Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moon Demon - Huang Yi

Default Moon Demon - Huang Yi

I have decided to try my own hand at translating. I decided to go with a lesser known author to try to get some exposure to generally unknown wuxia writers. My ultimate choice was Huang Yi. One of the reasons I chose him is because he mixes Wuxia with modern times. I think it would be great to give everyone a change of pace

I don't speak Chinese so I apologize for the terrible job I am going to do. I would like to state right now that by no means is this a scholarly work, but rather a rabid fan's attempt to bring Wuxia to other English speakers.

Title: Moon Demon
    Author: Huang Yi

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. I will be continuously translating this here, and at my site (and KangXi's/Paul's) WuxiaWorld .
    --=={Grundle}==--

Chapter 1 - Death of the Professor

Ling Duyu returned to his home, as the hanging pendulum in the hallway clock struck 12:00, announcing the end to another day.

The buzzing of the mountain cicadas faintly penetrated through the windows and doors spreading throughout the house. It is a modernized replica of a foreign-style house. Ling Duyu's home is built near the top of a mountain. In the living room there is a wall made completely of glass giving a broad view of the surrounding landscape. It has a panoramic view of a harbor and the opposite shore, with the many lights of an enchanting city coloring both banks brightly. The sea reflects an inverted image of the beautiful city making it difficult to tell which is real and which is not. It like a scene straight out of an imaginary dream.

Ling Duyu turned on some soft music, and sat down on his sofa. His back sank into the soft pillow sending a feeling of comfort throughout every nerve of his body.

That day a strange matter had occurred which was still puzzling him. Ling Duyu took out a blue leather-bound booklet from his bag. On the cover there was a clear title inscribed "DIARY" in bronze type-face. The letters were made of flying dragons, and little dancing phoenixes, showing how much thought the craftsman put into it.

Ling Duyu wasn't interested in the diary's elegant design, but the contents dwelling within. When he discovered Professor Xie's corpse, the diary was clasped tightly in his thin hand. It was held so tightly that if one looked close enough they might still be able to see the finger marks left on the cover. Whatever was inside this diary had to be an astonishing secret since even in death he could not put it down.

Ling Duyu did not dare to rashly force Professor Xie's fingers from the book. When he died he was already grasping the book tightly. In death his muscles began to stiffen and become even more rigid. The only way to remove the book at this point would be to break the fingers one by one.

Luckily this is Ling Duyu who uses acupuncture. Taking one of the needles he carries with him, he pricked Professor Xie in the arm, then on the shoulder following several acupuncture points. While he pricked the professor he began to pull on the Professor's body at several different points. Only after going through all of this was he able to control the hand.

Soon the hand loosened and opened up allowing him to retrieve the book.Ling Duyu learned many methods for dealing with the dead during his childhood in Tibet's celestial burial place, from his teacher.

Since that event, earlier in the day, he has not had the opportunity or the time to read the Diary. Exactly at noon he received a long distance phone call from Chen Wupen in the US. With a breathless and frightened voice Chen Wupeng asked him to hurry immediately to his Uncle Professor Xie's place, but he would not tell him the reason why.

Ling Duyu's disposition is to take care of any request even if it is from someone passing on the street that he isn't even acquainted with. His righteous attitude would never let him refuse Chen Wupeng who is part of the same secret organization as Ling. They have also shared several life and death trials and in the process became best friends.

Jumping into his pearl white vehicle he quickly accelerated to 80 miles per hour. When he noticed a policeman on a motorcycle chasing him, he tried to shake him. After running five red lights he was able to safely continue. He quckly rushed to Professor Xie's suburban residence, but was shocked to discover that the Professor was already dead. The corpse's chest was still a little warm. Duyu estimated that he had been murdered about a half an hour earlier.

As he observed the corpse he noticed that it was situated in a strange position. The professor had obviously suffocated to death. His breastbone also appeared to have been completely shattered. What is strange is that there is no apparent bruising or trauma visible on the skin. Even a slight hit should leave at least a small mark. How is this even possible? It would take a force of a thousand pounds or more to shatter a breastbone like that.
    --=={Grundle}==--

Lol, this sounds like Da Vinci code except with Qi bullets instead of normal ones. ^^

I never read DaVinci code. I'll have to check it out now to see what you ar talking about lol.

