Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Female Prime Minister 《女相》 - Chen Xiao, Zhao Li Ying, Yang Rong

Anyone know how many episodes the TV version of this drama has? I thought I read it was only 45 episodes, but looked at hunan tv's schedule and by Sunday, it'll be up to episode 54! Not even sure if that is the ending. I know that by episode 37, we're just over half way through the novel, but can't image this becoming a second 'zhen huan zhuan' with over 70 episodes.

They are trying to drag out the series...fri and sat episodes are roughly about 30mins each and the start of each episode recaps about 5mins of the previous episodes...thats not counting the beginning and ending theme song and the next episode's preview....

I thought shen bi didnt even marry the guy? the empress just gave her to him...

Was there a blooper? episode 36 when shen jaiyan avoided knocking lu zhen (just like when she met gao zhan) with his horse...what happened to luzhen's hair accessories? The next scene shows her drinking tea with shen jiayan and she has her hair accessories!

Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    Shen Bi's ending is quite sad. Empress Dowager Lou is going to use her like a piece of chattel and marry her off to some foreign lord in the western region for political gain. And she will sacrifice her life to save Gao Zhan.
    Thanks. I actually don't feel sad nor sorry for her because when good people were surrounding her and befriending her (for example lu zhen) she back stabs them and only cares for herself. She uses other people, now like karma, she is being used by others.
    Last edited by Stace Vang; 05-20-13 at 07:13 PM.

I feel like the relationship between Huan Yun and the emperor is developing too fast. Doesn't seem believable to me.

I think there is supposed to have passed sometime between Gao Yan telling Huan Yun that he will wait for her until she accepts him. I think she cares about him and has finally decided to let go of Gao Zhan and is fully devoted to Gao Yan. While I’m still not convinced that she loves him as much as she loved Gao Zhan yet, their relationship is refreshing, which quite frankly, this snoozefest of a series needs.

As much as I love Chen Xiao and how adorably cute he looks with Zhao Li Ying, their relationship isn’t enough to make me want to keep watching. Yesterday’s scene with Gao Zhan screaming at everyone, supposedly for wanting to hurt Lu Zhen, was kind of an overkill. Thank god he wasn’t in his right mind. In short, something other than the two of them looking lovingly at each other really needs to happen.

I am surprised this Lu Zhen can makeit to be Prime Minister. I find her too naive and trusting of the people around her all the time. Absolutely no street smarts at all.

Interesting...I think I like Huanyun being vindictive and slightly obsessed more than the Huanyun who likes the emperor. I think the sudden displeasure she showed Gao Zhan when he tried to kill her was kind of an overstretch, especially since it suddenly tied back to her liking the emperor.

I found the last two episodes to be really enjoyable compared to the last 10 episodes or so. I think I like an emotional Gao Zhan, and Chen Xiao in episode 40 was the best performance I've seen out of him in the last 40 episodes. I really love how CX and ZLY act together...as artistes they really complement each other well. Anyway, I wonder if his craziness lingers on the rest of his life and plays a significant part in remaining episodes?

I don't think LZ is really that naive. She fights her battles when she needs to and is quick to realize who is untrustworthy or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Surferket View Post
    I am surprised this Lu Zhen can makeit to be Prime Minister. I find her too naive and trusting of the people around her all the time. Absolutely no street smarts at all.
    I feel that the only instance that I've noticed of her naivety is probably the situation with Shen Bi. That was just incomprehensible. However, I don't think she's really trusted the other people around her?

I think the hints of her political awareness of what's going on outside the inner court is present in the series, but admittedly somewhat sparse. I think if the story focused more on the political side of things, this situation of her gaining such a high role on her own would be more plausible. At current, the overload on the loving romance is getting somewhat sappy. I can't honestly say I enjoy watching either of the couples, nor either of the male leads. Shen Jiayan and Lu Zhen are both separately captivating as characters (also in regards to acting), and I did enjoy the brotherly bonding in their relationship, but there haven't been sufficient scenes for me to feel anything for their relationship yet. Hoping this will get developed better in further episodes!

