Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 《大漠谣》 Da Mo Yao Novel Discussion (SPOILER WARNING!)

Default re: da mo yao

hi all, i just started reading the novel. i am almost halfway through the book. actually i read through it quite fast (because I want to know how the story progresses, may go back to re-read again) and though i have learnt chinese for almost half my school life, it's a struggle to read chinese because i usually read english books. i think tong hua (and bu bu jing xin) really made me take an interest in chinese novels. (the last chinese novel i read was the first volume of princess pearl/huan zhu ge ge).

anyway just some thoughts of running through my mind (i haven't reached the end, and i don't mind any spoilers):
    - why did jin yu agree to help li yan get into the imperial harem when she knew the background of li yan? if li yan enters the palace it wouldn't bode well for the current han emperor and the han dynasty if she became successful. my thinking is that jin yu wanted to expand her dancing business but did she need to go to such an extent? because after li yan enters the palace, jin yu then starts to realise that her decision to help li yan may have sinister consequences (especially for empress wei zi fu and also possibly maybe HQB himself since they are related). for a seemingly intelligent person, jin yu didn't seem to have thought carefully about the decision to help li yan. honestly, if i knew that the person has a vendetta against someone, i wouldn't want to get involve. in this way, i think jin yu seems stupid to me. (hope i don't offend anyone)
    - i don't know what li yan does in the second half of the book but i feel that she is quite a sinister character. there was a scene where she tries to get jin yu into trouble with the emperor when she said that jin yu told her about a funny joke. but jin yu deflects it to li yan's admirer (forgot his name but also surename li). also it seems that li yan's admirer maybe a pawn to li yan in her political game? he almost wanted to kill jin yu and also vowed to help li yan after she fell ill (which just be a smart ploy on her part). gosh li yan really gives me the creeps. but i think her mother is also partly responsible for the way she turned out. does li yan have a good ending in the novel?
    - jin yu is such a lucky girl!! i am quite surprised that she did not fall in love with HQB first, although jiu ye is a really striking person and personality. i wonder if it would have been different if she met HQB first. although, between the two of them, it would have been quite a difficult choice. but i liked that she did not waffle in her feelings and she steadfastly liked one person. (but i think HQB is really quite swoonworthy in the strong (seemingly) silent man type).

hope that there will be more discussion on the novel! it seems quite short compared to bu bu jing xin.

Regarding Li Yan, she (as well as her brothers) are actually modeled after a real historical concubine of Emperor Wu of Han if you want spoilers. Though, given that they are technically historical people, perhaps the author wrote the novel with the assumption that you already know who these people are (kind of like in BBJX where you already know what happens to everyone in the end). Of course, even without the historical background, I think Li Yan's intentions would be more clear later on in the novel.

As for Jin Yu, she has no problems letting Li Yan's plans, as she is more or less impartial to the Han Empire or the well-being of the Han Emperor. When she first started helping Li Yan out, her relationship with Huo Qubing wasn't very close yet, hence I don't think there was as much of an emotional burden at the time. Plus, even if she is intelligent, she's still human. There are always things we realize in hindsight that we had not seen before.
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 02-12-12 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    Regarding Li Yan, she (as well as her brothers) are actually modeled after a real historical concubine of Emperor Wu of Han if you want spoilers. Though, given that they are technically historical people, perhaps the author wrote the novel with the assumption that you already know who these people are (kind of like in BBJX where you already know what happens to everyone in the end). Of course, even without the historical background, I think Li Yan's intentions would be more clear later on in the novel.

As for Jin Yu, she has no problems letting Li Yan's plans, as she is more or less impartial to the Han Empire or the well-being of the Han Emperor. When she first started helping Li Yan out, her relationship with Huo Qubing wasn't very close yet, hence I don't think there was as much of an emotional burden at the time. Plus, even if she is intelligent, she's still human. There are always things we realize in hindsight that we had not seen before.
    Hi Ren Ying Ying, thanks for your explanation. If the novel follows history, I am guessing Li Yan's schemes did not succeed. I guess that it is more of a plot point to show how Li Yan and Jin Yu became friends/frenemies when Jin Yu decided to help Li Yan join the emperor's harem.

