Thread: JY handicapped martial artist ranking

Default JY handicapped martial artist ranking

I see in jinyong universe had several handicap Martial artists either lost an arm, cripples, blind, turn insane and etc. Some are average, some are powerful. I just list some down but havent them yet by power.

Note: Though Hong Qigong lost one finger but i dont see him as handicap. The handicap factor should cause much inconvienence, discrimination or major discomfort in that character's life.

Not in ranking.
    (maybe someone can add more and thenrank them from powerful to weakest)

Wuyazi - crippled
    Duan Yanqing - crippled
    Murong Fu - insane (in the end)
    Ouyang Feng - insane (ROCH version)
    Mei Chaofeng - blind
    Ke ZhenE - blind
    Qu Lingfeng - crippled
    Feng Mofeng - half crippled
    Lu Chengfeng - crippled
    Xie Xun - blind
    Hai Dafu - blind
    Dongfangbubai - castrated
    Yue Buqun - castrated
    Lin PingZhi - castrated
    Lin Yuantu - castrated
    Mu Gaofeng - hunchback
    Zuo Lengcan - blind
    Yang Guo - lost one arm
    Qiu QianChi - crippled
    Gongsun Zhi - lost one eye
    Shi Wanchen - partial blindness
    Jiunan - lost one arm
    One of the 3 elder monk in HSDS - lost one eye

Quote Originally Posted by duguq_bai View Post
    Dongfangbubai - castrated
    Yue Buqun - castrated
    Lin PingZhi - castrated
    Lin Yuantu - castrated
    These guys had their power increased several fold by the loss of a body part. It's more of a boost than a handicap!
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

dugaq_bai wrote:
    The handicap factor should cause much inconvienence, discrimination or major discomfort in that character's life.
    It actually did, though the degree of physical inconvenience is played down. The wuxia universe is somewhat like a fantasy universe. Just treat your wuxia characters the same way you would treat your comics' superheroes.

Qu Lingfeng (crippled) was eventually killed by imperial guards.

Mei Chaofeng, after being blinded, had great difficulty in beating Guo Jing who just newly learnt the 15/18 Dragon Palms.

Duan Yanqing, even though his powers were played up, admitted that he would lose to Emperor Baoding in a fight because of his physical disability.

I was disturbed about the rapid recovery that wuxia characters can make, after serious injury. Yang Guo lost an arm, but yet was healthy enough to run out of the city and meet up with the giant condor. Within a month or two, he not only fully recovered, but also powered up tremendously. I thought people take a very much longer time to recover.

In Conn Igguldon's "Julius Caesar" trilogy, there was a talented swordsman named Brutus who was nearly as good as the battalion's champion. In a battle, his arm was broken. Recovery was not as swift as in the Jin Yong universe, even though the one-to-one fight scenes mirrored a wuxia fight mixed with reality. The wounded swordsman took a long time to recover, and also need to undergo therapy and muscle training in order to train his sword arm back to normal.

But then again, the wuxia world is a fictitious one.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    These guys had their power increased several fold by the loss of a body part. It's more of a boost than a handicap!
    I would say it's still a handicap. They no longer have what a man has. Among them, Lin PingZhi is the most stupidest one and short sighted. If he is smart and wise, he would have wait. He should know that Yue Buqun would eventually teach him all the martial arts that he needed for revenge after he married Yue Lingshan. After all, Yue Buqun is old and has only one daughter so it's logically that he would become the next leader of Huashan. Too bad, Lin PingZhi is too stupid to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I would say it's still a handicap. They no longer have what a man has.
    You nailed it Trien Chieu! Thanks.

But i thought this is a posting of RANKING of most powerful to the weakest handicapped martial artist in JY universe from the List below (Maybe more people?)

Wuyazi seems the strongest handicapped martial artist, next is Duan Yanqing.
    I'm not sure how powerful an insane Murong Fu will be?

My personAL ranking. (i maybe wrong. someone can repost the ranking)

1ST: Wuyazi - Crippled
    2ND: Duan Yanqing - Crippled
    3RD: Murong Fu?? Yang Guo??
    4TH: Ouyang Feng?? Dongfang Bubai??

Is Ding Dian and Di Yun in the deadly stroll counted as handicapped too?

But i thought this is a posting of RANKING of most powerful to the weakest handicapped martial artist in JY universe from the List below (Maybe more people?)

