View Poll Results: ?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Qiu Chuji vs 7 Freaks at Zuixian Lou

0 0%
  • Huang Yaoshi's debute at Lu Chengfeng's manor

1 7.69%
  • Peach Blossom Island: Hong Qigong vs Ouyang Feng, Huang Yaoshi tests Ouyang Ke and Guo Jing

2 15.38%
  • Ox Village: Mei Chaofeng vs QZ7, Huang Yaoshi vs QZ7 part 1

0 0%
  • Beggar's Union meeting: Guo Jing vs Qiu Qianren

0 0%
  • HYS vs QZ7 part 2: plus GJ and KZE

6 46.15%
  • Huashan: HYS vs OYF vs H7Q vs GJ

4 30.77%

Thread: What is your favorite grandeur fight scene from LOCH?

Default What is your favorite grandeur fight scene from LOCH?

忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

LOCH only features large, epic fights between armies...not so much among wulin people. In terms of large-scale wulin fights, LOCH underserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    LOCH only features large, epic fights between armies...not so much among wulin people. In terms of large-scale wulin fights, LOCH underserves.
    True, LOCH's wulin as presented in the novel was highly confined.

I enjoyed the fight with Guo Jing, Ke Zhener, the Quanzhen 6 and Yin Zhiping vs Huang Yaoshi at the Drunken Fairy House. The way Huang Yaoshi slowly nullified the Seven North Polar Stars formation (which made the loss of Tan Chuduan irrelevant) and the way Guo Jing stole Polaris from Huang, and kept him hemmed in between the formation and the Polaris, together with all the emotions and drama going on beneath just made it compelling.

I enjoyed all fight scenes with Huang Yaoshi in them, but my favorite was the HYS vs QZ7 part 2: plus GJ and KZE

LOCH had many great fight scenes, but aside from the military confrontations, LOCH fights were *small* in scale compared to those of other Jin Yong stories. There weren't too many (wulin/non-military) fights in LOCH that involved more than a dozen people at a time. In LOCH, twelve pugilists would constitute a "big" fight. In DGSD, SPW, and other works, big fights numbered into multiple dozens of combatants.

Wow, I didn't know many ppl liked HYS vs QZ7 part 2. That may be my favorite too. It isn't the most major fight scene, but HYS just makes it better somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Wow, I didn't know many ppl liked HYS vs QZ7 part 2. That may be my favorite too. It isn't the most major fight scene, but HYS just makes it better somehow.
    It was a great fight scene, and definitely one of the more fun and dramatic ones in LOCH.

Among the Greats, East Heretic Wong Yerk See was the only one who always looked good (martial arts-wise) throughout LOCH. North Beggar Hung 7 Gung spent more than half his time in the story seriously wounded and incapacitated. West Poison Au Yeung Fung, for all his prowess, fell too easily into Wong Yung's traps too many times to appear invincible. South Emperor 1 Deng didn't have any combat scenes in LOCH, and he couldn't seem to use his 1 Yeung Finger Technique without seriously screwing up his health and ability to use martial arts for months or years at a time.

All in all, it seemed that only Wong Yerk See lived up to the billing of "Great" throughout his LOCH appearances.

Among the Greats, East Heretic Wong Yerk See was the only one who always looked good (martial arts-wise) throughout LOCH.
    Yeah, he did look good most of the time. Actually, I love the scene when he first appeared. Totally badass. The one time he didn't look good was when he wasn't prepared for OYF's unconventional fighting style at the end of LOCH. OYF almost bit Huang's finger off.

Yeah, he did look good most of the time. Actually, I love the scene when he first appeared. Totally badass. The one time he didn't look good was when he wasn't prepared for OYF's unconventional fighting style at the end of LOCH. OYF almost bit Huang's finger off.
    I can overlook that one because Au Yeung Fung's crazed fighting "technique" (if you could call it that) would have caught anybody off guard.

Probably a more "embarrassing" moment for Wong Yerk See was when Yau Chui Gei managed to land a whisk on him. Although Yau wasn't able to inflict any damage, it's embarrassing for a Great to allow someone at Yau's level to even succeed in touching him.

I can overlook that one because Au Yeung Fung's crazed fighting "technique" (if you could call it that) would have caught anybody off guard.
    It's understandable, but it's still a dent on Huang's record.

Probably a more "embarrassing" moment for Wong Yerk See was when Yau Chui Gei managed to land a whisk on him. Although Yau wasn't able to inflict any damage, it's embarrassing for a Great to allow someone at Yau's level to even succeed in touching him.
    Yeah, that one is embarrassing. But it doesn't bother me as much. Probably b/c I always think of it as more of a showcase for Qiu.

Funny how we each process things differently

West Poison Au Yeung Fung, for all his prowess, fell too easily into Wong Yung's traps too many times to appear invincible.
    You seem to be forgetting the time when Huang Yaoshi fell for Zhou Botong's trap on Peach Blossom island and ended up with his feet covered in faeces (right in front of West poison and North beggar to boot!). Immediately afterwards, he fell for yet another trap again, this time getting covered from head to toe in urine. That was probably one of the worst humiliations to occur to anyone in Jinyong's novels!

The results might be a little skewed considering the fact that ONLY 5 people voted on this thread as of now. That does not and cannot represent the majority vote. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Absolutely loved that scene where he debuts. Truly great. Greatest in my opinion. He is my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    You seem to be forgetting the time when Huang Yaoshi fell for Zhou Botong's trap on Peach Blossom island and ended up with his feet covered in faeces (right in front of West poison and North beggar to boot!). Immediately afterwards, he fell for yet another trap again, this time getting covered from head to toe in urine. That was probably one of the worst humiliations to occur to anyone in Jinyong's novels!
    Well, that is embarrassing, but at least he was being embarrassed by another Greats-level fighter. That's tolerable compared to getting embarrassed by someone whose martial arts skills are several orders lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    Oh yeah, how can I forget that one! Lao Wantong got him good that time.

The HYS and QZ7 fight was quite amazing.

It was good to see something (other than another Great) put up a good fight against HYS.

On a separate note, I've always thought that people downplayed QCJ's fighting ability. I've always had the impression that although hot-headed, QCJ was a good martial artist and a decent "Xia". He is just a bit rash and needs to round out the edges in his personality before becoming a better taoist.

According to history and also part of LOCH-- it was QCJ that visited Genghis to convince him to rethink invading China. Why would you send QCJ instead of another QZ taoist? It's actually because I think he was best suited for the job. You need someone who is supposed to be philosophical, yet has a little bit of that "I'm not perfect yet and thus can relate to you" kind of aura.