Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

Thread: LOCH '82 cast reunion special 2011 (SINA TV).

  1. #21
    Senior Member Ian Liew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QF View Post
    Not a mandarin speaker I assume?

    I think you missed the point on the video clips of Barbara. The whole clips of barbara was not a tribute at all, it was to introduce the person that voiced Barbara in the mainland edition, hence the reason why the little woman came out.

    Like Zhu Dan said, when mainland people hear her voice, it was the voice of Rong Er.

    QF
    I'm referring to the very start of the second clip - unless my Mandarin is way way worse than I think it is, it was a tribute. I couldn't make out that much because the Mandarin was too fast, but they certainly talked about Barbara's history, her role, how she died in 1985, how our memories of her are frozen in time back in 1985, and how it was now her 26th anniversary of her death and so on, and they didn't introduce any voice actor after that, it was straight to interviewing Wong Wan Choy about his on-the-set experiences. I didn't watch any further than that because it takes far too much effort for me to watch Mandarin without English or Chinese subtitles.

    Like you said, however, to the China audience Barbara's voice was not important, and to them "Huang Rong" was that voice actress, and so I guess it's just that we're not really the target audience for this show.

  2. #22
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I'm referring to the very start of the second clip - unless my Mandarin is way way worse than I think it is, it was a tribute. I couldn't make out that much because the Mandarin was too fast, but they certainly talked about Barbara's history, her role, how she died in 1985, how our memories of her are frozen in time back in 1985, and how it was now her 26th anniversary of her death and so on, and they didn't introduce any voice actor after that, it was straight to interviewing Wong Wan Choy about his on-the-set experiences. I didn't watch any further than that because it takes far too much effort for me to watch Mandarin without English or Chinese subtitles.

    Like you said, however, to the China audience Barbara's voice was not important, and to them "Huang Rong" was that voice actress, and so I guess it's just that we're not really the target audience for this show.
    Felix pointed out that Barbara had a deeper voice than the voiceover actress. In fact, although Barbara's voice wasn't extraordinarily deep for a young woman, I believe it was deeper than that of any other actress who portrayed the young Wong Yung in an LOCH adaptation.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Ian Liew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Felix pointed out that Barbara had a deeper voice than the voiceover actress. In fact, although Barbara's voice wasn't extraordinarily deep for a young woman, I believe it was deeper than that of any other actress who portrayed the young Wong Yung in an LOCH adaptation.
    Zhou Xun's voice was really deep and husky. It was so deep that it took me a while to get used to it, but after a while I liked it.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    523

    Default

    I'm referring to the very start of the second clip - unless my Mandarin is way way worse than I think it is, it was a tribute. I couldn't make out that much because the Mandarin was too fast, but they certainly talked about Barbara's history, her role, how she died in 1985, how our memories of her are frozen in time back in 1985, and how it was now her 26th anniversary of her death and so on, and they didn't introduce any voice actor after that, it was straight to interviewing Wong Wan Choy about his on-the-set experiences. I didn't watch any further than that because it takes far too much effort for me to watch Mandarin without English or Chinese subtitles.
    Oh ok...if you watched pass that part the voice dubbing for barbara comes out.


    Felix pointed out that Barbara had a deeper voice than the voiceover actress. In fact, although Barbara's voice wasn't extraordinarily deep for a young woman, I believe it was deeper than that of any other actress who portrayed the young Wong Yung in an LOCH adaptation.
    Not bad, Ken. I didn't know you understood that much mandarin.

    QF
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味

  5. #25
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QF View Post

    Not bad, Ken. I didn't know you understood that much mandarin.

    QF
    I actually don't. I struggle through it, but in the end, figure out enough of it to understand the gist of it.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,729

    Default

    Ken -

    Thank you, thank you for posting this wonderful video! I got so excited watching all the old cast members make appearances! It brings back good memories. I have always thought Wallace Chung's Mandarin was bad, but after listening to some of the old cast members struggle with their Mandarin, I now think Wallace Chung's Mandarin is quite good. Too bad TVB didn't host a similar reunion show in Cantonese. It would have been so much more enjoyable if the cast could freely express their thoughts without any language barriers.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,937

    Default

    Thanks, Ken.

  8. #28
    Senior Member tweety365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,478

    Default

    It would be a dream come true if more Mainland programs have English subtitles .

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    523

    Default

    tweety365
    It would be a dream come true if more Mainland programs have English subtitles .
    Would be better if more mainland programs spoke english instead?
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味

  10. #30
    Senior Member Ian Liew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QF View Post
    Would be better if more mainland programs spoke english instead?
    Correct English subtitles would be much better than broken or out of place spoken English. It's like how the Japanese anime are much better in Japanese with English subs, than dubbed in English. I personally don't even mind Chinese subtitles, but having no subtitles at all makes it hard to catch.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    523

    Default

    Correct English subtitles would be much better than broken or out of place spoken English. It's like how the Japanese anime are much better in Japanese with English subs, than dubbed in English. I personally don't even mind Chinese subtitles, but having no subtitles at all makes it hard to catch.
    Agreed.

    I was just playing around with tweety anyways....
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味

  12. #32
    Senior Member tweety365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QF View Post
    Agreed.

    I was just playing around with tweety anyways....
    I am perfectly ok with hot guys speaking in broken English.
    In the case of the LOCH '82 cast, they are old, but they used to be hot, so that is ok too .
    Last edited by tweety365; 12-24-11 at 10:40 PM.

