Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Legendary Book of Sun-Moon Swordplay - The Prequel

HOLY COW! You actually went back to edit all the chapters?! I can imagine how long it took you, Mel. Geesh, it's gonna take you forever to tackle over 80 chapters . Are we close to the end of Legendary Book? If yes, then I suggest, continuing with the present tense, then later when you have time, you can slowly edit.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    HOLY COW! You actually went back to edit all the chapters?! I can imagine how long it took you, Mel. Geesh, it's gonna take you forever to tackle over 80 chapters . Are we close to the end of Legendary Book? If yes, then I suggest, continuing with the present tense, then later when you have time, you can slowly edit.
    Yea, the revision took a bit longer than I originally thought it would. But that's ok. I think, overall, writing in the conventional past tense does make the story flow better and seem less like a screenplay. However, I do know that there are some good novels out there written in the present tense. In my case though, probably sticking with tradition is better. If I were some renowned author, breaking a few rules would be ok, but as a novice writer, I guess I should stick with the conventional past tense to avoid making readers uncomfortable.

Do I detect a hint of worry in your tone, tweety? Are you afraid that I will abandon updating the original story for the sake of revising the tense of the story? Don't worry; I won't do that to you and others following Legendary Book. I will probably start the upcoming chapter in the past tense and then just leisurely go back and change the tense in the prior 80 chapters as time permits. And yes, Legendary Book is coming to an end. If possible, I would like to keep it to no more than 100 chapters long. The next chapter is almost done.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Care to share your Chinese poems? Of course, you'll have to translate them for me.
    No problem! Here are a few of my poems. I prefer 8 characters per line. The last poem is my favorite because every line rhymes.

深冬残月清丽如梦
    寒风刺骨缠绵永夜
    飘雪伴随花舞绝艳
    悲望满目凋谢容颜

The crescent moon in deep winter is clear and exquisite like a dream
    The freezing wind pierces the bones and lingers in the eternal night
    Drifting snowflakes accompany dancing blossoms in unmatched splendor
    I gaze forlornly at withering beauty that fills the eyes in every direction

陪君斟饮数杯梅酒
    嫣笑心醉恶意未觉
    毒簪耀眼插入秀发
    袖中匕首一刃夺命

She pours and drinks several cups of plum wine with the lord
    Her captivating smile renders him oblivious of her ill intentions
    A poisoned hairpin sparkles in her elegant hair
    The dagger in her sleeve can claim his life in one strike

英雄血汗,全心付出。
    刀剑为伴,江山为家。
    侠道之苦,执着到底。

The hero wholeheartedly expends his own blood and sweat.
    The sword is his companion, the rivers and mountains his home.
    He persists on the bitter path of chivalry until the very end.

绝亮星星难得一见,
    墨黑夜空才愿露面。
    宁愿一时辉煌火焰,
    不做一世反光宝鉴。

The brightest stars are only willing to show themselves in the darkest night sky.
    Better to be a moment's splendid flame than a lifetime's reflecting mirror.

You don't like mythology?

What is YA fiction? Young adult fiction? Some of the English young adult fiction, like the Twilight series, are somewhat sexually charged. I haven't read any of them (and don't plan to), but after watching some of the movies, I assume there is sexual content in the novels from which the movies are based on.
    Oh, I love mythology, and my current short story will be infused with shamanism. It's just that I felt like the book didn't really represent traditional wuxia, even though it was labeled as an English breakthrough in the genre.

Yep, young adult fiction. Haha, the Twilight novels (at least 1-3) are pretty tame. I think I read the first book in 9th grade, but I never read the last book. Meanwhile, Silver Phoenix/Fury of the Phoenix really gets out of hand. I think it's ridiculous to waste words on describing how the barely 16-year-old heroine gets groped by every random guy she encounters on her typical hero's journey. The main villain of the stories, an immortal eunuch, speaks so dirty that it’s cringe-worthy.

