and the water currents were rising. A wooden box washed onto the sand from the water and May Tuyet leant down to its level to pick it up. Then, she stood up again and opened the box. Inside, lying against the soft delicate cushions was a white flute, made of a precious gem. Tam Nhu came forward and was passed the box when May Tuyet had removed the flute.

May Tuyet lifted the flute towards her soft lips and blew. The music escaping through it was magical almost, but cold. Then, butterflies from inside the island began their way towards the beach.

~~~~* *~~~~

Ngoc Yen looked around the sea. She was on a elegant expensive boat as she stared out at the ocean. Then, a very faint and distant sound of a flute being played was heard ands she smiled.

“It’s time,” She declared.

Thi Nhu nodded and opened a large trunk that was beside her. Hundreds of butterflies with different colors came flying out of the trunk all heading towards one direction.

“Follow them,” Ngoc Yen ordered to the sailors.

~~~~* *~~~~

Thien Long looked at the butterflies with a rather startled expression.

‘She’s using the flute to attract them,’ He thought, ‘that’s smart. But no sound could call for the butterflies…unless it’s a scent.’

Thien Long inhaled deeply and filled his lungs with a foreign scent. It was rich, and grand yet not sick. It was the same scent that May Tuyet usually had but it was much stronger than normal.

A boat came in from around the corner of the island and Thien Long, Tu Bach, Sang Nhi, Tam Nhu, and May Tuyet all turned to look at it. Tu Bach and Sang Nhi’s faces broke into smiles and they both waved and shouted at the boat to come over. The boat headed their way and when it had reached close to the shore, five fine cups were thrown across the water and the same number of veiled women came flying out of the boat using the cups to travel across the water. When Phuong Nhi, Song Nhi, Thai Nhi, Hai Nhi, and Thu Nhi had landed on solid ground, they all knelt in front of May Tuyet respectfully.

“Thanh Nu,” They all greeted in unison. Tam Nhu stepping forward till she was only behind May Tuyet by half a meter.

Tu Bach and Sang Nhi looked at her with surprised faces. They hadn’t known that she was the Thanh Nu (sacred maiden) of Thuy Lien Cung nor had she bother telling them. Thien Long’s face was expressionless. Somehow, he seemed to have had guessed.

“How is Thanh Thuy Nuong Nuong?” May Tuyet asked calmly.

“She is fine, highness,” Phuong Nhi answered, she and her colleagues still looking to the ground.

“And what about Ngoc Yen? May Tuyet continued.

“Nguyen co nuong is on the boats waiting for you highness.” Song Nhi answered.

May Tuyet looked rather regrettably at the island before speaking.

“Let’s get to the boat then.” She said and then turned to Thien Long. “I’ve kept my promise and have found you a path of the island. After we reach the dock, I don’t own you anything.”

Thien Long nodded and May Tuyet turned around. Then, she gracefully took flight and flew over to the boat, her arms spread out like wings and her coat fluttering. Moments later, Tam Nhu, Tu Bach, Sang Nhi, and Thien Long landed on the deck near her and a light and graceful voice greeted them happily.

“May Tuyet!” Ngoc Yen stepped out from below the deck and smiled immediately at the face of her cousin. She ran over and hugged May Tuyet tightly.

May Tuyet’s face broke into a beautiful smile. It lit her face to life making her seem much happier and full of exuberance. There was no mock in her smile or cruelty behind her eyes, just happiness.

“Ngoc Yen,” She said with warmth in her crystal voice that this time had no trace of commandment.

“How have you been?” Ngoc Yen asked, breaking from their hug and looking at her cousin with concern. “May Tuyet, you’ve gone thinner… of course you would have though, nothing but honey for 14 days…”

“It’s okay; I’m fine.” May Tuyet replied.

Together she and Ngoc Yen began their way down to the lower deck leaving everyone there the way they were.

“Thai Nhi,” Tam Nhu began, “could you lead Truong cong tu, Tan cong tu and Sang Nhi co nuong to a room so they could rest?”

