+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 317

Thread: Legendary Book of Sun-Moon Swordplay - The Prequel

  1. #281
    Senior Member Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xaari View Post
    LOL cute squirrel! And fireflies are always a staple in bringing lovers together, haha.
    I wasn't sure what sounds squirrels made, so I watched a few youtube videos of squirrels before writing that part of the scene. What would I do without youtube, right? And what love scene would be complete without the cliched fireflies? Now all I need is to have someone fall off some cliff and stand right back up without a single broken bone or scratch to make my story a real wuxia story. Haha.

    As for the rest...oh my delicate sensitivities, I nearly choked from laughter! I suppose even Yan does crazy things when drunk. Good thing SCN can hold his liquor, and how fortunate there's a cold lake nearby, hahahaha.
    I'm glad you choked from laughter. That ending part is meant to be funny, although I put the author's warning up just in case since I never know what is acceptable to everyone else. Not only is Yan crazy when she's drunk, but I think she's downright lethal. I got the birthday idea from you, since it was just recently your birthday. (Happy birthday!) I was stuck for a long time with the ending of this chapter, because I couldn't make up my mind whether I wanted SCN to be a gentleman or a perverted scoundrel, which he is most of the time, sort of.

  2. #282
    Member Xaari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I wasn't sure what sounds squirrels made, so I watched a few youtube videos of squirrels before writing that part of the scene. What would I do without youtube, right? And what love scene would be complete without the cliched fireflies? Now all I need is to have someone fall off some cliff and stand right back up without a single broken bone or scratch to make my story a real wuxia story. Haha.
    Hahaha, that's just the sort of thing I resort to when I write stories too! High five! I research even the most mundane details just to make sure I haven't ruined anything with my ignorance. Maybe the Floating Cloud Summit can accommodate a cliff or two for a dramatic wuxia fall?

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I'm glad you choked from laughter. That ending part is meant to be funny, although I put the author's warning up just in case since I never know what is acceptable to everyone else. Not only is Yan crazy when she's drunk, but I think she's downright lethal. I got the birthday idea from you, since it was just recently your birthday. (Happy birthday!) I was stuck for a long time with the ending of this chapter, because I couldn't make up my mind whether I wanted SCN to be a gentleman or a perverted scoundrel, which he is most of the time, sort of.
    All I needed to do was imagine the look on SCN's face when Yan's hands roamed in inappropriate places.

    Aww, thanks Melanie! Tell me when your birthday is so that your readers can throw you a virtual birthday bash. Your other talented readers can make posters and MVs, while I can whip up a piece of flash fiction to fulfill a story idea you have in mind, haha.

  3. #283
    Senior Member Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,665

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Xaari View Post
    Hahaha, that's just the sort of thing I resort to when I write stories too! High five! I research even the most mundane details just to make sure I haven't ruined anything with my ignorance.
    Ah, I don't research nearly as much as you do. I know the research part is half the fun, as I learn fun facts in my research, but sometimes I just don't have the energy or time to put into research. I have enough problems coming up with what should happen next in the story. That's why I have made my story purely fictional, so that I don't have to worry about real historical figures, who are much more difficult to deal with since their fates have already been determined. But it doesn't mean I don't like to sit back and enjoy others' historical fiction.

    Maybe the Floating Cloud Summit can accommodate a cliff or two for a dramatic wuxia fall?
    Perhaps I can have SCN push KW off a cliff. In every story, we always see a jealous woman pushing the competition off a cliff. Maybe I'll have the men do that in the story instead.


    All I needed to do was imagine the look on SCN's face when Yan's hands roamed in inappropriate places.
    Yea, that was priceless. She was torturing him and we're laughing at his expense. I wanted to go further, but I was afraid of the spcnet police.

    Aww, thanks Melanie! Tell me when your birthday is so that your readers can throw you a virtual birthday bash. Your other talented readers can make posters and MVs, while I can whip up a piece of flash fiction to fulfill a story idea you have in mind, haha.
    Thanks. Not that I don't like gifts, but I know everyone is busy. However, on the rare chance that you have time, I wouldn't mind seeing your flash fiction.

