Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good Laptop/notebook?

Default Looking for a good Laptop/notebook?

What do you look for in a good or great laptop/notebook? What's a good computer company besides Apple?

How is ASUS, ACER, Toshiba, HP, Dell, etc?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Because I mainly use it for school and net surfing, I don't require a lot of features. I basically look for large space (mainly for storing music), and useful preloaded software (MS Office, burner, etc.). I have HP lap top, and so far it's working fine.

My brother says that Toshiba's and Dell's are made to be tough. If that helps at all haha. I have netbook from Lenovo that I really like--in addition to a larger dell laptop--which I also really like. I once had a MAC and also with a good experience. I have also had a basic HP which did what it was performed to do--basic school work and work related activities. It was pretty though I don't recall being impressed with its performance. The only memory associated with it was how it got stolen by the maid and sold for $100 USD because she hated me.

I sort of think that a good laptop depends on how much you are willing to invest in it. I would personally look for which company offers the best customer service in addition to a nice and affordable laptop.
    I like me.

They're all OK. They all make cheap computers; some also make higher end computers. Dell used to distinguish themselves, but now they just make cheap computers like the other brands. I've seen good ones and bad ones from each maker. The specifications (memory, CPU, storage space, etc) are more important than the brand. Get the one that appeals to you after checking reviews on Amazon.
    Last edited by PJ; 11-06-11 at 10:01 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I used to use a Toshiba laptop. It lasted me a good 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    What do you look for in a good or great laptop/notebook? What's a good computer company besides Apple?

Apple computers are mainly for people in design/art programs or people who are have interest in them. This is my 5th year using my Toshiba and it works fine for standard usage like surfing internet, writing papers, etc. What are you going to mainly use your new laptop/notebook for?
    Less Than Perfect

I want a good laptop that is light and compact. What's a good screen size? My aunt has Dells and her newer laptop screen is big and wide like a briefcase. I just want a light, moderately sized screen to use for my everyday internet surfing, downloading music, writing papers, watching DVDs movies and the Asian dramas and TV shows I watch via online. I might use it for photoshop or making slideshows. Nothing high tech.

I have friends that use HP or Toshiba. I'm planning to buy my first laptop later this month to replace my 6 year old desktop computer. I might buy another desktop later on to use in addition to the desktop, so I don't wear one out so much.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 11-09-11 at 10:04 PM.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Among the names that I read in here, Toshiba is the more reliable brand -- the Portege should fit your requirements and serve you well. It is light, good battery life and performance might be more than you asked for. But I'm not sure if you would find it pricey. It range from US$1.6k onwards. You can zoom in to this model and Google up for more information.

The Indian IT guys whom I worked with often recommend Toshiba notebooks.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

I agree with Ceddie. In general, Toshiba laptop prices are higher than other brands, e.g. Dell/Acer. But it is good value for money.

I want a good laptop that is light and compact. What's a good screen size? My aunt has Dells and her newer laptop screen is big and wide like a briefcase. I just want a light, moderately sized screen to use for my everyday internet surfing, downloading music, writing papers, watching DVDs movies and the Asian dramas and TV shows I watch via online. I might use it for photoshop or making slideshows. Nothing high tech.

I have friends that use HP or Toshiba. I'm planning to buy my first laptop later this month to replace my 6 year old desktop computer. I might buy another desktop later on to use in addition to the desktop, so I don't wear one out so much.
    Give us a price range, and a preferred screen size.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

The standard screen sizes for lappy is around 14" or 15.6", there isn't much of a choice.15.6" is too bulky, imo. Protege comes in 13.3" only, BTW. Oh, SS, also check out Toshiba Tecra, another recommended model for lappy/notebook. This model can last for a long time. It is very durable. Check it out.

I'd suggest to choose your lappy that suits your usage and your budget, then decided on the size.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 11-10-11 at 07:20 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    The standard screen sizes for lappy is around 14" or 15.6", there isn't much of a choice.15.6" is too bulky, imo. Protege comes in 13.3" only, BTW. Oh, SS, also check out Toshiba Tecra, another recommended model for lappy/notebook. This model can last for a long time. It is very durable. Check it out.

I'd suggest to choose your lappy that suits your usage and your budget, then decided on the size.

Thanks all. I decided to go with a 14" Toshiba Satellite L745 Intel i3 in Navy Blue. I think it is good enough for my 1st laptop ( for now). The 14" is indeed less bulky than the 15.6. I thought I needed the larger screen, but the 14 inch works just fine.

I'm still trying to get used to the multi-touch pad. Now I need to shop for a good deal on a laptop case and a cooling/chilling mat.

Thanks all. I decided to go with a 14" Toshiba Satellite L745 Intel i3 in Navy Blue. I think it is good enough for my 1st laptop ( for now). The 14" is indeed less bulky than the 15.6. I thought I needed the larger screen, but the 14 inch works just fine.

I'm still trying to get used to the multi-touch pad. Now I need to shop for a good deal on a laptop case and a cooling/chilling mat.
    Awesome! May your T-Satellite serve u well!