I just read the first few pages of your story! It's awesome! I don't know what other word to use for it. I'm usually very polite when I comment on other people's works, but rarely do I get excited about a story. Since we're on the topic of wuxia stories written in English, I would like to say that Burning Clouds definitely more than adequately conveys that "wuxia feel." Ah! I especially love your description of the zither playing! How long is this story? You should publish it and make some money!
    Aww, thank you so much! Gao Jianli doesn't even know any martial arts, but he sure does epitomize the hero. Part 1 is about 5,000 words, and I haven't written the rest of it yet, but in total it should be about 10,000 words. I hope to include it in the anthology.

An anthology of short stories? Thank you for asking! I'm very honored that you asked. Are the stories in the anthology going to be interrelated? It sounds like such fun! But I don't have any short stories. Plus, I'll be very honest here. I have a low opinion of my writing skills. I don't want to be the one bad apple in the barrel and ruin the anthology. If you and your friends are not afraid of my potential bad apple effect, then I'd be happy to consider the invitation depending on how much time I have.
    Nope, the stories will be standalone, but if you contribute more than one, I'm sure they can be related. It would be fantastic if you could try out a short story! It might even take you less time than writing a normal chapter. You’ll be the best apple in the barrel!

Black Rose: (in response to Mimi) Not true! Ha ha ha! Something naughty DID happen between Black Rose and Sit Chung Nam in that cave! Sit Chung Nam showed her his family jewels but she was just too polite to investigate!

Yea, I choked when I read Black Rose's comment about SCN's "family jewels" in the nude scene.
    HAHAHAHA. I forgot about what happened in the cave, so I took the “family jewels” remark seriously at first.

I used to be nuts about Yuan Hong, too! I thought he was so sexy in LOCH 08 and Young Warriors of the Yang Clan. However, my interest in him faded a bit after I saw his bare chest. He's pretty thin.
    Haha, I’ve never seen Yuan Hong’s bare chest. Maybe that’s a good thing. At first I hated his role in Young Warriors of the Yang Clan and stopped watching after about a dozen episodes, but my friend tried to change my mind and made me finish the series. By then, I was madly in love with him. His character is based on a historical Khitan general, Yelü Xiezhen, who is actually the male protagonist of my novel.

I saw a play the other day based on Christie's novel Ten Little Indians. I have not read that story before and loved the twist in the plot when I saw the play!

I haven't read Sparkling Cyanide before. I'm going to look for it at the library or maybe they might have an e-book for loan! I used to have a lot more time to read, but now, I'm just too busy.
    Oh, I loved And Then There Were None (the republished title of Ten Little Indians). Such a thriller! I thought it was the best work I had ever read in middle school. I really like the heroine in Sparkling Cyanide, so I definitely recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaari View Post
    No problem! Here are a few of my poems. I prefer 8 characters per line. The last poem is my favorite because every line rhymes.

深冬残月清丽如梦
    寒风刺骨缠绵永夜
    飘雪伴随花舞绝艳
    悲望满目凋谢容颜

The crescent moon in deep winter is clear and exquisite like a dream
    The freezing wind pierces the bones and lingers in the eternal night
    Drifting snowflakes accompany dancing blossoms in unmatched splendor
    I gaze forlornly at withering beauty that fills the eyes in every direction

陪君斟饮数杯梅酒
    嫣笑心醉恶意未觉
    毒簪耀眼插入秀发
    袖中匕首一刃夺命

She pours and drinks several cups of plum wine with the lord
    Her captivating smile renders him oblivious of her ill intentions
    A poisoned hairpin sparkles in her elegant hair
    The dagger in her sleeve can claim his life in one strike

英雄血汗,全心付出。
    刀剑为伴,江山为家。
    侠道之苦,执着到底。

The hero wholeheartedly expends his own blood and sweat.
    The sword is his companion, the rivers and mountains his home.
    He persists on the bitter path of chivalry until the very end.

绝亮星星难得一见,
    墨黑夜空才愿露面。
    宁愿一时辉煌火焰,
    不做一世反光宝鉴。

The brightest stars are only willing to show themselves in the darkest night sky.
    Better to be a moment's splendid flame than a lifetime's reflecting mirror.
    I pasted your Chinese poems onto Google Translate because Google Translate had a function where it will read the words out loud in Mandarin. The poems sounded so elegant to my ears but I had no clue what they meant. Thankfully, you translated them for me. My favorite poems are the first and last. The words are so beautifully used to describe the stars, the moon, the wind, and yet these two poems carry a tinge of melancholy, so lovely yet so sad. I love it!