  4. #284
    Senior Member tweety365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,478

    Default

    Such a sweet, hot, and funny chapter…. did I mention hot?

    The story of Sun God and his Ruby Dust is so sad, but I love it. Reminds me of all those Greek stories I read growing up. I think I told you before which ones were my favorites, right?

    Btw, I've been wondering for the longest time, how big is this travel sack of Black Rose anyway? It seems like she is carrying a pharmacy of drugs in that sack. She whips out these miraculous powders that is just perfect for her use in pretty much any event. I suppose I should just chalk this up to the wonders of fiction writing and focus on the smexy SCN and his sweet angel

    But no pushing KW off any cliff . The poor guy has suffered enough. Nobody cares for him

  5. #285
    Senior Member xia0yuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    232

    Default

    I disappear for a couple of days and you put out a new chapter!!! Yay, I think I should disappear more often.

    That was really quite a hot, hot chapter but don't worry, I guess my sensibilities are not delicate enough because I wasn't offended the slightest. I'm really glad SCN was a gentleman though, because I really hate plot lines where the guy and girl are drunkenly intimate and have to work out through their feelings later. And it's even worse if only the girl is drunk, because then the guy would have technically committed rape.

    I wish you had used the chinese form or 'elder brother' because I think Ge'ge (哥哥) sounds much better than 'elder brother' or even Da Ge (大哥), which is what Jing Wan calls Murong Feng in TLTSILY. I shuddered every time I heard her call him that because it sounded really awkward and she looked like he should have been calling her Jie'jie. I think Ge'ge would also fit Yan's playful and innocent personality more. Think how Huang Rong always calls Guo Jing 'Jing Ge'ge'. Yan Yan should call Kuk Wai 'Wai Ge'ge'!

    Hmm, putting a bit of xian xia into your story now. Is this because of Heavy Sweetness, Ash-like Frost's influence? Hehehe.

    Just curious, but how old are the major characters? Yan Yan seems like she would be 18/19, while SCN seems 24/25.

    I love a jealous SCN. More please!
    Currently translating 香蜜沉沉烬如霜 at a very minute pace:
    http://xia0yuer.tumblr.com/

  6. #286
    Senior Member Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,665

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    Such a sweet, hot, and funny chapter…. did I mention hot?
    Actually, I expected you to scream, "False advertising!"

    The story of Sun God and his Ruby Dust is so sad, but I love it. Reminds me of all those Greek stories I read growing up. I think I told you before which ones were my favorites, right?
    Ummm...let me take a guess... Your favorite Greek mythology story is the one about Persephone?

    Btw, I've been wondering for the longest time, how big is this travel sack of Black Rose anyway? It seems like she is carrying a pharmacy of drugs in that sack. She whips out these miraculous powders that is just perfect for her use in pretty much any event. I suppose I should just chalk this up to the wonders of fiction writing and focus on the smexy SCN and his sweet angel
    You know, the weirdest thing was that I was going to add a few short sentences in this chapter where SCN asked Yan what she kept in that bag of hers and have him comment that her travel sack seemed to have a bottomless pit. But then, I didn't add that part in because I thought it would be too superfluous. Her bag is the wuxia version of the Mary Poppins bag. Hehe. I think she might have a camel in there, in case she ends up crossing the desert.

    But no pushing KW off any cliff . The poor guy has suffered enough. Nobody cares for him
    On the contrary, I think KW gets lots of love from the one person that matters - Yan. Can't you tell that she's still in love with him?





    Quote Originally Posted by xia0yuer View Post
    I disappear for a couple of days and you put out a new chapter!!! Yay, I think I should disappear more often.
    I hope your disappearance means you are working on translating the next chapter of the Jin Mi novel. I've been refreshing your site a million times a day looking for an update.

