Thread: Fire based skill

Default Fire based skill

Most of us know Wei Yixiao and Zuo LengChan practise icy palms. Cheng kun has his icy 'Hua Yin Zhi'.

Even Tianshan Tonglao's life and death tailsman techinque is indirectly ice attack linked.

I was looking around for fire based skill. It seems more rare. I only saw Shaolin's 'Ran Mu Dao Fa' used by both Xuanku and Jiumozhi was the ONLY fire based skill i know.

Is there anymore fire based skill?
    Im curious.

Quote Originally Posted by duguq_bai View Post
    Most of us know Wei Yixiao and Zuo LengChan practise icy palms. Cheng kun has his icy 'Hua Yin Zhi'.

Even Tianshan Tonglao's life and death tailsman techinque is indirectly ice attack linked.
    Even though the life-death talisman is physically in ice form, it can carry a mixture of both positive and negative energy, so it isn't exactly a "cold-based" attack.

I was looking around for fire based skill. It seems more rare. I only saw Shaolin's 'Ran Mu Dao Fa' used by both Xuanku and Jiumozhi was the ONLY fire based skill i know.
    If I remember correctly, what's special about this Wood-burning Sabre technique is that it can speed up the air particles around a piece of wood so much that the frictions they cause burn the wood w/o your sabre making any contact w/ that piece of wood. Other than this, I don't think there's any heat energy transfer involved there.

Is there anymore fire based skill?
    Im curious.
    The reason why heat-based skills don't get as much attention as cold-based skills is because they're actually quite common, so they aren't worth having a special name just to tell you they're heat-based. I'm pretty sure most fighters with decent amount of inner power could use their internal energy to heat up an item. Gao Shengtai from DGSD did it, Shi Qing from OttG has also done it. Just two examples I immediately think off, and neither of these characters is considered strong in their respective novel. (Shi's quite average, and Gao's below average.)

If you want an example from a well-known character, the easiest example I can think of is Zhang Wuji with his 9 Yang. It's so strong that he even "broke" Cheng's Hua Yin Zhi, and every time he clashed palms with the Xuan Ming Elders he significantly weakened their cold attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    If I remember correctly, what's special about this Wood-burning Sabre technique is that it can speed up the air particles around a piece of wood so much that the frictions they cause burn the wood w/o your sabre making any contact w/ that piece of wood. Other than this, I don't think there's any heat energy transfer involved there.
    Whoa...modern understanding of physics in a wuxia story. I'm impressed.

I think basically, highly yin energy produces freezing cold, while highly yang energy produces extreme heat.

Although actually producing fire is rare, as Kenny said there is no shortage of heat-based feats. Another example is the priest from OTG who melted bronze (which was also done by Cheng Qingzhu from BXJ).
    Last edited by PJ; 11-24-11 at 12:58 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I think basically, highly yin energy produces freezing cold, while highly yang energy produces extreme heat.
    As heat is often a natural by-product of energy transfer, (and energy transfer is what happens when 2 fighters fight w/ inner energy,) you shouldn't need Yang type inner power (i.e. "neutral" inner power would do) to be able to heat up an object as long as your inner power is strong enough. This is why I said in my last post that to generate heat is a lot more common than to generate cold.

Jiu Mozhi's Huoyandao was fire-based, or at least it had fire in the name. Jiu Yang also, through the TV adaptations, gives me the impression that it is heavily yang-based and pretty fiery. TVB's XAJH 85 also had Shaolin Yijinjing as fire-based.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post

Although actually producing fire is rare, as Kenny said there is no shortage of heat-based feats. Another example is the priest from OTG who melted bronze (which was also done by Cheng Qingzhu from BXJ).
    Oh yeah! I miss out that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Jiu Mozhi's Huoyandao was fire-based, or at least it had fire in the name.
    Although Huo Yan Dao has "fire" in its name, I don't think it actually had any property of fire. It was a pretty straight forward palm attack.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

What about 走火入魔?