View Poll Results: What do you think of the quality of service at wuxia inns/restaurants?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's pretty good...comparable to a first-class establishment today.

4 16.67%
  • It's OK, I guess. Nothing to write home about.

18 75.00%
  • The service is crap. There aren't even any mints on the pillow.

2 8.33%

Thread: Quality of service that wuxia characters get at inns and restaurants?

Default Quality of service that wuxia characters get at inns and restaurants?

Wuxia characters typically visit inns and restaurants frequently during their travels. Rare is the wuxia story wherein there isn't at least one restaurant and/or inn scene.

What do you think of the quality of service at these facilities? Do you think in general, the wuxia characters get good service at these places, or is the service lousy?

from the novels I've read, it usually depends on how much they've paid and thus how much the innkeeper has profited from the character in the past. If someone has spent handsomely in that establishment in the past, they're more likely to get better service. I can think of 2 exceptions to this. After Huang Rong had co-opted Li Mochou into her search for Guo Xiang/Jade Maiden manual, she wanted the innkeeper to send a letter to Guo Jing, but he was to grateful to Guo Jing's services to accept payment. Also, when the three Guo children stayed at Fenglingdu, the innkeeper wouldn't turf anyone out of their rooms despite Guo Fu's offer to pay over the odds, and they had to stay in the communal room instead.

i think that the SERVICE is usually excellent. The waiters and other employees in inns are usually very respectful and enthusiastic.

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    i think that the SERVICE is usually excellent. The waiters and other employees in inns are usually very respectful and enthusiastic.
    not to mention they are also oddly very "knowledgeable"

The service is as good or better than your typical restaurant today, but it's not up to the first-class/five star service.

There's not much to complain about service-wise, but unless you're someone special, your service will be pretty 'normal'.

at least those inn serves freshly cooked Chinese food rather than frozen meat + MSG served for buffets
    在下日月神教陸教主是也

Quote Originally Posted by Loke-Gao-Zhu View Post
    at least those inn serves freshly cooked Chinese food rather than frozen meat + MSG served for buffets
    The service is decently good... I would satisfy with it...
    And yes, the food is good, much better than the one we get in average restaurant....

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    The service is decently good... I would satisfy with it...
    And yes, the food is good, much better than the one we get in average restaurant....
    Sure it might taste good, but your immune system would collapse upon it entering your digestive system. Who knows what they did (or didn't) back then

I have the impression that wuxia fighters usually leave a huge tip, so they should be well served.

Sure it might taste good, but your immune system would collapse upon it entering your digestive system. Who knows what they did (or didn't) back then
    Back then everything is organic so you don't have to worry much... If you order chicken, then they kill the live chicken and cook it for you.... Everything is fresh and way healthier than what you eat now a day...
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 06-07-08 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Back then everything is organic so you don't have to worry much... If you order chicken, then they kill the live chicken and cook it for you.... Everything is fresh and way healthier than what you eat now a day...
    Ummm . . . . one of the reasons that people back then only lived to be about 30 is because of primitive hygienic practices.

Indonesia, where people will trap you in a Big Dipper formation if you steal a chicken...

Quote Originally Posted by Wellesley View Post
    I have the impression that wuxia fighters usually leave a huge tip, so they should be well served.
    Except for people like Hong Qigong, that is.

But sometimes, even if the person wouldn't pay, and not a very respectable person, they still get the best of treatments. The Han people hated Jin, but if the Wanyan family was around, would any ordinary innkeeper dare to give them crap?
    It was often said, "Among horses, Chi Tu (Red Hare). Among retards, Lu Bu."

Vice-President of Wuji Haters Club!

Originator of "Wuv Kuddly Hamsty" activity.

I think it's very unlikely. The Wanyan are the kind that are the most likely to leave a generous tip, so I think the humble establishment would serve their finest dishes and offer their best attention to curry their favor.

I agree with Wellesley that usually intense Nationalism doesn't pay the bills and unless you constantly have wulin heroes wandering in.

I think this goes back to these questions:

1. Where do the traveling wuxia people get their money?

2. How do these people recognize each other?

I can't decide what I think about the quality of service, but just lately I've noticed that wulin characters never get to finish their meals! They always end up getting attacked during a meal, or having to run off to rescue somebody. :lol:
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Ummm . . . . one of the reasons that people back then only lived to be about 30 is because of primitive hygienic practices.
    Not really, for ancient China, the main problem is war. During peaceful times, 50, 60 or even 70 are common.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...88&ref=tn_tnmn
    This year, August 25th~26th
    1st Singapore Ancient Chinese Culture Camp, pls join if you are in Singapore. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    I agree with Wellesley that usually intense Nationalism doesn't pay the bills and unless you constantly have wulin heroes wandering in.

I think this goes back to these questions:

1. Where do the traveling wuxia people get their money?

2. How do these people recognize each other?
    1. They steal it. All of that Robin Hood stuff: take from the rich, give to the poor (conveniently adding themselves to the latter). Also many can earn money at biao ju (English would be hired-guard embassy, I believe?)

2. Well... they are probably carrying a weapon of some sort...? That would sort of be a giveaway.
    Or otherwise look extremely fit. And there are other signs as well, when a person has reached a high level of internal energy or practices a certain style. In Lu Ding Ji there was that Jin Ding Men, where an expert would lose his hair after reaching a high standard of proficiency, wasn't there.
    欲取鸣琴弹,恨无知音赏。~孟浩然

Actually, a lot XiaKe during Song and Ming dynasty are not Robin Hoods, but rich plp looking for more excitement.
    There are quite a few land lords in the WuLin during those days.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...88&ref=tn_tnmn
    This year, August 25th~26th
    1st Singapore Ancient Chinese Culture Camp, pls join if you are in Singapore. ^^