Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Beauties Without Tears 《美人无泪》

Did Hailianzhu ever loved Huang Tai Ji?

Hawick u r soooooooooooooooo cute~~~~~love from Italia~
    Huang Taichi makes me think of Sealed With a Wiss

It's alright... definitely head and shoulders above 王的女人 but that was just a huge joke to start with. YSS plays Dayu'er with the same sort of acting she did all of her other characters. I honestly can't tell any of them apart. The acting is a bit stiff all around except for Han Dong, who's sort of rocking Dorgon. I wish there was more time spent on Zhang Meng's Hailanzhu, but she doesn't quite have enough of the screen gravitas to pull off all of Hailanzhu's distortion.

It's basically a Candy-redux in ancient garb. Dayu'er plays the kind and legitimate daughter to the leader of the Korchin Mongols and falls in love with Huang Taiji after he rescues her. Dorgon meets her on the same day at a huge festival and falls in love with her. And Huang Taiji somehow seems to strangely fall in love with Hailanzhu. How and why he fell in love with her is never really fleshed out or explained, he just sort of...did. Huang Taiji is the typical cold exterior, warm interior ruler, Dorgon the playful and sincere younger brother, and Hailanzhu as the misused and abused Cinderella type who decides to take revenge. The plot is very trademark Yu Zheng so far, but not quite as complex as Schemes of a Beauty. The set is quite beautiful and the costs are bright but nice to look at. The only thing I didn't really like was how the drama dealt with the succession rivalry between Dorgon and Huang Taiji. I'm going to post about it since it's obvious who became the king, but apparently it was Dayu'er who was with Nurhaci when he died and he told her two names, Huang Taiji and Dorgon. She decides to tell the brothers that Nurhaci wanted Huang Taiji to be king, and the oldest brother Dai Shan made her swear to her word, and if what she was telling was a lie, then her husband would never love her, and her children would never respect her....which basically sets up the entire drama based on a curse. I felt sort of ehhh about that.

I wish someone would do a Hailanzhu and Huang Taiji centric drama, like a drama remake of 独步天下! Huang Taiji did love Hailanzhu in real life immensely, although which wife he loved more, nobody would really know.

Just started watching..so far, very nice drama! Hawick looks as good even with period drama hairstyle!

Quote Originally Posted by atsu-chan View Post
    It's alright... definitely head and shoulders above 王的女人 but that was just a huge joke to start with. YSS plays Dayu'er with the same sort of acting she did all of her other characters. I honestly can't tell any of them apart. The acting is a bit stiff all around except for Han Dong, who's sort of rocking Dorgon. I wish there was more time spent on Zhang Meng's Hailanzhu, but she doesn't quite have enough of the screen gravitas to pull off all of Hailanzhu's distortion.

It's basically a Candy-redux in ancient garb. Dayu'er plays the kind and legitimate daughter to the leader of the Korchin Mongols and falls in love with Huang Taiji after he rescues her. Dorgon meets her on the same day at a huge festival and falls in love with her. And Huang Taiji somehow seems to strangely fall in love with Hailanzhu. How and why he fell in love with her is never really fleshed out or explained, he just sort of...did. Huang Taiji is the typical cold exterior, warm interior ruler, Dorgon the playful and sincere younger brother, and Hailanzhu as the misused and abused Cinderella type who decides to take revenge. The plot is very trademark Yu Zheng so far, but not quite as complex as Schemes of a Beauty. The set is quite beautiful and the costs are bright but nice to look at. The only thing I didn't really like was how the drama dealt with the succession rivalry between Dorgon and Huang Taiji. I'm going to post about it since it's obvious who became the king, but apparently it was Dayu'er who was with Nurhaci when he died and he told her two names, Huang Taiji and Dorgon. She decides to tell the brothers that Nurhaci wanted Huang Taiji to be king, and the oldest brother Dai Shan made her swear to her word, and if what she was telling was a lie, then her husband would never love her, and her children would never respect her....which basically sets up the entire drama based on a curse. I felt sort of ehhh about that.

I wish someone would do a Hailanzhu and Huang Taiji centric drama, like a drama remake of 独步天下! Huang Taiji did love Hailanzhu in real life immensely, although which wife he loved more, nobody would really know.
    I'm up to episode 9 now and this drama is so much better and more intriguing than Beauties of the Emperor, which I gave up after the first episode and skipped right to the ending to see if they would show the demise of Concubine Qi.

I like how this drama actually has an overall plot (establishment of the Qing and the women involved, and there was less butchering of history compared to BOTE. Also, the cast is much better, and Yuan Shan Shan didn't piss me off as much, mostly because the plot hasn't focused mostly on her. I really enjoy the Hailanzhu parts, especially with Huangtaiji, though I wish he was less stiff. Yeah, there wasn't much of a build-up to his love for her, but I don't think he's completely in love with her at this point yet. I think he was attracted to her because of her devotion to her fiancee and her caring nature.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/79bd8fbajw1e01ekqtwbdj.jpg')

I feel like I'm the only one with mixed feelings about this series. Maybe because I have seen Xiao Zhuang Epic that I felt this series is a disappointment. I always felt that Da Yu'er loved Dorgon and now the role is reversed... I felt heartbroken... =(

Am on episode 2 now, it's pretty good so far though the story is just getting started. Surprisingly I actually prefer Hailanzhu to Yu'er. Zhang Meng is beautiful and sweet as Hailanzhu...unlike the HLZ from Xiao Zhuang Mi Shi who was old, ugly and whiny. Couldn't understand why Huang Taiji fell for her over Ning Jing's beautiful and gracious Dayu'er.

YSS as Yu'er is okay but she's getting on my nerves a bit, I find that she's overacting. I also don't like Yu'er's spoilt and entitled personality. Hopefully she mellows as the drama progresses though I was a bit disheartened by the opening scene (from the future) showing how Yu'er and Dorgon are tied together only by obligation and not by love.

Han Dong as Dorgon - ugh! Can't stand him. Bad casting choice. Keep remembering him as the evil 9th Prince from BBJX. If they had picked a more likeable male actor, it would have improved the story. Then we would have someone else to root for since Hawick is destined to be the love-blinded despot and abandon Yu'er for HLZ. As it is...I am looking forward to seeing Hawick falling in love with HLZ and getting her out of the clutches of the evil stepmom. And unfortunately, not interested in Yu'er's story at all since YSS is not charismatic and has no proper male lead to pair with her.

[QUOTE
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/6d78cc31jw1dld5063zcvj.jpg')[/QUOTE]

Anybody know what those movie posters on the bus mean?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/637686a1jw1e070unguxmj.jpg')

Just finished episode 30..*sob* really sad for my favorite couple, Hong Tai Ji and Hai Lan Zhu..

So depress when both of them split blood and die..

Was thinking of dropping the drama but think will still continue watching, want to know the ending..

I am the odd one out! I am up to ep 33, really hate Huang Tai Ji and Hai Lan Zhu. Both are very stubborn and loyal to their love, but they are selfish and destructive to everyone else around them. I dislike them because of their tunnel vision and are oblivious to everyone else around them. Especially hate the characterisation of Huang Tai Ji in here.

I still prefer Dorgon and Yu Er as a couple, even though they are more like good friends and not lovers.

The drama is seriously going downhill after ep 30. The young actors are not interesting and the plot is dead. I only have intereset on what happens to the new Empress (the grown up cute girl from MRXJ), and whether Yu Er makes it to Dorgon before he dies cos Shun Zhi looks like he goes nuts and isolates the dying Dorgon (I hate Huang Tai Ji for poisoning the kid). Don't give a damn about Shun Zhi or Wan Ning.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I am the odd one out! I am up to ep 33, really hate Huang Tai Ji and Hai Lan Zhu. Both are very stubborn and loyal to their love, but they are selfish and destructive to everyone else around them. I dislike them because of their tunnel vision and are oblivious to everyone else around them. Especially hate the characterisation of Huang Tai Ji in here.
    I'm with you. I was pretty annoyed with the Huang Tai Ji and Hai Lan Zhu storyline and just started skipping through their scenes at the end. Huang Tai Ji's characterization is actually quite interesting, though unfortunately, Hawick's acting was a bit flat for 90% of the time. Still, I never felt invested in them as a couple and in the end, they just started to annoy me.
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

Well for me..I prefer Huang Tai JI and Yu Er..hehehe.. a lot of adaptation have potrayed Dorgon and Yu Er..and every body knows that Huang TAiji sooo in love with Hai LAnzhu.. Ia m glad that in this drama, Huang Taiji still have some love for Yu Er..he still upset when he knows the relationship of Dorgin and Yu Er..but I just want more
    I like all of the character..even Huang Tai ji..i understand that he is very selfish...but I just hope he will treat Yu Er more nicely..but..he didn't..sigh..he used Yu Er for his own needs (although i like the script for his tears when Yu er go for political mission..sigh..I want more of their screen time).. actually I want in his last moment he said apologize to Yu Er and show little affection for her...sigh...
    My overall comment for this drama, is good...I even watch it without subs because the story is good..the scriptwiter has to fulfill a lot of people want so she couldn't focus on one pair only..still have some shortage but its okay...love Ady and Han Dong..their acting is amazing...become Hawick and Yuan Shan Shan fans..hope they can be pair in next drama

I do agree that Huang Tai Ji should treat Da Yu'er better because she really sacrifices a lot for him and she is a very kind girl.