  13. #33
    Senior Member Ian Liew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    I am perfectly ok with hot guys speaking in broken English.
    In the case of the LOCH '82 cast, they are old, but they used to be hot, so that is ok too .
    I'm reliably informed by many girls, some still in school, that Michael Miu is still extremely hot. If anything, he's even hotter than he was during his Yang Kang days!

  14. #34
    Senior Member tweety365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I'm reliably informed by many girls, some still in school, that Michael Miu is still extremely hot. If anything, he's even hotter than he was during his Yang Kang days!
    I should rephrase my previous statement .

    Michael is indeed still very attractive for his age. Heck, he looks a whole lot better than many half his age. I have always I admired and respected him for his acting talents, professionalism, and personal conducts. I love the fact that he is still happily married with Jamie and there are no rumors of any infidelity (at least I haven't heard any). Plus, he is still so chummy with other actors I grew up watching. The fact that he still maintains those friendships is a very endearing quality. So add up all those qualities, I do find him hot. It's a different sense of hotness that is not based purely on looks alone.

    But overall, I personally don't fangirl about Michael like other younger hunks like say Wallace Huo, Wallace Chung, Yan Kuan, Kevin Cheng, etc.

    I'm sure this is more than you wanted to hear, Ian
    Last edited by tweety365; 12-25-11 at 11:43 AM.

  15. #35
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,236

    Default

    Whatever happened to Yeung Chak Lam by the way?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  16. #36
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I'm reliably informed by many girls, some still in school, that Michael Miu is still extremely hot. If anything, he's even hotter than he was during his Yang Kang days!
    I have to admit, I am still very attracted to Michael and Felix even now, not only for their appearance but also for their offscreen personality and attitude.
    I also still find Paul Chun very attractive even though he is more than twice my age!

    I actually find the broken mandarin quite entertaining.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  17. #37
    Senior Member Ian Liew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I have to admit, I am still very attracted to Michael and Felix even now, not only for their appearance but also for their offscreen personality and attitude.
    I also still find Paul Chun very attractive even though he is more than twice my age!

    I actually find the broken mandarin quite entertaining.
    I've never actually heard anyone say that they were attracted to Felix before. While he shares most of Michael's positive qualities (he's still married to Leung Kit Wah, isn't he?) he was apparently never as handsome, and in his middle years has now become more rough around the edges and grizzled, compared to Michael who has aged really gracefully. Michael's characters are also charmers in the way he speaks, while Felix's characters tend toward the blunt and direct. Felix has always been one of my favourite actors during the 80s and 90s, and I'm glad that he's got that attractiveness to ladies. Maybe those I know just didn't appreciate something good!

  18. #38
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I've never actually heard anyone say that they were attracted to Felix before. While he shares most of Michael's positive qualities (he's still married to Leung Kit Wah, isn't he?) he was apparently never as handsome, and in his middle years has now become more rough around the edges and grizzled, compared to Michael who has aged really gracefully. Michael's characters are also charmers in the way he speaks, while Felix's characters tend toward the blunt and direct. Felix has always been one of my favourite actors during the 80s and 90s, and I'm glad that he's got that attractiveness to ladies. Maybe those I know just didn't appreciate something good!
    Felix is a very manly guy but I don;t find him super handsome or charming. Looks are only a bonus that may or may not fade with age but inner character is what I pay attention to. I like his straightforwardness and also his respect for older members of the casts (he is even nice to the old ke-le-fes on set. I don't believe that he is a troublemaker or self-promoter; but only if he thinks something is very wrong, he will speak up regardless of consequences. It might not be clever or worldy to do so, but I just find his direct approach very rare and admirable. And yes, he is still very happily married to Leung Kit Wah and would rather earn less to spend more time with his daughter. Felix gives me the impression of sincerity towards his family, friends and also the audience (the dude memorizes the whole script (not only his own lines) to fully analyse the plot).

    Most people I know also do not like Felix. My mum finds him plain and my dad finds him boring. But I have always openly liked Felix ever since I was 6. He might be 80 (old, wrinkly, white-haired, etc...) but I would still like him.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  19. #39
    Senior Member CBWarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    232

    Default

    I would have preferred it in Cantonese myself too but anyway it was still good.

  20. #40
    Senior Member almo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    952

    Default

    It's funny how LOCH82 is considered a classic all around asia except Hong Kong. HK has pretty much forgotten their classic shows and it's just the society it is. People only want new stuff.

    Michael Miu always pokes fun at Felix when he has the chance. He said a few times how this one show and one character that Felix played, has given him the ability to milk this cow for decades.

    It's great to see other parts of asia still showing their appreciation for this classic series even though Hong Kongers couldn't give 2 sh*ts
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Similar Threads

  1. Twin of Brothers 2011 Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan / 大唐双龙传 (2011)
    By Mido-Ban in forum Mainland China TV Series
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-24-12, 02:03 PM
  2. Determine your cast for Spcnet edition of LOCH!
    By ltcuoi in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-01-07, 10:41 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-27-06, 06:19 PM
  4. Take That confirm a reunion tour
    By Ronaldo07 in forum Entertainment News
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-24-05, 08:04 PM
  5. The Reunion
    By goddessofhonour in forum Singapore TV Series
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-11-05, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •