Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Legendary Book of Sun-Moon Swordplay - The Prequel

Quote Originally Posted by xia0yuer View Post
    Arggggg, I'm on Chapter 4 now and let me just say that reading your story is infinitely better than writing about health problems in Cambodia but my paper is due tomorrow...
    Oh, wow, you should get back to your paper then! Don't waste time reading my story. The story will still be around when you have more time.

Right now, I have mixed feelings about Sit Chung Nam. He seems really suave but I don't like how he can murder people so mercilessly but I guess that's part of his anti-hero characterization.
    In my main story, the one that I started about 8-9 years ago, my male lead is chivalrous and gentlemanly. He's your typical hero. Therefore, when I started writing about SCN (who will be the "ancestor" of the chivalrous hero in the main story), I thought it was high time for a change of pace in the male lead. Hence, SCN is everything that a typical hero IS NOT - ruthless, unscrupulous, vicious, and self-serving. I like the description tweety gave him - Machiavellian. I think I'm very fortunate that most readers end up eventually liking SCN, despite his anti-hero characteristics. At least, H.Ge-C.Liu, being one of the readers who also was not too fond of him initially, turned into a SCN supporter. I don't think any of my other readers (other than you and H.Ge-C.Liu) mentioned anything to me about ambivalent feelings toward SCN.

That kiss scene in Chapter 3 was really hot.
    Thanks. At least you didn't complain that it wasn't steamy enough.

Hahaha, Yan is almost always able to outsmart Sit Chung Nam, so yay for an awesome female lead!
    I think she also has a bit of advantage, because SCN is more lenient with her than with others. Thanks for commenting on Yan! Most readers only talk about SCN.

I also love your cast choice - Wallace Chung, Yuan Hong, and Wallace Huo?
    Hey, how do you know Wallace Huo is in the story if you're only on Chapter 4? He doesn't appear or get mentioned until later.

Also, what do the character names mean in Chinese? Sadly, I'm only fluent in Mandarin.
    Sadly, I'm not too sure myself. Yes, it's ridiculous, but I'm very illiterate in Chinese. I can try to find out what the Chinese characters are through Google Translate but they'll probably be incorrect. You must be wondering why in the world I'm writing a wuxia story if I am so illiterate in Chinese...

Good luck on your paper! By the way, thanks for translating Chapter 8 of TLTSILY despite having to write your paper!

H.Ge-C.Liu - Now why would I play a prank on tweety? Do I look like someone who would do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Thanks. At least you didn't complain that it wasn't steamy enough.
    I wasn't complaining that much, right?

Sadly, I'm not too sure myself. Yes, it's ridiculous, but I'm very illiterate in Chinese. I can try to find out what the Chinese characters are through Google Translate but they'll probably be incorrect. You must be wondering why in the world I'm writing a wuxia story if I am so illiterate in Chinese...
    Not that ridiculous. I know a few people who can write awesome stories on wuxia even though they're completely illiterate in Chinese-they just got the gist of wuxia and their actions from watching subbed dramas.

H.Ge-C.Liu - Now why would I play a prank on tweety? Do I look like someone who would do that?
    Hmm... It seems that this happens very often between you guys, which is why I have my doubts.
    Biases: Hu Ge, Qiao Zhenyu, Liu Shi Shi
    Jiang Hu Fansubs - Recruiting members (especially translators).

Talking

Wow, I should go to sleep, but I drank too much tea and I am now bouncing off the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by H.Ge-C.Liu View Post
    I wasn't complaining that much, right?
    Not you. It was...ahem...tweety. She thought my caution to readers about hot kisses was false advertisement. Seriously, I think tweety wants me to strip Wallace Chung/SCN in every scene.

Not that ridiculous. I know a few people who can write awesome stories on wuxia even though they're completely illiterate in Chinese-they just got the gist of wuxia and their actions from watching subbed dramas.
    That makes me feel a bit better. Thanks. I think xia0yuer is the 3rd or 4th person to ask me about the character names. I was starting to feel a little inadequate since I couldn't answer so many readers' simple question. This is NOT the readers' fault but simply my shortcoming. So don't hold back on your questions, everyone! I will gladly try to answer each question to the best of my ability.

Hmm... It seems that this happens very often between you guys, which is why I have my doubts.
    I've been giving tweety spoilers for years and years; I keep telling her that people will die, but she just doesn't listen and think they're fake spoilers.

Hey, in which chapter did you start liking SCN? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that xia0yuer will start to like him once she hits that particular chapter.

Wow, I should go to sleep, but I drank too much tea and I am now bouncing off the walls.
    I learnt the hard way not to drink tea at night.

Hey, in which chapter did you start liking SCN? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that xia0yuer will start to like him once she hits that particular chapter.
    I think it was Chapter 5-6.

Some translations from an online dictionary:
    Sit Chung Nam: 薛钟南
    Fa Heung Yan: 花香燕
    Kuk Wai: 廓外
    Miu Jing Hung: 苗精空

For some reason, there was no 'kuk' or 'yan' in the dictionary, so I just made a few assumptions.

In reply to a previous post, xia0yuer probably knew Wallace Huo was in your story from Tweety's wonderful posters.

I think it was Chapter 5-6.
    All right, then. I'll see what xia0yuer thinks once she gets to chapters 5-6. SCN suddenly developed a sense of humor, right? Is that why you started to like him?

Some translations from an online dictionary:
    Sit Chung Nam: 薛钟南
    Fa Heung Yan: 花香燕
    Kuk Wai: 廓外
    Miu Jing Hung: 苗精空

For some reason, there was no 'kuk' or 'yan' in the dictionary, so I just made a few assumptions.
    Thank you so much for helping and giving me a starting point to figuring out the names. I ran the Chinese names you listed above through Google Translate to find out the meaning of each word.

Sit Chung Nam: 薛钟南 Yup, exactly! I think I will write a short paragraph later on in the story explaining why he's named this.

Fa Heung Yan: 花香燕 Yup, exactly!

Kuk Wai: I have no idea about the surname, but I was thinking of the Chinese character for "melody" or "song" for the surname. In Cantonese pinyin, it's spelled "kuk," but I could be completely wrong, since neither Cantonese nor Mandarin are my native dialects. As for the second character, I was thinking of 偉 (for extraordinary or great).

Miu Jing Hung: The surname is correct. The middle character is 靖 as in "quiet." Like the "jing" in Guo Jing (or Kwok Jing in Cantonese) from LOCH. And the last character is 雄 as in "hero." So it's 苗靖雄.

Phew! That took a while! Thanks for helping me, H.Ge-C.Liu!

In reply to a previous post, xia0yuer probably knew Wallace Huo was in your story from Tweety's wonderful posters.
    OMG! How silly of me to forget about tweety's very large poster with Wallace Huo's picture on it posted right on the first page of this thread!

Talking

It's almost 4 am and I'm still awake, thanks to my tea drinking habits tonight.

Anyway, I am going to post an except from Chapter 78 - Book of Black Rose from my main story here for those readers who have not read the main story or do not plan to read the main story. This excerpt pertains to Sit Chung Nam and Black Rose, so I thought readers of this prequel story might find it interesting. This is just an excerpt below (even though it's a long excerpt) and not the complete chapter. I have taken out some of the middle section and the entire end section of Chapter 78, so if you end up reading the main story, please do not skip over Chapter 78; please read the complete Chapter 78, or you'll be very confused when you get to Chapter 79!

EXCERPT FROM LEGENDARY BOOK OF SUN-MOON SWORDPLAY

CHAPTER 78 --- BOOK OF BLACK ROSE

Characters appearing in this chapter:
    Idy Chan Yuk Lin---Lam Yin Yuk
    Kristy Yeung Gong Yu---Lam Suk Yu

And introducing…
    Sun Fei Fei---Fa Heung Yan a.k.a. Black Rose
    Wallace Chung Hon Leung---Sit Chung Nam

LAM MANSION
    LIBRARY

Yin Yuk rummaged through the bookshelves and pulled out several volumes of martial arts manuals, revealing a hidden compartment in the wall. Turning the stone dial on the door of the hidden compartment, Yin Yuk then opened a small safe in the wall. She reached inside for a slightly tattered, aged journal and placed it in Suk Yu’s hands.