Are the 2nd and 3rd poems used in your stories?

Oh, I love mythology, and my current short story will be infused with shamanism.

Aww, thank you so much! Gao Jianli doesn't even know any martial arts, but he sure does epitomize the hero. Part 1 is about 5,000 words, and I haven't written the rest of it yet, but in total it should be about 10,000 words. I hope to include it in the anthology.
    Whoa! How many stories are you writing? You're quite impressive! I can hardly find time to write a chapter and keep up with my stories.

Nope, the stories will be standalone, but if you contribute more than one, I'm sure they can be related. It would be fantastic if you could try out a short story! It might even take you less time than writing a normal chapter. You’ll be the best apple in the barrel!
    I doubt I will be the best apple in the barrel. I will settle for not being the rotten apple. When is the deadline to turn in the stories? I doubt I will have time to write a short story, but just for kicks, when is the deadline?

HAHAHAHA. I forgot about what happened in the cave, so I took the “family jewels” remark seriously at first.
    You really thought SCN was showing Yan his prized jewels from his family vault, literally?

Haha, I’ve never seen Yuan Hong’s bare chest. Maybe that’s a good thing. At first I hated his role in Young Warriors of the Yang Clan and stopped watching after about a dozen episodes, but my friend tried to change my mind and made me finish the series. By then, I was madly in love with him. His character is based on a historical Khitan general, Yelü Xiezhen, who is actually the male protagonist of my novel.
    That's interesting! I didn't know Yuan Hong's character was based on a real historical person! Hmmm... Again, sheesh, how many stories are you writing?

I'm just too shallow. I like my men with handsome faces and with decent muscular builds. I hear Wallace Chung buffs up a bit for some of his roles and if he needs to film something bare-chested in his music videos. Plus, Wallace is looking tanner these days, which I prefer to pale faces like Yuan Hong's... Still, Yuan Hong is really hot in villain roles and can still make my heart flip.

I pasted your Chinese poems onto Google Translate because Google Translate had a function where it will read the words out loud in Mandarin. The poems sounded so elegant to my ears but I had no clue what they meant. Thankfully, you translated them for me. My favorite poems are the first and last. The words are so beautifully used to describe the stars, the moon, the wind, and yet these two poems carry a tinge of melancholy, so lovely yet so sad. I love it!

Are the 2nd and 3rd poems used in your stories?
    Aww, thank you! My 2nd and 3rd poem translations are so awkward compared to the originals, haha. My favorite line is about the dagger in the pretty assassin's sleeve. I haven't used any of my poems in my stories at all, but I'm liking your suggestion.

I doubt I will be the best apple in the barrel. I will settle for not being the rotten apple. When is the deadline to turn in the stories? I doubt I will have time to write a short story, but just for kicks, when is the deadline?
    Everyone will probably take at least two months, so no hurry! You can join our preliminary discussions by registering at http://xiaoshuo.genreverse.com/forum, and then you'll be added to a private subforum.

You really thought SCN was showing Yan his prized jewels from his family vault, literally?
    Hey now. Making fun of me already? I have slow reactions when it comes to flirting. I take back what I said about not being so bad about writing flirty scenes. My poor heroine didn't get the hints anyway, and the male protagonist will be gone for like 20 more chapters...oh I'm cruel. But he has to share the "male protagonist" spotlight with three other guys over the course of the next 13 years in my story, mwahaha.

That's interesting! I didn't know Yuan Hong's character was based on a real historical person! Hmmm... Again, sheesh, how many stories are you writing?

I'm just too shallow. I like my men with handsome faces and with decent muscular builds. I hear Wallace Chung buffs up a bit for some of his roles and if he needs to film something bare-chested in his music videos. Plus, Wallace is looking tanner these days, which I prefer to pale faces like Yuan Hong's... Still, Yuan Hong is really hot in villain roles and can still make my heart flip.
    Haha, you're a way more prolific writer than me. I've only completed one wuxia short story, I'm halfway through the Gao Jianli story, and I barely started my current (long) story. And in two years, I've only written 13 chapters of my novel! What terrible progress!

