Thread: Why did GL hire a wushu master (rather than kendo, karate, etc.) to play Darth Maul

Banned

Default Why did GL hire a wushu master (rather than kendo, karate, etc.) to play Darth Maul?

Evryone already knows the fact, if not by the end of the sentence that Ray Park, the actor who played Darth Maul on the big screen was a wushu international champ.

So, the question is, why did GL hire a wushu master to play Darth Maul (when he could have had one from kendo, karate, judo, or whatever Japanese discipline?)

And didn't STAR WARS happened after GL watched some Samurai flicks (The Hidden Fortress, Seven Samurais, etc.)?

ANSWER: It (STAR WARS) didn't. It actually derives from Jin Yong's Condor Trilogy (SW happened in the late 70's vs Condor Trilogy's early 60's publish dates. Cause vs effects). STAR WARS came from Jin Yong wuxia.

Last edited by hirobo2; 05-17-17 at 12:42 PM.

Banned

Banned

The bottom line is STAR WARS had always been more Jin Yong-nese than Samurai-nese. That's why GL enlisted a Chinese martial arts expert. Could you imagine trying to get a kendo/karate guy to play Yang Kang (Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader) or Yang Guo (Luke Skywalker) and co.?

Banned

Wushu intl champ:

Last edited by hirobo2; 05-17-17 at 12:47 PM.

Honestly, I had to take a moment when I read the headline. I was wondering how Gu Long was involved in casting Phantom Menace when he died in 1985.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by missouri.slim View Post
    Honestly, I had to take a moment when I read the headline. I was wondering how Gu Long was involved in casting Phantom Menace when he died in 1985.
    Buddy, get your facts straight. STAR WARS derives from Jin Yong's works. But if you want a debate on Gu Long, I'd probably lose. Though he is one of three Pilars of modern wuxia, I have no idea who he is or what works he had written.

(Gu Long fans don't this as an insult BTW, I had no idea who Hu Ge was prior to watching Nirvana in Fire).

Anyways, the point of this thread is for open discussions. If anyone wants to challenge the premise, then plz show not tell an example where a Japanese-trained swordmaster/sparrist made a grand splash in the SW universe.
    Last edited by hirobo2; 05-17-17 at 02:00 PM.

Banned

Personally, I think the question everyone should be asking is: What in the world is Chinese martial arts doing in an American "Japanized flick franchise"?

ANSWER: Oh wait, SW actually came from Japan and not Anglo-Saxon controlled HK (pre-China hand back)?

Quote Originally Posted by hirobo2 View Post
    Buddy, get your facts straight. STAR WARS derives from Jin Yong's works. But if you want a debate on Gu Long, I'd probably lose. Though he is one of three Pilars of modern wuxia, I have no idea who he is or what works he had written.

(Gu Long fans don't this as an insult BTW, I had no idea who Hu Ge was prior to watching Nirvana in Fire).

Anyways, the point of this thread is for open discussions. If anyone wants to challenge the premise, then plz show not tell an example where a Japanese-trained swordmaster/sparrist made a grand splash in the SW universe.
    Was only noting that when i see GL used as an abbreviation on this site, I usually see it in reference to Gu Long because i am most often in the novel translation and discussion board. The only fact I presented was his year of death, and I do not believe that is in dispute. Beyond that i will not take your bait.