“What is this, Mother?” Suk Yu took the book from Yin Yuk’s hands and placed it on the corner table. Feeling around for the small wooden stool, she sat down and gently dusted the cover. Unable to see, Suk Yu traced her fingers around the edges of the aged journal. “A book?”

“This journal belonged to Sit Chung Nam.” Yin Yuk provided that bit of information.

“Sit Chung Nam? Who is Sit Chung Nam, Mother?” Suk Yu questioned.

“Sit Chung Nam was the leader of the Floating Cloud Sect, a prominent martial arts sect that existed during the time when the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan dominated the martial arts world five-hundred years ago.” Yin Yuk answered her daughter. “Just as powerful as the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan, the Floating Cloud Sect was rumored to be the only opponent capable and mighty enough to pose as a threat to the prevailing Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan.”

“Then why didn’t Sit Chung Nam lead his Floating Cloud Sect to drive the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan from the Central Plains and help rid the martial arts world of the menace of the evil clan?” Suk Yuk wondered.

“The reason was very simple.” Yin Yuk replied grimly. “The Floating Cloud Sect, although capable of challenging the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan, chose to turn a blind eye to the murdering ways of the evil clan.”

“But I don’t understand, Mother!” Suk Yu gasped in bewilderment. “How can an orthodox sect just sit back and not do anything to help fight off evil?”

“Orthodox?” Yin Yuk sighed, shaking her head at Suk Yu’s mistaken assumption. “Oh, honey, the Floating Cloud Sect was far from orthodox! In fact, the sect’s ancestors were pirates, terrorizing those who traveled by sea, raping, pillaging, and murdering without a qualm. Eventually, a small band of pirates broke away from the main group and settled in the Central Plains, turning into mountain bandits instead. Ferocious fighters, the bandits soon conquered vast regions, acquiring more and more followers. Setting up its main quarters of operation on Floating Cloud Summit, the group named itself the Floating Cloud Sect. As decades passed, the bandits, with their stolen wealth, invested in learning how to read, write, and recite poetry, and some even acquired quite a gentlemanly and scholarly air. But they never deviated far from their roots as rapists, thieves, and murderers. Their outwardly scholarly appearance and pretentious charm only made them more dangerous to unsuspecting victims. The Floating Cloud Sect’s ninth generation leader, Sit Chung Nam, was the epitome of a cold-blooded killer hiding under the façade of a well-learned gentleman. However, unlike his predecessors who had murdered for sport, he mostly minded his own business and only killed when he deemed it necessary. But if someone were foolish enough to slight him, he would murder without any remorse or mercy. Knowing his temperament, the two leaders of the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan, Poison Snake and Black Rose, wisely avoided Sit Chung Nam, giving him a wide berth. Since the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan never bothered him, he never bothered it.”

"But, wait!" Suk Yu exclaimed as something occurred to her at that moment. "I just remember a bedtime story you and father used to tell me about the Floating Cloud Sect. In the story, you told me that the Floating Cloud Sect helped save the martial arts world by defeating Poison Snake and disbanding the evil Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan. So if that were true, then the Floating Cloud Sect did eventually take action against the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan! But I still don't understand..." Suk Yu wrinkled her brow in confusion. “Why would a cold-blooded bandit like Sit Chung Nam come to the orthodox schools’ aid, especially if the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan never bothered him to begin with?”

Smiling wryly, Yin Yuk picked up the tattered volume in Suk Yu’s hands and pointed to it. “The reason for Sit Chung Nam’s willingness to help the orthodox schools to rid the martial arts world of the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan lies within this book.”

“Then this old manual must contain the most superior of all martial arts to lure such a character as Sit Chung Nam to take action!” Suk Yu concluded. “This martial arts manual must contain the techniques of the feared and almighty Blood Shadow Palm, correct, Mother? Did he invade the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan to steal this manual?”

Shaking her head, Yin Yuk laughed. “Oh no, Suk Yu. To Sit Chung Nam, a mere martial arts manual meant nothing. Already a formidable fighter with great potential, he modified and perfected his ancestors’ martial arts and continually created his own new techniques, thereby establishing himself as one of the top martial artists in the world at that time. Hence, he had no reason to risk antagonizing another large, prominent clan such as the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan for a martial arts manual. He wasn’t a mindless fool.”

“But…I don’t understand…” Suk Yu murmured in confusion. “If that manual does not contain one of the world’s top martial arts technique, then what could it contain to motivate Sit Chung Nam to attack the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan?”

“From the start of time, what is potent and alluring enough to lead men, even intelligent and great leaders, to their downfall?” Yin Yuk quizzed.

Thinking for a moment, Suk Yu suddenly looked up, the answer now very obvious. “A woman! He risked defeat and annihilation of his Floating Cloud Sect to attack the mighty Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan for a woman! It must be! Only a woman has that kind of power over a man.”

Nodding, Yin Yuk concurred. “Very perceptive, honey. The deceptively civilized, yet arrogant and callous leader of the martial arts world’s most feared and powerful band of thieves lusted after a woman, someone he would kill to possess.”

“Then that book is…” Suk Yu asked curiously.

Carefully opening the journal, Yin Yuk revealed the sketch of an exquisite beauty on the first page. Even with the pages faded from old age, one could still make out the dainty features of the young maiden depicted in the drawing, her large, almond-shaped eyes dark and alluring, framed by delicately arched brows. Pink-flushed cheeks flanked a straight, petite nose. Her rose-red lips curved seductively, as if beckoning the painter forward into her embrace. However, despite the classically beautiful features, this woman’s most stunning and captivating aspect lay in the mysterious, unattainable aura that surrounded her. Her gaze, bewitching yet aloof, called out to men, like a siren at sea, weaving her spell, enticing men to their deaths.

“This book is not a martial arts manual. Rather, it contains a compilation of Sit Chung Nam’s paintings and sketches of the enchanting Fa Heung Yan, otherwise known as Black Rose, one of the leaders of the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan.” Yin Yuk explained to her daughter. She gently flipped through the journal, unveiling more drawings of Fa Heung Yan in almost every pose possible. Some paintings showed her sitting prettily on a bench admiring flowers. Some displayed her playing the qin. There were even ones of her sleeping. It was almost as if Sit Chung Nam’s world revolved completely around Black Rose, in either absolute adoration and love or obsession. One could only guess which one it was.

Suk Yu shivered, partly from the cold draft snaking its way through the open window of the library and partly from the chilling realization of how dangerous such an obsession could be. “Sit Chung Nam’s fixation on Black Rose doesn’t sound very healthy…”

“No, it doesn’t.” Yin Yuk agreed. “Some romantics called his feelings for her total love and devotion, while cynics likened his actions to pure stupidity and blind obsession.”

“So which one was it?” Suk Yu mused to herself.

“Perhaps only Sit Chung Nam himself can answer that.” Yin Yuk responded. “I suppose a very fine line separates true undying love from pure stupidity and obsession.” Yin Yuk murmured. “According to legend, his love…or obsession…for Black Rose was so overwhelming that he risked the livelihood of his Floating Cloud Sect and his own life to win her heart. While everyone else in the martial arts realm cowered in fear upon hearing about the Blood Shadow Palm and the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan, he dared to invade this evil clan and go up against the virtually undefeatable Blood Shadow Palm, in an attempt to kidnap Black Rose.”

“Kidnapping one of the leaders of the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan? It must not be an easy feat, given that the clan was one of the most powerful at that time. How did Sit Chung Nam get past the clan’s infamous Blood Shadow Palm?” Suk Yu asked.

“I don’t know.” Yin Yuk answered honestly. “The stories only mentioned that Sit Chung Nam was the sole person capable of defeating the Blood Shadow Palm, even to this day. How he did it or whether this claim was true or not, only a few knew.”

“So…if we find out how Sit Chung Nam defeated the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan’s Blood Shadow Palm, then we will be able to take down this murderer who is currently terrorizing the martial arts world!” Suk Yu concluded.