Talking

Aww, thank you! My 2nd and 3rd poem translations are so awkward compared to the originals, haha. My favorite line is about the dagger in the pretty assassin's sleeve. I haven't used any of my poems in my stories at all, but I'm liking your suggestion.
    Actually, I don't think the 2nd and 3rd poem translations are awkward at all! I think all your poem translations are beautifully and eloquently done. It's just that I simply adore poems about nature's beauty and delicacy. Upon a second reading of your poems, I am developing a fondness for the 2nd poem, as well. The description of the female assassin is beautifully done, from her captivating smile to the sparkle of her poisonous hairpin. It reminds me of those ancient dramas in which a lovely maiden is sent in to enthrall and mesmerize the evil emperor...and then...BAM! She whacks him!

Everyone will probably take at least two months, so no hurry! You can join our preliminary discussions by registering at http://xiaoshuo.genreverse.com/forum, and then you'll be added to a private subforum.
    Thanks. I will check out the link as soon as I get the chance. By the way, have you cleared your invitation with the other members contributing to the anthology? I don't want you to get stuck in an uncomfortable situation with the other members by inviting me in.

Hey now. Making fun of me already? I have slow reactions when it comes to flirting. I take back what I said about not being so bad about writing flirty scenes. My poor heroine didn't get the hints anyway, and the male protagonist will be gone for like 20 more chapters...oh I'm cruel. But he has to share the "male protagonist" spotlight with three other guys over the course of the next 13 years in my story, mwahaha.
    Actually, I had the same problem with my first story, too. My heroine seemed oblivious to the hero's adoration. The hero in that story, unlike SCN, was too gentlemanly to scream his love for her into her face. And so for many chapters, he kept trying to drop hints through his actions, but she just seemed oblivious.

Your story spans 13 years? So there are 4 male protagonists and 1 female lead? I have a feeling this is going to be one big poignant love pentagonal relationship that will end in tragedy. It never ends well with so many men loving one woman. The men will either kill each other first rather than share their lady love or the guy that the female lead REALLY loves will graciously back out of the relationship, leaving her with the 3 other guys whom she doesn't love.

Haha, you're a way more prolific writer than me. I've only completed one wuxia short story, I'm halfway through the Gao Jianli story, and I barely started my current (long) story. And in two years, I've only written 13 chapters of my novel! What terrible progress!
    Writing should be fun and should never be rushed. I tell myself that all the time whenever I take forever to update the chapter. However, my spirits do plummet when the majority of my readers move on due to the long dry periods with no updates.

There are only a few readers who have tagged along with me over the last decade, through thick and thin. Tweety is one such reader. There are a few more loyal ones, but lately, even those readers have disappeared.

Actually, I don't think the 2nd and 3rd poem translations are awkward at all! I think all your poem translations are beautifully and eloquently done. It's just that I simply adore poems about nature's beauty and delicacy. Upon a second reading of your poems, I am developing a fondness for the 2nd poem, as well. The description of the female assassin is beautifully done, from her captivating smile to the sparkle of her poisonous hairpin. It reminds me of those ancient dramas in which a lovely maiden is sent in to enthrall and mesmerize the evil emperor...and then...BAM! She whacks him!
    Thanks for all your praise. I'm getting all blushy now. I love myths like the tale of how Lü Siniang assassinated Emperor Yongzheng of the Qing Dynasty. Highly unlikely, but oh-so-deliciously-interesting! I think it's even cooler if the female assassin is deceptively ladylike instead of an outright warrior.

Thanks. I will check out the link as soon as I get the chance. By the way, have you cleared your invitation with the other members contributing to the anthology? I don't want you to get stuck in an uncomfortable situation with the other members by inviting me in.
    We're all happy to have you join!

Actually, I had the same problem with my first story, too. My heroine seemed oblivious to the hero's adoration. The hero in that story, unlike SCN, was too gentlemanly to scream his love for her into her face. And so for many chapters, he kept trying to drop hints through his actions, but she just seemed oblivious.