    That was really quite a hot, hot chapter but don't worry, I guess my sensibilities are not delicate enough because I wasn't offended the slightest. I'm really glad SCN was a gentleman though, because I really hate plot lines where the guy and girl are drunkenly intimate and have to work out through their feelings later. And it's even worse if only the girl is drunk, because then the guy would have technically committed rape.
    I tried listening to the audiobook chapter on Rong Zhi and Chu Yu in the forest that you had provided, but I gave up since I couldn't understand most of it anyway. So I hope my chapter is somewhat more toned down than Feng Qiu Huang's chapter since I don't want to shock anyone.

    Yea, I thought having SCN and Yan become intimate because Yan was drunk was a bad idea (like Yu-er and HQB in DMY). It won't win SCN any points with her, either, and since I'm favoring SCN right now, I want to make him somewhat likable. Plus, if I turn SCN into a rapist, I'm sure I will tick off many readers. The funny thing is, someone emailed me and asked when they will finally "get together" after reading this chapter. I think this particular reader is getting impatient.

    I wish you had used the chinese form or 'elder brother' because I think Ge'ge (哥哥) sounds much better than 'elder brother' or even Da Ge (大哥), which is what Jing Wan calls Murong Feng in TLTSILY. I shuddered every time I heard her call him that because it sounded really awkward and she looked like he should have been calling her Jie'jie. I think Ge'ge would also fit Yan's playful and innocent personality more. Think how Huang Rong always calls Guo Jing 'Jing Ge'ge'. Yan Yan should call Kuk Wai 'Wai Ge'ge'!
    Initially, I wanted to use "ge ge" or even "da ge" for Yan's form of address for Kuk Wai, but decided against it because I wanted to use all English for the story and be consistent. You are correct in that "elder brother" doesn't sound as cute or intimate, given that Yan nearly married Kuk Wai, if it were not for Ling's evil clutches. Should I go back and change Yan's form of address for Kuk Wai (it's not a big deal), or should I leave it be and have Yan address SCN as "Nam Ge Ge" later on as the story progresses?

    Hmm, putting a bit of xian xia into your story now. Is this because of Heavy Sweetness, Ash-like Frost's influence? Hehehe.
    Yup! I initially thought of just using humans in the Sun God-Ruby Dust story but later switched to using immortals, as I was so tickled by your translation of the Jin Mi story.

    Just curious, but how old are the major characters? Yan Yan seems like she would be 18/19, while SCN seems 24/25.
    Yan should have just turned 19. (It's her birthday in this chapter!). SCN is suppose to be an older character, 29 or 30, as mentioned in the beginning. I just want a more mature male lead, someone stable and knows exactly what he wants in life. I don't want a 20-something-year-old who dallies with this female and that female before finally realizing which girl he loves.

    I love a jealous SCN. More please!
    Well, I suggested having a jealous SCN push KW off a cliff, but tweety objected.

  7. #287
    Senior Member tweety365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,478

    Default

    A jealous SCN is hot, but can we please avoid doing physical harm to poor KW? What has the unlucky man done to deserve such punishment? Surely there are other ways for SCN to vent his volatile emotions. Regarding Yan's feelings for KW, first love is always the hardest to forget, but it is not the only love. Plus, I'm still not convinced that Yan truly loves KW.

    Yes, the story of Persephone and Hades is still one of my favorites. You still remember.

    Also, I forgot to mention that I also agree it is too early for the sexy bandit to hook up with his little fairy. Especially if Yan is drunk and totally unaware of the situation, it's not a good way to start a relationship. Smart move, Mel . SCN is all heart when it comes Yan.
    Last edited by tweety365; 08-06-12 at 01:01 AM.

  8. #288
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    4,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Well, I suggested having a jealous SCN push KW off a cliff, but tweety objected.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  9. #289
    Senior Member Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    First of all...

    Charbydis, you never fail to make me laugh! Where have you been these days? We don't see you around the forum that much anymore, and we all miss your strange humor.




    Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    A jealous SCN is hot, but can we please avoid doing physical harm to poor KW? What has the unlucky man done to deserve such punishment? Surely there are other ways for SCN to vent his volatile emotions.
    I find picking on poor KW strangely satisfying and somehow it gives me the jollies.