“Exactly.” Yin Yuk concurred. “Unfortunately, apart from scanty stories and rumors, your father and I don’t know much about Sit Chung Nam. For someone who was the leader of the once prominent and formidable Floating Cloud Sect, information on him is oddly scarce for some reason. All we know is that, after abducting Black Rose, he fathered Sit Tin Pang with her. Even my teacher and his teacher before him only know snippets of the complete story of Sit Chung Nam’s involvement with the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan.”

“Sit Tin Pang, the Guardian of the Swords of Sun and Moon, was one of the founders of our Sun Moon School of Sword Fighting! How can we know so little of his parents, Sit Chung Nam and Black Rose?” Suk Yu wondered, puzzled.

Smiling wryly, Yin Yuk shook her head. “It’s quite embarrassing to know next to nothing about our school’s ancestors, isn’t it, dear?” Sighing, she waved the dusty journal filled with drawings of Black Rose. “However, besides this journal, we have no other clues of Sit Chung Nam’s life with Black Rose, which is very odd, given that Lam Mansion used to be the main site of the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan. You would think there would be some traces of their lives together left behind here. But when your father took over as the leader of our Sun Moon School of Sword Fighting and inherited this mansion, we found only this book containing Sit Chung Nam’s sketches and paintings of his Black Rose. It was almost as if the absence of details of Sit Chung Nam and Black Rose’s lives was deliberate, as if someone wanted to erase them from history. Your father, I, and our teacher have always wondered why…”

After hearing about her mother’s lack of information on Sit Chung Nam and Black Rose, Suk Yu furrowed her brows in worry. “Mother, if even you, father, and grand teacher do not know the details of Sit Chung Nam’s involvement with Black Rose and the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan, then how will we find out how he defeated the Blood Shadow Palm? How will we be able to answer to the martial arts community in three days when they re-congregate here at Lam Mansion?!”

Sighing deeply, Yin Yuk shook her head with concern. “This upcoming meeting in three days is what I am worried about. With a vicious murderer lurking out there in the martial arts world, mutilating people left and right, the martial arts community is roused into a frenzied state. You’ve seen how angry and frantic everyone is this evening in the foyer. In three days, if we don’t come up with a solution to rid the martial arts world of this killer, that furious and scared crowd may transform into a lynch mob.”

“But Mother, it would be impossible to find out about how Sit Chung Nam defeated the Blood Shadow Palm in just a mere three days! Where would we even begin our search for this information?! You yourself even admitted that grand teacher does not know how Sit Chung Nam triumphed over the Blood Shadow Palm. Who else can we ask for information?” Suk Yu tried to remain calm as she fought the urge to pace.

“I wish I know the answer, sweetheart.” Yin Yuk replied to her daughter sadly. “At this point, I really don’t know whom to turn to for help.”

“Then what should we do, Mother? What answers can we give to the martial arts community in three days?” Suk Yu bit her lower lip with apprehension.

Pondering their dilemma, Yin Yuk carefully flipped through the pages of the journal containing Sit Chung Nam’s drawings of Black Rose. Unsure of what she should be looking for, she examined the sketches, hoping for some miraculous inspiration on how to find out how Sit Chung Nam defeated the Blood Shadow Palm. Suddenly, something in one of the drawings caught her eye, causing her to pause. Yin Yuk focused in on the background landscape in one particular sketch and stared intently at the lake in one of the drawings.

“I’ve seen that lake somewhere!” Yin Yuk jabbed her finger at a drawing showing Black Rose bathing in lake, a very oddly shaped lake that resembled a crane drinking water from a crescent shaped moon.

“What lake, Mother?” Suk Yu questioned, confused by Yin Yuk’s outburst.

“In Sit Chung Nam’s book of sketches, one particular drawing stands out from the rest. The rest of the drawings only feature Black Rose, either alone or with an accessory, like a qin or small comb. However, whereas all the other drawings contain no background setting, Sit Chung Nam has included background scenery in this particular sketch.” Yin Yuk explained to Suk Yu. “This painting shows Black Rose bathing in a lake. She’s in some sort of forest setting, with thick clusters of towering trees surrounding the lake. This lake still exists today! I know where this place is! It’s in a small secluded place called Blue Moon Village, in the woods known as the Forest of Shifting Echoes.”

Puzzled, Suk Yu asked, “Blue Moon Village? Forest of Shifting Echoes? Mother, how could you be sure?” She sent her mother a doubtful look. “There are plenty of villages with forests and lakes, and they all appear very similar.”

Shaking her head at Suk Yu, Yin Yuk countered confidently, her voice with the slightest hint of excitement. “This lake is like no other in the world! It’s shaped in a very peculiar, interesting form. If you look down on the lake from an aerial perspective, it resembles a large crane sipping water from a crescent moon. Many fanciful people have dubbed it Heavenly Crane Lake, conjuring up stories of a heavenly crane drinking from lakes on the moon. An army of weeping willows encircles the perimeter of the lake, the low sweeping branches of the willows enclosing the body of water into a small private alcove. Beyond the weeping willows stand tall, magnificent conifers. People call these woods the Forest of Shifting Echoes, as they believe that it is haunted. Many passersby claim to have heard various noises drifting from those woods, ranging from echoes of laughter to screams of agony and heartbreak.”

“But even if the setting for this drawing of Black Rose is indeed the Forest of Shifting Echoes in Blue Moon Village, I still do not understand what the importance of the location is.” Suk Yu shook her head slowly as she tried to comprehend her mother’s excitement.

“It’s very simple, Suk Yu.” Yin Yuk explained to her daughter, who cannot see the sketches in Sit Chung Nam’s journal. “Like I mentioned just now, in the majority of Sit Chung Nam’s paintings, he pays very little attention to the setting and only uses a few strokes of the paintbrush to create the background. Most of the sketches focus solely on Black Rose, on her beauty, her delicate features, her graceful body form.” Tapping her finger at the drawing of Black Rose in the lake, she pointed out excitedly. “However, only in this one specific drawing of Black Rose bathing in the lake does he make a careful and deliberate effort to fill in the background scenery, to identify the location.”

“Therefore…this place, this Blue Moon Village and this Forest of Shifting Echoes must somehow play a significant role in Sit Chung Nam and Black Rose’s life!” Suk Yu completed Yin Yuk’s thoughts.

“Correct!” Yin Yuk laughed, proud of her daughter’s intelligence. “They must have spent some time in the Forest of Shifting Echoes in Blue Moon Village, at least long enough for Sit Chung Nam to consider that forest significant enough to include in his drawing of his beloved Black Rose. During their time there, a few people in that village may have noticed their presence, as the leader from the Floating Cloud Sect and one of the leaders of the Thousand Snake Black Rose Clan do not exactly blend in inconspicuously with a crowd of villagers.”

“Therefore, if we go to Blue Moon Village, perhaps we may find some villager who has heard of Sit Chung Nam and Black Rose from his or her ancestors! And from him or her, maybe we can learn about how Sit Chung Nam defeated the Blood Shadow Palm!” Suk Yu concluded. She clasped her hands together, almost as if in prayer, desperately clinging onto this plan and hoping that someone in Blue Moon Village would be able to help them solve the mystery of how the Blood Shadow Palm could be vanquished. If not, the Lam family will have a very difficult time explaining to the martial arts community in three days why, as the Chancellor’s family, they cannot come up with a solution to keep the martial arts world safe from the Blood Shadow Palm.

“We can only hope we will find a villager in Blue Moon Village who knows about Sit Chung Nam and Black Rose.” Yin Yuk tried to inject some confidence into her tone, although she was silently praying along with Suk Yu. “It’s a very remote, slim chance that we will successfully find any information about this pair in Blue Moon Village, but it’s worth a try. At least, it’s more productive than sitting around for the next three days and then announcing to the martial arts community that we have come to the meeting with no information whatsoever on how to defeat the Blood Shadow Palm.”

“Then we shall go to Blue Moon Village right this moment! We don’t have any time to waste!” Suk Yu exclaimed.

