Thread: R.I.P. National Broadcasting Company (NBC) (1926 - 2012)

Default R.I.P. National Broadcasting Company (NBC) (1926 - 2012)

What in the flaming hell is going on over at NBC? Do they HAVE a death wish?

The only two worthwhile, veteran shows giving them a fighting chance right now, The Office and Law & Order: SVU, are being treated like goddamn poker chips!

I must have woken up in bizzaro world ... because unless I'm mistaken, NBC seems intent on burying the only two gems it has left!

Where the hell do I even begin?

First off ... most probably know by now that Steve Carell has now left The Office, taking with him 80% of what has made the show the #1 comedy series of all time for seven seasons.

I don't care WHO they decide to make "regional manager" on the show ... they cannot replace Steve Carell as lead actor, and NOBODY SURE AS HELL CAN EVER REPLACE MICHAEL G. SCOTT, ONE OF THE TWO GREATEST FICTIONAL CHARACTERS IN ENTERTAINMENT HISTORY.

Without Michael Scott's weekly antics showcasing his one-of-a-kind brand of stupidity, immaturity, ignorance, emotional sensitivity, and general lack of both self-awareness and social skills ... that leaves very little to be enjoyed while watching the show.

Seriously, what the hell is left now to laugh at ... CREED?

Secondly ... you should also be aware that this will be the first season in which Law & Order: SVU has become the only remaining series in the Law & Order franchise ... now that Law & Order: L.A. and Law & Order: Criminal Intent have both been cancelled (and rightfully so).

However, it's obvious that NBC is willing to gamble away the success of the second greatest crime procedural of all time, just as it's willing to throw away the success of the #1 greatest comedy of all time.

I don't really care so much that Christopher Meloni is now officially off the show, after twelve seasons as the lead actor. The fact that Mariska Hargitay will only likely be appearing in HALF of the season ... and be replaced eventually by the blonde chick from last year's failed procedural, Chase ... THAT is beyond disturbing.

When Mariska Hargitay goes ... I may very well also stop watching the show. Seriously ... what is NBC's problem? Pay your damn actors the money they want, and stay the hell alive, you incredible morons ...

THIS is exactly why CBS has been able to cement itself as the #1 TV network right now, PERIOD.

If Meloni's departure and Hargitay's eventual departure isn't bad enough ... B.D. Wong has also left the show, after over a decade of playing Dr. George Huang.

On the bright side ... Stephanie March and Diane Neal, the old-school A.D.A.s, have been brought back ... albeit only in a recurring role capacity. Don't really care that much about the former, but Diane Neal portrays who has ALWAYS been my favorite A.D.A. in the Law & Order universe, Casey Novak, so at least that's a plus.

Nonetheless, I'll be very surprised if NBC survives this upcoming TV season. Just take a look at the miserable fall line-up. Seriously, do the NBC suits really believe that The Biggest Loser is going to be enough to carry the network another damn year? Mark my words, Peacock Network ... you're the ones that dug out your own grave.

==================

NBC's problem is that they're stuck in a horrible, catch-22 situation ... wherein their new series every year have almost ZERO chance of becoming successful ... because no one even tunes into the network anymore and therefore don't even ACKNOWLEDGE their existence!

Case in point ... when a series as fantastic as The Event can't even get 5 million viewers to stay alive ... that's proof right there that NBC is now officially sinking into a sandtrap.

If The Event can't even manage to stay alive, what chance does any of NBC's new fall shows have? They're all gonna get cancelled. The only one that has even a slim chance of becoming a "hit" is The Playboy Club, and I'm skeptical about that even being moderately successful.

Grimm MIGHT have had a shot of gaining a viewing audience ... but the geniuses at NBC decided to put it on FRIDAY nights ... the night where shows go to DIE. Smart move, NBC. Grimm is pretty much DOA.

Heroes was absolutely NBC's last big hit ... its chances of scoring another major hit series are about as good as this country's chances of the USD rising (instead of continuing to fall) in value over the next decade (not to try to make this about politics or the economy ... simply a logical comparison, as I am, after all, a trader/speculator).

