• Wang Zi Wen as Qu Xiao Xiao
    • Yang Zi as Qiu Ying Ying -
    • Zu Feng (祖峰) as Qi Dian
    • Wang Kai as Doctor Zhao
    • Zhang Lu (张陆) as Wang Bai Chuan
    • Zhang Xiao Qian as Yao Bin
    • Qiao Xin (乔欣) as Guan Ju Er
    • Jin Dong as Tan Zong Ming

Synopsis: Story of 5 girls from aged 20 to thirties staying on the 22nd floor of Building Ode to Joy and their experience in love and work as an independent modern woman..

I believe this company that produced Nirvana in Fire is the same company producing this show and also the same directors. For more see wiki

For Character Breakdowns, check out Virtual Voyager's post here

there is a reason why i hardly post on this forum...i can spend 20mins typing out my thoughts on a particular show or issue and when I hit post, the damn forum says I am not logged in and my entire post is gone..happened again

so instead of retyping 20minutes review on the show and characters with spoilers...please do watch this show...its really good and after 13 episodes, I have become vested in their journey in discovering themselves and finding love...& i really need someone to bounce of ideas on who should go with whom!!

p.s: there's WANG KAI who's playing an adorable nerdish doctor who looks absolutely delicious in that white doctor's coat... you should totally check out how 1 of the girl drools over the doctor...

p.s.s: there's JIN DONG...whom I really really hope gets the girl!!!

hue hue hue ~ this drama is the best ^O^ all the girls are so unique and loveable!! The acting is great! The film crew too! The characters actually have weibo!! LOLOL yes love wang kai and jin dong after nirvana in fire~ <3 i was too curious so i read some spoilers ...there will be feels coming T___T

Quote Originally Posted by yannlc View Post
    there is a reason why i hardly post on this forum...i can spend 20mins typing out my thoughts on a particular show or issue and when I hit post, the damn forum says I am not logged in and my entire post is gone..happened again

so instead of retyping 20minutes review on the show and characters with spoilers...please do watch this show...its really good and after 13 episodes, I have become vested in their journey in discovering themselves and finding love...& i really need someone to bounce of ideas on who should go with whom!!

p.s: there's WANG KAI who's playing an adorable nerdish doctor who looks absolutely delicious in that white doctor's coat... you should totally check out how 1 of the girl drools over the doctor...

p.s.s: there's JIN DONG...whom I really really hope gets the girl!!!

Hey both, I watched a little of this mostly out of NIF nostalgia and I admit I'm not completely sold by the series, but it's been fun identifying actors that cross the two dramas.

One thing about Jin Dong's character- it doesn't seem like he wants to get the girl at all, nor does the girl want to be gotten. They seem like great friends- although I admit because I loved the characters Nihuang and LIn Chen, I'd be thrilled to see a drama where they 'end up together' Spoil me please if you know the ending? (In spoiler tags of course!)

Quote Originally Posted by starryblue View Post
    hue hue hue ~ this drama is the best ^O^ all the girls are so unique and loveable!! The acting is great! The film crew too! The characters actually have weibo!! LOLOL yes love wang kai and jin dong after nirvana in fire~ <3 i was too curious so i read some spoilers ...there will be feels coming T___T
    Starry blue! You can't say that & leave out the good stuff! !! Please share!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yanfeng View Post
    Hey both, I watched a little of this mostly out of NIF nostalgia and I admit I'm not completely sold by the series, but it's been fun identifying actors that cross the two dramas.

One thing about Jin Dong's character- it doesn't seem like he wants to get the girl at all, nor does the girl want to be gotten. They seem like great friends- although I admit because I loved the characters Nihuang and LIn Chen, I'd be thrilled to see a drama where they 'end up together' Spoil me please if you know the ending? (In spoiler tags of course!)
    Yanfeng

Can't remember where but I read that the girls have all signed up to film seasons 3 so if this is currently season 1, non of them might end up with the current guys shown....

As to the 2 current guys chasing Liu tao's character, I much prefer Jin Dong's character.

I am watching episode 19 & no longer can take it... just had to come post my thoughts on qi dian.

I do not like that character 1 bit. I find him so suffocating on screen & his actions aren't even towards me! Can't imagine how Andi can take it...

I mean it's Andi's intelligence & wit that supposedly attracted qi dian's interests but his actions towards her does not indicate that he thinks she's a smart person who can handle herself...

Jin Dong's character is the opposite of qi dian. He knows her character. I think he is too aware of Andi & is giving her 'space' and waiting for the moment she will approach him instead ...

meanwhile qi dian's hacking through her walls of defence without consideration for andi's feelings or psych...

I am so going to laugh if Andi chosess some other guy not yet on screen although it's rumoured that there's a FOURTH guy for her!!!

Hey Yannlc, thanks for the thoughts!

I'm with you so far on qi dian... I only watched one scene with him 'hacking' at An di's defenses and misliked how uncomfortable he made her. Not in a "challenging myself" way, but in a "I am suspicious that you are asserting things about me that seem to benefit you" way.

Maybe he's just super capable and all, but I'd rather An Di be with someone as nurturing and comfortable (ok, I know I seem to be describing a mom but still!) as Jin Dong's character. If there's more hijinks along the way (3 seasons and four guys... whew... An Di's got a hot love life me thinks.... ) that's ok with me.