Once Suk Yu had left the library, Yin Yuk stared down at the journal still held in her hands. Reaching her hand toward the drawing the Black Rose, she traced her fingers along the curve of the maiden’s jaw. “Such beauty, such fragility.” She murmured. “What was your life like, being one of the leaders of the most powerful clans of your time? What was your relationship with your elder sister, Poison Snake? How did you attract the attention of the young leader of the infamous Floating Cloud Sect? Did you love him, or did you loathe him? But most importantly, how did your suitor defeat your elder sister’s all-powerful Blood Shadow Palm? And what happened to both of you after defeating Poison Snake? How come there is virtually no information left behind about both of you?” However, only silence greeted Yin Yuk’s flurry of questions. Black Rose’s large, mesmerizing eyes stared back at Yin Yuk from the drawing. Her smile, secretive and alluring, challenged Yin Yuk to unveil the mysteries of her life…

I hope everyone enjoyed the excerpt. I'm working on the next chapter for this story. I just need to focus my attention away from Wallace Chung and back onto my stories.

Thanks for posting the excerpt! Reading it now, since it's only 10:30pm (16th) here.

All right, then. I'll see what xia0yuer thinks once she gets to chapters 5-6. SCN suddenly developed a sense of humor, right? Is that why you started to like him?
    Exactly.

Thank you so much for helping and giving me a starting point to figuring out the names. I ran the Chinese names you listed above through Google Translate to find out the meaning of each word.

Sit Chung Nam: 薛钟南 Yup, exactly! I think I will write a short paragraph later on in the story explaining why he's named this.

Kuk Wai: I have no idea about the surname, but I was thinking of the Chinese character for "melody" or "song" for the surname. In Cantonese pinyin, it's spelled "kuk," but I could be completely wrong, since neither Cantonese nor Mandarin are my native dialects. As for the second character, I was thinking of 偉 (for extraordinary or great).

Miu Jing Hung: The surname is correct. The middle character is 靖 as in "quiet." Like the "jing" in Guo Jing (or Kwok Jing in Cantonese) from LOCH. And the last character is 雄 as in "hero." So it's 苗靖雄.

Phew! That took a while! Thanks for helping me, H.Ge-C.Liu!
    No problems, Mel.
    Ah, yes. 苗靖雄 sounds so much better!
    For Kuk Wai's surname, the only words I can think of now that have to do with melody or song is 旋律,曲,音调,歌颂,鸣叫, and none of them come very close to Kuk. Sorry, can't help there.
    Last edited by H.Ge-C.Liu; 03-16-12 at 07:39 AM.

Thanks for posting the excerpt! Reading it now, since it's only 10:30pm (16th) here.
    Thanks for reading. The excerpt is a little boring, since those recounted events in the excerpt are happening in the prequel, so I'm not really telling you anything new. However, I will be explaining those various noises drifting from the Forest of Shifting Echoes and how the forest acquired its name in a later chapter. Also, something is obviously important about the forest and that is why it's included in SCN's book of drawings. (By the way, this is the same journal that appears in the Prologue.) And who's this Sit Tin Pang? Well, he'll be addressed in the second half of the prequel. In case you've forgotten, Sit Tin Pang is the little boy in the Prologue.

No problems, Mel.
    Ah, yes. 苗靖雄 sounds so much better!
    I figured you would be most interested in HG's character's name. I think his name fits his personality in the story nicely - quiet hero. Now I have to think up a name for his love interest. Making up names is a hard task, especially since I don't know Chinese characters.

For Kuk Wai's surname, the only words I can think of now that have to do with melody or song is 旋律,曲,音调,歌颂,鸣叫, and none of them come very close to Kuk. Sorry, can't help there.
    Aha! I figured it out! Kuk is 曲, like the surname of the guy in 笑傲江湖 who plays the qin! Weird but the Mandarin and Cantonese pinyin sound nothing alike for this word...

Ok, so Kuk Wai is 曲偉!

Not you. It was...ahem...tweety. She thought my caution to readers about hot kisses was false advertisement. Seriously, I think tweety wants me to strip Wallace Chung/SCN in every scene.
    I am in full support of that!

I'm on Chapter 7 now, been reading in between my marathon essay writing sessions. SCN is definitely more likable now, especially after all those cute scenes with Yan. I still don't like how he kills people without batting an eyelash. Since he had already agreed to let Ng Pao go, he should keep to his word, not strike when his enemy has his back towards him. It's not exactly the best way to gain people's trust...but I guess he doesn't really care about that.

One of the things that really bothered me in Yi Chu Ji Fa was how everyone could murder without any emotional repercussions later. I understand that A'Ci and Li Xin Hong were part of the military and have perhaps been trained not to think about deaths as taking away a life, but rather protecting their own. But A'Chu, Ya Shu and Rong Hua should have expressed some regret when they were forced to kill an enemy. Perhaps I'm being too idealistic and their emotions have already been dulled by the upheaval of that time period.

Melanie and H.Ge-C.Liu,
    Thanks for the explanation of the names. If you didn't name them using the chinese meaning, how did you come up with each name? Or is your story based off another wuxia novel and you just fleshed out the characters?

OMG! How silly of me to forget about tweety's very large poster with Wallace Huo's picture on it posted right on the first page of this thread!
    Hahaha, actually in Chapter 3, you put him on the character list as Kuk Wai, but now that I think about it, I did see him in tweety's posters. On the topic of Kuk Wai.... he slept with Ling?! Unforgivable! I hope he has to pine for Yan for the rest of his life, while she finds happiness with a much better man. Ha, serves him right to have to suffer at the hands of Ling.

Now that I think about it, Murong Feng did the same thing to Jing Wan. I guess I shouldn't be so forgiving of him but Wallace makes him seem so repentant. I could see his unwavering love for her because even though he took Su Ying as his second wife, he never touched her because he knew that she wasn't Jing Wan.

I think you should add Yang Mi in your story because as much as I like LSS, I think Yang Mi is much prettier and is a better actress. I've never seen any of Sun Fei Fei's dramas though I feel like Yang Mi would be awesome as Yan. Her big eyes and outgoing personality... Oh well, I think she'll be Yan in my head.

Also, I adore Yuan Hong. Not as much as I adore Wallace, but hardly anyone can hold a candle to Wallace. I think Yuan Hong looks better with the ancient hair style than Wallace does so more Yuan Hong please!
    Currently translating 香蜜沉沉烬如霜 at a very minute pace:
    http://xia0yuer.tumblr.com/

I’m finally done with my midterms today, so I did a marathon through your chapters! Melanie, I think you write beautifully! This is the first time I’ve read wuxia in English, and I am definitely enjoying the experience so far! I will be looking forward to your next update ^^

And some of my thoughts…

At this point, I am very conflicted. The romantic in me swoons at the presence of Sit Chung Nam, and envy Yan for being the object of his affection. Yet, at the same time I can’t seem to make myself like him.

It is extremely weird, I admit, since I was really touched by the prologue and the excerpt that you just posted. I don’t mind his cruelty toward his enemies or his ruthless killing either, as that’s just part of who he is and how he was raised up to be. What bothers me though is his relentless pursue for winning Yan’s heart. I find Chung Nam’s obsession with Yan to be a little disturbing…. lol

Ironic, I know! I mean, I get giddy just imagining Wallace in an actual drama adaption of this! I can already picture every scene in my head, and I LIKE so-very-much what I see! haha… I don’t know what is wrong with me. But, well whatever it is, I’m pretty sure my love-hate towards Sit Chung Nam will resolve itself soon, with me completely smitten by his charms eventually, and lose all sense of sanity.

Oh and I must say, I find the scenes where Chung Nam was injured or unconscious to be the sweetest ones. haha, maybe he should be injured more often. His alpha-male dominance was less prominent during those situations, and I like him better that way. lol

If this isn't a prank, I'm sure Tweety will be so happy that feathers will grow out again.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7910/babybirds.jpg')

My feathers are growing back! It's a good thing too, because I do not look good bald.