    Regarding Yan's feelings for KW, first love is always the hardest to forget, but it is not the only love. Plus, I'm still not convinced that Yan truly loves KW.
    I don't think the love Yan has for KW is the forever kind of love, so yes, you're right when you say that you are not sure Yan loves KW that much. She has puppy love for him, as she has known him since she was a young girl and hero-worships him. He will always be the tall, dashing gentleman to her, and nobody can replace him in her heart, not even SCN. But like you say, first love is not the only love. Some people do end up happily ever after with their first loves, but there are some who mature and find that there is a more suitable love for them out there beyond their first love.

    Yes, the story of Persephone and Hades is still one of my favorites. You still remember.
    Yup, I still remember. Why do you love Persephone so much, anyway?

    Also, I forgot to mention that I also agree it is too early for the sexy bandit to hook up with his little fairy. Especially if Yan is drunk and totally unaware of the situation, it's not a good way to start a relationship. Smart move, Mel . SCN is all heart when it comes Yan.
    Yea, I thought it was too early, too. I wanted to give Yan the chance to freely choose between SCN and KW without being tied down by that fact that she had already been intimate with one of the men.

  10. #290
    Senior Member xia0yuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I hope your disappearance means you are working on translating the next chapter of the Jin Mi novel. I've been refreshing your site a million times a day looking for an update.
    Hehe.

    I tried listening to the audiobook chapter on Rong Zhi and Chu Yu in the forest that you had provided, but I gave up since I couldn't understand most of it anyway. So I hope my chapter is somewhat more toned down than Feng Qiu Huang's chapter since I don't want to shock anyone.
    Since Yan and SCN didn't actually do anything, I think Feng Qiu Huang is more shocking. Okay, it's not like it was erotica or anything, but it was slightly graphic and I wasn't expecting a sex scene because in BBJX, DMY and some other books, the author just leaves a lot more up to the reader's imagination. In Heavy Sweetness, Ash-like Frost, the scenes are slightly graphic but not as much as Feng Qiu Huang, and I guess I was already used to such scenes because I did not blush like crazy when I read those scenes.

    Yea, I thought having SCN and Yan become intimate because Yan was drunk was a bad idea (like Yu-er and HQB in DMY). It won't win SCN any points with her, either, and since I'm favoring SCN right now, I want to make him somewhat likable. Plus, if I turn SCN into a rapist, I'm sure I will tick off many readers. The funny thing is, someone emailed me and asked when they will finally "get together" after reading this chapter. I think this particular reader is getting impatient.
    I was a little bit more okay with Yu'er and HQB because they were both a bit drunk. I'm definitely not okay with the male lead taking advantage of the female lead when she is drunk to bind her to him. It happened in one of the novels I dropped halfway and I seriously wanted to skin the male lead, Cao Cao, alive. And about your reader, I think that person just wants more hot Yan/SCN scenes. I fully agree.

    Initially, I wanted to use "ge ge" or even "da ge" for Yan's form of address for Kuk Wai, but decided against it because I wanted to use all English for the story and be consistent. You are correct in that "elder brother" doesn't sound as cute or intimate, given that Yan nearly married Kuk Wai, if it were not for Ling's evil clutches. Should I go back and change Yan's form of address for Kuk Wai (it's not a big deal), or should I leave it be and have Yan address SCN as "Nam Ge Ge" later on as the story progresses?
    Yes! Change it to Ge'ge! Though since you are using Cantonese for the character names, should it be Gor'gor?

    Yan should have just turned 19. (It's her birthday in this chapter!). SCN is suppose to be an older character, 29 or 30, as mentioned in the beginning. I just want a more mature male lead, someone stable and knows exactly what he wants in life. I don't want a 20-something-year-old who dallies with this female and that female before finally realizing which girl he loves.
    What about Kuk Wai? And our BYL and her hubby?

    Well, I suggested having a jealous SCN push KW off a cliff, but tweety objected.
    Hahaha, I would also have to object to that because I am strangely warming up to Kuk Wai, especially because of how considerate he was in the past two chapters. I think what kind of bothers me about SCN is that he always calls Yan 'sweetheart'. Not going to lie, but I shudder every time someone tries to call me sweetheart, baby or honey. Those terms sound really fake to me.