Ding Dian and Di Yun shouldn't be counted as handicapped. Sure, they had broken clavicles, but those healed over time while they trained their Shenzhaojing, I think, and by the time they broke out of jail their injuries were pretty much completely healed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Ding Dian and Di Yun shouldn't be counted as handicapped. Sure, they had broken clavicles, but those healed over time while they trained their Shenzhaojing, I think, and by the time they broke out of jail their injuries were pretty much completely healed.
    *cough* Di Yun lost all of the fingers on his right (sword) hand (I think). How does that not count as a handicap...?
    欲取鸣琴弹,恨无知音赏。~孟浩然

I think Wuyazi's injuries are more serious. Although his inner power was likely leagues ahead of DYQ, I doubt he could fight or move about like DYQ.

e.g. WYZ could not go out and kill DCQ himself. Arguably, DYQ should be around DCQ level. i.e. MRF could last quite long against DCQ but DYQ could crush MRF easily.

IMHO, Murong Fu should not be anywhere on that list.

1st should be Tianshan Tonglao (Most people forget that when she fought LQS and sneaked around the Xixia Palace kidnapping the princess, she had one leg chopped off. Arguably a more serious injury than YG's missing arm.)

2nd should be DFBB and YG.
    Last edited by CC; 12-30-11 at 03:15 PM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    1st should be Tianshan Tonglao (Most people forget that when she fought LQS and sneaked around the Xixia Palace kidnapping the princess, she had one leg chopped off. Arguably a more serious injury than YG's missing arm.)

2nd should be DFBB and YG.
    Tianshan TongLao is handicapped??? She got one leg chopped off?

Tianshan TongLao is handicapped??? She got one leg chopped off?
    I recall seeing that in the manga, but not sure if that was officially in the novel or not. It wasn't chopped off too, it was ripped off by hand!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I recall seeing that in the manga, but not sure if that was officially in the novel or not. It wasn't chopped off too, it was ripped off by hand!!
    so sorry for the super super late reply.
    I saw several drama version. Her finger was cut off by Li QiuShui when she wanna steal that Sect leader Jade Ring from her.

so sorry for the super super late reply.
    I saw several drama version. Her finger was cut off by Li QiuShui when she wanna steal that Sect leader Jade Ring from her.
    She definitely lost her leg in the novel when she and XZ ran into LQS for the 1st encounter.

Basically JY must have ignored any inconvenience it caused to her kung-fu cos he had her happily sneaking round the Xixia palace kidnapping the princess after that while still recovering from her inner energy loss.....

If we're going to count DFBB, does Hong Qigong's missing finger count?

Afterall, DFBB gained the ability to use Sunflower Manual, but I can't think of any martial art that requires that part to practice it so he didn't lose anything in terms of martial arts....while Hong Qigong might now have trouble practicing Yiyang Finger or something!

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    If we're going to count DFBB, does Hong Qigong's missing finger count?

Afterall, DFBB gained the ability to use Sunflower Manual, but I can't think of any martial art that requires that part to practice it so he didn't lose anything in terms of martial arts....while Hong Qigong might now have trouble practicing Yiyang Finger or something!
    Claw techniques would not work well for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Claw techniques would not work well for him.
    I can imagine the Jiangnan Seven Freaks pick up a skull from the pile, look at the four finger holes bored into them, and then collectively heave a sigh of relief...

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    She definitely lost her leg in the novel when she and XZ ran into LQS for the 1st encounter.
    Thanks for pointing out this. Cannot remember this in all the adaptations I watch.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Thanks for pointing out this. Cannot remember this in all the adaptations I watch.
    Its definitely there in the adaptations (not TVB 83 though). I think it was the 97 where they even had Boss Wu when the gang and MRF attacked into Vulture Peak and they had Boss Wu show her leg (just a wood stick with cloth on it, not that graphic) to the maids to prove that TSTL is dead.

I think this particular disability of hers is just ignored by JY for plot purposes. I mean, she was missing a leg and the narrative has her more worried about getting every last year of inner energy back as more important. Her missing leg was never mentioned by her as a handicap or mentioned in the fight narrative with LQS as a penalty. I don't think she even made a single mention about it in all her conversations with XZ. It was all about how she needed his protection while she gained her inner energy back.

I wonder is there any handicapped martials arts experts in Yue Nu Jian and Xia Ke Xing?

I watch the only drama version of Yue Nu Jian acted by Moon Lee in the 80s under ATV. The role of her father was a handicapped. But he's just a blacksmith with no martial arts trained.

Not sure about Xia KeXing.

I wonder is there any handicapped martials arts experts in Yue Nu Jian and Xia Ke Xing?

I watch the only drama version of Yue Nu Jian acted by Moon Lee in the 80s under ATV. The role of her father was a handicapped. But he's just a blacksmith with no martial arts trained.

Not sure about Xia KeXing.
    Ode To Gallantry: Feng Wanli , his hand was chopped by his teacher Bai Zizai

Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    Ode To Gallantry: Feng Wanli , his hand was chopped by his teacher Bai Zizai
    oh ya..forgot about him.