---

Very carefully he examined every inch of the room, but he could not find any item that a criminal could use to cause these wounds. The room was actually in good order. There were no signs that a struggle took place. The front door and window were both intact. Ling Duyu used two steel wires he took from his suit to skillfully unlock the door and quietly enter. Even the unwitting ghost inside did not notice his entry.

Professor Xie's eyes were both wide open. Fear was reflected in his eyes, his facial expression registered a state of panic and dread. He looked like he didn't want to believe that his death was happening at all. Even for someone with a lot of courage like Ling Duyu, after looking at this scene, he couldn't help feeling afraid.

The corpse seemed to have tumbled from a chair looking up, the mouth was open wide where it unwillingly sucked in its last breath of air. The ash white face was raised to an impossible angle, eyeglasses hung suspended from the right ear swinging back and forth longing to fall to the floor. He seemingly met with an invisible demon who tightened its powerful hand around his frail throat.

Throughout Ling Duyu's strange and wonderful life, he had never seen someone die like this before. He once saw someone whose skin was peeled off until they died, another man he saw completely dismembered leaving him with no arms or legs. Even though both of those methods were extremely cruel and merciless they weren't necessarily worse than the strange and inexplicable death Professor Xie endured. What could cause such a terrifying death?

Professor Xie's left hand hung limply to the side, while his right hand lay between his chest and belly with the grasping fingers that Ling Duyu retrived the blue leather diary from. He quickly eliminated any evidence of his forced entry, and then calmly reported it to the police. The diary was concealed for himself. He has only ever trusted in his own ability. At the same time within the diary there is a great secret waiting to be discovered. Ling Duyu hoped he would be able to keep it safe until chen Wupeng came back.

When the police arrived he appeared to be very calm as they repeatedly interrogated him in order to get to the bottom of their investigation. Later that day at dusk he also hid from the police a phone call he made. He was able to find Chen Wupeng in the United States and told him the bad news about Professor Xie's death. Chen Wupeng has always been very irritable, but when he heard the sad news about Professor Xie his reaction was unusual. Instead of being distressed and agitated, he responded vaguely, "He is really dead, he really did die..."

Ling Duyu asked, "Wupeng, is there an explanation for what happened?

The conversation turned out to be one sided. Chen Wupeng didn't hear a word only muttered,

"This was really unexpected, I was the only person that knew..."

He madly screamed out, "What kind of hideous ... its too much!!"

Ling Duyu was secretly amazed. Chen Wupeng has been through many great storms, any matter that could make him act abnormal must be fearful. After five minutes of gasping for breath Chen Wupeng finally started to calm down. Ling Duyu listened until he forced himself to respond with a great surge of willpower saying, "Wait for me to come back, we'll speak again." With that single phrase the call ended as the line went dead.

Ling Duyu expected his conversation with Chen Wupeng to clear the dense fog, but it only made the puzzle more complex. At least Chen Wuping would shortly be on his way back.

A new song brought Ling Duyu out of his reverie as he opened the diary to the first page. The date written on the page is March 15, 1984. It was written four years ago. The diary entry read:
    Last edited by Grundle; 08-09-06 at 11:01 AM.
    --=={Grundle}==--

Okay, getting through the journal is kind of slow reading, unless you really like science, but the book picks up again after that.

"This morning I returned to the University Research Institute. I had a chance encounter with Lao Xu. I found out his friend Dr. Zheng Yunlin died right in front of him. I couldn't bear the sound of his sobs. From the spring of birth to the autumn of death is like a cloudy dream. His fame and fortune are nothing to him now, all he has is the grief and sighs of old friends..."

Ling Duyu turned several pages. The diary was not continual. Sometimes several months would pass between entries, it would be more appriate to call it a registry.

Professor Xie Ning became an internationally known archaeologist at the age of 35 when he published "The migration of the African Coast populations". The world archaeological community praised his efforts, propelling him forward as a leader in the field. After that he spent dozens of years meticulously researching the culture and language of ancient Egypt. He became the recognized archaeological authority in the world of education.

His life was devoted to educate others, he was also a renowned traveller. The Professor was a modern Xu Xiake. The inexplicable death of such a prominant scholar was definitely a huge loss to the archaeology community that could never be reclaimed.

