Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you talk on the phone any more?

Default Do you talk on the phone any more?

In the last few years, a lot of my friends born after 1980 have switched from talking on the phone to texting, IM, and Facebook as the preferred method of communication. Nowadays I rarely call any friends. We're always connected on Facebook and I know what's going on in their life. As for the current smartphones, they really should be called "phones" any more, since that's the feature people use the least nowadays. Instead they should be called mini-computers.

Sure, everybody still talks on the phone once in a while to call the plumber, dentist, or credit card company. But other than that, do you still talk on the phone with friends and family?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Of course I still use the phone to communicate with close family members and friends. For everyone else, it's usually FB or texting.

Yes, I still do. With close friends or loved ones, I prefer talking over the phone with them. The amount of text cannot express the emotions and effectively convey the message that I wish to tell.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Yes, I still need to use the mobile phone to talk to my 80+ mum.

I do, but I prefer not to. I never liked using the phone to talk to people.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Yes, I still talk on the phone with family and friends. I prefer to talk on the phone than sending sms.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I'm one of those old fashioned people who likes to type a sentence the correct way. It's hard with cell phone keyboards. Luckily, my company gave me an iPad for work, and I found an app that lets you send SMS with Google Voice for free. So now my iPad has become my preferred way of texting. Although I'm not a fan of the iPad keyboard, it is still an improvement over a phone-size keyboard.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I still do. These days I barely get any call.

I only talk on the phone with people that I cannot text i.e. MoM. Dad texts now. Texting and email are my preferred methods of communication.

Talking on the phone actually seems a bit archaic. haha I mean that in a fond way. Most couples I know just Skype on their iPhone!
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    I only talk on the phone with people that I cannot text i.e. MoM. Dad texts now. Texting and email are my preferred methods of communication.

Talking on the phone actually seems a bit archaic. haha I mean that in a fond way. Most couples I know just Skype on their iPhone!
    I don't text and I don't see you calling me.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I don't text and I don't see you calling me.
    LOL, maybe we should skype, my dearest. haha
    I like me.

How about, "Do you talk on a phone connected by a CORD that is embedded to a jack in the wall, ensuring that while you're using the phone, you can't walk too far away from the wall?"

You young whippersnappers ought to try that out sometime...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/12/30/129066768600666105.jpg')

You *know* you're getting old when you start sympathizing with grumpy old men and understand where the grump comes from...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    How about, "Do you talk on a phone connected by a CORD that is embedded to a jack in the wall, ensuring that while you're using the phone, you can't walk too far away from the wall?"
    I think it is good to have a corded landline phone even just for emergency (natural disaster) purpose. Plus, it provides a greater measure of call privacy.

Depends. If it's just a notification or mass message that I don't need to reply to, I sms or email. e.g. "bbq my house midday sat. come if you want"
    But otherwise it's call. If you need more than a message from each side, that's worth a call in my book. Saves time and easier to communicate. Only other time I wouldn't call is if it's not convenient. e.g. late at night and people probably sleeping or if i'm in a meeting

lmao, the only person i talk to on the phone nowadays is my boyfriend and even then, it's not much. other than that, i text EVERYONE, beside family.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

With everyone having different sleep hours and life schedules, I just fb or text and wait for their reply. Rarely make phone calls anymore.

I still use it cause I dont usually rely on text messages.

I still do because I need it for my work and when I want to contact my friends and family. My use of calls lessened drastically because of Skype but I still use it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    With everyone having different sleep hours and life schedules, I just fb or text and wait for their reply. Rarely make phone calls anymore.
    I FB and text a lot too. The only time I make phone calls are to my clients, family, and costumer services.
    Sim neej aws...

read somewhere that the major way to communicate now is by text messaging...