I've just read the chapter where HQB abducts Jin Yu. It seems pretty steamy! Can't imagine that scene playing out in the TV drama. If Louis Koo was younger, I can actually imagine him playing HQB. Though Hu Ge may also be able to do a good job. Also, it seems that the captivating feature about Jin Yu is her eyes? Her eyes was described quite a few times in the book by various people and also herself. I can't think of any actress in the role of Jin Yu actually. But I like Liu Shi Shi, if she does get the role, hope she can bring the character to life.

Quote Originally Posted by starberry View Post
    Hi Ren Ying Ying, thanks for your explanation. If the novel follows history, I am guessing Li Yan's schemes did not succeed. I guess that it is more of a plot point to show how Li Yan and Jin Yu became friends/frenemies when Jin Yu decided to help Li Yan join the emperor's harem.
    It seems like Tong Hua enjoys these palace power struggle plotlines though. Li Yan's purpose in the story is more of an illustration of the palace politics. Though, outside of the romance lines, it seems like Jin Yu and Ruoxi both have the status of "observer" of history, but somehow indirectly causes many incidents.

Quote Originally Posted by H.Ge-C.Liu View Post
    Book recommendations
    Personally, I haven't finished reading Song in the Clouds (YZG) yet, but another good read would be 《三生三世,十里桃花》 (Three Lives Three Worlds, Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms) by 唐七公子 (Tang Qi Gong Zi). If you're interested after reading the plot, I can give you the online reading site. Both Chinesechik and I loved it.
    Tang Ren is planning to adapt it, and start filming sometime soon-at least I hope it's sometime soon, since they bought the rights in 2008, the same year as BBJX. A movie wouldn't take as long to prepare and plan (筹备) as a drama, right?

If TLTW isn't appealing, then my next choice would be 《东宫》 by 匪我思存, author of many other books like 《佳期如梦》,《千山暮雪》etc. which have all been adapted into dramas. Eastern Palace will also be adapted into a drama, starting late this year.

If you search the book titles up in baike.baidu, related information and the synopsis should be on there.
    Hi there~~

Thank you for recommending 三生三世,十里桃花..
    Really LLLOOOVVVEEEE that novel..
    Do you have any other recommendations??

Quote Originally Posted by winterflamingal View Post
    Hi there~~

Thank you for recommending 三生三世,十里桃花..
    Really LLLOOOVVVEEEE that novel..
    Do you have any other recommendations??
    Here are some of my favourites (Baidu Baike almost always gives the links on where to read them at the bottom of their respective pages):

兰因·璧月 BY 倾泠月
    天霜河白 BY 倾泠月
    香蜜沉沉烬如霜 BY 电线
    仙侠奇缘之花千骨 BY 果果
    琅琊榜 BY 海宴
    华胥引 BY 唐七公子
    Biases: Hu Ge, Qiao Zhenyu, Liu Shi Shi
    Jiang Hu Fansubs - Recruiting members (especially translators).

I've just finished reading the novel. Actually I didn't think that anything could come close to Bu Bu Jing Xin, I really like Da Mo Yao. The three main characters - they are really unforgettable. I wish all three of them could be happy but the happiness of two would always be at the price of the third. The last chapter was really heartbreaking but I think in a way Meng Jiu's happy because Jin Yu's happy and that is what he wished for her. I really like Huo Qu Bing, but feel sad for Meng Jiu at the same time.

I'm glad that Jin Yu and Li Yan came to a mutual understanding in the end. Towards the end of the novel, I started to feel sorry for Li Yan. Although her mother wanted her to not let go of her hate, it was her choice to pressure herself.

This novel shows that people are defined by their choices, I think most so in Meng Jiu and Li Yan. If they chose a different path, things could have come to a very different conclusion.