Your story spans 13 years? So there are 4 male protagonists and 1 female lead? I have a feeling this is going to be one big poignant love pentagonal relationship that will end in tragedy. It never ends well with so many men loving one woman. The men will either kill each other first rather than share their lady love or the guy that the female lead REALLY loves will graciously back out of the relationship, leaving her with the 3 other guys whom she doesn't love. (
    Haha, my flirty character isn't a gentleman, but my witty heroine takes things too seriously (like me ) and doesn't notice.

Hmm...the first few chapters take place during 976-979 A.D. (heroine is 8-11 years old), and then we move onto 986-999 A.D. (heroine is 18-31 years old, during which 90% of the story takes place), and finally a few scenes from then until 1012 A.D., which marks the end.

Oh man, well none of the men are really clamoring for her attention, haha. My heroine's gonna have to earn her happy ending. Guy #1 rejects her (after 9 years - he's known her since she was 11) and marries someone he doesn't love, guy #2 is a total player who used to hate her, started to develop feelings, was rejected, and eventually gives up, guy #3 is rejected (after 7 years of being her boss) and marries someone he loves more, and the last guy (the flirty one) finally gets to live out a happily ever after. WHEW. Their biggest flaws: #1 isn't loving, #2 isn't faithful, #3 isn't kind, and #4 isn't rich/powerful (status demoted). Thank goodness she made the right choice! I think there are a total of only two confrontations between any of them about the heroine, so no crazy fights.

Writing should be fun and should never be rushed. I tell myself that all the time whenever I take forever to update the chapter. However, my spirits do plummet when the majority of my readers move on due to the long dry periods with no updates.

There are only a few readers who have tagged along with me over the last decade, through thick and thin. Tweety is one such reader. There are a few more loyal ones, but lately, even those readers have disappeared.
    I don't think there's anyone slower than me at cranking out words. I may be stuck on a paragraph for an entire hour...and then go back and edit it for another hour.

Tweety is so awesome to cheer you on with her hilarious comments! I'll read your main story as soon as I go on spring break!
    Last edited by Xaari; 02-29-12 at 11:31 PM.

Talking

Thanks for all your praise.
    The praise is well deserved, or else I would have just given you a polite, "Great job!" I usually don't elaborate unless I'm impressed.

I love myths like the tale of how Lü Siniang assassinated Emperor Yongzheng of the Qing Dynasty. Highly unlikely, but oh-so-deliciously-interesting!
    I'm not a Chinese history buff, but in some dramas, he married her or had an affair with her, right? Was that love connection a myth, too?

I think it's even cooler if the female assassin is deceptively ladylike instead of an outright warrior.
    Most men, I assume, prefer a feminine, dainty, beautiful woman. At least, in wuxia times, they did, I think. It would be kind of hard for a muscular warrior princess to seduce the evil court official or emperor. Besides, never judge a book by its cover. It's always the demure, daintily pretty ones who are the most lethal.

We're all happy to have you join!
    Thanks! I will check out the site when I get the chance, although I seriously doubt that I will have the time or creativity to whip out a short story in a few months. But it'll be fun to check out the site. Thanks again for the invitation. I'm honored.

Haha, my flirty character isn't a gentleman, but my witty heroine takes things too seriously (like me) and doesn't notice.
    I'm pretty oblivious myself. A guy usually has to get in my face and tell me directly that he's interested in me romantically for me to get the message. Otherwise, I'll just ignore him and go about my business. I've always made it a rule never to like a guy unless he's interested in me first. Why waste my time trying to catch someone who may or may not like me? It's always easier if he's interested first.

Hmm...the first few chapters take place during 976-979 A.D. (heroine is 8-11 years old), and then we move onto 986-999 A.D. (heroine is 18-31 years old, during which 90% of the story takes place), and finally a few scenes from then until 1012 A.D., which marks the end.

