Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heroine of the Yangs I-II

I can never get tired of watching this drama. My only gripe about it is Crystal playing a male role, the other Yang family adaptation by ATV had an actor playing the same role. They should've used him in this series too.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I really like this series but I didn't enjoy part 2 as much. I find crystal's character kind of annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I really like this series but I didn't enjoy part 2 as much. I find crystal's character kind of annoying.
    Are we reviving this thread? Woo hoo! Part 2 sucks. It is very evident that the production values and script writing is nothing compared to Part 2. It was around the same time ATV changed management who made huge $$$ cuts and results are obvious. Part 2's story is very messy with new but very uninteresting characters and not to mention the most uncharismatic "apparently sexy" villain ever. The only redemption of it is how Ho Nam and Pai Fung ended up.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I agree with some of the other people who said they should have used the actor who played crystal's role in heroic legend of the yang family. I think some of the artist did say you can see a change in production after management change. Berg Ng said in the past they can give suggestions to what to do or where to film, but that wasn't possible with the new management. I cannot remember who the villian was in part two. I do like ho nam and pai fung a lot. I didn't like Amy's costume in part two.

I agree with some of the other people who said they should have used the actor who played crystal's role in heroic legend of the yang family. I think some of the artist did say you can see a change in production after management change. Berg Ng said in the past they can give suggestions to what to do or where to film, but that wasn't possible with the new management. I cannot remember who the villian was in part two. I do like ho nam and pai fung a lot. I didn't like Amy's costume in part two.
    Villain in Part 2 was Ken Lo Wai Kwong. He's acting is not good. and his character was 2-D evil. Amy had to dress older since she was a mum and even Pai Fung has to dress older. Most of the characters that survived to appear in Part 2 were in their 30's -40's.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Oh I do vaguely remember ken lo in that series now... I only remember him in snow is red. Ahh yes the characters had to appear older... at the time I thought vincent looked weird with the mustache.

Does Gilbert and Annie have any other series together besides 97 year of charmeleon?

Does Gilbert and Annie have any other series together besides 97 year of charmeleon?
    Yeah. He played her step dad in TVB's "Greed Mask".
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Yeah. He played her step dad in TVB's "Greed Mask".
    Now that you mention it, I do vaguely remember him being in the series. I think he played the main villian or something. I only caught a few episodes on tv when it first came out.

One thing I never really understood was howcome Amy's muk gui ying never like Gilbert's character. It seems like they were a match made from heaven. I think at one point even her master said they were the perfect match but she still choose vincent's character.

started re-watching this today

Now that you mention it, I do vaguely remember him being in the series. I think he played the main villian or something. I only caught a few episodes on tv when it first came out.
    He was a supporting villain but I wished he was the main villain because he did so well in the role. His character was on orphan who was created to get some bone marrow to save his brother but was abandoned by his rich father after his bone marrow did not match and his brother died. So he always wanted to get rich as he viewed it as what he was born to be entitled to.

He was always an manipulative child who used tactics to get attention to potential parents in the orphanage. He was eventually adopted by a psychologist where he learn hypnotism from. He helped out at his adopted father's clinic and from he learnt how to pinpoint people's weaknesses.

He worked for Roger's dad company and saw the vulnerability of Roger's aunt with her repeated failed marriages and raising a deaf child as a single parent. He approached her, seduced her and married her to get into the company but was treated as an outsider by Roger's dad. So then he seduced Roger's lonely girlfriend, Halina, who helped him, I think funnel money elsewhere, and then he killed her to cover his crimes.

And then he killed Roger's dad, tried to get Roger kicked out of the company. He then hypnotised Annie into killing herself as she saw him kill Roger's dad, which failed and he tried to kill her again (I think all Homan-Pai Fung's fans cried at that moment) before he got caught and killed trying to escape.

Basically, it was a great villain with intelligence, charm and scheming which kept the first half of the series alive. But after he died, the series went downhill and the plot became even more crazy with Wayne's sex change and plastic surgery. Sometimes, I do wish TVB made him the main villain as he was a joy to watch. You felt sorry for what he had to go through then hate him for he has done.

One thing I never really understood was howcome Amy's muk gui ying never like Gilbert's character. It seems like they were a match made from heaven. I think at one point even her master said they were the perfect match but she still choose vincent's character.
    I think Gwai Ying just as Honam as a brother and she was always put off by his ambition. I guess opposites attract and she was not impressed by an intelligent guy who was two-faced and preferred the simple and kind-hearted Chung Bo. And to be truthful, I think she saw that Honam only wanted to marry her for his ambition rather than for love. Chung Bo loved her as she was, nnot what star she was born under or what she could do for him.