America's Got Talent may still be the highest-rated show every summer, but people are seriously getting tired of the same old every year. I sure as hell am. I'm much more into Big Brother's tension, emotion, and drama right now than what's going on on AGT.

And Minute to Win It is a good guilty pleasure ... but a serious show it's not. And the last time I checked, it's close to bombing in the ratings.

The problem is simple ... NBC is stuck in a catch-22 ... its old, veteran shows are getting stale and going out one by one. Unfortunately, there is no INFLUX of new shows because NO ONE EVEN WATCHES THE NETWORK ANYMORE! There is absolutely no opportunity for new shows to catch on. Like I said before, if something like The Event can't even manage 5 million viewers and a sophomore season, NBC's got no chance left.
    Last edited by PrinceKrillo; 09-01-11 at 02:17 AM.
    http://kibescorporation.blogspot.com/
    "The Universe is Zero-Sum ... Opposing Forces Maintaining an Intricate and Eternal Balance."
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

NBC has decline over the years. They use to have excellent shows. Now they only have a few. The ones they have are either about to end or declining.

The Office is pretty much over now that Steve Carell is gone. Michael Scott is one of the best characters on the show. Jim and Pam were good. Once they were married they became rather dull. Now you have Andy, Darryl, and Erin getting alot of screen time. Darryl is decent. Andy and Erin is almost a rehash of Jim and Pam. It's boring. The ratings has been pretty good. Now that Steve Carell is gone, the ratings are going to fall after the first two or three episodes. I give it at most two season before it ends. NBC should have just ended the show once Steve Carell announce he was leaving.

I have never follow Law & Order but I know it has been on for many years. I think it's time to end. SVU ratings are slipping. Might as well end it before it crash and burns.

To be fair, Heroes had a decline in ratings each season. It was on hiatus during the season. That was probably a big reason why there was a dip in ratings. People must have thought the series ended or lost track of the show.

What's left? Not much. People like reality shows so that's what they are focusing on. It's a shame really. Community is a great show. I think alot of young viewers watch this show which probably means downloading the episodes or watching it on YouTube or similar sites. Young viewers has a problem in following TV shows. Good example: Conan. Alot of support in his last few weeks. Now that he is on TBS, he is losing ratings fast. It's going to take a couple of great shows to bring NBC back to its former glory.
    Last edited by Krimzon; 09-07-11 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krimzon View Post
    NBC has decline over the years. They use to have excellent shows. Now they only have a few. The ones they have are either about to end or declining.

The Office is pretty much over now that Steve Carell is gone. Michael Scott is one of the best characters on the show. Jim and Pam were good. Once they were married they became rather dull. Now you have Andy, Darryl, and Erin getting alot of screen time. Darryl is decent. Andy and Erin is almost a rehash of Jim and Pam. It's boring. The ratings has been pretty good. Now that Steve Carell is gone, the ratings are going to fall after the first two or three episodes. I give it at most two season before it ends. NBC should have just ended the show once Steve Carell announce he was leaving.

I have never follow Law & Order but I know it has been on for many years. I think it's time to end. SVU ratings are slipping. Might as well end it before it crash and burns.

To be fair, Heroes had a decline in ratings each season. It was on hiatus during the season. That was probably a big reason why there was a dip in ratings. People must have thought the series ended or lost track of the show.

What's left? Not much. People like reality shows so that's what they are focusing on. It's a shame really. Community is a great show. I think alot of young viewers watch this show which probably means downloading the episodes or watching it on YouTube or similar sites. Young viewers has a problem in following TV shows. Good example: Conan. Alot of support in his last few weeks. Now that he is on TBS, he is losing ratings fast. It's going to take a couple of great shows to bring NBC back to its former glory.
    I liked Heroes from beginning to end,but it kind of disappointing with the conclusion of the show is to be continued..........??? At least finished it with a movie or something.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.