Oh man, well none of the men are really clamoring for her attention, haha. My heroine's gonna have to earn her happy ending. Guy #1 rejects her (after 9 years - he's known her since she was 11) and marries someone he doesn't love, guy #2 is a total player who used to hate her, started to develop feelings, was rejected, and eventually gives up, guy #3 is rejected (after 7 years of being her boss) and marries someone he loves more, and the last guy (the flirty one) finally gets to live out a happily ever after. WHEW. Their biggest flaws: #1 isn't loving, #2 isn't faithful, #3 isn't kind, and #4 isn't rich/powerful (status demoted). Thank goodness she made the right choice! I think there are a total of only two confrontations between any of them about the heroine, so no crazy fights.
    Your poor heroine! It seems like she has a string of bad luck until finally hitting the jackpot. I sort of like #4 protagonist, even though I don't like men who flirt indiscriminately with every breathing woman. However, if he only teases and flirts with the heroine, then it's ok. Power and status are overrated anyway. He will still be prince charming if he truly loves the heroine and treats her well. #1, #2, and #3 protagonists sound like jerks, but sadly, these types of guys are probably more realistic than the handsome, humorous, and romantic heroes found in stories and dramas.

Wow, compared to your #1, #2, #3 guys, SCN sounds like prince charming, bandit or not! SCN may not be perfect, but at least the guy has a sense of humor and so far seems faithful and loving. He does have a mean streak, though, as he likes to kill people (other than Yan) who don't agree with him.

Are you going to give your heroine the most "novel time" with #4 guy? I must say I get confused and frustrated with stories and dramas that have the main character spending the bulk of his/her time with one love interest and then suddenly falling in love with some other person in the last 15 minutes of the story...

I don't think there's anyone slower than me at cranking out words. I may be stuck on a paragraph for an entire hour...and then go back and edit it for another hour.
    The actual writing of the paragraphs doesn't slow me down. Rather, I have problems with coming up with ideas for what happens next in the story. I suppose if I planned everything out, this wouldn't be a problem, but unfortunately, planning is just not my style. Maybe if I were a professional writer, I would have time to plan.

Tweety is so awesome to cheer you on with her hilarious comments! I'll read your main story as soon as I go on spring break!
    Tweety is like the little train that never stops going, "CHOO CHOO!" She'll keep chugging along, prodding me to continue writing until she sees the ending of the story. Thanks, tweety! (I suspect tweety doesn't like loose ends and just wants to know who lives and who dies in the story. Ha.)

Thanks for giving my main story a try. There's no rush, as the story will probably still be around for another few years with the slow pace I'm going. Personally, I think the main story has a lot more flaws than this one, since it was written so long ago. My writing style has changed quite a bit since then. Also, the main story has a lot more characters running around, which is confusing and also compromises character development. Surprisingly, there are a considerable number of people who like the main story more than the prequel. They were quite resistant to my creation of a prequel a few months ago and expressed through email that they wanted me to focus on the main story.

I'm not a Chinese history buff, but in some dramas, he married her or had an affair with her, right? Was that love connection a myth, too?
    Haha, I've never seen any dramas featuring her. In myth, she was the actual mother of Qianlong but wasn't made empress. I don't believe it though.

Thanks! I will check out the site when I get the chance, although I seriously doubt that I will have the time or creativity to whip out a short story in a few months. But it'll be fun to check out the site. Thanks again for the invitation. I'm honored.
    Okie dokie! Maybe one day an idea will hit you and BAM, your fingers will be itching to write a short story.

I'm pretty oblivious myself. A guy usually has to get in my face and tell me directly that he's interested in me romantically for me to get the message. Otherwise, I'll just ignore him and go about my business. I've always made it a rule never to like a guy unless he's interested in me first. Why waste my time trying to catch someone who may or may not like me? It's always easier if he's interested first.
    I’m a drooler and that’s that. I don’t expect to wait for the stars to fall from the sky, haha. But I won’t throw myself at their feet either.

Your poor heroine! It seems like she has a string of bad luck until finally hitting the jackpot. I sort of like #4 protagonist, even though I don't like men who flirt indiscriminately with every breathing woman. However, if he only teases and flirts with the heroine, then it's ok. Power and status are overrated anyway. He will still be prince charming if he truly loves the heroine and treats her well. #1, #2, and #3 protagonists sound like jerks, but sadly, these types of guys are probably more realistic than the handsome, humorous, and romantic heroes found in stories and dramas.