This year the Professor was 65 years old. He had retired from teaching five years ago. According to what Chen Wuping said, for the last 20 years the professor had been infatuated with finding ancient civilizations. He believed that before modern civilization emerged, there existed on Earth other highly civilized cultures possibly with "the Peking men" and "the Lantian man". This was around 400,000 to 500,000 years ago in prehistoric times. This particular theory belonged in an archaeological no mans land. If a credible discovery could be found to prove it, it would be a landmark day and an astonishing feat.

With disquieting thoughts, Ling Duyu continued to browse through the archaeological giant's notes, the contents not recording his life's feelings but his studies, newly acquired knowlege, and penetrating analysis of archaeology. Ling Duyu galloped through the scholar's unbounded inner world of thought, his famous reputation was not undeserved. This great scholar had a high level of academic attainment, coupled with a daring and rich imagination. There was a huge difference between him and others who filled their brains with small facts just to become so-called scholars.

For example on July 7, 1985 he wrote:

"Humanity has become used to a tiny knowlege of its present immersion in history spanning a narrow space of time. Like an ostrich hiding its head in the sand, it remains to be seen whether or not they have the courage and perseverence to search out history's numerous unsolved mysteries.

For example in each established culture's history, there has been recorded a flood that encompassed the entire earth. Our Chinese history speaks of Da Yu who was able to control the rivers. His father tried to block the waters, but his method failed. Da Yu later unblocked the rivers and led the water away. Only after this solution did the flood finally disappear. This great flood endured for 15 years before it was able to subside.

A skillfully written account also appears in the Jewish culture who speak of Noah's Ark. In the Holy Bible it is written that Noah was warned by God that a flood was coming and he was instructed to build a great boat. He was to sort all of the animals of the world into a male and femal pair and put them on the boat. Noah ,and the animals he took on the boat, were the only life-forms that were fortunate enough to survive the great flood allowing humanity to continue. Currently there are people seeking traces of Noah's Ark.

Other histories, like Greece and India, don't fail to mention shocking accounts of a catastrophic flood. This should be irrefutable proof, that every modern civilization's history has recorded some version of a global catastrophic flood that did not subside for a long time. Over the entire earth through different nationalities there are abundant examples in their ancient histories of this great and terrible disaster.

Such a great disaster could have possibly destroyed the remnants of any former civilization. The current modern society is actually a recently developed civilization. The question therefore is can such a great flood repeat? This is most certainly an extremely urgent question."

LIng Duyu is not a scholar, but the professor presented his argument concisely making it easy to understand how such a great disaster could plague humanity again at a later date.

The journal continued on:
    Last edited by Grundle; 08-10-06 at 10:28 AM.
    --=={Grundle}==--

In the ice-fields of Siberia there was once discovered a herd of mammoths in 1976. The herd of mammoths was a species that could only survive in a tropical environment. These mammoths had three interesting characteristics.First their bodies were completely intact, and the meat taken from the bodies was edible. Secondly inside of their mouths and stomachs undigested green grass was found. Finally their stomachs were inflated, indicating that they died of suffocation. The only reasonable explanation for this phenomenon is that when the tropical mammoths were grazing, the weather suddenly changed to an extreme cold that instantly froze them.

Could this be the most significant evidence of a shift in the earth's axis? There is a prevalent theory in scientific circles, just as the Earth rotates around its axis according to the principle of centrifugal force, an object revolves around a single point with the greatest weight. The earth itself rotates around the point having the greatest weight, therefore the earth's rotation must be about the equator, which also has the greatest diameter and weight.

According to an investigation it was demonstrated that the ice at the North and South poles is continually growing more layers. When the ice at both poles becomes heavier than the equator, the rotational balance can be broken. At that moment the entire Earth would reverse. The poles would become the new equator and the equator would establish new north and south poles.

This model adequately explains the mammoths instant death. The tropical mammoth would have most likely been grazing in a prarie located at or close to the equator. The earth suddenly made this reversal transporting them from the tropical prairie to a new world of ice and snow as Siberia froze in an instant. At the new equator the sudden increase in temperature melted the ice causing an astonishing global flood. Scientists estimate that if the ice at both poles melted all at once, the Earth's water level could surge upwards by 50 meters or more.

This would certainly cause Noah to escape in a boat, it would also explain how Da Yu became a flood conquering leader. When the earth shifted its axis there were earthquakes, and tsunamis everywhere. In the face of such a sudden occurance any civilization could instantly disintegrate and disappear like a puff of smoke. This type of calamity could be a cyclical event. With each occurance of the cycle one civilization is destroyed with a new one taking its place."

