Thread: Megaupload and Megavideo shut down by FBI

Default Megaupload and Megavideo shut down by FBI

Megaupload (and Megavideo) shut down by the Feds

Beloved file-sharing website Megaupload has been shut down by the FBI. That also means that Megaupload’s sister website — the decidedly more illegal (but equally beloved) Megavideo, which I certainly never visited personally — has also been shut down. According to a Bureau press release, seven individuals have been officially charged with robbing from the rich to give to the poor (and also to the young rich who don’t want to spend their allowance on new episodes of Parks & Recreation). The press release alleges that Megaupload was a criminal enterprise run by a man variously named Kim Dotcom, Kim Schmitz, and Kim Tim Jim Vestor, along with six other European dudes with exceedingly European names like Sven and Andrus and Bram. (The FBI refers to the enterprise as “The Mega Conspiracy,” which is probably already the title of Dan Brown’s next bad novel.)Megaupload is one of the largest file-sharing websites on the Internet. The fact that the site is being shut down so soon after this week’s SOPA/PIPA controversy could indicate that 2012 will be the year that the U.S. federal government really begins to crack down on illegal file streaming. “The estimated harm caused by the conspiracy’s criminal conduct to copyright holders is well in excess of $500 million,” said the FBI. “The conspirators allegedly earned more than $175 million in illegal profits through advertising revenue and selling premium memberships.” I think we can all agree that it’s a good thing that Megaupload is gone, because now no one will ever illegally watch TV shows online ever again.
    Link
    http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/01/19/me...shut-down-fbi/

I cannot watch free TVB serial anymore on megavideo ,do you think will China shootdown youku, todou etc in future for watching free mainland serial ?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! My life is over...

Quote Originally Posted by galvatron View Post
    [B]I cannot watch free TVB serial anymore on megavideo ,do you think will China shootdown youku, todou etc in future for watching free mainland serial ?[/FONT][/LEFT]
    I think tudou has bought the rights to air their series legally. At least, they did so for TVB series. Don't know about mainland series.
    Last edited by kidd; 01-20-12 at 10:28 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

WHAT?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Truly, this is sad news.
    I like me.

and i just took a week off from work...I was going to download all the things i've been saving...

How am I going to finish watching BBXH now...
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I think tudou has buy the rights to air their series legally. At least, they did so for TVB series. Don't know about mainland series.
    This is correct, from what I have read into lately on copyrights and such, Tudou has full rights to air all asian series be they mainland or TVB, or ATV, or anything, Youku as well I think, have not read much into that angle yet. If thise turns out to not be the case, well, I guess I'll have to rob a bank to buy some TV shows. (Kidding!)
    Local Li Bingbing/Shui Ling addict
    Out of my mind, back in several years or until the Wife says I can, whichever comes first
    Itsh A Sthpork Sthupid!! ~ Daffy Duck, as quoted by my sister

Are there regional restrictions for Chinese and TVB dramas on tudou though? If not, lol, I love China.

Not that I know of, I can access the site freely from here in Miami FL, USA just fine on either Tudou or Youku, very quickly too if I'm plugged right into the web, otherwise on wireless it takes a bit of time for each episode of a given series to properly load
    Local Li Bingbing/Shui Ling addict
    Out of my mind, back in several years or until the Wife says I can, whichever comes first
    Itsh A Sthpork Sthupid!! ~ Daffy Duck, as quoted by my sister

Read about this days ago and can't say that I'm surprised. Of course, this doesn't mean I am not mourning the lost of this awesome hosting site that had given me access to so many tv series over the years. Living in the US, it is difficult to get access to Chinese shows that are dubbed and/or subtitled.

I also heard about this also throughout the entire the web and other forum sites dealing with this unfortunate circumstance. This is like a global funeral for everyone,as for US tv shows the positive impact due to online downloading has driving most of the copyrighted dvd's,cd's,etc. prices pretty low. I am beginning to slowly buying them used either online or stores. The tv series I've managed to get completed series: Angel,Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles S1/S2,Stargate Atlantis S1-5,Dark Angel S1-S2,Charmed S1-S8,part of Heroes collection,etc. Therefore,I am alittle busy going through these completed sets and don't go on spcnet all that often.

Now a days,the stores are having a difficult time trying to get rid of any regular Dvd tv series complete sets,as opposed to Blu-ray,which is very expensive. I do find some stores will give either 60% off[Thanksgiving-Christmas season],even have a buy 1, get 2nd 50%off special or buy 3 used mixed and match,get 4th free. As for used copyrighted dvd movies and I do find an entire mountain load of them for between $3-4 a piece or buy 10 got $20.

The whole point of the feds shutting down the file sharing websites is in hoping you will at least buy some of the copyrighted products. Eventually, there will be other new file-sharing websites will take megaupload place but who knows when that's going to be shutdown?I had bought one season for like $10 brand new or used,which isn't bad considering the fact originally it was like $40-50. It does goes to show how much illegal downloads does driven the price to the ground. Although,I do see some of tv shows get charged for outrageous prices that's why you can wait. The listed series I'd posted here took some time in getting,but I waited over 15yrs,eventually the price will drop. It is nice to see a reflection of those old movies or tv shows I wished could of owned long time ago and can rewatch it;which some are considered rarer than others.

I neither wanted to turn into a rant about you should buy copyrighted material or not. It's your freedom of choice,if you want to or not. Some of them are pretty cheap considering the fact many of them are copyrighted;hey it's not bad to get a copyrighted movie for $4,as opposed a bootleg for $5. Does it add up to alot of money in the end buying copyright material? This is a very good question. It comes to choice and preferences buy on what you can afford or neither. Then the cost would be alittle cheaper,in the long-run. Another idea is swapping with someone: Got a movie,tv show, cd, book, etc. you don't want,then swapped with that person. I would say the estimated savings would be like $500 bucks depending how well you planned it out and alot of time spent on doing price comparision.

I do miss megavideo it helps me preview the movie first to see,if its worth getting the tv show,movie or not.
    Last edited by mind_wander; 01-29-12 at 09:15 AM.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.