Wow, compared to your #1, #2, #3 guys, SCN sounds like prince charming, bandit or not! SCN may not be perfect, but at least the guy has a sense of humor and so far seems faithful and loving. He does have a mean streak, though, as he likes to kill people (other than Yan) who don't agree with him.

Are you going to give your heroine the most "novel time" with #4 guy? I must say I get confused and frustrated with stories and dramas that have the main character spending the bulk of his/her time with one love interest and then suddenly falling in love with some other person in the last 15 minutes of the story...
    I’m fond of all my brainchildren. My heroine doesn’t really pine for anyone, but the one she liked the longest was #1, who saved her life as a child (even though he was the cause of her near-death) and taught her martial arts for his own purposes. (Here’s a spoiler: #1 and #4 are both based on Yelü Xiezhen, and they’re half-brothers in my story. #1’s fate follows history, which would make it impossible for my heroine to get a happy ending. He *must* marry #2’s sister, the Empress Dowager’s niece. Therefore my heroine ends up with #4, who has nothing to lose from being with her.) #3 is my Jianghu hegemon, haha, so he can’t be kind.

To be realistic, I can’t let my heroine and #4 be geographically together during a period of ten years (she’s with #1, #2, and #2’s sister for two years before being exiled). When she and #4 are separated, the one she likes is #1, so I have no reason to bring them together during those years.

The actual writing of the paragraphs doesn't slow me down. Rather, I have problems with coming up with ideas for what happens next in the story. I suppose if I planned everything out, this wouldn't be a problem, but unfortunately, planning is just not my style. Maybe if I were a professional writer, I would have time to plan.
    I'm the exact opposite! I have so many ideas all planned out carefully, yet I'm always struggling to pen them properly. I could just give away my billion wonderful plots to people and they'd be able to write fantastic stories out of them, haha. But I always save them for future writing projects.

Thanks for giving my main story a try. There's no rush, as the story will probably still be around for another few years with the slow pace I'm going. Personally, I think the main story has a lot more flaws than this one, since it was written so long ago. My writing style has changed quite a bit since then. Also, the main story has a lot more characters running around, which is confusing and also compromises character development. Surprisingly, there are a considerable number of people who like the main story more than the prequel. They were quite resistant to my creation of a prequel a few months ago and expressed through email that they wanted me to focus on the main story.
    Aww, maybe those readers just enjoy the hodgepodge of characters running around more. I’m super excited though! Since you’re so close to the finish line, don’t give up!

Haha, I've never seen any dramas featuring her. In myth, she was the actual mother of Qianlong but wasn't made empress. I don't believe it though.
    It's interesting that in almost every drama, a Qing emperor falls madly in love with a Han maiden. Yet, he can't make her empress (even though he wants to) because she is Han. I think such a scenario is so popular because it makes a good romantic plot line - powerful Qing emperor falls madly and helplessly in love with beautiful maiden of the conquered people.

Okie dokie! Maybe one day an idea will hit you and BAM, your fingers will be itching to write a short story.
    My ideas don't come as naturally and as readily as yours do, unfortunately. So there will be no BAM.

I’m fond of all my brainchildren. My heroine doesn’t really pine for anyone, but the one she liked the longest was #1, who saved her life as a child (even though he was the cause of her near-death) and taught her martial arts for his own purposes. (Here’s a spoiler: #1 and #4 are both based on Yelü Xiezhen, and they’re half-brothers in my story. #1’s fate follows history, which would make it impossible for my heroine to get a happy ending. He *must* marry #2’s sister, the Empress Dowager’s niece. Therefore my heroine ends up with #4, who has nothing to lose from being with her.) #3 is my Jianghu hegemon, haha, so he can’t be kind.

To be realistic, I can’t let my heroine and #4 be geographically together during a period of ten years (she’s with #1, #2, and #2’s sister for two years before being exiled). When she and #4 are separated, the one she likes is #1, so I have no reason to bring them together during those years.
    Phew! It's hard to write historical fiction as you can't just randomly make things up or else they won't coincide with history! I'm glad my stories are pure fiction and I don't have to worry about separating lovebirds because history says they have to be apart. More applause for you for weaving fiction in with history!

