Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wuxia Short Fiction

whiteskwirl (and everyone else here), here's wishing you a Happy Lunar New Year and a good year ahead!
    Man is glue. You are man. How then can you step away from glue?

Thanks for your reply.

I never knew there were female wu xia writers who got published! (This is genuinely surprising to me,lol). I get the effort to want to focus on contemporary wu xia writers though - since its rather necessary to "push" to genre forward, so to speak.

Well, I personally don't mind at all. As long as you try to keep in mind to translate some (contemporary?) female writers or protagonists once in a while.

I think the fact that there are so many fan translations is proof enough that the genre can work in English

Hmm, true-but I remember reading somewhere that a lot of fantasy books tend to be be a bit euro-centric, so I was wondering how wu xia may fit in, although like you mentioned it is probably a niche in the english speaking world, whereas wu xia is considered to be more of popular culture in Asia.

edited: darn, it's the lunar new year already? O______O
    Last edited by ice_mountain23; 01-20-12 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ice_mountain23 View Post
    Well, I personally don't mind at all. As long as you try to keep in mind to translate some (contemporary?) female writers or protagonists once in a while.
    The Cang Yue story I'm working on is one example. Some of the short stories might be by women as well. It's hard to tell sometimes because of the poetic pen names everyone uses.

Quote Originally Posted by yeongwee View Post
    whiteskwirl (and everyone else here), here's wishing you a Happy Lunar New Year and a good year ahead!
    Happy Lunar New Year to you as well, as well as everyone else here at spcnet.tv!

I have updated the index with another wuxia short story: "Master Guan" by Qu Yehe.

Happy Lunar New Year everyone!

A new wuxia story was added to the index: "Day In and Day Out" by Wu Yongsheng.

I hope to start posting the Cang Yue novelette next week, and hopefully will have the second part of the interview out as well.

I added to the index a novelette/novella by Cang Yue (沧月), Troubled Times, Worldly Desires (亂世塵心). It's divided into four parts; the other three parts will follow when they are ready.

Cang Yue is a popular female wuxia writer, probably the most popular. She's from Zhejiang, China, and she, like many recently popular writers, got her start by posting her stories to online forums. She works as an Architect and writes on the side, or at least she used to. I don't know if she's made the switch to full-time writer. I recently posted a translation of an interview with her from 2006. You can read that here if you like.

Enjoy!

Dear whiteskwirl,

i was not able to write for the last weeks since I was celebrating new year (damn all that rain!) but I must thank you for your work!

Master Guan was an excellent story! I really liked the humor! It was like a condensed version of a Gu Long book. Really funny!

And the interview was excellent, too! I hope you will do some more in the future. You don't see those pop-up too often. Now I am curious what Cang Yue writes.

thanks again for your work! And keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by WesY2K View Post
    Dear whiteskwirl,

i was not able to write for the last weeks since I was celebrating new year (damn all that rain!) but I must thank you for your work!

Master Guan was an excellent story! I really liked the humor! It was like a condensed version of a Gu Long book. Really funny!

And the interview was excellent, too! I hope you will do some more in the future. You don't see those pop-up too often. Now I am curious what Cang Yue writes.

thanks again for your work! And keep it up!
    Thanks for the kind words, and you're quite welcome. I do have another interview I plan to translate, this one with Xiao Yi, a contemporary and friend of Gu Long. I'm also working on another story by the same author who wrote Master Guan. I would like to translate more interviews and essays in the future; it's just a matter of finding them. I haven't been able to find any with Jin Yong or Gu Long that don't focus on their celebrity instead of the content of their work. So if anyone has any interviews they would like to see translated, send them to me.

Glad you liked "Master Guan" and the interview, and thanks for commenting.

Part 2 of Troubled Times, Worldly Desires by Cang Yue is now up. The last two parts will be out next week. I also have an interview with Zheng Feng coming soon.

Thanks for reading.

Thank you for the next part! And I really like the way the stories are sorted in the index. One feature that is missing here and was very good at Wuxiapedia.

Just read dancing snow. Such is the irony of life...quite tragic for the devoted father.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by WesY2K View Post
    Thank you for the next part! And I really like the way the stories are sorted in the index. One feature that is missing here and was very good at Wuxiapedia.
    Yes, a well-organized index and and posting system was priority 1 when I set out to create the forum. And keeping it up-to-date is part of that as well. Hope you like part 2.

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    Just read dancing snow. Such is the irony of life...quite tragic for the devoted father.
    "Dancing Snow" is still my favorite of the stories I've translated so far. I like that the focus is on one of those not in the jianghu, something you don't see too much in wuxia for obvious reasons. The short story form I think allows more of those kinds of vignettes, though.

so far, i've also completed witness and bridge hands. are all these short stories going to be sad? where are the happy endings?
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    so far, i've also completed witness and bridge hands. are all these short stories going to be sad? where are the happy endings?
    "Master Guan" has a lighter tone than the rest. "Liu Luo Xiang" is also not really a sad ending, though it's not happy either.

Part 3 of Cang Yue's "Troubled Times, Worldly Desires" is up now: http://xiaoshuo.genreverse.com/forum...pid=137#pid137

The last part should be up Wednesday.

The fourth and final part of Cang Yue's "Troubled Times, Worldly Desires" is up now.

And that concludes the first English translation of Cang Yue's work. Hopefully in the future there will be more Cang Yue translations.

Now that this story is finished, I have another story that should be ready by next week. After that I plan to start translating a Ni Kuang novella called 啞俠 (ya xia, The Mute Xia). It's about 30,000 characters long so it will take longer than anything I've translated so far. But anyway, that's what I will be starting on next.

I'm still taking suggestions for which novel I should work on next. Several people have suggested I finish a translation, and I might just do that. But if anyone has any other suggestions, you can post them in the request thread.

Thanks for reading!

After drinking the wuxia heroes will slam the bowl down and exclaim "Good Wine!". I slam my hands down on my keyboard and exclaim "Good Story!" =) Thanks whiteskwirl, I really liked that one!
    Man is glue. You are man. How then can you step away from glue?

Quote Originally Posted by yeongwee View Post
    After drinking the wuxia heroes will slam the bowl down and exclaim "Good Wine!". I slam my hands down on my keyboard and exclaim "Good Story!" =) Thanks whiteskwirl, I really liked that one!
    Glad you enjoyed it. Another short story is coming next week.

Here is a new wuxia story translation: "A Soldier's Story" by Yang Pan.

Enjoy!