Thai Nhi came forward and nodded, then gestured the three guests towards another area of the lower deck. A maid in the distance (Vicky Zhao) watched them and said nothing.

~~~~* *~~~~

It was late that night and the waves were lightly coming up against the luxurious ship that was shining over the moonlight on the dark water. A figure entered the main deck and looked up to the moon longingly.

May Tuyet stared at the pale globe above her. The butterflies around her head; dangling from her halo, shook slightly as a breeze passed. She was wearing a long white dress with a golden waist line. There was the gold trim around her outfit at the bottom hem and at the top collar. On her head was a halo that had at every 15cms a 3cm dangling chain ending with a white sapphire butterfly. She wore no veil and little makeup. Running along each of her eyes however towards the hair near her ears was small amount of gold glitter. She looked royal and stunning, yet her expressionless features seemed to hide a great affection.

Then, Thien Long came to the main deck and greeted May Tuyet politely.

“Nguyen co nuong,” He said.

“Hello…”May Tuyet had a searching look for a while before remembering. “You haven’t ever told me your name, cong tu.”

“I am Truong Thien Long.” Thien Long answered.

May Tuyet smiled and turned back to look up at the moon.

“Your su phu taught you well,” She said in her usual blatant ways with a cool tone in her crystal voice. “You’re one of the first people I have met outside The Water Palace with kung fu worth mentioning.”

“Thank you,” Thien Long said, he too was staring at the moon. “Your kung fu is great also, but it’s a bit…”

“Evil?” May Tuyet offered with a coldly amused smile.

“No, not evil, but dangerous.” Thien Long concluded. “Dangerous for you to learn and the people you fight.”

May Tuyet let out silvery laugh that synchronized with her crystal voice.

“I don’t think anyone has ever taken that view before,” May Tuyet said, she seemed a bit sadder now. “To tell you the truth I never really got a choice on whether or not I wanted to learn Minh Lien Chan Phap…” She was quiet for a moment before speaking again, this time her tone was analytical. “Truong cong tu, do you know how many levels of Minh Lien Chan Phap (Moonlight sacred Kung Fu) there truly are?”

Thien Long looked thoughtful for a moment before answering.

“My su phu has once told me that there are nineteen.”

“That’s right,” May Tuyet agreed, using the same tone, “nineteen levels. I myself am learning level four. The last Cung Chua (palace ruler) had gone up to level seven before her death. The current Thanh Thuy Nuong Nuong has gotten to level nine. No one out of the history of Thuy Lien Cung has ever surpassed level thirteen.”

“The founder of The Water Palace was able to though,” Thien Long interjected gently.

“Her ancestors created the kung fu.” May Tuyet said. “She herself was once the Empress of the Middle Kingdom, but due to a misunderstanding with the Emperor, she left the palace and created her own individual sect forbidding any of her descendants to ever love a man. They could be from a distant land bearing a child, but they could not marry.” May Tuyet looked down from the moon to the water below and her face fell sad. “Once you’re part of Thuy Lien Cung, you can never leave it. It’s a one way contract. The only true alternative is death.”

Thien Long said nothing. This sounded very familiar, almost like a story that his mother had told him when he was younger…

At that moment, Ngoc Yen came up onto the main deck and walked over to May Tuyet.

“Cong tu,” She greeted politely.

Seeing that she had something to say to May Tuyet, Thien Long nodded in return.

“I’ll be excusing myself please.” He said politely and walked away.

Ngoc Yen and May Tuyet watched the leaving figure of the young man. Once Thien Long was out of sight, Ngoc Yen turned to her younger cousin.

“May Tuyet,” Ngoc Yen began but before she could say anymore, May Tuyet butted in.

“I know,” May Tuyet said. “She wants me to go back.”

“And you should,” Ngoc Yen continued. “I’m serious May Tuyet. Those remedies I gave you had clearly been swapped by someone. There were at least fifteen different types of poisons in there and with different plants and creatures. Tam Nhu was lucky she had a minor one with less poison in it. Some of the others would have been fatal to you even. May Tuyet, you’re a smart person; you should know that someone wants you dead.”

“But don’t you want to know who it is?” May Tuyet asked with that same cold humour, “and how they managed to swap them remedies right under my nose without me realising it?” She paused before adding. “And how they know who I am.”

Ngoc Yen did not look happy. On the contrary actually, she looked very frustrated.

“I don’t know how it happened and I don’t want to know. I just don’t want you to get yourself killed,” Ngoc Yen seemed as though she was about to cry. “If that person was able to exchange to remedies for poison without you realising it like that then there’s no knowing what they are capable of. I really don’t want to see you hurt!”

“Ngoc Yen it’s okay,” May Tuyet said comfortingly patting her cousin’s back. “how about this, I promise you that within a month, we’ll all return to Thuy Lien Cung no matter what.”

Ngoc Yen looked at May Tuyet and smiled with a wet face.

“You said it,” She said with humour as she sniffed.

May Tuyet let out a small laugh and together they turned towards the moon and watched its light.

~~~~* *~~~~

Thien Long entered his room in the boat to see a maid kneel before him on the floor.

“Bich Giao, is that truly necessary?” Thien Long asked with a rather disapproving frown.

Bich Giao (Vicky Zhao) stood up and looked at the handsome young man before her. Seeing his face, she immediately grinned.

“Did you recognise me at the beginning?” She asked walking over to him.

Thien Long nodded and sat down at his desk.

“I did.” He answered. “Do your brothers know you’re here?”

Bich Giao’s usual cheerful and energetic face fell.

“I’ve come to look for you actually,” She said truthfully. “I wanted you to do a favour for me…but you don’t have to. I’ve already got a backup plan in case you don’t.”

Thien Long nodded again.

“I know what your problem is. It’s the engagement isn’t it?”

“Yes,” Bich Giao’s voice became whinny and she sounded rather like a spoilt child that was being disappointed for the first time ever. “Can you help me?”

Thien Long gave her an appraising look of an older brother.