Say what you want, but those kisses are definitely falsely advertised . And I certainly wouldn't mind SCN showing a bit more skin every now and then

Thanks for reading. The excerpt is a little boring, since those recounted events in the
    excerpt are happening in the prequel, so I'm not really telling you anything new. However, I will be explaining those various noises drifting from the Forest of Shifting Echoes and how the forest acquired its name in a later chapter. Also, something is obviously important about the forest and that is why it's included in SCN's book of drawings. (By the way, this is the same journal that appears in the Prologue.) And who's this Sit Tin Pang? Well, he'll be addressed in the second half of the prequel. In case you've forgotten, Sit Tin Pang is the little boy in the Prologue.

I figured you would be most interested in HG's character's name. I think his name fits his personality in the story nicely - quiet hero. Now I have to think up a name for his love interest. Making up names is a hard task, especially since I don't know Chinese characters.

Aha! I figured it out! Kuk is 曲, like the surname of the guy in 笑傲江湖 who plays the qin! Weird but the Mandarin and Cantonese pinyin sound nothing alike for this word...

Ok, so Kuk Wai is 曲偉!
    No, I haven't forgotten. Looking forward to his appearance later on in the prequel.
    Maybe you can make up her name according to her personality, just like what you did with Miu Jing Hung. Waiting excitedly for Constable Miu's love interest's name....and the actress playing her.

Congratulations on figuring Kuk Wai's Mandarin name out! Yes, I was also mislead by the pinyin in my attempt to translate the Canto names to Mandarin.

Update:
    Sit Chung Nam: 薛钟南/Xue1 Zhong1 Nan2
    Fa Heung Yan: 花香燕/Hua1 Xiang1 Yan4
    Miu Jing Hung: 苗靖雄/Miao2 Jing4 Xiong2
    Kuk Wai: 曲偉/Qu3 Wei3
    Last edited by H.Ge-C.Liu; 03-17-12 at 01:42 AM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    And I certainly wouldn't mind SCN showing a bit more skin every now and then.
    I am in full support of that!
    You two are shameless! Absolutely, hopelessly shameless! I bet Wallace/SCN would mind walking around bare-chested all the time. He'd be cold. Haha.

I'm on Chapter 7 now, been reading in between my marathon essay writing sessions. SCN is definitely more likable now, especially after all those cute scenes with Yan. I still don't like how he kills people without batting an eyelash. Since he had already agreed to let Ng Pao go, he should keep to his word, not strike when his enemy has his back towards him. It's not exactly the best way to gain people's trust...but I guess he doesn't really care about that.
    First, thank you for reading in between writing your papers. You don't have to do that, because I know your studies are more important than reading the fanfic. But I really appreciate your enthusiasm for the story! By the way, how'd your papers go? Relieved now that they are finished and over?

Now regarding SCN... I think you have to shed any preconceived notions that SCN will be a heroic, honorable character simply because he's the protagonist. This is far from the case. Yes, he is the leading male character of the story, yet his character traits more closely resemble those of an antagonist. Or shall we say he is an unconventional protagonist?

He kills so mercilessly because of his upbringing and because his position as leader of bandits demands that he does so. He grew up among thieves, murderers, and rapists. It was not exactly a warm and fuzzy environment for a child to be in. There was no opportunity for him to develop long-lasting friendships. If he foolishly trusted someone, he could be backstabbed or betrayed, as after all, there was no honor among thieves. In such an environment, only the fittest, the strongest, and the meanest survived. SCN somehow clawed his way up from abandoned child to errand boy for the bandits to bandit leader at the tender age of fifteen. To be able to accomplish that, he MUST possess a certain amount of ruthlessness and viciousness. If it meant that he had to kill without batting an eyelash, then so be it. If he did not rule the Floating Cloud Sect with an iron fist, then there could be a mutiny, since it would not be uncommon for dishonorable bandits to turn against their leader.

He kills Ng Pao, because in his mind, he doesn't owe Ng any second chances or leniency. Why would he be foolish enough to let an enemy who has attempted to kill him earlier go? Why give Ng Pao the chance to return someday for revenge? In his mind, he is efficiently ridding himself of a potential threat. Again, this way of thinking and of dealing with matters is due to his upbringing and the company he keeps. By the way, SCN technically did not agree to let Ng Pao live. Yan was the one who spared Ng Pao's life and told him to leave, not SCN. SCN just seemed annoyed that Ng Pao was blubbering at Yan.

One of the things that really bothered me in Yi Chu Ji Fa was how everyone could murder without any emotional repercussions later. I understand that A'Ci and Li Xin Hong were part of the military and have perhaps been trained not to think about deaths as taking away a life, but rather protecting their own. But A'Chu, Ya Shu and Rong Hua should have expressed some regret when they were forced to kill an enemy. Perhaps I'm being too idealistic and their emotions have already been dulled by the upheaval of that time period.
    Actually, I was more bothered by Ah Ci's killings than by Ah Chu's killings. As an officer, shouldn't Ah Ci protect rather than kill, unless absolutely necessary? I was also surprised by how quickly Ah Chu changed from the cheerful gentleman to mob boss and killer. The transition almost seemed too abrupt. I wonder if this is the case in the novel, too? Anyone read the novel yet? Ya Shu was a trained assassin, so naturally, she would kill without a thought.

Thanks for the explanation of the names. If you didn't name them using the chinese meaning, how did you come up with each name? Or is your story based off another wuxia novel and you just fleshed out the characters?
    Oh, no, this story is purely and solely a product of my own imagination. It is not based off another author's novel nor is it a continuation of another author's published or unpublished work.

I did name the characters using Chinese meanings. However, since I am illiterate in Chinese, it is hard for me to find the correct Chinese character to match the Cantonese pinyin names. There aren't any good online sites that convert Cantonese pinyin to Chinese characters. But now looking back on your question, I think you just wanted me to tell you the meaning of the names and not write out the Chinese characters. I guess I misread your question.

Hahaha, actually in Chapter 3, you put him on the character list as Kuk Wai, but now that I think about it, I did see him in tweety's posters. On the topic of Kuk Wai.... he slept with Ling?! Unforgivable! I hope he has to pine for Yan for the rest of his life, while she finds happiness with a much better man. Ha, serves him right to have to suffer at the hands of Ling.
    You sound like me when I was bashing Murong Feng in the TLTSILY thread. Haha.

Yes, Kuk Wai did sleep with Ling, but only because she drugged him with aphrodisiac incense. In his confused mind, he probably thought Ling was Yan. You could say that Ling raped Kuk Wai, as he was too drugged and mentally altered to give consent. As hinted in the scene between Kuk Wai and Ling, Ling became pregnant after that encounter and Kuk Wai HAD to marry her. But then, shortly thereafter, Ling lost the baby. Anyway, it really didn't matter whether Kuk Wai slept with Ling willingly or was forced. Yan still couldn't forgive Kuk Wai. Sometimes, there are certain things that could never be forgotten, no matter how hard a person tries to forget. Tweety, being a staunch Wallace Huo fan, feels that Yan still loves Kuk Wai, even though Yan could never forgive him. Tweety could be right, but this could all change, depending on how persuasive SCN is. Sometimes, it's easier to move on after a past hurt if there is another person waiting to welcome you into his arms.

Now that I think about it, Murong Feng did the same thing to Jing Wan. I guess I shouldn't be so forgiving of him but Wallace makes him seem so repentant. I could see his unwavering love for her because even though he took Su Ying as his second wife, he never touched her because he knew that she wasn't Jing Wan.
    The difference between Kuk Wai and Murong Feng was that Kuk Wai was drugged into sleeping with Ling, whereas Murong knowingly got himself inebriated with alcohol when he should have been by Jingwan's side, supporting her though her emotional turmoil after the miscarriage. Instead, he chose to escape through alcohol. You could argue that the alcohol made him sleep with Jinzhi, but I think that alcohol only loosens inhibitions. If the desire to cheat with another woman isn't there in the first place, he still wouldn't have slept with Jinzhi no matter how loosened his inhibitions are. And even if we are magnanimous enough to forgive him for that one indiscretion, then how can he explain his sleeping with Jinzhi a second time, which got her pregnant? Sometimes, I feel that Murong Feng is even more despicable and unforgivable by sleeping with Jinzhi, getting her pregnant, and then still treating her with such neglect and meanness. He betrays and cheats on Jingwan, and then when he meets up with Jingwan again years later, he wants to drop Jinzhi (who is pregnant with his child) without a thought! This guy is truly a monster.

