Thread: Obituary :Former TVB actor Wang Wei ( 王偉) passed away at 70 Years Old

Default Obituary :Former TVB actor Wang Wei ( 王偉) passed away at 70 Years Old

Obituary: Actor Wang Wei Died at 70-Years-Old

Hong Kong actor, Wang Wei ( 王偉) (1941 -2011) passed away at 70-years-old. His real name was Wang Wing Wei (王永偉). Through his father’s friend’s introduction, Mr. Wang started shooting popular Mandarin movies in 1963. In 1971, Mr. Wang joined the television industry, starring in many popular series, both at ATV and TVB, in which his performances were well-received.

Several of Mr. Wang’s performances at ATV were regarded as masterpieces, including his role as Nurhaci (founder of the Qing Dynasty) in the classic The Rise and Fall of the Qing Dynasty <滿清十三皇朝>. His notable roles also included “Lu Pu Wei” in Qin Shi Huang <秦始皇> and “Hung Ding Kwok” in Fok Tung Kok <霍東閣>. After his ATV contract expired in 1989, Mr. Wang joined TVB and acted in countless series, such as Vengenance <火玫瑰> and State of Divinity <笑傲江湖>. Mr. Wang retired from acting in 2002.

Mr. Wang married fashion supermodel, Ho Mung Na <何夢娜> in 1971. In 1990, Mr. Wang emigrated to Toronto, Canada. Mr. Wang is survived by two sons and one daughter. His eldest son is Wong Chung Yik (王從奕)and his second daughter, Stephanie Wong (王從希), participated in the 2003 Miss Hong Kong pageant.

Stephanie noted, “Recently, I have been busy to taking care of my father’s funeral. During his lifetime, my father has always been low-key and did not wish for a lavish funeral. Dad has been put to rest. I most respected father: I will always be proud of you and you will always be in my heart.”

Link
    http://www.popularasians.com/content.php/1664

RIP

Oh no! So sad! Awww.
    I like me.

So that's his name.....he was in so many series. Great actor! Gonna really miss him...

Been re-watching some of his older TVB series. Talented actor. Will miss him.

Rest in peace.
    Wang Wei was a great actor especially in villain roles.

Unhappy

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/61e7f4aatw1dntbxpl0dcj.jpg')

NO!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! *looks up to sky* Why?! Why?! Why? He wasn't even 77 or 80something years old. He died too soon!!!!

I'm going to miss him and his acting. He's one of my fave veteran actors. Aww
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Oddly, though he is a veteran actor and has been with TVB for a number of years, I almost entirely missed his career. My span of TVB series runs between 1974-1988. I think Mr. Wang was a member of the TVB cast for at least a few of those years, but I missed almost *every* series he might have been in during those years. I think he was much more active at TVB during the 1990s and 2000s, but I don't watch those series.

I recognize the face, but I haven't seen any of the man's performances...at least not in their entirety.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I was watching him in "Crimson Sabre" last night and now he has passed away! I think I have watched him on TV from as far back as I can remember. Probabaly had a previous crush on hiim when i was 7. I loved his versatile screen presence whether he is playing a good guy or a despicable villian. Actors from today just don't get trained as they just to in the old days.

I nearly lost it when Yu Yeung took over as the resident TVB actor to play emperor when Wong Wai left TVB. Wong Wai has a certain dominating noble demeanor about him. I am going to rewatch "Fatherland" and "The Rise Of The Great Wall" to think of him.

RIP Wong Wai!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Thanks for posting his pictures, SS. RIP.

Wong Wai had a regal air around him which made him perfect to play emperors and royalty. Much of my sympathy for Chongzhen in Crimson Sabre came from the way Wong Wai carried the character, and the inner conflicts shown on his face as he strove to do the right thing all through the series, but was sadly let down by evil advice from his trusted advisors. My first memory of him was an old ATV serial, "Kei Lui Zi" or "Strange Girl" starring Bonnie Ngai and Yung Wai Man as a pair of sisters. Wong Wai was this bad rich guy (a role he excelled at and was to repeat forever) named Gan Yui Ming, and he had such an impact that until today my dad has no idea what Wong Wai's real name is, and refers to him as Gan Yui Ming. Wong Wai's screen charisma is good enough that even loyal LOCH 82 fans have conceded that his Wanyan Honglie was one of the improvements in LOCH 94, and as LOCH 82's WYHL was played by the excellent and versatile Lau Kong (who played Temujin in 94), that's saying a lot. I'll never forget that deep commanding bass voice, those charming double eyelids and gripping eyes which could stare thoughtfully, twinkle cheekily, glare menacingly and ignore condescendingly almost all at once. Hong Kong TV has lost another of its great pillars - rest in peace, Gan Yui Ming.

That sucks. He was one of my faves. He could go from portraying one of the most dignified Duan Zhixing's to one of the most vile Yue Buqun's. RIP, Mr. Wang. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Oddly, though he is a veteran actor and has been with TVB for a number of years, I almost entirely missed his career. My span of TVB series runs between 1974-1988. I think Mr. Wang was a member of the TVB cast for at least a few of those years, but I missed almost *every* series he might have been in during those years. I think he was much more active at TVB during the 1990s and 2000s, but I don't watch those series.

I recognize the face, but I haven't seen any of the man's performances...at least not in their entirety.
    Well, according to the article, his ATV contract expired in 1989. If memory serves ATV series didn't really make it to the States until the 90's (or they jsut weren't that popular). Regardless, if you only watched TVB, you would have missed him completely; he was ATV exclusive until 1989. You missed out (and are still missing out) on a wonderful actor.

Just watched him on TV in the old movie, Project A, with Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung. So sad to read about his departure.... gonna miss this great actor.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

RIP, Mr Wang. You were a fine actor and will be sorely missed.

Ahhh, another good one bites the dust.
    玉木宏

blog

I read on the internet that passed away from stomach cancer. That's very painful!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Wang Wei was an excellent actor. He will be missed. RIP Wang Wei.

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I read on the internet that passed away from stomach cancer. That's very painful!
    Ouch. That reminds me, when I went for an exhibition in Hong Kong 3-4 years ago. I saw a man in a shopping centre who looked very very much like him, but older and more gaunt, and with a huge bloated stomach. If he had stomach cancer, then in retrospect that was probably him I saw. While I wish I asked for his autograph now, I consider myself fortunate to have seen him in the flesh, I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Well, according to the article, his ATV contract expired in 1989. If memory serves ATV series didn't really make it to the States until the 90's (or they jsut weren't that popular). Regardless, if you only watched TVB, you would have missed him completely; he was ATV exclusive until 1989. You missed out (and are still missing out) on a wonderful actor.
    I noted on his obituary articles that he acted in TVB's Book and Sword in 1976 - as "Han Wencong". I can't quite place who that character is for the moment, but my guess is he was one of Qianlong's many henchmen. That would explain why Ken seemed to remember him despite him not really being in most of the serials which Ken watched. Maybe that was before Wong Wai's ATV days.

Wow. This is so sad. Another great actor gone. RIP.

He was YBQ in XAJH 1996 by TVB. No wonder haven't seen him lately in TVB series ... he must have been sick for quite sometime.