When I read the wikipedia entry on Huo Qu Bing, he didn't see like a likeable person. But Tong Hua managed to explain the reasons as to why he wouldn't share food with his soldiers. Towards the end of the novel, the political fighting and possible betrayal by his own kin made gives the reader a sense of restrictiveness and weariness. I'm glad that Jin Yu and Huo Qu Bing managed to escape and return to where they belong.

Has anyone here read Yun Zhong Ge? How does it compare to Da Mo Yao? Can anyone give me a rough summary of Yun Zhong Ge?

Here are some of my favourites (Baidu Baike almost always gives the links on where to read them at the bottom of their respective pages):

兰因·璧月 BY 倾泠月
    天霜河白 BY 倾泠月
    香蜜沉沉烬如霜 BY 电线
    仙侠奇缘之花千骨 BY 果果
    琅琊榜 BY 海宴
    华胥引 BY 唐七公子
    Thank you \(>__<)/
    By the way, do you have a link to where I can read 琅琊榜?
    I can't seems to find a site for it..
    Last edited by winterflamingal; 02-14-12 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by winterflamingal View Post
    Thank you \(>__<)/
    By the way, do you have a link to where I can read 琅琊榜?
    I can't seems to find a site for it..
    There is an online site (Qidian) for it, but it doesn't have the full version. If you PM me an email, I can send you the full version of the listed books you're interested in (except for Hua Xu Yin-I don't have that)

H.Ge-C.Liu

I have read 三生三世,十里桃花 and cried for the first 2 chapters but gradually got lost in the middle of the story because my chinese is still not up to standard :S I like it a lot though!

天霜河白 was quite nice as it starts but I got quite bored because there was little interactions between OTP. Can you recommend me novels that are like Da Mo Yao with storyline more focused on the OTP? Thanks! I'm hooked onto chinese novels after reading Da Mo Yao.

Quote Originally Posted by ycdahiong View Post
    H.Ge-C.Liu

I have read 三生三世,十里桃花 and cried for the first 2 chapters but gradually got lost in the middle of the story because my chinese is still not up to standard :S I like it a lot though!

天霜河白 was quite nice as it starts but I got quite bored because there was little interactions between OTP. Can you recommend me novels that are like Da Mo Yao with storyline more focused on the OTP? Thanks! I'm hooked onto chinese novels after reading Da Mo Yao.
    Glad you liked Three Lives Three Worlds. It's one of my favourites too. I cried in the second last chapter, where Ye Hua 'died'.
    click to show/hide spoilers
    Ye Hua is brought back alive in the last chapter. The actual ending of TLTW is happy.

I actually haven't read that much Chinese novels, but I'll do my best to recommend. I haven't read all of Yun Zhong Ge/云中歌 (sequel to Da Mo Yao) but due to it being written by Tong Hua as well, it should focus on the OTP quite strongly. I would also recommend Bu Bu Jing Xin/步步惊心, if you haven't yet read the book.

In my opinion, 花落燕云梦 focuses quite a lot on the OTP (Tang Rui and Zhu Di) as well, but it's really 虐. The female lead in here also time travelled back, to the Ming Dynasty.

Plot:
    研究明史的现代才女林希,因为未婚夫飞机失事去世,选择殉情自杀。结果她的魂魄却飘逸穿越了时空,来到明朝 ,变成唐门圣女唐蕊。在这里,她遇到了貌似未婚夫的三皇子朱枫和神似未婚夫的四皇子朱棣。朱枫的温文、朱棣 的强取,都渐入她的心里,茫然中她卷入了朱家众皇子皇孙的皇位争夺战中。一时之间朝堂之上风起云涌,江湖之 中刀光剑影,后宫之中尔虞我诈。面对权力和爱情,面对阴谋与手腕,她将选择何去何从?最终权归何人,情又归 何处?
    Modern woman Lin Xi (who studies Ming history) chose to suicide because her fiance died due to a plane crash. Yet her soul time travelled back, and came to the Ming Dynasty, where she was the female saint Tang Rui, of the Tang family. Here, she met someone who appeared to bear a striking resemblance to her fiance (Third Prince, Zhu Feng) and someone who had the same temperament as her fiance, Fourth Prince Zhu Di (future Emperor Yongle of Ming). Zhu Feng's gentleness, Zhu Di's arrogance all entered her heart, and entered the war for the throne between the sons and grandsons of the Zhu family. All at once, the court became very turbulent, Jiang Hu started stirring, and the harem was full of dangerous intrigue. Faced with power and love, what will she choose? In the end, who will acquire the power, and who will acquire the love?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The books on my list (except 华胥引,琅琊榜,**) focus quite a lot on the OTP.