Although I might be only watching selective episodes... do you guys know anyone recapping?

PS Ok, my main problem with Qi Dian is that he keeps asserting that An Di likes him, when all I can see from her is confusion... and discomfort. Why doesn't he back off? I get that An Di is sending mixed signals, but that's no reason to be aggressive... I just don't see the attraction, while at least with Jin Dong's character I get a lovely, comfortable at-least-friends vibe. Much. Better. Whew....

PPS I like the young sassy rich girls' statement "When I see (Wang Kai's character) he doesn't ahve to say anything and I just want to go up and kiss him!" Hahahaha... took the words right out of tens/hundreds of thousands of fan girls'/boys' mouths!
    Last edited by yanfeng; 04-28-16 at 05:03 AM.

there is a reason why i hardly post on this forum...i can spend 20mins typing out my thoughts on a particular show or issue and when I hit post, the damn forum says I am not logged in and my entire post is gone..happened again !!
    That just happened to me

I was going to write some spoilers I got to know from weibo etc. ..

Anyway I need to go out now so I retype the post later. Anyone can tell me how to put spoiler tags on the mobile website version?

I read spoilers

click to show/hide spoilers
    In the novel Andi ends up marrying neither Qi Dian nor Jin Dong's character but a 3rd guy- 包奕凡.

Whether the drama will follow the novel is unknown, particularly with a heavy weight like Jin Dong playing a character, but that's the novel ending for An Di.

My private fantasy is that Hu Ge is going to guest-star here, appear for 30 seconds in the last 5 min of the last series. An Di will take one look at him, they'll smile at each other and walk off to their happy-ever-after! (Yes, very much WTF ending, but would make Ode to Joy my favorite alternate ending to NIF!)

Oh yes, and while I'm ordering my fantasy ending could I also have the character that "Mu Qing" plays here, "Consort Jing",
    Jin Dong, and Wang Kai be smiling in the background as this happens?
    Last edited by yanfeng; 04-29-16 at 06:46 PM.

LOl this is such a slow moving show, but some how I am enjoying it! Qi Dian is an akward guy, believe it or not I know a few people with the same demnor, for some reason these type of people do end up with very pretty smart girls, and really does girls end up falling for them . Beats me! I kind think the actor is kinda cute lol, not the most handsome , but not ugly either.

Wow 3 season? Well I hope An Di gets more exciting pair in the future, JIn Dong and Qi Dian zzzzz. Also Ying Ying and GuanGuan story line is so boring!!

Is anyone still watching this show? Am overseas now & have no chance to catch up. Please please give me spoilers!!!
    Thanks

I love Bao Zhong! Is there a Season 2?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Charbydis
    Apparently there's 3 volumes to the novel. & I read somewhere that all the girls have signed up to act till season 3! Hopefully we will have season 2 soon!

Hey is the little girl that played Andy in the flashback , Liu Tao daughter? If so how cute is that! Will she be as good as her mom when she grows up?
    Last edited by IloveMimiLo; 05-22-16 at 02:35 AM.

Charbydis
    Apparently there's 3 volumes to the novel. & I read somewhere that all the girls have signed up to act till season 3! Hopefully we will have season 2 soon!
    Oh goodie! I used to avoid Mainland Chinese modern series but I am glad that the quality of the plot and cinematography is improving by leaps and bounds! I really do enjoy series like this which is not heavily dramatic, yet not too airy fairy or slapstick.

I wonder if Yang Shuo will stay on in the following seasons, since he is only named as a guest star in here. I would love to see more of him and I like his voice.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

this drama is pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Oh goodie! I used to avoid Mainland Chinese modern series but I am glad that the quality of the plot and cinematography is improving by leaps and bounds! I really do enjoy series like this which is not heavily dramatic, yet not too airy fairy or slapstick.

I wonder if Yang Shuo will stay on in the following seasons, since he is only named as a guest star in here. I would love to see more of him and I like his voice.
    haha me too~ I didn't really watch Mainland modern series either...not sure about the quality of mainland dramas improving ... but the director/producer is really good - the same as lang ya bang. What's funny is that the characters even made a weibo account! Well Wang Kai and Qu Yao Jing did HAHA so cute btw have any of you guys watched ai qing gong yu? there's an Ode to Joy - ai qing gong yu parody opening. Actually there's one for lang ya bang too LOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by starryblue View Post
    haha me too~ I didn't really watch Mainland modern series either...not sure about the quality of mainland dramas improving ... but the director/producer is really good - the same as lang ya bang. What's funny is that the characters even made a weibo account! Well Wang Kai and Qu Yao Jing did HAHA so cute btw have any of you guys watched ai qing gong yu? there's an Ode to Joy - ai qing gong yu parody opening. Actually there's one for lang ya bang too LOLOL
    I think you still need to be selective about Mainland Chinese series because but I do think the overall quality is improving. I had a lot of fun watching "Divorce Lawyers" last year.
    Cyril Connolly

this is actually even better than nirvana in fire, wow.

when is season 2?

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    this is actually even better than nirvana in fire, wow.

when is season 2?
    I actually prefer NIF, but i love OTJ as well. Season 2 is next year.