Huanyun is by far one of the most interesting characters, however, there would be no character development is she stayed obsessed with Gao Zhan for the remainder of the series. Circumstances put her in a position she didn’t want and while she was driven to become selfish and cold hearted I don’t think she is naturally that kind of person. Judging from the trailer, she not afraid to act in the face of enemies even if she has to make some tough decisions, so she didn’t do a complete turnaround just because her focus is no longer on Gao Zhan.

The main couple is extremely likeable but the focus has been about their love since the beginning and I feel like their relationship has become repetitive. Chen Xiao acted well in the scene, but it’s Gao Zhan’s reaction that I find to be too much – that is until we find out that he himself had no control.

Quote Originally Posted by happyswallow View Post
    I found the last two episodes to be really enjoyable compared to the last 10 episodes or so. I think I like an emotional Gao Zhan, and Chen Xiao in episode 40 was the best performance I've seen out of him in the last 40 episodes. I really love how CX and ZLY act together...as artistes they really complement each other well. Anyway, I wonder if his craziness lingers on the rest of his life and plays a significant part in remaining episodes?
    Gao Zhan's craziness in the last few episodes lays the foundation for an important plot development later in the story. He didn't go crazy just to go crazy. LOL. His lack of self-control, or consciousness of his own actions, gets even worst when he becomes emperor. There will be instances where he loses his mind and sees everyone as his enemies except for Lu Zhen. There is a scene where he even wields a sword at Lu Zhen because he got delusional and saw her as Empress Dowager Lou. I read that his mental state deteriorates to the point where he commits random acts of violence (I.e. killing his servants).
    Last edited by JoleCole; 05-21-13 at 05:08 PM.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/mw690/4827a92djw1e4w9oxcr8dj20ne0fmmzs.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    Gao Zhan's craziness in the last few episodes lays the foundation for an important plot development later in the story. He didn't go crazy just to go crazy. LOL. His lack of self-control, or consciousness of his own actions, gets even worst when he becomes emperor.  There will be instances where he loses his mind and sees everyone as his enemies except for Lu Zhen. There is a scene where he even wields a sword at Lu Zhen because he got delusional and saw her as Empress Dowager Lou. I read that his mental state deteriorates to the point where he has random acts of violence (I.e. killing his servants).
    Very,very interesting. You're making me excited to see how this turns out! Is this the screenwriter's way of tying in the drama version of Gao Zhan with the historical, maniacal Gao Zhan? [BTW, does anyone know why wikipedia has him down as Gao Dan?]

The majority of the last ten episodes or so could have been cut out. That part was quite draggy. I would prefer to see more of Gao Zhan in his unstable state and how that plays out, and how Lu Zhen deals with his reign.

If I recall correctly, the novel doesnt go into detailed description of how lu zhen deals with his reign...it was just 2-3 lines...

The majority of the last ten episodes or so could have been cut out. That part was quite draggy. I would prefer to see more of Gao Zhan in his unstable state and how that plays out, and how Lu Zhen deals with his reign.
    I agree that Gao Zhan's unstable state is more interesting to see. I think Chen Xiao does better with that type of role as well? Although I didn't watch most of the new Xiao Ao Jiang Hu, but the snippets that I watched of his rendition of Ling Ping Zhi seemed amazing. He totally stole the show (which motivates me to go back and actually watch the whole thing despite the plot/character oddities). I think how good he was as Ling Ping Zhi may also be why his Gao Zhan seems a bit bland/awkward in comparison... hoping this will change as Gao Zhan's mental state deteriorates! lol.

Is it just me or did they really used simplified Chinese on Shen Jiamin's tombstone? That's gotta be one of the stupidest bloopers ever.

As much as I like this show, it is really beginning to drag. The constant fighting between Lu Zhen and Gao Zhan is becoming very repetitive. I'm actually finding the scenes between Lu Zhen and Shen JiaYan more interesting to watch.

Default 定不负相思意

定不负相思意

Do you remember Gao Zhan saying this to Lu Zhen when she returned the tiger statue to him when Gao Zhan was helping with the disaster efforts or when Lu Zhen kept writing this phrase on paper???

Well I googled the phrase and apparently this poem contains this phrase...

我住长江头,
    君住长江尾.
    日日思君不见君,
    共饮一江水。
    此水几时休,
    此恨何时已.
    只愿君心似我心,
    定不负相思意.

