Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LOCH '82 cast reunion special 2011 (SINA TV).

Default LOCH '82 cast reunion special 2011 (SINA TV).

Check it out: a very cool cast reunion for LOCH '82 on China's SINA Television, from earlier this year.

The cast (not everybody, but many of them) get together to reminisce about the production of LOCH '82. Some interesting tidbits of previously unknown information, including Wong Wan Choi's (Au Yeung Hak) appreciation for Chun Pui's (Genghis Khan) noodle cookery skills, and the LOCH' 82 Golf Club that several members of the cast first formed during production of the series (and carry on to this day).

Participants in this reunion special:

Felix Wong (Gwok Jing)
    Michael Miu (Yeung Hong)
    Patrick Tse (Yeung Teet Sum)
    Sharon Yeung (Muk Lim Chi)
    Kenneth Tsang (East Heretic Wong Yerk See - videotaped segment only; Mr. Tsang was unable to attend the event in person)
    Paul Chun (Genghis Khan)
    Andy Dai (Tolui)
    Wong Wan Choi (Au Yeung Hak)
    Bonnie Wong (Mui Chiu Fung - phone segment only)
    Chun Wong (Chow Bak Tung)
    Chan Onn Ying (Sor Goo)

Funny (but almost horrible) tidbit: during the filming of LOCH '82, Barbara *almost* blinded Michael with her "Dog Beating Stick" during an action scene. Michael reveals he was hospitalized for nearly a month, and came close to losing sight in one eye.

He never held it against Barbara though (it was, after all, a filming accident).

Here's the complete show. It's long: 2 hours and 20 minutes, although I don't think *all* of it pertains to LOCH '82.

Amazingly, there were even LOCH '82 *cosplayers* at this show...fans who made their own (fairly accurate) re-creations of TVB's LOCH '82 character costumes (most of which no longer exist).

I wish I knew Mandarin so I can understand what they were saying. Felix and Michael still look good. Wong Wai Choi looks different now. Chun Wong looks different too but I've seen him get bigger over the years so it's not surprising. Paul Chun beard sure is something.

Quote Originally Posted by Krimzon View Post
    I wish I knew Mandarin so I can understand what they were saying. Felix and Michael still look good. Wong Wai Choi looks different now. Chun Wong looks different too but I've seen him get bigger over the years so it's not surprising. Paul Chun beard sure is something.
    What's really cool is to learn that a number of the cast members became friends as a result of working on the series, and have remained friends to this day. Undoubtedly, the series was a career highlight for many of them.

Thanks for sharing the links, Ken. Gosh, I so want to understand what they are saying. Even not knowing the language, I still watched the show and can kinda figure out the gist of their conversations. It's so cool to see some of the cast together again after close to 3 decades. For their age, I say the look good. Best looking is Michael and Felix.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    Thanks for sharing the links, Ken. Gosh, I so want to understand what they are saying. Even not knowing the language, I still watched the show and can kinda figure out the gist of their conversations. It's so cool to see some of the cast together again after close to 3 decades. For their age, I say the look good. Best looking is Michael and Felix.
    I like that the cast genuinely enjoyed working together on the show nearly thirty years ago, and still have fond memories of it today. The best part is the friendships forged among many of them during the production which have endured all these years. Bonnie Wong (Mui Chiu Fung) still works out at Sharon Yeung's (Muk Lim Chi) gym/studio. Andy Dai (Tolui) goes golfing with Paul Chun (Genghis Khan...humorously, this makes it a father and son golf club). It's like the cast formed their own fraternity.

It's sad that Barbara Yung couldn't be there with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I like that the cast genuinely enjoyed working together on the show nearly thirty years ago, and still have fond memories of it today. The best part is the friendships forged among many of them during the production which have endured all these years. Bonnie Wong (Mui Chiu Fung) still works out at Sharon Yeung's (Muk Lim Chi) gym/studio. Andy Dai (Tolui) goes golfing with Paul Chun (Genghis Khan...humorously, this makes it a father and son golf club). It's like the cast formed their own fraternity.

It's sad that Barbara Yung couldn't be there with them.
    I quite enjoyed the show with the songs and performances, especially the tribute to OYF's toad martial arts. Too bad the 4 Greats couldn't all make physical appearances. It's nice to see Kenneth even if it's via satellite. How cute that "Genghis Khan" and "his son" went golfing together! I heard Felix, Michael, and Andy often go bowling together. Makes me smile every time I see pics/videos of them together. Yeah, Barbara left much too soon. The song in the background when they talked about her made it extra sad. Gosh, I really wished there are English subtitles

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    Too bad the 4 Greats couldn't all make physical appearances. It's nice to see Kenneth even if it's via satellite.
    Oddly enough, the four Greats were never onscreen at the same time in the series either (except for one very brief flashback sequence to the First Mt. Hua Sword Tournament). That's because in LOCH (the novel), there really never was an occasion that saw all four Greats in each other's immediate presence. There was always at least one missing (usually, South Emperor 1 Deng).