**The books by 倾冷月 probably not as much, because her books are a wuxia genre. Although towards the end, it focuses on the OTP. E.g. 兰因璧月's OTP is first 相杀,then 相爱.

I actually haven't read that much Chinese novels, but I'll do my best to recommend. I haven't read all of Yun Zhong Ge/云中歌 (sequel to Da Mo Yao) but due to it being written by Tong Hua as well, it should focus on the OTP quite strongly. I would also recommend Bu Bu Jing Xin/步步惊心, if you haven't yet read the book.
    Thanks for your recommendation I think I will read Yun Zhong Ge. I have actually read half of Bu Bu Jing Xin but eventually gave up, perhaps I prefer my OTP to be single and not married LOL. :P Nevertheless, I'm gonna download Bu Bu Jing Xin (drama ver.) to watch and see why is it so highly rated by everyone. I don't really like the male leads but I think I will give it a try

Anyway, I'm so excited and can't wait for Da Mo Yao to come out! We have to wait for like... 10months+ T_T Hope Hu Ge can make a breakthrough from his normal good boy type and be a playful and faithful man=)

Glad you liked Three Lives Three Worlds. It's one of my favourites too. I cried in the second last chapter, where Ye Hua 'died'.
    click to show/hide spoilers
    Ye Hua is brought back alive in the last chapter. The actual ending of TLTW is happy.

In my opinion, 花落燕云梦 focuses quite a lot on the OTP (Tang Rui and Zhu Di) as well, but it's really 虐. The female lead in here also time travelled back, to the Ming Dynasty.

Plot:
    研究明史的现代才女林希,因为未婚夫飞机失事去世,选择殉情自杀。结果她的魂魄却飘逸穿越了时空,来到明朝 ,变成唐门圣女唐蕊。在这里,她遇到了貌似未婚夫的三皇子朱枫和神似未婚夫的四皇子朱棣。朱枫的温文、朱棣 的强取,都渐入她的心里,茫然中她卷入了朱家众皇子皇孙的皇位争夺战中。一时之间朝堂之上风起云涌,江湖之 中刀光剑影,后宫之中尔虞我诈。面对权力和爱情,面对阴谋与手腕,她将选择何去何从?最终权归何人,情又归 何处?
    Modern woman Lin Xi (who studies Ming history) chose to suicide because her fiance died due to a plane crash. Yet her soul time travelled back, and came to the Ming Dynasty, where she was the female saint Tang Rui, of the Tang family. Here, she met someone who appeared to bear a striking resemblance to her fiance (Third Prince, Zhu Feng) and someone who had the same temperament as her fiance, Fourth Prince Zhu Di (future Emperor Yongle of Ming). Zhu Feng's gentleness, Zhu Di's arrogance all entered her heart, and entered the war for the throne between the sons and grandsons of the Zhu family. All at once, the court became very turbulent, Jiang Hu started stirring, and the harem was full of dangerous intrigue. Faced with power and love, what will she choose? In the end, who will acquire the power, and who will acquire the love?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The books on my list (except 华胥引,琅琊榜,**) focus quite a lot on the OTP.