Ling Duyu sucked in his breath heavily. A sudden worldwide transformation could happen at any time. He look farther down the page, written a week later,

"Many people who are relentlessly searching for the answers to Earth's myriad mysteries aspire to the thought that the answer lies in outer space. They believe that visitors from other worlds could be responsible. I prefer to believe that the answers are right in front of us. The explanation for these riddles comes from previous civilizations who were highly advanced, and it is even possible that they were not all of the human species.

Prehistoric history has always puzzled me. The earliest memories of the primitive African cultures all testify to the worship of the same God named Sirius. Given to this God was the position referred to as 'the Dark Partner'. It was said that 'the dark partner' was the possessor of the 'most important materials of creation'.

This ancient belief results in an amazing revelation. Modern astronomy was recently developed within the last century. Accordingly, astronomers have discovered that the star known as Sirius travels along an unusual path. Based on these findings, it has been shown that Sirius is a double star system. The second star is a neutron star which does not emit light. Could this nuetron star be the 'dark partner'?

A cubic meter of a neutron star is an extremely dense body of matter. The nature of it is an extremely dense form of matter sometimes referred to as neutronium. It is quite possible that such a small amount of matter from a neutron star would be heavier than the entire Earth. Could the neutronium be 'the most important materials of creation'?

Science is currently trying to develop more advanced telescopes to prove these theories. Why did these primitive cultures have such a creative knowlege of the universe? Did a previous highly advanced civilization leave them with pieces of their memory??? "

The Professor put three questions marks at the end of the entry, illustrating his confusion. Ling Duyu read with interest 10 more pages all written within 1985-1986. Every single entry focused on the repeated discussion of prehistoric civilizations, and this continual question.

Turning to the page marked August 8, 1986 another strange account was written,

"The day before yesterday I finally contacted M. He has seen the material that I transcribed for him personally. He asked why I didn't take any pictures. He doesn't know how hard this was for me. Only after offering a bribe was I allowed, one evening, to enter into the temple library. Only then was I able to copy the flagstone's inscriptions. It is an extremely rare find to have an an artifact, such as the flagstone, that has seen the horrors of war survive intact and in such good condition.

M bluntly stated that he doesn't believe the inscriptions left on the flagstone. He said that it is just a myth and a fictional account that has been grossly exaggerated.
    --=={Grundle}==--

Thanks for taking the time to translate it =)
    "Power tends to corrup and absolute power corrupt absolutely" ~ Lord Acton

Wow this is very interesting stuff. I never wondered if there could be a consipracy theory behind this sort of stuff...

However, on a more stupid note, it would be hard for the earth to actually do a flip, since if you conserve angular momentum, I think it might be impossible. But stupid physics, I like novels better ^_^

Think of a spinning top. As it slows down it begins to wobble and lean to one side or another. I believe the principle is the same here, but instead of the earth slowing its rotation allowing the weight to suddenly take control it is the opposite. The weight grows until it can break the "top-like" spin.

It is hard to translate that the earth would basically establish a new axis of spin altogether. It is a strange idea and it has some weaknesses, for example once the heavy ice starts to melt, why doesn't it flip back?

This has been fun to translate though. Since I love science it is cool to extrapolate on these ideas in English. Thanks for the comments they motivate me to do even more
    --=={Grundle}==--

Hey Grundle,

Thanks a lot for stepping up to the plate to giving us Wuxia fans a new flavor experience.

Just double checking though, Huang Yi is this auther ---> 黄易, right?
    And the title Moon Demon is ----> 月 魔.

So, this guy is the same auther that is responsible for the last couple of big hits in Hong Kong Wuxia drama series, "Step into the Past" ( 寻秦记 / 尋秦記 ), "Twin of Brothers" ( 大唐双龙传 / 大唐雙龍傳 ), "Lethal Weapons of Love and Passion" ( 覆雨翻云 / 覆雨翻雲 )...etc...etc...?

Yeahhh...lately, I've taken to a certain interest in his works and was curious about if there is any additional information on this author. Or is he like...maybe the leader of the next generation Wuxia novelist?
    But of course this is all just assumptions on my part since I'm not very familiar with the current chinese literary community.

