Thread: 宫or 步步惊心?

Default 宫or 步步惊心?

I would just like to collect everyones opinion on gong and bu bu jing xin, i have watched both and i think they are all really good. which one does everyone think is better?

hmm.... I prefer Bu bu

I like both for very different reasons. Bu Bu has a better storyline/costumes/sets, but I also love the chemistry between FengMi. However, I despise Gong's YongZheng. I hated his characterization and the fact he sorta turned himself into Casanova to seize the throne. I bet the historical YongZheng would want to rise up from the dead if he found his Machiavellian scheming became a game to seduce women to do his misdeeds. I totally did not watch Gong for the storyline and onscreen portrayal of the 9 Princes Battle for the Throne.
    Need to stop being lazy...

Gong is like candies and cakes - decorative and look good on the eyes but not nutritious-, while BBJX is like a mature wine or a seasoned delicacy.
    The only thing Gong has going on is FengMi chemistry. I first tried out Gong because I was bored/procrastinating and there was no other series worth watching. I was about to give up 4 episodes in but then the FengMi chemistry picked up as 8th prince pursues QC. LOL. It's like Boys Before Flowers in Qing. So I watched 35 episodes just to watch FSF and YM. They are so cute! Of course, I jumped around and only watched their scenes.

BBJX: Gosh, How I love thee!
    When I watch BBJX, I want to treasure and breathe in every moments. There were no fillers and the plot is so intricate and layered. The characters are real and lovable. There were no "bad" guys or "good" guys. BBJX has philosophical musings: the many kinds love (passionate, romantic, innocent, platonic, love beyond life/death, paternal, fraternal, sisterly, gratitude, class divided...), does the cause justify the end? (4th repeatedly hurt RX by killing people that matter to her. He had reasonable reasons. But does that justify the end result of killing those that she cares about? Both sides is right from both perspectives. And that was why RX was in such a dilemma.), man/woman love vs other kinds of necessary love and personal ethics, etc. Also the cinematography is lovely and the music is evocative. And of course, the army of hot guys. Gong on has one eye candy, FSF.

Mao Zi Jun was pretty hot too. I wanted Su Yan to forget about 4th prince and move on to 14th prince. Unfortunately, Love doesn't work like that and you can't choose who you love. Also, Su Yan did learn her lesson at the end and she did realize that it was her own fault and she built her own cage.

The thing with Ruoxi is that I find her extremely realistic, perhaps the most realistic female lead I have seen in a good while, but i am not sure I find her likable - she is much too cautious and self-interested. To do the inevitable JPLH comparison, I adore Qing Chuan to bits, much more than I do Ruoxi - she will do what she thinks is right and sticks to those she loves, even if it will cost her head and will do it without thinking twice (remember the bit near the end when she told Four she will be his mistress if he spares Eight's life? And then treated him like dirt telling him his bargain only bought him her body? I cannot see Ruoxi doing something like that ever, whoever was involved). She is not wrong or bad or anything - QC's way will get one quickly and gruesomely executed if it was a more realistic take on the Qing. But, any way you put it, it's not what I am conditioned to expect from my heroines. It is good writing and acting but it makes it hard to really root for one person over other.

BBJX is indubitably the better drama, not to mention more realistic, but I confess to loving JPLH more because it has a more traditional narrative (think shoujo with some romance novel stuff) and because Eight and Qing Chuan is my favorite couple of the year. I haven't been this obsessed with a couple for a long time. The fact that Yang Mi and Feng Shao Feng have ridiculously insane chemistry helps. Yes, I am one of the crazy FengMi shippers - I have no opinion on rl hookups or anything but I believe they should be ordered to star together in perpetuity.

I adored Jade Palace Lock Heart and it will always be a favorite, but I have room for BBJX too and, tbh, I cannot compare the two - similar plots they may have, but the execution makes them so different, any comparison is impossible.

For those who have watched Jade Palace Lock Heart, the set-up is startlingly familiar (though here her OTP is Four). A lot of people I've seen who love BBJX are people who really disliked JPLH. I am here to assure my fellow JPLH lovers that it is possible to love both. Because I do. The thing is, despite the similar plot, the story itself is very different. JPLH made me think of a cracky, shippy, giddy shoujo manga. BBJX is an introspective period piece. Each has a place in my heart. Both have strong heroines, gorgeous men (though as a Feng Shao Feng fangirl, even all the princes in BBJX put together do not trump him for me :P). If you want a more traditional love story, JPLH is the better bet (BBJX gets very messy and appropriately period-complicated). But BBJX is so very smart and subtle and nuanced and gorgeous. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
    http://dangermousie.livejournal.com/...20lock%20heart

I find for some reason that bu bu and gong are extremely alike.... their both timetravelling series and have a lot of similarities, i don't get it, how can they be so alike, did someone copy someone, does anyone have any background information and what are everyone's favourite characters in these two series???

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/bubujingxinposter.jpg/sr=1')
    never seen this poster before.... is it official??

how do u get pics on, seems like i cant.....

The genre of Qing Chuan (timetravel to the Qing period) has been popular among internet novels for several years now. Bu Bu Jing Xin was written by Tong Hua and was one of the first novels in this genre. It was published online in 2005, and due to its popularity was published in print in 2006. There are a lot of Qing Chuan novels online, some good, and some not so good. Bu Bu Jing Xin is considered one of the best and one of the defining novels in this genre (one of the three 'founding novels'). It is hugely popular online and has a vast readership. The rights for a TV series production was sold to Tang Ren in 2009.

The script of Gong was written by Yu Zheng in 2010, filming and production was complete within two months and so was broadcasted in early 2011.

On the other hand, despite having bought the production rights in 2009, Tang Ren didn't start filming Bu Bu Jing Xin until end of 2010, and filming/production took several months. Hence BBJX broadcasted after Gong, and lost the title of being the first Qing Chuan drama TV series, despite being the original story.

In terms of copying, I don't want to say that Gong copied BBJX, since in my opinion, that would be degrading BBJX. All I can say is that given that the novel was written so long ago, there is no way that BBJX could have copied Gong. Yu Zheng, on the other hand, had five years to copy if he so desired.

I would like to add the following points though:
    1. Yu Zheng is well known for plagiarising. I don't think there's a single TV series that he has produced which has in some way, not been found to be a copy of something else.
    2. I have heard that Yu Zheng wanted to buy the rights to Bu Bu Jing Xin, but Tong Hua had already sold it to Tang Ren. Given the great haste with which Gong was written and produced, one could only assume that he was trying to get it out before BBJX, so that it would be the first Qing Chuan drama.
    3. In my opinion, I don't think Gong plagiarized BBJX, if he did, then obviously he didn't do a very good job, considering the absolute absurdity of the plot of Gong. Overall, I think Gong took the basic structure from the general Qing Chuan genre and then copied the details from Meteor Garden.

As you may be able to tell, I'm a huge BBJX fan (have been a fan of the novel since 2007), and intensely dislike Gong. I have nothing against the actors, my dislike is mainly targeted towards the ridiculous storyline and Yu Zheng in general.

Hope this clarifies the situation.
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

Quote Originally Posted by LiYuanZhi View Post
    The genre of Qing Chuan (timetravel to the Qing period) has been popular among internet novels for several years now. Bu Bu Jing Xin was written by Tong Hua and was one of the first novels in this genre. It was published online in 2005, and due to its popularity was published in print in 2006. There are a lot of Qing Chuan novels online, some good, and some not so good. Bu Bu Jing Xin is considered one of the best and one of the defining novels in this genre (one of the three 'founding novels'). It is hugely popular online and has a vast readership. The rights for a TV series production was sold to Tang Ren in 2009.

The script of Gong was written by Yu Zheng in 2010, filming and production was complete within two months and so was broadcasted in early 2011.

On the other hand, despite having bought the production rights in 2009, Tang Ren didn't start filming Bu Bu Jing Xin until end of 2010, and filming/production took several months. Hence BBJX broadcasted after Gong, and lost the title of being the first Qing Chuan drama TV series, despite being the original story.

In terms of copying, I don't want to say that Gong copied BBJX, since in my opinion, that would be degrading BBJX. All I can say is that given that the novel was written so long ago, there is no way that BBJX could have copied Gong. Yu Zheng, on the other hand, had five years to copy if he so desired.

I would like to add the following points though:
    1. Yu Zheng is well known for plagiarising. I don't think there's a single TV series that he has produced which has in some way, not been found to be a copy of something else.
    2. I have heard that Yu Zheng wanted to buy the rights to Bu Bu Jing Xin, but Tong Hua had already sold it to Tang Ren. Given the great haste with which Gong was written and produced, one could only assume that he was trying to get it out before BBJX, so that it would be the first Qing Chuan drama.
    3. In my opinion, I don't think Gong plagiarized BBJX, if he did, then obviously he didn't do a very good job, considering the absolute absurdity of the plot of Gong. Overall, I think Gong took the basic structure from the general Qing Chuan genre and then copied the details from Meteor Garden.

As you may be able to tell, I'm a huge BBJX fan (have been a fan of the novel since 2007), and intensely dislike Gong. I have nothing against the actors, my dislike is mainly targeted towards the ridiculous storyline and Yu Zheng in general.

Hope this clarifies the situation.
    I get it now, thanks for the info, so yu zheng is well know for plagiarising, never knew that..... just wondering....
    is there a sequel to bu bu jing xin because i read somewhere that there was a sequel written by tong hua, not sure if it's true though..

Man, I want to write a long reply but I'm sleepy now so I'll keep it short. I watched Gong in July and BBJX as soon as it aired. I thought I liked Gong, but psh.. I love BBJX to death!

it really depends, Gong was enjoyable and a stress reliever since the storyline wasn't complex, really shoujo-ish and well, it wasn't exactly original since it's basically the same storyline as Hana Yori Dango/BBF but in a chinese setting in ancient era. to be honest, the only reason i watched it was becuz of the fsf and ym's chemistry...mickey he's yongzheng sucks and his acting wasn't memorable.

bbjx is hardcore, you would not skip the scenes because every part is significant and contributes to the plot but wow, it's a tear jerker. the plot is original, actors are superb, costumes are beautiful and the songs matches the relationships between the characters so well. definitely shipping bbjx.