Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TRANSLATORS READ: Possible Translation Publication

Thanks for the effor RWX.

Keep us in the news.

1) You would need to contact the individual translators in order to use their translation, and this itself would be a big task.

2) You should get an English Lit major with chinese background to quarterback the editing process. The Trilogy by itself was translated to an acceptable standard, but there are clear unevenness in the quality and tone of the respective portion of the translation. To try to improve this would need a major effort as well.

3) The legal negotiations are potentially tricky with royalties issues for all the respective translator(s). Please ensure that they are included in the process.

Good Luck.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

This is very exciting.
    I felt that it was a pity that the wuxia works were unlikely to be officially translated, as they just aren't well enough known in the Englsh speaking community for it to make commercial sense. Some of my Chinese friends were astounded that I was reading them in translation..
    I'm glad to see Mr Cha et al will have an opportunity to benefit from the work of the unofficial translators, I've read all 12 volumes of the Condor Trilogy, but would buy the translation to do the right thing by him.
    I can see they would might need some polishing (in terms of standardization etc)... do you have any idea how long it would take to have a manuscript ready to present to Mr Cha?

Selfishly, I'd like to see DGSD published as well when it was finished.

Any updates on this?

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Any news on this? Is the project going forward at all?

Just wanted to again vocalize my support for this project, and tip my hat to RWX for handling it in such a professional manner as well as undertaking the hard work of getting things into publishable form. I agree, a publishable version will indeed require massive amounts of editing and retranslating. But this is the only way to get an English version that captures more than just the basic meaning of the original. A single translator must guide the style and flow of the final product, using their own skills as a writer to recreate the genius of Jin Yong in a new language. A crowd-sourced translation, while still doing a great service by making the work accessible, cannot properly do justice to the original as a complete work of art. Fortunately, this forum has someone like RWX, who understands this, and is willing to do the work necessary to get the job done. So, much respect, and I look forward to updates as the project proceeds!
    ”我不要最後才知道“ - 張震嶽

Sounds like a great project, albeit a massive one.

I'm in if you would like to use my translations (there's only a couple of chapters in HSDS really).

Frantasy Land, CA AKA / Alias / Pen Name: Frantasy Honorary Title: 蓝莲花

This sounds great and thank you for your efforts, RWX.

I am in as well if you would like my small part in Bordertown Wanderer. I do not speak for all the translator, but I will have to assume that we all translated without the tought of any monetary gains. For me, it was a hobby and something for the fans of the genre to enjoy. I think it would be great just to be given credit where it is due.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by BluLotus; 05-10-12 at 03:34 PM.

I'm curious about this too, especially since I would love to read these translations on my Kindle, much easier than on screen or trying to print out the stories.