But if you or anyone else can shed some light or have any suggestions or resources regarding this novelist and his other works would be greatly appreciated. Just trying to branch out and learn about what other good novels are out there. Thanks in advance.

-Peter Wong
    Last edited by PeterWong; 08-15-06 at 04:19 AM.

Peter you are absolutely correct about the Chinese characters for Huang Yi and this translation.

He also wrote the novels that those adaptations you mentioned are based off of.

I can give you a few links on Huang Yi if you are interested to know more. He is one of the "newer" wuxia writers, and he is known for mixing Wuxia with modern times.

There is a short biography on him at http://www.wuxiaworld.org/modules/cj...index.php?id=2

Most of his novels are posted at http://easysea.com/wuxia/index1/006.htm but that is if you can read chinese.

On another completely different note. I realized that the spinning top analogy is completely wrong because part of its wobble/falling over as spin decreases would be determined by gravity. The earth is technically spinning in a vacuum, so I was totally wrong lol
    --=={Grundle}==--

Almost done with Chapter 1

Yes! It caused me to linger in Egypt for three full months! I must make the significance of the flagstone known. They are really stupid. They don't even dare to touch it. Even others who have requested to study it have been strictly prohibited and sent away."

Ling Duyu thought to himself, "Who is M? What kind of incredible artifact could it be? What could possibly make the experienced Professor Xie marvel so much? Why didn't the people even dare to touch it?"

The next page is written on March 2 1987. It is written half a year after the previous page,

"Last night I recieved a phone call from M in Paris. He called to let me know he was taking a trip to Cairo. He said that he had witnessed a strange event that he still can't believe really happened. He admitted that he saw a strange "world" and at the time he began to weep.

The stone is really fantastic. Even separated in a display case behind a thick sheet of glass it still possesses a magical power. If we simply followed the method described on the flagstone, then during the autumn lunar cycle we could ascertain whether or not it really works. If it works would it be possible to examine unknown worlds, and other dimensions?

I certainly did not believe in existence of spiritual realms and other dimensions before. That thing could quite possibly be part of an earlier civilizations higher technology left behind, that is way beyond our comprehension. Maybe it is like our video cameras, recording the civilization as it was then. If this were the case then its value would be impossible to estimate.

But why does it correspond to the lunar cycle? Does it draw some kind of energy during this time? Although science has never established a reasonable explanation for the "full moon phenomenon", statistics has firmly demonstrated that during the full moon phase traffic accidents increase greatly. Psychologists have also observed that during the full moon phase the human mood is generally more unstable. In fairy tales and myths the werewolf would change form only during the full moon. Poets from our country would see the moon and burst forth with many sad verses, their minds in a deep place feeling a strength that others didn't understand. Maybe 'that thing' can use this different power eminating during a full moon.

It is important to find the answer. In order to find the solution it must be tested thoroughly. I am confident that M will be able to research it extensively, but he said he requires the help of a good friend from Japan, who is from the Bunya Okono family. He is going to have to bring him over secretly. Luckily he has many connections in high places that can help."

Ling Duyu was stunned and paused for a minute. It was difficult for him to make his brain associate the Bunya Okono family with an actual person. He was simply unable to accept that written within a master archaeologist's diary the name of an internationally active yakuza family could appear. How could he be associated with the Bunya Okono?

The Bunya Okono family is a yakuza society that began in Japan after World War II. They had a spectacular rise to power in the underworld. Reportedly these people cannot be compared to common yakuza but operate according to righteous principles and rules. They not use wanton slaughter and violence to intimidate, and they do not engage in the drug trade or any other crimes against humanity.

Because of their cunning and ability to be successful in all aspects of social interaction, like helping the needy and giving to charities, they are able to operate on two fronts. They have a legitimate face that is legal and accepted, but they also have the underworld side.

Ling Duyu received very reliable information about Bunya Okono. They secretly control one of Japan's major political parties. If Professor Xie's friend "M" is truly part of the Bunya Okono family, then his true identiy would not be the same as what Professor Xie thought. This whole affair has become extremely complicated.
    --=={Grundle}==--

And so the mystery becomes more deeper...

As for the spinning top, I have really no idea.... Maybe a phys person can help us (if one ever reads this post)

THis almost sounds like sliders (as in you go to alternative dimensions or time recordings in this case).

By the way, has this ever been made into tv ?