I'm the exact opposite! I have so many ideas all planned out carefully, yet I'm always struggling to pen them properly. I could just give away my billion wonderful plots to people and they'd be able to write fantastic stories out of them, haha. But I always save them for future writing projects.
    Maybe co-writing would a good solution? You can provide the ideas and your partner can do the bulk of the writing, with you contributing to the writing every so often when you feel the urge to write.

Aww, maybe those readers just enjoy the hodgepodge of characters running around more.
    Maybe... I don't care which story readers like, since they're both my stories. Perhaps readers have been so familiar with the characters in the other story for so long (nearly a decade) that they feel loyal to those characters. However, I think this prequel is not doing so bad in terms of readership. So far, I have you, H.Ge-C.Liu, and tweety reading. Charbydis pops in and out. Plus, I have a few excited Wallace Chung and SFF fans reading at the winglin site. I can't ask for anything more.

I’m super excited though! Since you’re so close to the finish line, don’t give up!
    You're cute. You have not even started reading the main story and yet you're excited about the ending. It still has at least 10 chapters before ending, since I have so many characters in that story that I need to either kill or give them a proper send-off.

Wow, you girls have been chatting up a storm! Well, this choo choo train will keep going until the finale of Legendary Book. Mel, it's scary that it seems like you can read my mind sometimes. Well, considering the fact that I've been stalking Legendary Book for over a decade, it should be no surprise. But yeah, I do have this tiny fear that revising the tense of the story will slow your rate of update . The problem with me is that I need closure. Hence I don't like to watch American tv shows because those can drag on for years before the series finale, and the endings are most often very anti-climatic. So I really don't care if your stories are written in the traditional format. I just want to know what happens in the end .

Btw, per my rough calculation, you managed to post 82 chapters in 10 years. So you average about 8.2 ch a year (this is excluding the prequel story). At this rate, to get to 100 ch, we have another 2 years to go.

Wait a minute, now that I think about it... if you alternate between the 2 stories, it will take twice as long, so another 4 years!!!
    Last edited by tweety365; 03-02-12 at 12:00 AM.

tweety - I think you'll be happy to know that the next chapter for Legendary Book is coming right up very soon. I'm proofreading right now. It's not that long, but I made a decision to end the chapter at a crucial moment. I'll be working on the next chapter right away and also on the next chapter for the prequel since I have a few free days.

Btw, per my rough calculation, you managed to post 82 chapters in 10 years. So you average about 8.2 chapters a year (this is excluding the prequel chapters). At this rate, we have another 2 years to go
    Don't make that face at me, woman, or I'll stop updating on the public forums and email out the remaining chapters to readers who don't make faces at me.

I'm not making any faces!
    That's how I feel! Just trying to express myself . Gah! 4 YEARS!

I'm not making any faces!
    That's how I feel! Just trying to express myself . Gah! 4 YEARS!
    <--- This is most definitely a face! That's it! No more chapter updates for you! You don't read anyway. You just skim the chapter for kissy kissy parts.

<--- This is most definitely a face! That's it! No more chapter updates for you! You don't read anyway. You just skim the chapter for kissy kissy parts.

Jie Jie is SOOOOOOOOO MEAN!!!
    You always pick on me . No more posters for you!

Jie Jie is SOOOOOOOOO MEAN!!!
    You always pick on me . No more posters for you!
    You're too busy skipping around for the naughty kissy parts to bother with posters anymore!

You're too busy skipping around for the naughty kissy parts to bother with posters anymore!
    LOL... that's not true. I've been busy over smexy hunks in dramas. The falsely advertised "hot scenes" in the prequel don't take up too much time to read.

LOL... that's not true. I've been busy over smexy hunks in dramas. The falsely advertised "hot scenes" in the prequel don't take up too much time to read.
    Tweety has a wandering eye. You're worse than Blue Executioner in the other story with your fickleness.

Make that 2 wandering eyes. Hey, I don't discriminate against anything beautiful. I love gawking at beautiful women too .

Anyway, seeing how it will take you 4 YEARS to finish Legendary Book, may I PLEASE get spoilers? For God's sake, I've been a loyal reader for over a decade (dang I feel so old )