    Can I request for more Kuk Wai development? Have you finished DMY? If you could turn Kuk Wai into as sad but as memorable of a character as Meng Jiu was, I would be extremely, really, really happy. I'll bribe you with Heavy Sweetness, Ash-like Frost chapters!
    Currently translating 香蜜沉沉烬如霜 at a very minute pace:
    http://xia0yuer.tumblr.com/

  11. #291
    Senior Member Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xia0yuer View Post
    Hehe.
    What in the world do the and "hehe" mean? Does this mean that you will have a new translated chapter soon?

    I was a little bit more okay with Yu'er and HQB because they were both a bit drunk. I'm definitely not okay with the male lead taking advantage of the female lead when she is drunk to bind her to him. It happened in one of the novels I dropped halfway and I seriously wanted to skin the male lead, Cao Cao, alive. And about your reader, I think that person just wants more hot Yan/SCN scenes. I fully agree.
    I wasn't that ok with the Yu'er and HQB first-time intimacy scene, drunk or not. I thought HQB should have had better control. I am sure he could hold his liquor quite well, and though he was slightly drunk, he was still pretty coherent and realized what he was doing. I kept thinking that had he not held back information about Meng Jiu trying to find Yu'er and if he had not become intimate with Yu'er while poor Meng Jiu was trying to look for her, HQB may not have won over Yu'er's heart.

    Yes! Change it to Ge'ge! Though since you are using Cantonese for the character names, should it be Gor'gor?
    For some reason, "gor gor" doesn't sound as good as "ge ge." How about using "big brother," like "Big Brother Wai?"

    Hey, what does everyone else think?

    What about Kuk Wai? And our BYL and her hubby?
    Kuk Wai should be about the same age as SCN. I want them both to be pretty close together in age. So maybe about 28-30? (I think our Yan likes older men, because she thinks their maturity is sexy. )

    BYL is 18-19, like Yan.

    I'll get back to you regarding MJH. There's something about him I need to work out first. But he's going to be somewhere in his 20s.

    Hahaha, I would also have to object to that because I am strangely warming up to Kuk Wai, especially because of how considerate he was in the past two chapters.
    Tweety (and charby) would be thrilled to hear this.

    I think what kind of bothers me about SCN is that he always calls Yan 'sweetheart'. Not going to lie, but I shudder every time someone tries to call me sweetheart, baby or honey. Those terms sound really fake to me.
    Hmmm... Having SCN come off as fake is not my intention... I didn't realize the term "sweetheart" sounded so fake. I will stop using it from now on and just have him refer to her as "Yan Yan." I may go back and take out the "sweetheart" term if I have time.

    Can I request for more Kuk Wai development? Have you finished DMY? If you could turn Kuk Wai into as sad but as memorable of a character as Meng Jiu was, I would be extremely, really, really happy. I'll bribe you with Heavy Sweetness, Ash-like Frost chapters!
    Yea, there will be more Kuk Wai development. I actually like Wallace Huo, despite what people may think because of his character in my story. In a love triangle, someone has to lose out, unfortunately, as I don't see SCN and KW agreeing to "share" Yan, like the male consorts have to do with Chu Yu in Feng Qiu Huang. I think what's going to be different in this particular triangle as compared to the triangle in DMY is that Yan may not necessarily be so quick to choose SCN over KW, whereas Yu'er has pretty much already tied herself to HQB by the time she saw MJ again. Yan is certainly attracted to SCN because she reluctantly finds him handsome and darkly exciting. But KW is still her hero. And let's admit it; she's still angry, jealous, and resentful of KW's intimacy with Ling. She would have to be a saint to not have those feelings. (I guess if she really, truly loves KW, then she would find a way to work around those feelings, like tweety once pointed out.) SCN will somehow need to convince her that he can be her hero, too.

    Yes, please more Heavy Sweetness, Ash-like Frost chapters! I was very sad when I found the summary for Grand Dreams of Spring and Autumn rather than a translated HSAF chapter.