Honam liked her enough but they were never close enough for him to have any real feelings for her. He kind of viewed her as a trophy wife whereas he went out of his way for Pai Fung time and time again and was willing to sacrifice for her.

I think their teacher said that Gwai Ying and Honam were a match made in heaven, but it was up to her to choose. If Gwai Ying chose Honam, then they could conquer and rule the Central Plains together but unhappily as she does not love him and he does not love her. If she chose Honam, then it would be a life of many hardships and sorrows as she would have gone against her destiny but be happy as they love each other. I think her teacher changed Gwai Ying's destiny after she said she would rather die that accept her destiny and marry Ho Nam, which in turn changed Honam's and Pai Fung's.
    Last edited by charbydis; 11-07-16 at 04:19 AM.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Chibiaya View Post
    It's so quiet in here. Where is everyone?
    Anyway, I'd like to share a MV I just made for Hou Nam and Pai Fung with you guys because I know many of you love this couple. ^^ Melanie, are you still here? I used to talk to you in the old HOTY forums many years ago and promised if I were to make a MV then I'd inform you. Hopefully you're still a Hou Nam & Pai Fung fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnH-zcRGqcE

I'm rewatching this series at the moment and my love for Hou Nam and Pai Fung just got revived again. They seriously look awesome together and I love every scene that they're in. <3 I wish they had more scenes together in Part 1 though. Those parts were the best! haha
    Wow did you make this video? It's really really good. I have been looking at other videos people have made online for this couple. I also wish they had more scenes together in part one. I was really sad that he choose revenge over her and even tried to kill her in part one but luckily gui ying saves her in time. There was another video online that was good that uses the song for the great general, will post link later.

On an earlier comment someone had about pai fung marrying the emperor as repayment for the yangs, I think she would never had met hou nam if she had married the emperor early on. That is unless the emperor allows her to occasionally stay at the yangs so that she would have a chance to meet him.
    If pai fung was force to marry to emperor after meeting hou nam, I think he would crash the wedding because he loves pai fung but he also wanted to kill the emperor since he was on opposing sides.
    Last edited by Nan Ling; 11-08-16 at 10:07 AM.

Really like this video as well of Gilbert and Annie

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Yep. Don't ever bring harm to Pai Fung or else you get on Ho Nam's bad side.

I get really tired and annoyed whenever the Yangs are framed and accused on treason. You would think the Emperor knows and understand the heart of the Yangs already.

Not to mention The Heroic Legend of the Yang Family and it's sequel The Great General, the Emperor played by Poon Chi Man and the guy who played the Emperor in the Heroine of the Yangs were both very useless Emperors. To the point in Heroic Legend and Great General, he was pretty much disregarding his royal family members and Justice Pao because they were defending the Yang family. It was so pathetic. I seriously wanted to whack the emperors and knock some sense into them. I swear they had better and level-headed emperors in the Taiwanese Justice Pao, though some people were framed, the emperor actually had a brain and wasn't completely fooled by evil officials trying to frame good people. The emperor had to have good evidence to think otherwise, but not believing everything an evil official says to be true.
    The only reason I can think of to defend these emperors were that there are so many people in royal court you don't know who to believe. How do you know who is really good. Maybe he also is starting to fear the Yangs as they were getting very powerful. Also he was always presented with evidence. It does get frustrating to see that the emperor is constantly influence by pong tai shi. I think the emperor play by poon chi man in Heroic legend of the yang family was a bit smarter. He himself said at the end he knew who was good and bad but to make consort pong (Erica Choi) happy, he let her father get away with many bad deeds.

Another thing I didn't understand was why they Yang's were so loyal after being frame and almost killed time and time again. I know at one point vincent's character chong bou compare their family to the assassin played by terry fan in Hitman Chronicles.
    The same goes with Raymond Choi's character in justice Pao where his whole family was killed by the king's order but after the misunderstanding was clear, he goes on to serve the king.

He was a supporting villain but I wished he was the main villain because he did so well in the role. His character was on orphan who was created to get some bone marrow to save his brother but was abandoned by his rich father after his bone marrow did not match and his brother died. So he always wanted to get rich as he viewed it as what he was born to be entitled to.

He was always an manipulative child who used tactics to get attention to potential parents in the orphanage. He was eventually adopted by a psychologist where he learn hypnotism from. He helped out at his adopted father's clinic and from he learnt how to pinpoint people's weaknesses.

He worked for Roger's dad company and saw the vulnerability of Roger's aunt with her repeated failed marriages and raising a deaf child as a single parent. He approached her, seduced her and married her to get into the company but was treated as an outsider by Roger's dad. So then he seduced Roger's lonely girlfriend, Halina, who helped him, I think funnel money elsewhere, and then he killed her to cover his crimes.