“I can’t do anything to help you; not from here at least.” He said.

Bich Giao opened her mouth to argue when she realised how selfish she was being and how much misery she could cause Thien Long if she carried on. But she’d be miserable if things didn’t work out too. After fighting back and forth in her mind, Bich Giao sighed; the guilty conscious had won.

“Aw well…” She said slowly. “I guess I could carry on with the alternative plan.”

Thien Long raised the eyebrows of a disapproving older brother.

“And what might that be?” He asked.

“Oh nothing much. Just running away from home.”

~~~~* *~~~~

The dock was full of different types of ships as Tri Lam and Vinh Lam approached with twenty guards trailing behind. There were ships coming in and out, but their attention was captured by a group of full grown men arguing to a teenaged male.

“I’m telling you, they were angels,” The teenage male insisted.

“That’s stupid!” Said someone in the crowd. “There are no such things as angels!”

“What’s going on?” Vinh Lam demanded.

“I did see them, I swear,” The teenage male vowed determinedly.

“See what?” Tri Lam asked slightly amused.

“The angels!” The teenage male answered as though it was possible. “There were two of them… and they were the most beautiful things you could ever imagine...”

The crowd scornfully scowled once again.

“Where did you see them?” Tri Lam asked ignoring them.

“I was fishing when I met one of them and the other came a few days ago to request for a boat.”

“Oh please!” A man in the crowd yelled out. “This was just like the time you claimed to have seen the Dragon prince in the water when it turned out to be a rock sticking on the surface.”

The crowd nodded and cried out in agreement.

“And like the time you said there was a sea monster and it turned out to be an old fishing net with a twig in it!” Someone shouted.

“Yeah…”

“What about that gold you said you found that turned out to be a clump of rocks?”

“That’s right!”

“And how about the weeds you declared as expensive herbs?”

“But I did see them…” The teenage male said desperately, “they were…” He suddenly stopped talking and gasped. Through all the commotion, no one had noticed an incoming boat and two young women coming back down to solid ground. There was the soulful face of Ngoc Yen and the confidant expression of May Tuyet. The entire crowd was silent. No one spoke a word as they stared at the two girls.

They were looking at the peaceful and beautiful determined face of Ngoc Yen and feeling warmth and the detached and stunningly distant appearance of May Tuyet. Their faces were impassive and they seemed to float rather than walk. When they stopped, the world went almost still.

Ngoc Yen looked at them rather puzzled but May Tuyet completely ignored the starers as she turned to Thien Long.

“Truong cong tu, it is here that we bid you farewell,” May Tuyet said coolly. She may have added that she hoped never to see him again and that wouldn’t have made much of a difference. Not with the vacant expression she had.

Thien Long cupped his hands together in salute.

“Thank you for your hospitality over the last few days,” He said.

Ngoc Yen nodded and smiled.

“I hope we meet in the future,” She said.

After exchanging those words, she and May Tuyet walk off. Trailing behind them were the seven protectors. Further behind them were a few men carrying their possessions. Tam Nhu smiled at them as she passed and Thi Nhu nodded a greeting to Vinh Lam but that was all.

When they were gone, Tri Lam and Vinh Lam walked over to Thien Long.

“So how were you?” Tri Lam asked.

“Okay,” Thien Long answered, “what about you?”

“We’re okay.” Tri Lam replied. “So where’ve you been? We’ve been trying to locate you for about ten days now.”

“I landed on an island out south,” Thien Long answered. Behind him, Tu Bach and Sang Nhi were waiting.

“Thien Long,” Vinh Lam began, “we need to talk to you. I think we should go to the inn and talk about it.”

Thien Long nodded. He told Tu Bach and Sang Nhi the plans and they agreed to go and wait in the inn first for him. Once they had left, together with Tri Lam and Vinh Lam, Thien Long turned the opposite direction and began walking.

Bich Giao stretched at the top deck of the ship in a tired but happy way. She looked down and what she saw was startling. It was Vinh Lam. Her happiness evaporated and she immediately spun around. She was about to bolt the opposite direction. But it was too late…

“Bich Giao!” Vinh Lam shouted. “Come down here!”
    "It is better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -Abraham Lincoln

Great story! I'm only up to chapter one but can't help putting a comment. Poor Hoang Nhi. Is it his mother that died? The empress is so nice too. Update soon. I'll finish reading now.
    Huang Yi Forever

My Fanfics:
    http://www.winglin.net/fanfic/H_Z_G_G_3[Completed]
    http://www.winglin.net/fanfic/Lovefate [Completed]
    http://www.winglin.net/fanfic/Desires [Processing]

Default Message from annalee

Okay guys, I'm really sorry for forgeting to post my story in this forum. If you want to find my story, with the poster, you can go to:

www.winglin.net/fanfic/annalee

That's where my story is, and it's up to chapter 51 there. This story is finishing soon and the sequel will eventually be up. I will hopefully be updating it here soon though.

Here's the poster made by BLADEN.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.freewebs.com/annaleefanfic/Bladen.jpeg')