**The books by 倾冷月 probably not as much, because her books are a wuxia genre. Although towards the end, it focuses on the OTP. E.g. 兰因璧月's OTP is first 相杀,then 相爱.
    hi may i know where can i read a full version of 云中歌? thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by starberry View Post
    hi may i know where can i read a full version of 云中歌? thank you!
    I haven't gone through all the pages, but I believe this blog (http://guiquxicc.blog.hexun.com/68821215_d.html) provides the full version of Yun Zhong Ge (Volumes 1,2 and 3, possibly with "extra chapters" as well.)

I have to admit that I'm liking the DMY novel more than the BBJX novel. I loved it as a drama but I feel it's a bit to dense as a novel and it makes my emotions a bit too crowded. Maybe I look for different things in dramas and books, but it was a bit too much for me as written text. As for DMY, it just feels much more open when I read it; I can relax while still feeling the emotional experience. Reading it makes me smile and cry and I think it just all balances out as a novel. I'm not sure how it will work out as a drama but I just really love reading it.
    我是个疯子疯子疯子只爱你的疯子 你是个傻子傻子傻子傻的却好懂事
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

I haven't gone through all the pages, but I believe this blog (http://guiquxicc.blog.hexun.com/68821215_d.html) provides the full version of Yun Zhong Ge (Volumes 1,2 and 3, possibly with "extra chapters" as well.)
    Thank you H.Ge-C.Liu! Shall check it out over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Heiress View Post
    I have to admit that I'm liking the DMY novel more than the BBJX novel. I loved it as a drama but I feel it's a bit to dense as a novel and it makes my emotions a bit too crowded. Maybe I look for different things in dramas and books, but it was a bit too much for me as written text. As for DMY, it just feels much more open when I read it; I can relax while still feeling the emotional experience. Reading it makes me smile and cry and I think it just all balances out as a novel. I'm not sure how it will work out as a drama but I just really love reading it.
    I haven't read BBJX the novel but I've watched the drama. I've read abit of Yun Zhong Ge. I find that DMY is much easier to read to YZG. The characters in DMY more appealing so far. I like Jin Yu as a female lead (fiery and independent) compared to her daughter Yun Ge, who is the pure hearted sort of character. (Actually I find myself irritated by Yun Ge sometimes) Also in a way the male leads in DMY are less complicated than YZG. And there are more happy and straightfoward interactions between the lead characters in DMY. So far my favorite Tong Hua couple is Jin Yu and Huo Qu Bing!

I guess I'm totally in the minority here, but I can't stand Jin Yu at all. She's so full of herself and always bosses people around and laughs in their faces. I find her more arrogant than Huo Qubing at times. She drags people into danger and always needs to get her butt saved by HQB. I hate how she always punches and kicks people and animals. I don't care if it's supposed to be affectionate or not, but if I were a wolf, horse, or cow, I sure wouldn't want to be kicked by her.

Everyone has their own opinions about the leads after reading the book. Truth be told, my opinions are the opposite, as I don't really dislike any of the main characters in DMY.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tong Hua has republished Da Mo Yao (after 5 yrs of editing).
    Tong Hua's editors have translated DMY into: 'The Song of Desert'
    Chinese amazon: http://www.amazon.cn/%E5%A4%A7%E6%BC...0150966&sr=8-2
    Out soon:
    The second book of 山经海纪
    被时光掩埋的秘密 (Secrets hidden by time) new version.
    云中歌 (Song in the Clouds) new version.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/499b1668tw1dqdyds80cwj.jpg')

For all those who don't speak any Chinese( so few of us!) koalasplayground.com provides translation of the novel. She is currently
    at chapter 24. I've been reading my daily dose of the translation and can't wait for the rest! But I'm just wondering if HQB and YJ will get their happy ever after ending?

Quote Originally Posted by eunshil View Post
    For all those who don't speak any Chinese( so few of us!) koalasplayground.com provides translation of the novel. She is currently
    at chapter 24. I've been reading my daily dose of the translation and can't wait for the rest! But I'm just wondering if HQB and YJ will get their happy ever after ending?
    They definitely will.