It is possible it was made into a movie...or one of the Ling Duyu books. I remember a Jet Li movie where the main character used acupuncture as part of his Wuxia. Ling Duyu, also uses acupuncture so it is quite possible, but I haven't done the research to find out.
    --=={Grundle}==--

The registry still needs an expert to examine it more completely Ling Duyu thought to himself as he got up. Taking the registry through the hallway and up a revolving staircase he moved South through his house into a studio. Ling Duyu's study was about 600 square feet with Chinese calligraphy and paintings hung on the walls. There were also bookshelves all full of books.

He always loved to surround himself with a vast selection of books. He was proud of his collection ranging from literary history to the most state of the art scientific and technical books. Interested in every possible subject, through books he was able to contact the great minds of the world which allowed him to unceasingly increase his knowlege.

A large majority of the books on his bookshelf were devoted to linguistics. He always believed that the only true way to study other cultures is to study the language that the culture speaks. Language is the mark of that culture's experiences, for example the eskimo people have more than a dozen adjectives for the word snow. This reflects on the life experiences of the eskimo people who live in a world of ice and snow. Only through understanding their language could someone comprehend their culture and their way of life. This is why Ling Duyu devoted so much time to studying each language. It also gave him a convenient reason to extensively travel the world.

In the center of the studio was a large desk. Near the desk a computer sat as Ling Duyu's most effective research assistant. On the wall opposite of the desk hung a vividly colored portrait of a person. The eyes flashed within the painting as the appearance of a dignified Lama was depicted. Below the portrait there appeared a verse written in Tibetan.

Ling Duyu stared at the portrait respectfully. Slowly he muttered a ritualistic chant, "Father! I am good." He then sat down in the chair facing the computer and turned it on. The computer screen blinked to life and began to run through its self-checking procedures. Ling Duyu started typing on the keyboard. This equipment allowed him to record his thoughts in a file. He would then transfer it via the Internet to a secret data warehouse located in America. Using a password known only to him and a small group of people, he was able to access his information from any location in the world as long as he had the basic equipment. This was by far the most secure method of archiving his information.

The computer stopped at a login screen. Ling Duyu quickly typed several passwords and the screen turned black with the following display,

"[instruction]# "

Ling Duyu opened the diary to the first page and set it on the scanner. The scanner copied the physical page temporarily into the machine's memory, and then sent the information on to the secret data archive. He continuously worked until two o'clock in the morning. The work was almost complete when Ling Duyu began to curse vehemently. Unexpectedly the final two pages of the diary were torn by the scanner. These two pages had the most crucial information written on them.

Ling Duyu closed his eyes and began to exhale slowly through his nostrils. He began to take slow and steady breaths following a strange rhythm. He followed this routine every day before going to sleep. Ever since he was taught this ritual he never deviated from its daily practice. Within several minutes his spirit reached a calm state, he had entered a void full of empty calmness. His breath continued in a powerful yet slender rhythm slowly diminishing until it appeared to be one single continuous breath. Suddenly he stopped breathing completely from his nose and switched to "foetal breathing" proceeding from the mouth as he entered into the spiritual level of his meditation.

In some secret Tibetan monastic scripture there is a so-called breath type mentioned, "There exists a breath from the heart, not from the rest". The character 'xi' ,meaning rest, is composed of 'zi', which means self, is the top component, and underneath 'xin', which is heart. This is because one must abandon the worldy desires of the heart in order to enter into the spiritual meditation. As a result the "foetal breath" is an important step in the process of freeing one's hearts from earthly desires. Ling Duyu achieved a very high level in this practice. Quickly his body was loose with the sensation of tingling everywhere. Some popping noises could be heard as his chi began to flow freely. He experiened a hightened clarity in his awareness.

After twenty five minutes, a feeling of danger approaching suddenly rushed forth into Ling Duyu's spiritual sense. This ability psychologist have labelled as "Forest awareness". A common example of this phenomenon is the behavior of wild animals right before an earthquake. They tend to behave unusually. This is because they are attuned to the rhythm of nature and when there is a small variation in the natural rhythm it does not escape their senses resulting in their restlessnes.

