Thread: Translation help

Question Translation help

Hi!

I hope somebody can help me. This is from the Giddens Novel "Kung Fu" and this sentence is driving me crazy:
    國一沒什麼功課壓力,沒什麼值得煩惱的事,但因為年代的侷限跟自己個性拘束的關係,一些現在年輕人覺得很屌 的玩意兒,像是嗑藥、飆車砍人大賽等等都跟我一點干係也沒。

How can you translate this sentence properly?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by WesY2K View Post
    Hi!

I hope somebody can help me. This is from the Giddens Novel "Kung Fu" and this sentence is driving me crazy:
    國一沒什麼功課壓力,沒什麼值得煩惱的事,但因為年代的侷限跟自己個性拘束的關係,一些現在年輕人覺得很屌 的玩意兒,像是嗑藥、飆車砍人大賽等等都跟我一點干係也沒。

How can you translate this sentence properly?

Thank you!
    It means, roughly:

My first year of junior high I had no pressure from homework, nothing much to worry about, but because of the restrictions of the times (in 1986 Taiwan was still under martial law, so there weren't as many freedoms) and my restrained personality (remember, earlier he said his friend thought him boring, and he always did things by the book, did what he was supposed to), some of the things young people thought were cool, such as drugs, harassing people on scooters (not sure how to best put this, but he's talking about how people would ride their scooters and cut people with knives, swords, etc. as they drove past), and so on, I had no involvement in.
    Hope that helps!

Thank you!

This really helps me! And I am lucky that you still translated something before you went camping! :-)

I found all the words in the text but couldn't manage to make them work here.

I translated the first part as:
    I am a very boring person, at least in the eyes of my friends. I don't have any special characteristics and I am always comforming with the rules of society.
    So far that made sense and then came the sentence below which confused the hell out of me.

Seems like I am still lightyears away from being able to read. Although I understood all the titles of the novels the old man was telling him... :-)

whiteskwirl you are my hero for this year! :-) Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by WesY2K View Post
    Thank you!

This really helps me! And I am lucky that you still translated something before you went camping! :-)

I found all the words in the text but couldn't manage to make them work here.

I translated the first part as:
    I am a very boring person, at least in the eyes of my friends. I don't have any special characteristics and I am always comforming with the rules of society.
    So far that made sense and then came the sentence below which confused the hell out of me.

Seems like I am still lightyears away from being able to read. Although I understood all the titles of the novels the old man was telling him... :-)

whiteskwirl you are my hero for this year! :-) Thank you.
    You're welcome. 九把刀 is difficult to translate because he uses so many current colloquial expressions. His writing is unique, which is probably why he's the most popular writer in Taiwan.