And then he killed Roger's dad, tried to get Roger kicked out of the company. He then hypnotised Annie into killing herself as she saw him kill Roger's dad, which failed and he tried to kill her again (I think all Homan-Pai Fung's fans cried at that moment) before he got caught and killed trying to escape.

Basically, it was a great villain with intelligence, charm and scheming which kept the first half of the series alive. But after he died, the series went downhill and the plot became even more crazy with Wayne's sex change and plastic surgery. Sometimes, I do wish TVB made him the main villain as he was a joy to watch. You felt sorry for what he had to go through then hate him for he has done.

I think Gwai Ying just as Honam as a brother and she was always put off by his ambition. I guess opposites attract and she was not impressed by an intelligent guy who was two-faced and preferred the simple and kind-hearted Chung Bo. And to be truthful, I think she saw that Honam only wanted to marry her for his ambition rather than for love. Chung Bo loved her as she was, nnot what star she was born under or what she could do for him.

Honam liked her enough but they were never close enough for him to have any real feelings for her. He kind of viewed her as a trophy wife whereas he went out of his way for Pai Fung time and time again and was willing to sacrifice for her.

I think their teacher said that Gwai Ying and Honam were a match made in heaven, but it was up to her to choose. If Gwai Ying chose Honam, then they could conquer and rule the Central Plains together but unhappily as she does not love him and he does not love her. If she chose Honam, then it would be a life of many hardships and sorrows as she would have gone against her destiny but be happy as they love each other. I think her teacher changed Gwai Ying's destiny after she said she would rather die that accept her destiny and marry Ho Nam, which in turn changed Honam's and Pai Fung's.
    Wow sounds kind of interesting and tragic at the same time. Would you recommend watching it? I just remember Gilbert in Angel of Mission. I cannot remember much of his tvb series at the moment. The only thing that pops into my head is angel of mission... Also, I read earlier somewhere that he has rejoin tvb, can anyone confirm this? His last series was lan ling wong fei but I have not watch this. I don't really watch mainland drama so not sure if this is good or not but will probably give it a try since gilbert is in it.

Another thing I have always wonder is that howcome ho nam tried to kill pai fung when he first met her. He said he has no need to explain anything to a dead person and tries to kill her. Yet the second time around when she was falling off the cliff, he tries to save her.

Goon Suet Far was not the winner but she drew a lot of attention by lying about her age to make her seem older. The media scrambled around to interview and that is why she was so promoted in ATV back then. She did a few series in mainland but to tell the truth, her acting sucks and her plastic surgery is bad.

Hey, is this the HOTY discussion thread or the Yelut Ho Nam discussion thread?

What did you guys think of Chung Yuen? Not the actor's looks, but the role. I thought he reminded me a lot of Kiu Fung from DGSD and I was very sad when he died. His internal conflicts regarding his nationality and loyalty was vert well portrayed.
    I agree you you. Chung Yuen is like kiu fung. Don't want both countries to hurt each other since only the innocence suffers in the end. I thought the actor did a good job protraying his internal conflicts as well.

I think Gong suet fa was also in one of the cases for justice pao. Haven't seen her in any other series. She does have a lot of outfits compare to anyone else in the series. It seems like every time the scene changes, we see her with another outfit and hairstyle. I would think the leads would have more outfits. She did plastic surgery??? Why do you guys call her big bird???

Baidu says Gilbert has return to tvb and wiki says he will be staring in 踩過界. Hoping its not a minor role. Would be nice to see him in a series with his former coworkers from atv as well =)

Rewatching this series... still one of my favorites.

Rewatching this series... still one of my favorites.
    I am still waiting for the uncut version fo Part 2 in Cantonese. I have watched it ages ago, but now I can only find the butchered Mandarin version which has all the supernatural elements edited out. TVB bought some old ATV classics when ATV closed down. Hope they bought this one.
    Cyril Connolly

for a while, someone had the cantonese version on youtube but a lot of the scenes was cut out.

Do you know whatever happen to Cecilia Lai, is she still acting? I believe thats her name, the actress that play chung yuen's wife.

Do you know whatever happen to Cecilia Lai, is she still acting? I believe thats her name, the actress that play chung yuen's wife.
    I heard that she got married just about when ATV started cutting down shows. Hope she is happy overseas.

BTW, watching "Of Greed and Ants" now, and Gilbert does not have much to do. He is playing a banker who is cheating on his wife with Jeannie and "promises" to marry her and divorce his wife. He still looks good but bery limited role.
    Cyril Connolly