Ling Duyu possessed this awareness not only on a physical level, but also on a spiritual level. The great Lama's called this spiritual sense "Universal Consciousness" which is obtained on surpassing the common consciousness people experience every day. The average person can only reach this state if they are dreaming. In this spiritual state many experience strange and wonderful dreams that can be interpreted as omens. In Ling Duyu's world of rigorously training the heart and mind awareness, being without this sense would be like a normal person missing the sense of touch.
    --=={Grundle}==--

Holy moly! Isn't this currently set in a Earth like world. Since when did there get to be powerful martial arts masters? On a side note, I would just love to learn this meditation. Cant wait for a confrontation, and to know what is being confronted..

As far as I know this is set in our modern time. The otherworldliness comes from the diary/registry that the dead Doctor wrote. I agree with you, I can't wait for a confrontation to happen either
    --=={Grundle}==--

Quote Originally Posted by Grundle
    It is possible it was made into a movie...or one of the Ling Duyu books. I remember a Jet Li movie where the main character used acupuncture as part of his Wuxia. Ling Duyu, also uses acupuncture so it is quite possible, but I haven't done the research to find out.
    The movie sounds like Kiss of the Dragon which is a Luc Besson film mostly about a double crossing french guy (sorry about the very minor spoiler there..) So not a wuxia novel then. It would be interesting to find there's wuxia being written by English speaking authors - does anyone know of any examples and are they as good as the asian written ones?

The closest thing I can think of in English that is like Wuxia are the "White Ninja" series that Eric Van Lustbader wrote in the 80's. I have pretty much all of his books and I think that they are great. He focuses on mostly Japanese martial arts in modern times, but it is kind of cool how he delves in to some mysticism. There was another book written called "Last of the Zinja" also taking place in Japan, but there is a segment in China as well where they fight the mongols. I forget who wrote it, but I know that it is now out of print. It is a shame, because it is a great book.

There have also been numerous translations of Wuxia directly to English as well. Unfortunately they have not been very popular. Xiao Xiyi Lang was recently translated, but it is already out of print. There are also several Jin Yong translations floating about. If you enjoy a more classical work of literature there is Outlaws of the Marsh which is a fantastic work.

Another excellent book that has been translated into English is called "Musashi" written by Yoshikawa. It narrates a fictional account of the life of Japan's greatest swordsman. I could not put it down once I began reading it. It is one of the best books I have ever read.

Those are currently the only books I can think of in English that would have a Wuxia feel to them. I am sure there are more out there, but I haven't run accross them yet.

I think that this book will contain more Wuxia elements, even though it is set in modern times. I am really interested to see how things develop Since it is not set in the ancient times we can't say that it is a classical wuxia piece, but I think it will surprise you.
    Last edited by Grundle; 08-25-06 at 11:48 AM.
    --=={Grundle}==--

short post because its the rest of chapter 1
    ----------------

Although in the material world there does not appear to be an apparent differences or changes Ling Duyu has felt a dangerous presence.

Ling Duyu opened his eyes, as he continued to breathe through his nostrils he stopped mid-breath. His breathing suddenly changed from the full body foetal breath to his regular respiration through the nose.

Ling Duyu looked at the portrait on the opposite wall and thought, "Father, has something terrible happened?" He has never met Lama Ling Da portrayed in the painting. He was the leader of Tibet's most mysterious secret religion "Shang Mi Sect", the 36th generation incarnation of the Living Buddha. Because he was born in the ninth month of Lama Ling Da's journey to the joyful boundaries of death, he was miraculously born without a father. In Lama Ling Da's 98th year of life, the venerable, holy living Buddha made something marvelous happen to Ling Duyu's mother. Ling Yahuai was a Chinese woman from America who came to pay her respects to him. Within her he placed his child and three days later Lama Ling Da died in a sitting posture. After he entered nirvana Ling Yahuai gave birth and named her child with her own family name - Ling Duyu. She also obeyed the instructions that Lama Ling Da had given her. He ordered her to leave her son in Tibet to receive their strict teachings and lead a pious life until he was 15. He would then be able to return to see her for the first time in America and receive a Western education.

This is Ling Duyu's strange family background.

Outside the house the sound of a car can be heard. Ling Duyu's house is located at the end of a private drive. Ninety nine percent of cars that can be heard this close end up at his house.

Ling Duyu switched off the computer. He grabbed Professor Xie's journal and placed it in the desk drawer. As he walked back downstairs the doorbell rang.

End of Chapter 1
    --=={Grundle}==--