It's cool to see that nearly thirty years on, people are still so enthusiastic about this adaptation. It must be something very special to be so fondly remembered all these years later, and even winning new fans who weren't born when the series was first produced. Newer adaptations of LOCH are perhaps superior in some ways to LOCH '82 (e.g. production standards, sets, etc.), and might be more accurate to the novel, but LOCH '82 still has its unique charms.

Nice find, Ken! TVB should be the one who should be getting this reunions done, and yet they have to leave it to chinese TV stations.

I am very surprised to see how friendly the casts are to each other in real life. Michael and Felix together are always a joy. Paul Chun's beard comes as an initial shock but he really has a fun personality. I always love seeing Wong Wan Choi! Surprised to see Sharon Pan still looking very fit! I was actually quite annoyed that Chan On Ying was reading magazines while Paul and Patrick were being interviewed. Nice to see Ching Siu Ting appear as well.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Nice find, Ken! TVB should be the one who should be getting this reunions done, and yet they have to leave it to chinese TV stations.
    Totally agree.. then it would have been in Cantonese and infinitely easier to understand. LOCH 82 was after all a Cantonese serial. TVB probably wouldn't be able to organise something like that even if they wanted, though. People like Patrick Tse are probably beyond their budget, and if I remember correctly they're no longer on good terms with Felix or something. A real shame.

EDIT:- just saw the tribute video clips of Barbara. I can't believe they dubbed her voice just to pander to the Mandarin hegemony - that is just so disrespectful. It was also clear that some of the cast were struggling to speak Mandarin. I think not having it in Cantonese really kind of ruined it for me.
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 12-21-11 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post

EDIT:- just saw the tribute video clips of Barbara. I can't believe they dubbed her voice just to pander to the Mandarin hegemony - that is just so disrespectful.
    It's pretty standard practice in television to dub "foreign" shows (and in most of China, LOCH '82 would at least partly qualify for that status) into the local lingo to appeal to the audience. I don't think any disrespect was meant; presumably, all the cast members (not just Barbara) had their original voices redubbed in Mandarin for the local (or in China's case, national) rebroadcast. There just aren't very many Chinese conversant in Cantonese north of the Pearl River.

It was also clear that some of the cast were struggling to speak Mandarin. I think not having it in Cantonese really kind of ruined it for me.
    The bad Mandarin was kind of humorous, though. I would have preferred it in Cantonese myself, but heck, it was still a cool show (and yes, something TVB should have thought about putting together itself): I would have enjoyed it even if everybody had been speaking Swahili (OK...maybe not as much, but still...).

Saw a few minutes, planning to watch more later. I guess its really bad Mandarin if I understand some of it! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    It's pretty standard practice in television to dub "foreign" shows (and in most of China, LOCH '82 would at least partly qualify for that status) into the local lingo to appeal to the audience. I don't think any disrespect was meant; presumably, all the cast members (not just Barbara) had their original voices redubbed in Mandarin for the local (or in China's case, national) rebroadcast. There just aren't very many Chinese conversant in Cantonese north of the Pearl River.
    Oh, I have no objection to dubbing the serial for rebroadcast, but when you're showing a tribute to Barbara, and showing very short clips of how wonderful she was, having a voice-actress shout "Jing-ge-ge" isn't anywhere near as appropriate as having Barbara's own voice calling out "Jing-Gor-Gor". The audience don't need to know what she's saying, other than that is the voice of the Barbara Yung which we love. Sadly, though, Mandarin is the politically correct lingo which delibrately pushes out all other dialects these days, and I guess I should be grateful we had Roman Tam's voice singing the Canto song in the background rather than some Mandarin version.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Oh, I have no objection to dubbing the serial for rebroadcast, but when you're showing a tribute to Barbara, and showing very short clips of how wonderful she was, having a voice-actress shout "Jing-ge-ge" isn't anywhere near as appropriate as having Barbara's own voice calling out "Jing-Gor-Gor". The audience don't need to know what she's saying, other than that is the voice of the Barbara Yung which we love. Sadly, though, Mandarin is the politically correct lingo which delibrately pushes out all other dialects these days, and I guess I should be grateful we had Roman Tam's voice singing the Canto song in the background rather than some Mandarin version.
    You know what I did like: SINA TV did make the effort to make the costumes for their musical/dance segments look like authentic 1980s TVB wuxia costumes rather than "generic" current ancient costumes. That was a nice touch.

At least you guys have a better grasp of Mandarin than me . I've long since given up any expectation from TVB. The management has done a pretty bad job with the quality of series over the years and it's obvious TVB does not care about actors from the older generation.

Good find Ken...This was great...
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味

EDIT:- just saw the tribute video clips of Barbara. I can't believe they dubbed her voice just to pander to the Mandarin hegemony - that is just so disrespectful. It was also clear that some of the cast were struggling to speak Mandarin. I think not having it in Cantonese really kind of ruined it for me.
    Not a mandarin speaker I assume?

I think you missed the point on the video clips of Barbara. The whole clips of barbara was not a tribute at all, it was to introduce the person that voiced Barbara in the mainland edition, hence the reason why the little woman came out.

Like Zhu Dan said, when mainland people hear her voice, it was the voice of Rong Er.

QF
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味