Long live Toshiba. I am now using Acer. Within six weeks, the hard disk clashed. Thanks goodness, it is under gurantee. Warranty has expired. Hope that like my ex-Toshiba, it can last another five years without any repair. :-)

I personally like ASUS, the one I had lasted me 4.5 years of heavy abusive usage and is still ok.
    They have verdy solid and reliable products.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...88&ref=tn_tnmn
    This year, August 25th~26th
    1st Singapore Ancient Chinese Culture Camp, pls join if you are in Singapore. ^^

I have a 17 inch Sager from about 4 years ago which weighs 10 lbs and has a battery life of an hour. It been super stable and reliable -I only had to reinstall the OS once (WinXP Pro) in all that time, and I used it almost every other day.

I bought a 11.6 inch Acer Aspire One C-60 in Nov 2011 for $262 from Costco. I've used this for a total of 2 days (Installed Steam then Portal, Neverwinter Nights 2, On the Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness, Grotesque Tactics, Back to the Future... checked whether they were playable, and uninstalled them).

About two month ago I bought a 11.6 inch Lenovo x120e (E-350) for $318, and spent $35 to buy 8gb of RAM. It's an AMD Fusion processor like the C-60 but it runs at 1.6ghz instead of 1.0/1.3ghz. Dragon Age 2 is actually playable on this thing. I've used this for a couple of weeks now off and on, and it's pretty good.

A few days ago I saw a 11.6 inch HP DM1 (E-450) for $300... it's only 1.65ghz but the GPU is 600mhz instead of ~500mhz for the E-350...
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Quote Originally Posted by darkcser View Post
    I have a 17 inch Sager from about 4 years ago which weighs 10 lbs and has a battery life of an hour. It been super stable and reliable -I only had to reinstall the OS once (WinXP Pro) in all that time, and I used it almost every other day.

I bought a 11.6 inch Acer Aspire One C-60 in Nov 2011 for $262 from Costco. I've used this for a total of 2 days (Installed Steam then Portal, Neverwinter Nights 2, On the Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness, Grotesque Tactics, Back to the Future... checked whether they were playable, and uninstalled them).

About two month ago I bought a 11.6 inch Lenovo x120e (E-350) for $318, and spent $35 to buy 8gb of RAM. It's an AMD Fusion processor like the C-60 but it runs at 1.6ghz instead of 1.0/1.3ghz. Dragon Age 2 is actually playable on this thing. I've used this for a couple of weeks now off and on, and it's pretty good.

A few days ago I saw a 11.6 inch HP DM1 (E-450) for $300... it's only 1.65ghz but the GPU is 600mhz instead of ~500mhz for the E-350...

I'm using asus g73jw series.. 17.4" monitor for gaming.. very good spec and very ex too.. bought @ courts for $3999 2 years ago. now i see sim lim square laptop shops selling the next series for $2999 with even better spec.. lol..

Quote Originally Posted by simlimsquareshopping View Post
    I'm using asus g73jw series.. 17.4" monitor for gaming.. very good spec and very ex too.. bought @ courts for $3999 2 years ago. now i see sim lim square laptop shops selling the next series for $2999 with even better spec.. lol..
    Are those USD prices? The Asus "Republic of Gamers" line seem to run between 1,500 and 2,000 USD. I see a G74SX-AH71 with a i7/GTX560m for 1,500 USD.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

I got a new Dell about 4 months ago since my old one (5 years old also from Dell) started overheating constantly. About a month ago, my new one just died without warning...refused to load Windows. Restore partition didn't work, recovery CD didn't work blah blah blah. I went through a lot to get it running again. Needless to say, Dell customer service SUCKED majorly. Never again. You've lost a loyal customer Dell.

I'll probably just get a Mac next time, despite not being an Apple fan.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    I got a new Dell about 4 months ago since my old one (5 years old also from Dell) started overheating constantly. About a month ago, my new one just died without warning...refused to load Windows. Restore partition didn't work, recovery CD didn't work blah blah blah. I went through a lot to get it running again. Needless to say, Dell customer service SUCKED majorly. Never again. You've lost a loyal customer Dell.

I'll probably just get a Mac next time, despite not being an Apple fan.
    Yeah, I have to say Dell support in recent years has just been terrible. I bought a HTPC from them with Blu-ray, and it just couldn't play any blu-ray disc for more than 10 seconds.

I was on the phone with support for a total of 23 hours (counting the time I was waiting on hold) explaining the same problem over and over again, and telling them that I've already rebooted, removed the driver, reinstalled the drivers, removed the player software, reinstalled the player software, etc. several times already and guess what? It didn't make a difference the first five times so I don't see why it'll work the sixth. I also took a day off from work so a technician could replace the hard drive at my house, and it still didn't change anything.

The final straw was when the new support person insisted that all that was needed was to buy a HDMI cable from them, and everything would be solved. I asked if he was sure, he said he was. I then found a HDMI cable that I had, used it, and got the same error. At this point I gave up and asked for a refund. Also added some choice words along the lines of if you're selling a PC with a particular configuration, the least you could do is make sure it works out of the box.

With the amount of time I put into obtaining support from Dell, I could've just built the HTPC myself.

-KotOR