  12. #292
    Senior Member xia0yuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    What in the world do the and "hehe" mean? Does this mean that you will have a new translated chapter soon?


    I wasn't that ok with the Yu'er and HQB first-time intimacy scene, drunk or not. I thought HQB should have had better control. I am sure he could hold his liquor quite well, and though he was slightly drunk, he was still pretty coherent and realized what he was doing. I kept thinking that had he not held back information about Meng Jiu trying to find Yu'er and if he had not become intimate with Yu'er while poor Meng Jiu was trying to look for her, HQB may not have won over Yu'er's heart.
    I also hated that HQB held back the information about Meng Jiu looking for her. Poor Jiu Ye even kneeled in front of Housekeeper Chen, just for any information about Yu'er. T.T

    Though, I think Yu'er would have still chosen HQB in the end. I think, even in the beginning, she had feelings for HQB because when she came to Chang An, it was him that she looked for, it was him that she wanted to see at the end of the hallway. I always felt that her romance with Jiu Ye stemmed from her love for her father. Every time Jiu Ye took care of her, wiping her newly pierced earlobes or sending her prescriptions to cure her fake stomach or headaches, she would think of her father. But HQB was different. She always acted like herself in front of him, playful and carefree. While she may have agreed to marry him in a confused state after their first time, she realized that she loved him beyond what she had previously believed after that archery contest with Yi Zhi Xie.

    Here's the except (koala's translation):

    When he was done talking, he ignored everyone and took big steps towards me. In front of everyone he pulled me into his embrace, half lifted my veil, and lowered his head and kissed me. The buzzing around us ceased and turned to silence.

    In the silent plains, even the wind appears to have stopped. All I can hear is his heartbeat and my heartbeat. Everything faded from my heart, so that in this entire world there was only him and me, me and him.

    In a brief moment, it felt like an entire lifetime. From the first time I saw him and ours eyes met until this very moment, all these memories flashed through my mind. In this moment I finally knew, that in the little by little, in the unaware and the subconscious, he had already permanently carved himself on my heart.

    At the cusp of losing him, I finally understood how much I fear losing him. My heart hurts, hurts so much that my body shakes in his embrace. But…..the heavens are cruel sometimes. So all I can do is use every ounce of my passion to kiss him back. Let him know my heart.


    And if Yu'er did not love HQB, I don't think she would have stayed with him when she returned to Chang An. She's not the type to care about her reputation (otherwise why would she run an entertainment house and have HQB's child without marrying him first?) and Jiu Ye already told her that he didn't care if she was intimate with HQB. She could have easily escaped the danger of Chang An by leaving with Jiu Ye for Xi Yu, but she chose to stay out of her love for Huo Qu Bing. I think it just took her longer to realize the depth of her love for HQB because she was moved by Jiu Ye's gentleness, who reminded her of what having a family felt like.

    For some reason, "gor gor" doesn't sound as good as "ge ge." How about using "big brother," like "Big Brother Wai?"
    Haha, my first choice would be to have it changed to Ge'ge, but if you want to keep everything in english, I think 'Big Brother' sounds better than 'Elder Brother'.

    Hmmm... Having SCN come off as fake is not my intention... I didn't realize the term "sweetheart" sounded so fake. I will stop using it from now on and just have him refer to her as "Yan Yan." I may go back and take out the "sweetheart" term if I have time.
    This is just my two cents. I'm sure most other people don't get the chills when someone calls them 'sweetheart', but I think that's one of the reasons I had a hard time warming up to SCN.
    Currently translating 香蜜沉沉烬如霜 at a very minute pace:
    http://xia0yuer.tumblr.com/

  13. #293
    Senior Member tweety365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,478

    Default

    Just my 2 cents, but I actually like it when SCN refers to YY as sweetheart. It fits his character. Why, you might ask? For me, the word gives the impression of endearment, but also can come from men who are experienced with women, trying to charm them. Although respectful toward YY most of the time, SCN is still a bandit, not a true gentleman. I think I’ve been reading too many of those bodice ripping dirty romance novels hahahaha.