I think you should add Yang Mi in your story because as much as I like LSS, I think Yang Mi is much prettier and is a better actress. I've never seen any of Sun Fei Fei's dramas though I feel like Yang Mi would be awesome as Yan. Her big eyes and outgoing personality... Oh well, I think she'll be Yan in my head.
    In my main story, I made the mistake of adding too many characters to the story. As a result, I had too many characters but not enough character development for some of the minor characters. This time, I will try to limit my number of characters.

I have a spot for a female character who will be Miu Jing Hung's love interest. So far, I have one vote for LSS from H.Ge-C.Liu. From your comments, I don't think you want Yang Mi to be HG's character's love interest anyway. It seems like you prefer Yang Mi to be Fa Heung Yan. Actually, I think it's a fine idea to imagine whichever actress you want as Yan. I only cast actors/actresses into the character roles for fun and to allow readers to match a face to the character. When I sit down and write each chapter, I do not imagine SFF's face, for example; I simply write. Yan is Yan, independent of any actress' image. So feel free to imagine Yang Mi as Yan. Come to think of it, Yang Mi and Wallace would be quite a new and refreshing pairing.

Also, I adore Yuan Hong. Not as much as I adore Wallace, but hardly anyone can hold a candle to Wallace. I think Yuan Hong looks better with the ancient hair style than Wallace does so more Yuan Hong please!
    Right now, Sung Hin (YH's character) is like a quiet, unobtrusive, and valuable right-hand man for SCN. He will play a more important role in the story eventually. Right now, I'm still debating about whether or not to give him a love interest...

Quote Originally Posted by genna View Post
    I’m finally done with my midterms today, so I did a marathon through your chapters! Melanie, I think you write beautifully! This is the first time I’ve read wuxia in English, and I am definitely enjoying the experience so far! I will be looking forward to your next update ^^
    First, congratulations on finishing your midterms! You must be so excited! You should go out and celebrate rather than stay home and read! You shouldn't have done a marathon through the story, because now you will have to wait a while before I complete the next chapter. But thank you so much for your enthusiasm! I don't know if I could read through so many chapters in one sitting. And thanks for the compliment. Hopefully, your first English wuxia experience was pleasant.

And some of my thoughts…

At this point, I am very conflicted. The romantic in me swoons at the presence of Sit Chung Nam, and envy Yan for being the object of his affection. Yet, at the same time I can’t seem to make myself like him.

It is extremely weird, I admit, since I was really touched by the prologue and the excerpt that you just posted. I don’t mind his cruelty toward his enemies or his ruthless killing either, as that’s just part of who he is and how he was raised up to be. What bothers me though is his relentless pursue for winning Yan’s heart. I find Chung Nam’s obsession with Yan to be a little disturbing…. lol

Ironic, I know! I mean, I get giddy just imagining Wallace in an actual drama adaption of this! I can already picture every scene in my head, and I LIKE so-very-much what I see! haha… I don’t know what is wrong with me. But, well whatever it is, I’m pretty sure my love-hate towards Sit Chung Nam will resolve itself soon, with me completely smitten by his charms eventually, and lose all sense of sanity.

Oh and I must say, I find the scenes where Chung Nam was injured or unconscious to be the sweetest ones. haha, maybe he should be injured more often. His alpha-male dominance was less prominent during those situations, and I like him better that way. lol
    You get giddy too easily. Are you sure your giddiness is not from imagining Wallace in the cave scene, when he was...ahem...unabashedly unclothed?

From you comments, I'm guessing that you prefer less arrogant and more romantic male leads? If yes, then you'll probably like the men in my main story more than SCN. When I decided to make SCN "Machiavellian," as tweety called him, I knew I was taking a gamble with the audience. I knew many readers liked heroic, romantic male leads, but I really wanted a change of pace. My main story had plenty of sweet, romantic guys. These types of characters were easy to like, but they can get quite predictable and bland after a while. Therefore, I wanted to write about a man who was more bad than good, yet still had redeeming qualities.

SCN is probably one of my more challenging characters, as he is not immediately likable. He's a bandit, arrogant, self-serving, and with a vicious streak. And he's no Robin Hood, either. He plunders and kills for selfish gain, not for the sake of mankind. Therefore, I am trying hard to make him likable to the readers and still not compromise his character/nature. He is one of those gray characters who is largely ruthless and self-serving, yet is not completely inhumane and unsalvageable. He still has a few traits that may be considered "heroic." For example, he's fiercely loyal once he decides to protect someone. He protected Yan from Ng Pao, even though there was a very real possibility that he could die from his efforts. Yes, he saved her partly because of his selfish desire to possess her, but a lesser man would have just left her to Ng Pao's mercy and would have looked for another woman as replacement. Second, he's certainly not a coward, as some villains can be. And finally, you've probably already noticed that SCN, despite his arrogance and tyrannical ways, has a gentler side buried somewhere inside him. In fact, he has quite a romantic soul, which shows in the way he treats Yan. He may have started off manhandling her and trying to force her into compliance, but once he started to like her as a person (and not just as an object of his desire), he began to treat her with more respect and care.

As shown in the Prologue, SCN will change as the story progresses. My goal is to show that love can change a person, and that no matter how evil and selfish a person is, he can become a better person if he has a reason to change. For SCN, Yan is that reason. SCN will never become the typical heroic and righteous hero, as a leopard cannot completely change its spots, but he will become a more considerate person because he chooses to do so for Yan. Yes, I'm a hopeless romantic, but I can't help it.

You probably found SCN's obsession with Yan disturbing because he just wanted her for her beauty initially. He saw her as an object to be possessed rather than as a person. That was disturbing. But hopefully, he can redeem himself in your eyes later on.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7910/babybirds.jpg')

My feathers are growing back! It's a good thing too, because I do not look good bald.
    I don't know... I kind of like you bald more.

I'm glad you're so happy now that you know what will happen to Kristy and Ekin.

No, I haven't forgotten. Looking forward to his appearance later on in the prequel.
    Maybe you can make up her name according to her personality, just like what you did with Miu Jing Hung. Waiting excitedly for Constable Miu's love interest's name....and the actress playing her.
    Somehow, those grinning faces seem to be sending me secret subliminal messages. Cast LSS as MJH's love interest... Cast LSS... Cast LSS...

Update:
    Sit Chung Nam: 薛钟南/Xue1 Zhong1 Nan2
    Fa Heung Yan: 花香燕/Hua1 Xiang1 Yan4
    Miu Jing Hung: 苗靖雄/Miao2 Jing4 Xiong2
    Kuk Wai: 曲偉/Qu3 Wei3
    Thanks for the help! Now I almost feel like a real wuxia writer with some Chinese characters next to my characters' names.

^^Your reply to Tweety's comment about feathers growing out again gives off sinister vibes...

Somehow, those grinning faces seem to be sending me secret subliminal messages. Cast LSS as MJH's love interest... Cast LSS... Cast LSS...
    My mind is really readable, isn't it?

Thanks for the help! Now I almost feel like a real wuxia writer with some Chinese characters next to my characters' names.
    No problem. In fact, the Mandarin pinyin names can just be used for personal references. The story itself is already authentic, even without the Mandarin translations.

You two are shameless! Absolutely, hopelessly shameless! I bet Wallace/SCN would mind walking around bare-chested all the time. He'd be cold. Haha.
    Says the person who started posting half naked pictures of Wallace in his thread... You are even more incorrigible than either me or tweety.

First, thank you for reading in between writing your papers. You don't have to do that, because I know your studies are more important than reading the fanfic. But I really appreciate your enthusiasm for the story! By the way, how'd your papers go? Relieved now that they are finished and over?
    Yes, I'm so glad that I'm done with that class (it's based on the quarter system) and can now enjoy my spring break.
    Sadly, I'm also completely caught up on your story so I must agonize over what will happen next along with everyone else on this thread.

Now regarding SCN... I think you have to shed any preconceived notions that SCN will be a heroic, honorable character simply because he's the protagonist. This is far from the case. Yes, he is the leading male character of the story, yet his character traits more closely resemble those of an antagonist. Or shall we say he is an unconventional protagonist?

He kills so mercilessly because of his upbringing and because his position as leader of bandits demands that he does so. He grew up among thieves, murderers, and rapists. It was not exactly a warm and fuzzy environment for a child to be in. There was no opportunity for him to develop long-lasting friendships. If he foolishly trusted someone, he could be backstabbed or betrayed, as after all, there was no honor among thieves. In such an environment, only the fittest, the strongest, and the meanest survived. SCN somehow clawed his way up from abandoned child to errand boy for the bandits to bandit leader at the tender age of fifteen. To be able to accomplish that, he MUST possess a certain amount of ruthlessness and viciousness. If it meant that he had to kill without batting an eyelash, then so be it. If he did not rule the Floating Cloud Sect with an iron fist, then there could be a mutiny, since it would not be uncommon for dishonorable bandits to turn against their leader.

He kills Ng Pao, because in his mind, he doesn't owe Ng any second chances or leniency. Why would he be foolish enough to let an enemy who has attempted to kill him earlier go? Why give Ng Pao the chance to return someday for revenge? In his mind, he is efficiently ridding himself of a potential threat. Again, this way of thinking and of dealing with matters is due to his upbringing and the company he keeps. By the way, SCN technically did not agree to let Ng Pao live. Yan was the one who spared Ng Pao's life and told him to leave, not SCN. SCN just seemed annoyed that Ng Pao was blubbering at Yan.
    When you paint such a brutal picture of his life, I guess I understand his ruthlessness better. But I also feel like he jokes around to much with Yan if he truly was such a vicious killer. Right now, I'm getting the vibe that he's more of a 花花公子 than a calculating 武林高手. Actually, now that I think about it, he seems a bit like Ouyang Ke in Legend of the Condor Hero.

Actually, I was more bothered by Ah Ci's killings than by Ah Chu's killings. As an officer, shouldn't Ah Ci protect rather than kill, unless absolutely necessary? I was also surprised by how quickly Ah Chu changed from the cheerful gentleman to mob boss and killer. The transition almost seemed too abrupt. I wonder if this is the case in the novel, too? Anyone read the novel yet? Ya Shu was a trained assassin, so naturally, she would kill without a thought.
    Whoops, I forgot the Ya Shu was supposed to be an assassin. She just doesn't give off that vibe. I feel like the military back then wasn't about protecting the people as much as making sure they stay in power. Isn't that why the communists wanted to overthrow them? I totally agree that A'Chu's change was really abrupt though. He was so happy-go-lucky one day and then started threatening A'Ci with his gang the next.

You sound like me when I was bashing Murong Feng in the TLTSILY thread. Haha.

Yes, Kuk Wai did sleep with Ling, but only because she drugged him with aphrodisiac incense. In his confused mind, he probably thought Ling was Yan. You could say that Ling raped Kuk Wai, as he was too drugged and mentally altered to give consent. As hinted in the scene between Kuk Wai and Ling, Ling became pregnant after that encounter and Kuk Wai HAD to marry her. But then, shortly thereafter, Ling lost the baby. Anyway, it really didn't matter whether Kuk Wai slept with Ling willingly or was forced. Yan still couldn't forgive Kuk Wai. Sometimes, there are certain things that could never be forgotten, no matter how hard a person tries to forget. Tweety, being a staunch Wallace Huo fan, feels that Yan still loves Kuk Wai, even though Yan could never forgive him. Tweety could be right, but this could all change, depending on how persuasive SCN is. Sometimes, it's easier to move on after a past hurt if there is another person waiting to welcome you into his arms.

The difference between Kuk Wai and Murong Feng was that Kuk Wai was drugged into sleeping with Ling, whereas Murong knowingly got himself inebriated with alcohol when he should have been by Jingwan's side, supporting her though her emotional turmoil after the miscarriage. Instead, he chose to escape through alcohol. You could argue that the alcohol made him sleep with Jinzhi, but I think that alcohol only loosens inhibitions. If the desire to cheat with another woman isn't there in the first place, he still wouldn't have slept with Jinzhi no matter how loosened his inhibitions are. And even if we are magnanimous enough to forgive him for that one indiscretion, then how can he explain his sleeping with Jinzhi a second time, which got her pregnant? Sometimes, I feel that Murong Feng is even more despicable and unforgivable by sleeping with Jinzhi, getting her pregnant, and then still treating her with such neglect and meanness. He betrays and cheats on Jingwan, and then when he meets up with Jingwan again years later, he wants to drop Jinzhi (who is pregnant with his child) without a thought! This guy is truly a monster.
    Still, Murong Feng thought that he was with Jing Wan when he was actually with Jing Zhi. Although it was really wrong of him to drowned his sadness in alcohol after Jing Wan's miscarriage, it is the typical thing for a guy to do. Guys just don't know how to deal with a girl's tears...

As for Kuk Wai, where has he been when Ling has been attempting to kill Yan? He knows how vicious Ling is and he should have been there to protect Yan. Then we can talk about forgiveness.

^^Your reply to Tweety's comment about feathers growing out again gives off sinister vibes...
    Shhh...!!! Don't tell tweety, but I gave her a FAKE spoiler!!!! Well, she won't be able to know for sure whether it's fake or real until she reads the real ending, so she'll have to wait out those 4 years anyway!

My mind is really readable, isn't it?
    Yup, you're showing your desperation for a LSS-HG pairing. Don't get your hopes up. Even if I use LSS in the story, I may not be able to satisfy your level of expectation for the LSS-HG couple.

No problem. In fact, the Mandarin pinyin names can just be used for personal references. The story itself is already authentic, even without the Mandarin translations.
    Thanks.

Says the person who started posting half naked pictures of Wallace in his thread... You are even more incorrigible than either me or tweety.
    Hey, but you drooled right along with me when I posted those pics, so this is the pot calling the kettle black!

Yes, I'm so glad that I'm done with that class (it's based on the quarter system) and can now enjoy my spring break.
    Going anywhere for spring break? Maybe to a beach destination in an exotic location? Maybe you'll meet a Wallace Chung look-alike. When I think of Wallace, I think of dark, balmy nights on a sandy, secluded beach, with the pale moonlight splashing down onto his rippling muscles, creating seductive shadows while illuminating the droplets of moisture glistening on his naked torso. What do you think about that, huh?

Sadly, I'm also completely caught up on your story so I must agonize over what will happen next along with everyone else on this thread.
    Maybe you should meditate like H.Ge-C.Liu. She claims she can wait a hundred years for the next update and not bat an eyelash.

When you paint such a brutal picture of his life, I guess I understand his ruthlessness better. But I also feel like he jokes around to much with Yan if he truly was such a vicious killer. Right now, I'm getting the vibe that he's more of a 花花公子 than a calculating 武林高手. Actually, now that I think about it, he seems a bit like Ouyang Ke in Legend of the Condor Hero.
    I don't think SCN needs to have a constantly cold demeanor to be considered calculating and ruthless. In real life, we, as complex human beings, have different aspects of our personality, and we reveal select faces of our personality in different situations to different people. SCN is no different. He can still show a sense of humor and charm when he is with Yan and yet strike when he deems necessary when confronting an enemy. I think the charming types are much more dangerous than the outwardly cold ones, because you never know when they'll slit your throat.

SCN does have some similarities to Ouyang Ke. However, while I view Ouyang Ke as a playboy (not so much the Ouyang Ke in the LOCH 08 version, though), I don't really see SCN as one. He's charming and flirtatious, but notice that he's only flirtatious and playful with Yan. You see, SCN is actually a very serious person. He doesn't smile genuinely at all when he's with his sect members. He's motivated and focused when he wants something (or someone). And while he flirts with Yan a lot, he's not a womanizer who chases everything in a skirt. So far, the other female he has encountered in the story is Ling, who is also a very beautiful woman, even though she is not as heavenly as her younger sister in the story. Ouyang Ke would want BOTH sisters, while SCN does not care much for Ling. He finds one woman he wants (Yan) and thus far his eyes have not wandered elsewhere since he made his decision to marry Yan.

I totally agree that A'Chu's change was really abrupt though. He was so happy-go-lucky one day and then started threatening A'Ci with his gang the next.
    Yup, Ah Chu's character change is not really explained well in the drama. I'm hoping that genna will be able to tell me if the novel handles the change in personality better once she gets a chance to read the novel. Although, I have to say that I like the threatening, mob-boss Ah Chu very much. He retains his humor and playfulness with Ya Shu, but his steeliness and coldness when dealing with his enemies make him so hot. It's weird, but suddenly SCN and Ah Chu seem pretty similar...

Still, Murong Feng thought that he was with Jing Wan when he was actually with Jing Zhi. Although it was really wrong of him to drowned his sadness in alcohol after Jing Wan's miscarriage, it is the typical thing for a guy to do. Guys just don't know how to deal with a girl's tears...
    I think somebody is being extra lenient toward Murong Feng because she keeps seeing Wallace's handsome face when she thinks of Murong. Ok, let's not count that one drunken indiscretion. Then what about the second time he slept with Jinzhi? He wasn't drunk that time, yet he slept with her and got her pregnant, and then he wanted to dump her once he found Jingwan again. If he didn't love Jinzhi and had his heart set on locating and reuniting with Jingwan, then he shouldn't have touched Jinzhi a second time. And if he decided to continue a relationship with Jinzhi and acknowledge her as his wife by sleeping with her, then for goodness sake, treat her with some respect and kindness! He was being so irresponsible, unfair, and heartless to both women by continuing to sleep with Jinzhi while loving Jingwan and then trying to dump the pregnant Jinzhi once he thought he might have some hope of winning Jingwan back!

spoiler for TLTSILY novel

By the way, I heard that Murong Feng had FOUR children with Jinzhi in the novel, so he's even more despicable in the novel than in the drama.

As for Kuk Wai, where has he been when Ling has been attempting to kill Yan? He knows how vicious Ling is and he should have been there to protect Yan. Then we can talk about forgiveness.
    Whoa, you sound mad enough to tear poor Kuk Wai apart!

Shhh...!!! Don't tell tweety, but I gave her a FAKE spoiler!!!! Well, she won't be able to know for sure whether it's fake or real until she reads the real ending, so she'll have to wait out those 4 years anyway!
    Oh, how you 'torture' Tweety!

Yup, you're showing your desperation for a LSS-HG pairing. Don't get your hopes up. Even if I use LSS in the story, I may not be able to satisfy your level of expectation for the LSS-HG couple.
    I've learnt not to have high expectations for ShiGe after the Da Mo Yao fiasco. I'll be happy if they "remain together" at the end of the novel (doesn't matter if one of them has to die in the end. I just don't want a romance in which one of them leaves him/her for someone else, like what LSS' character will do in Da Mo Yao) .

Maybe you should meditate like H.Ge-C.Liu. She claims she can wait a hundred years for the next update and not bat an eyelash.
    Mel's telling tales again... That was not my original post.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/2923/canary.jpg')

Hey, but you drooled right along with me when I posted those pics, so this is the pot calling the kettle black!
    Yes, but as the instigator, I think you are guiltier than the rest of us.

Going anywhere for spring break? Maybe to a beach destination in an exotic location? Maybe you'll meet a Wallace Chung look-alike. When I think of Wallace, I think of dark, balmy nights on a sandy, secluded beach, with the pale moonlight splashing down onto his rippling muscles, creating seductive shadows while illuminating the droplets of moisture glistening on his naked torso. What do you think about that, huh?
    *drool* See? You're instigating these naughty thoughts in my head again. But, no, I'm not going to a secluded beach with Wallace Chung (although I really wish I was). I flew home yesterday and am going to bum around for six days. Then back to school...

Yup, Ah Chu's character change is not really explained well in the drama. I'm hoping that genna will be able to tell me if the novel handles the change in personality better once she gets a chance to read the novel. Although, I have to say that I like the threatening, mob-boss Ah Chu very much. He retains his humor and playfulness with Ya Shu, but his steeliness and coldness when dealing with his enemies make him so hot. It's weird, but suddenly SCN and Ah Chu seem pretty similar...
    Now that you mention it, he is similar of A'Chu. I think I like him more now.

I think somebody is being extra lenient toward Murong Feng because she keeps seeing Wallace's handsome face when she thinks of Murong. Ok, let's not count that one drunken indiscretion. Then what about the second time he slept with Jinzhi? He wasn't drunk that time, yet he slept with her and got her pregnant, and then he wanted to dump her once he found Jingwan again. If he didn't love Jinzhi and had his heart set on locating and reuniting with Jingwan, then he shouldn't have touched Jinzhi a second time. And if he decided to continue a relationship with Jinzhi and acknowledge her as his wife by sleeping with her, then for goodness sake, treat her with some respect and kindness! He was being so irresponsible, unfair, and heartless to both women by continuing to sleep with Jinzhi while loving Jingwan and then trying to dump the pregnant Jinzhi once he thought he might have some hope of winning Jingwan back!

spoiler for TLTSILY novel

By the way, I heard that Murong Feng had FOUR children with Jinzhi in the novel, so he's even more despicable in the novel than in the drama.
    He was married to her for 8 years! And unless he's gay, with her throwing herself at him like that, I would be surprised if he didn't slip up. Okay, I am being extra lenient because he is played by delightful, delightful Wallace. If it had been anyone else acting as Murong Feng, I would have been howling for his blood right now.

Whoa, you sound mad enough to tear poor Kuk Wai apart!
    You bet I am. I don't like weak male characters. But I'll wait to see if he redeems himself.

Yes, but as the instigator, I think you are guiltier than the rest of us.
    At least, I criticize his character when his character is a jerk. You, missy, on the other hand, will let him get away with murder just because he has a handsome face. Shameless! You're completely blinded by his hotness.

*drool* See? You're instigating these naughty thoughts in my head again. But, no, I'm not going to a secluded beach with Wallace Chung (although I really wish I was). I flew home yesterday and am going to bum around for six days. Then back to school...
    My goal is to fill your head with naughty thoughts of Wallace so that you'll be so enamored of him that you'll continue reading my story.

How are your first few days of bumming around? And where's home for you, if you don't mind my asking?

Now that you mention it, he is similar of A'Chu. I think I like him more now.
    Yes, it's funny how similar Ah Chu and SCN are! No wonder I was attracted to Ah Chu's character, since I already liked his type when I penned SCN way before I started watching Yi Chu Ji Fa.

He was married to her for 8 years! And unless he's gay, with her throwing herself at him like that, I would be surprised if he didn't slip up.
    I would rather that Murong Feng sleep with Su Ying. Other than the fact that I find Su Ying infinitely more attractive than Jingwan and Jinzhi, at least she LOOKS like Jingwan. Therefore, if Murong Feng sleeps with her, we can tell ourselves he is pining over Jingwan and can't control himself in the presence of someone who looks like Jingwan's identical twin. Sleeping with Jinzhi, on the other, just makes him a heartless jerk who cannot stay faithful to the woman he professes to love SO MUCH.

Okay, I am being extra lenient because he is played by delightful, delightful Wallace. If it had been anyone else acting as Murong Feng, I would have been howling for his blood right now.
    Yes, we've already established how shameless you are with your double standards.

You bet I am. I don't like weak male characters. But I'll wait to see if he redeems himself.
    Kuk Wai will probably never be able to redeem himself in your eyes. He already made one huge mistake by betraying Yan with her sister, Ling. How can any woman forgive that? And even if Yan forgives him, I doubt she will ever be able to erase the image of Kuk Wai and Ling in bed.