But I still think they should develop the story of Huang Tai Ji and Hai Lan Zhu, there are a lot of potential in it! Anyway since this drama has ended, look forward to Female Prime Minister next..

Let's put it this way, the love between Huang Tai Ji and Hai Lan Zhu could have been better expressed, but instead, they just chose to drag it out without expanding on the development. Why does HTJ like HLZ so much? It's great to see complete trust in a relationship but to the point where he would hurt/kill other people just because of her? I think the writers should have placed more emphasis on HTJ as a ruler, not just a lover. His ambition and love for his country went totally out the door since he married HLZ; he makes stupid political decisions and can't even win a battle right and relies 100% on Dorgon.

HTJ is such a jerk! I understand that he married his wives for political motives, but he treats them like crap. Zhe Zhe did everything for him, even stuff that he did not want to openly do, she did it out of love for him, and stayed loyal to him all those years. Yet, he used her guilt in being unable to produce a male heir to trap her into giving up her rightful place as Empress of Qing so he can make HLZ happy. Na Mu Zhong I can ignore since she does not love him. He is such a pig to Yu Er at times. He did initially feel guilty towards her when she walked in on HLZ and him in bed, but then his neglect get worse and worse and worse. He let her nearly die a few times, nearly got raped and he killed her kid as well. And then he taught her son to hate her?

I don't know if that was the intention of the writer, but the time it came to ep 30 when everyone died, I felt relieved instead of sad. I can justify his initial blindly rage in wanting to kill everyone but after finding out the truth, why was he still so vengeful against Yu Er after three years in isolation (he also just dumped his job as a ruler as well for 3 years in the middle of a great war with the Ming)? I have to say, any hints of jealously he supposedly had was more of envy towards Dorgon for his military capabilities and growing political influence rather than out of affection for Yu Er.

HTJ's character makes no sense to me. If they just fleshed him out like what they did to Mo Shao Qian on his likes, dislikes, hidden pain, weakness, etc... it would have been a great character. By ep 30, HTJ was such a one-dimensional character. It really disappointed me because the role has so much potential. For a first male lead character, the characterization was not as well done as for 2nd lead, Dorgon.

Otherwise, I quite like the relationship between Dorgon and Yu Er, though it was frustrating but ep 35 is a must watch. Very touching dialogue. And YSS's acting improves a lot when she starts to smarten up. Her crying is better and her expression are more controlled and less exagerrated then in the early eps. She does not look the part of a mum though but YSS is certainly improving as an actress. Can't wait for The Swordsman! ( Wallace!!!!)

I don't think "In Love with Power/Beauties Without Tears" is terrible. It is watchable but far from great. There is chemistry between the leads and Han Dong is lovely to watch. If you can put up with the historical inaccuracies, the frustrating plot and the stupid ending, then go for it. Just don't go comparing it to "Schemes of a Beauty", "Zhen Huan Zhuan" and "Xiao Zhuang Mi Shi" and you'll be fine.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I think it's safe to say that anyone who is a fan of the Hong Taiji and Hailanzhu (Harjol) love story should stay away from this drama. Didn't think it was possible to screw up such a beautiful love story until I watched this. Never getting those hours of my life back.

why does hong taiji marry dayu'er?

Quote Originally Posted by bachtuyet View Post
    why does hong taiji marry dayu'er?
    For politics because Manchuria needs the support of Mongolians to stabilise their power against other tribes so they can concentrate on the battle with the Ming Empire. Zhe Zhe was originally the political tool but as she is unable to produce a male heir, they needed another Mongolian bride to strengthen their ties. Also, Yu Er was known to be a "lucky" person that would become mother to a future Emperor and that if he married her, she would aid him supertitiously to become Emperor of China.
    Cyril Connolly

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/4eafaa70jw1e0oc7uuz3vj.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/4eac422ejw1e0ocnqqtvmj.jpg')