    Perhaps you should skip the “elder brother” term and just use the character’s name. It really depends on how you want to retain the wuxia feel of the story.

  14. #294
    Senior Member Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,665

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by xia0yuer View Post
    When is the next translated chapter going to be posted?

    I also hated that HQB held back the information about Meng Jiu looking for her. Poor Jiu Ye even kneeled in front of Housekeeper Chen, just for any information about Yu'er. T.T

    Though, I think Yu'er would have still chosen HQB in the end. I think, even in the beginning, she had feelings for HQB because when she came to Chang An, it was him that she looked for, it was him that she wanted to see at the end of the hallway. I always felt that her romance with Jiu Ye stemmed from her love for her father. Every time Jiu Ye took care of her, wiping her newly pierced earlobes or sending her prescriptions to cure her fake stomach or headaches, she would think of her father. But HQB was different. She always acted like herself in front of him, playful and carefree. While she may have agreed to marry him in a confused state after their first time, she realized that she loved him beyond what she had previously believed after that archery contest with Yi Zhi Xie.

    Here's the except (koala's translation):

    When he was done talking, he ignored everyone and took big steps towards me. In front of everyone he pulled me into his embrace, half lifted my veil, and lowered his head and kissed me. The buzzing around us ceased and turned to silence.

    In the silent plains, even the wind appears to have stopped. All I can hear is his heartbeat and my heartbeat. Everything faded from my heart, so that in this entire world there was only him and me, me and him.

    In a brief moment, it felt like an entire lifetime. From the first time I saw him and ours eyes met until this very moment, all these memories flashed through my mind. In this moment I finally knew, that in the little by little, in the unaware and the subconscious, he had already permanently carved himself on my heart.

    At the cusp of losing him, I finally understood how much I fear losing him. My heart hurts, hurts so much that my body shakes in his embrace. But…..the heavens are cruel sometimes. So all I can do is use every ounce of my passion to kiss him back. Let him know my heart.


    And if Yu'er did not love HQB, I don't think she would have stayed with him when she returned to Chang An. She's not the type to care about her reputation (otherwise why would she run an entertainment house and have HQB's child without marrying him first?) and Jiu Ye already told her that he didn't care if she was intimate with HQB. She could have easily escaped the danger of Chang An by leaving with Jiu Ye for Xi Yu, but she chose to stay out of her love for Huo Qu Bing. I think it just took her longer to realize the depth of her love for HQB because she was moved by Jiu Ye's gentleness, who reminded her of what having a family felt like.
    I guess all is fair in love. Perhaps I am so peeved at HQB, because regardless of whether Yu'er ended up realizing that she loved him, he should have given her a fair chance to choose between him and Meng Jiu. Even though Yu'er was most definitely attracted to HQB, she was in love MJ and wished to spend the rest of her life with him, regardless whether that love was hero-worship or the type of love that lasted a lifetime. I am pretty sure that if Yu'er had found out about MJ's change of heart, she would have fled back to him if she had not already tied herself to HQB. In withholding the information about MJ's change of heart from Yu'er, HQB essentially was unfairly giving himself the advantage.

    But like I said, all is fair in love. I think most men would do what HQB did. I shouldn't find fault with what HQB did, since SCN, a character I created, technically also kept KW's presence from Yan when he reunited with Yan in North Star Town...







    Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    Just my 2 cents, but I actually like it when SCN refers to YY as sweetheart. It fits his character. Why, you might ask? For me, the word gives the impression of endearment, but also can come from men who are experienced with women, trying to charm them. Although respectful toward YY most of the time, SCN is still a bandit, not a true gentleman. I think I’ve been reading too many of those bodice ripping dirty romance novels hahahaha.
    You are DEFINITELY reading too many bodice ripping dirty romance novels.