Loosely translated

I (1) live at the source of Chang Jiang(2),
    My Lord (1) lives at the mouth of Chang Jiang.
    I pine (3) for my Lord every day without seeing him,
    (though we) both drink from the same river water.
    The day the river stops flowing,
    (is) the day my sorrow (4) ceases. (5)
    If my Lord’s desire (6) resembles mine,
    I shall not betray this pining desire (for you).

Explanation:
    (1) This is a love poem written by a woman to her lover, whom she misses deeply. 君 (jun) aka gentlemen refers to her lover.
    (2) aka Yangtze River
    (3) 思 (si) means think but I chose to use ‘pine’ to tie in with the ‘相思’ which means ‘pine’
    (4) 恨 (hen) means both hatred and regret/sorrow. here it’s the sorrow of being apart.
    (5) this 2 lines can be translated as questions. As in ‘When does the river stop flowing?’ ‘When does my sorrow cease?’ But I prefer translating it this way because I feel it ties in better with lines 3-4 where she cannot see her Lord yet they drink from the same river, so the river is a metaphor for their love where the river takes the place of her Lord. So if the river is her love for her Lord and it stops flowing, naturally her sorrow at being apart ceases. By not posing these 2 lines as questions, it emphasizes the writer's finality towards her love...that her love will cease only when the river stops flowing...and for a river to stop flowing is unhighly likely... or will take a long time to stop flowing.
    (6) 心 (xin) also means heart but I use desire.

I got all excited thinking that Gao Zhan had an added meaning when he sent ‘定不负相思意’to Lu Zhen and all the more considering that Gao Zhan was also at a disaster area near a River!

I then googled the writer 李之仪 who’s a Song Dynasty writer. Gao Zhan’s Northern Qi Dynasty ruled northern China from 550 to 577 but the Song Dynasty was a ruling dynasty in China between 960 and 1279. So different period, different geography…

Sorry for the long winded post and hopefully this post didn’t bore you out!

Thanks yannlc!! I was wondering if he was quoting something with that line!

Quote Originally Posted by yannlc View Post
    定不负相思意

I then googled the writer 李之仪 who’s a Song Dynasty writer. Gao Zhan’s Northern Qi Dynasty ruled northern China from 550 to 577 but the Song Dynasty was a ruling dynasty in China between 960 and 1279. So different period, different geography…
    Wow... that seems like like a pretty big mistake there.

This story is going all over the place.

Still love LZ and GZ together but there are just too many unnecessary distractions thrown in their direction. GZ was starting to turn into the kind of annoying overbearing man I dislike, although that resolved quickly. Shen Jiayan needs to come, sweep LZ off her feet, and take her away! ^^

Someone pleeeease tell me this isn't going to turn into some creepy semi-incestuous story where LZ finds out GZ is her half-brother...

On a lighter note, it seems like Yu Zheng is super eager to have these two super-hot artistes work together again...it sounds like he has another novel in mind.
    Last edited by happyswallow; 05-23-13 at 07:40 PM.

Haven't seen today's episodes yet, but wasn't there something odd about how quickly Gao Zhan recovered from seeing Lu Zhen hugging Shen Jiayan? It almost felt like a huge scene was cut out because one moment he's upset enough to cough up blood and the next he's completely understanding and over it? Am I missing something here?

Shen Jiayan needs to come, sweep LZ off her feet, and take her away! ^^
    I do find it amazing how well Shen Jiayan understands her! Although the two of them both being foster children is a bit of a stretch... but they really are so compatible! It's times like these when I wish the directing was a bit better, because despite Shen Jiayan's lines/actions, I still somehow can't really feel that he's that much in love with her. It's like the camera pauses on him thinking of Lu Zhen when it's kind of superfluous, but then doesn't pause on him in those key moments when he should be most hurt about her being in love with his best friend (pretty sure the scene usually focuses on Gao Zhan and Lu Zhen acting lovingly with each other instead... which is less exciting).

Someone pleeeease tell me this isn't going to turn into some creepy semi-incestuous story where LZ finds out GZ is her half-brother...
    I was starting to suspect this too...