    I think you literally took the words out of my mouth and did the explaining for me. SCN's feelings for Yan were not love at first sight. Rather, he felt lust at first sight. It was only later that he started seeing her personality beyond the good looks and decided that he wanted her love in return. Therefore, his initial uses of the term "sweetheart" were more carelessly used and flippant rather than sincere. He was trying to charm her, like he would do with any woman he fancied. To him, she was not a person at that time, but a possession he wanted, and so he didn't even bother referring to her by her name. Later, as his feelings for her grew, he started to refer to her by her name, and the term "sweetheart" then became a true form of endearment. He was no longer sarcastic, trying to be facetious, or even trying to be casually flirtatious; he called her "sweetheart" because he meant it.

    However, xia0yuer does have a point. Some people use terms of endearment too casually, which then decreases the value of the endearment.


    Perhaps you should skip the “elder brother” term and just use the character’s name. It really depends on how you want to retain the wuxia feel of the story.
    Would using the character's name (without using "big brother" or "elder brother") retain the wuxia feel of the story? Or would using "big brother" retain the wuxia feel? I want Yan to address Kuk Wai with some familiarity, but I also don't want to use any terms that Chinese-illiterate readers don't understand.

  15. #295
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Huh? Still no update? Does anyone have any news from Melanie? Where has she been lately and will she continue to update this story? It's not like her to go so long without a new chapter. Usually, her chapter updates are every few weeks.

  16. #296
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Does anyone know if Melanie will be continuing this story?

  17. #297
    Senior Member Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    Black Rose and devoted reader - Thanks for hanging around this thread despite the lack of updates lately. I have been very busy with family recently, which is why I have not been able to finish up the next chapter. I am working on it, so please be patient. I think I might lose all my readers by the time the next update is posted, but I will still keep writing for those of you stubborn enough to not give up on this story.

  18. #298
    Senior Member H.Ge-C.Liu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,674

    Default

    Mel! You've finally decided to pop in for a visit!

    Your personal life is more important. We can wait~~as I said earlier, we're a very patient bunch. Besides, I re read Chapters 8 and 12 every so often as a form of entertainment. I've read the two chapters so many times I've forgotten the exact number, and I'm still not sick of it.
    I'll be here for as long as I can be, because this is the only story I'm following/reading which is in the English language. Nowadays, my world is filled with Chinese romance/wuxia novels...and work.
    Last edited by H.Ge-C.Liu; 01-21-13 at 06:42 AM.
    Biases: Hu Ge, Qiao Zhenyu, Liu Shi Shi
    Jiang Hu Fansubs - Recruiting members (especially translators).

  19. #299
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Haha! I've tracked down Melanie via email and she gave me some spoilers! She said I can post them on her behalf since she is too busy to come online right now. Below are her words to me regarding the next chapter:

    1. The enigmatic Bak Fei Long will finally make his debut appearance. Keep guessing which actor will be casted as BFL.
    2. Meanwhile, Bak Yeuk Lam and Miu Jing Hung's past will be revealed bit by bit.
    3. There will be more on Sung Hin (Yuan Hong).
    4. And of course, more conflict waits around the corner for Sit Chung Nam.

    Personally, I can't wait for the next chapter, but HG-CL is right about family coming first. However I sure hope that the next chapter will be up soon! In the meantime, I've read the entire 13 chapters 100 times already.

  20. #300
    Senior Member H.Ge-C.Liu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,674

    Default

    Sounds good! Thanks for tracking Mel down BR.
    Especially looking forward to #2 and #4.

    Sung Hin...if I remember correctly, works for Sit Chung Nam? I better go read the first few chapters to refresh my memory.
    Biases: Hu Ge, Qiao Zhenyu, Liu Shi Shi
    Jiang Hu Fansubs - Recruiting members (especially translators).

Similar Threads

  1. Legendary Book of Sun-Moon Swordplay
    By Melanie in forum Fan Fictions
    Replies: 1244
    Last Post: 08-26-14, 11:48 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-10, 08:41 AM
  3. Sun Moon Sect and Hmong
    By PJ in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-12-08, 03:28 PM
  4. Poll: Ming Cult versus Sun Moon Cult
    By augster123 in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 123
    Last Post: 08-03-06, 10:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts