Thread: Sound of the Desert 《风中奇缘》 - Hu Ge, Liu Shi Shi, Eddie Peng

FYI. Liu shi shi is the queen of crying! She can cry a whole river within seconds - thats talent!
    I think different people have different perspective on how one should express his/her emotion(s). Personally, I think LSS did a fantastic job in expressing those emotions, i.e. her serious face when in training, angry face when EP was messing with her ( in trying to cheer her up), and etc. I like how she interprets those feeling and carries it out in her acting. She doesn't act over the top like other actor/actresses do. t thought LSS can only play mellow role, but this drama proves otherwise.

I wish I was XY, so i can be with WWJ! WWJ has to be EP though!

I am also very impressed with HG. How can you act the entire drama without ever showing that you have braces?! I find it fascinating lol
    Last edited by Choozchooz; 11-08-14 at 03:14 AM.

Yeah, LSS is one of my fav C actress. She doesn't overdo her expressions. She can play mellow or mischievous without trying to act cute. Her character transition is really smooth.

I think the casts are perfect with LSS, Eddie, and HuGe. I don't think I would watch this series if it was with Yang Mi or anyone else--> she tries too hard to be cute and I can not take her seriously; agree that her actings are blah. I love the chemistry b/w LSS and EP.

@ RabbitLover - I agree with you that LSS saw JY as a father figure and everything you said. I don't think she really knew what love is until WJ came along. JY is too mature for her personality and WJ slowly conquer heart heart bits by bits.

I watched this on youtube, fast forward through most of the front part, it's fine but doesn't have the same impact as BBJX ... don't really like that dynasty and desert setting.

I agree!! I think BBJX has greater appeals because the story centers around the famous Kangxi period (and maybe infamous 4th prince ) and all the in-palace schemes that it comes w/. However, I prefer SOTD over BBJX! Besides the first few episodes, BBJX only makes your heart feel heavy and then worst! I mean I agree, there is no true happiness from the Palace; but BBJX is kind of too much for my heart to handle!
    On the other hand, in SODT, you can see this positive slope of happiness. SOTD is a true romance story through the view of a girl so it only appeals to day-dreaming viewers (mainly girls!!). The plot contains literally 1% action?! Lol

interesting note from Wikipedia: The general did turn down marriage offer in those exact words! OMG he's such a great man! There must b an XY!!! LOL

I'm rewatching from ep6 onwards. I love WWJ....he's so playful and make XY happy. I feel the both of them more suitable to each other. Jiu Ye is also nice man and caring to XY...but he make a wrong moves at the beginning...

I admire WWJ...he's really confident and fight hard for his loves one. Always giving his best care and being so loving and warm. Ahhh...I wonder how can a woman won't like man like him? Hahahaha swoon....

Quote Originally Posted by Choozchooz View Post
    I am also very impressed with HG. How can you act the entire drama without ever showing that you have braces?! I find it fascinating lol
    Why in the world did he need braces???... At that age, one should not have braces, it thend to shift the teeth if you don't wear a retainer... The best age to have braces is before 20yrs old... That way the teeth don't shift...

Well, it looks like I'm going to have to bow out of this thread or keep my opinions to myself with all the LSS support/fans.

With that said, BBJX was a more profound story line than SOTD - just judging by all the different kind of relationships that had to be juggled in relation to politics.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    Well, it looks like I'm going to have to bow out of this thread or keep my opinions to myself with all the LSS support/fans.

With that said, BBJX was a more profound story line than SOTD - just judging by all the different kind of relationships that had to be juggled in relation to politics.
    Hehe don't be silly, good or bad comments are always welcome, since it makes the thread more lively, not everyone will agree with that we like or dislike! All in good fun! BBJX is more complex as SOTD is really purely romance with a hint of history, well the original story at least. But I take that people are watching it because it is simply as love story between the three characters. I like how BBJX was filmed it was a beautiful series, but I was not a fan of the three lead a characters as much as I am for SOTD.
    Romance wise SOTD is filled with more happiness this is probably why most people enjoy it (Probably 98% are woman lol) Anyhoot good or bad comments about the series is all good.

Quote Originally Posted by IloveMimiLo View Post
    Hehe don't be silly, good or bad comments are always welcome, since it makes the thread more lively, not everyone will agree with that we like or dislike! All in good fun! BBJX is more complex as SOTD is really purely romance with a hint of history, well the original story at least. But I take that people are watching it because it is simply as love story between the three characters. I like how BBJX was filmed it was a beautiful series, but I was not a fan of the three lead a characters as much as I am for SOTD.
    Romance wise SOTD is filled with more happiness this is probably why most people enjoy it (Probably 98% are woman lol) Anyhoot good or bad comments about the series is all good.

Like IloveMimiLo stated, I prefer SOTD purely because of its non-complicated romance storyline. I hope i don't offend anyone hea with my opinions. However, I do like to see other ppl point of view because it may (or not) refine my views of things as well.

Common Tuesday!!!!!

i think lss is doing a decent job. not a standout character or performance. similar to bbjx, the boys outperformed her.

and now Xiao yue is making me angry. ROFL.

Thanks Ilovemimilo for the link...I read article still find it "strange" that Chinese still dub voices even if the characters are all Chinese mandarin speakers (I do understand the difference in Taiwan actors/ress and mainland accents that can result in needing to dub voices)...doesn't other production companies like tvb still face the same issues like loud sound in the back..sometimes tvb artists don't have "perfect" Cantonese accents..etc..but the movies, even martial arts, are not dubbed......it actually amazes me for tvb series how they get rid of those background noises instead of dubbing the whole series...I would think its more costly to dub than not...just curious..

but either case..the article said HuGe dubs back most of his series...so in this series is it his original voice? His costumes and everything seems so mature..how old is he really?

in general is hu ge and liushishi very popular in china -- like kind of how Charmaine sheh and Raymond lam is popular in hong kong-- I am not familiar much with Chinese actors/actresses....

mainland china does a lot of martial art series and the last few years tvb has lacked in this area very much...that I have had to go watch mainland Chinese series...this sound of desert is a good one...

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitlover View Post
    Thanks Ilovemimilo for the link...I read article still find it "strange" that Chinese still dub voices even if the characters are all Chinese mandarin speakers (I do understand the difference in Taiwan actors/ress and mainland accents that can result in needing to dub voices)...doesn't other production companies like tvb still face the same issues like loud sound in the back..sometimes tvb artists don't have "perfect" Cantonese accents..etc..but the movies, even martial arts, are not dubbed......it actually amazes me for tvb series how they get rid of those background noises instead of dubbing the whole series...I would think its more costly to dub than not...just curious..

but either case..the article said HuGe dubs back most of his series...so in this series is it his original voice? His costumes and everything seems so mature..how old is he really?

in general is hu ge and liushishi very popular in china -- like kind of how Charmaine sheh and Raymond lam is popular in hong kong-- I am not familiar much with Chinese actors/actresses....

mainland china does a lot of martial art series and the last few years tvb has lacked in this area very much...that I have had to go watch mainland Chinese series...this sound of desert is a good one...
    Yes It still amazes me how tVB can get all those background distraction out of their series, the artist also use their own voice, but they are mainland actors they are usually dubbed , of course they are speaking in mandarin. There so many dialect in China, I think this is to keep the consistency so everyone can enjoy, it also save them time to keep reshooting since time is money in China, I read in an interview one of the voice actor indicated that, people always complain that the voice doesn't match the lips when speaking. It is because sometimes the artist forget their lines and just move their mouth around and just have facial expression- now that is super lazy on the artist part. I am use to the dubbing now lol, so I can't complain, as long as they are not using that one lady's voice that dubbed Yang Mi in paladin! So squeaky! Like a child's voice!

Hu Ge is 32 this year, funny EP is a months older, yet he still has the youthful look.

I believe He Ge and LSS are pretty popular in China. Hu ge got his stardom after chinese paladin, he has over 28 Mil followers on Weibo, LSS got really notice after BBJX with 15 MiL followers. EP has 12 MIL followers

ex-tangren member Yuan Hong has 33 MIL

I think the most popular according to Weibo (that I know off) are Vicky Zhao, Ruby Lin and Chen kun who has the most at the moment with 74 MIL followers.

Raymond Lam and Charmaine maybe popular in HK, I am not sure at their age now they can enter the Chinese market and out shine all these other artist. Anything is possible.

I am watching this on and off. Somehow, it just does not grab me.

Like what someone said, LSS is miscast. For the life of her, she cannot pull off a fun-loving character without looking forced. I cringe whenever she tries to be funny or cute, it is so bad. She is really good when she has to be serious and down-cast. Anything between the two, she becomes boring. I find it unconvincing that the 2 main male characters in the novel could fall in love with a LSS's Jin Yu. Also, the person who styled her in this drama should be shot. She looks bleh when we know that she can look incredible and stunning with the right hair and make-up. She's an over-rated mediocre actress and is not ready to forego all the aesthetics required to boost her presence in a drama.

The biggest disappointment for me has been Hu Ge. I am a big fan of his but in this drama, Hu Ge is BORING. He looks like a wax mannequin most of the time and acts like one too. I feel embarassed whenever the camera zooms up on his face - it is like they are trying to make him out to be a man "vase". This is one drama that I would rather forget Hu Ge acted in.

Eddie Peng stole the show. His acting is on a totally different level from the rest. I still find him not handsome enough but his charms and magnetism overrides this shortcoming. He has gained a new fan in me.

All that said, I will continue to catch a few episodes now and then. I am already half way through and there is nothing interesting to watch at the moment. Eddie Peng is highly watcheable and hopefully, Hu Ge will show some improvement towards the end.

damn it general, please stop beng cute and adorable,, you and xinyue making me blushing and giggling from ear to ear
    the way wuji carried xinyue like a sack of flour when he "kidnapped" her making me go LOL LSS body seems so light judging the way EP carried her

tho sometimes LSS make me cringe when she bulging her eyes, but actually she does a decent job, not too over-the-top and she so easy in the eyes, not plastic, so no complaints from me... but gahh i hate her hairstyles/wig (actually all the ladies hairstyles) and make up too, the powder was too thick IMO and not forget how they sometimes makes her eye make up look like she has panda eyes

cannot compared BBJX and SotD, bec for me the story focus is already different to begin with.. while i watching and liking both, BBJX for the bromance and the interesting palace politics and SotD for the beautiful and cute love story (and happy ending !!!) but i knew that i def wont rewatched BBJX in the future, too heavy and my heart cant take the sadness, cant let my eyes swollen bec too much bawl and cry twice

and agree that EP stole the show and HuGe makes me cry with him, regrets always come later

I know this thought is a bit delayed....but why didn't XY try to explain the bite to WJ? After all, she bit JY to make him get off the breaking ice and it wasn't a "love bite" like it looked
    EP did such a great job in those few scenes of anger/hurt

Quote Originally Posted by cherieluv View Post
    I am watching this on and off. Somehow, it just does not grab me.

Like what someone said, LSS is miscast. For the life of her, she cannot pull off a fun-loving character without looking forced. I cringe whenever she tries to be funny or cute, it is so bad. She is really good when she has to be serious and down-cast. Anything between the two, she becomes boring. I find it unconvincing that the 2 main male characters in the novel could fall in love with a LSS's Jin Yu. Also, the person who styled her in this drama should be shot. She looks bleh when we know that she can look incredible and stunning with the right hair and make-up. She's an over-rated mediocre actress and is not ready to forego all the aesthetics required to boost her presence in a drama.

The biggest disappointment for me has been Hu Ge. I am a big fan of his but in this drama, Hu Ge is BORING. He looks like a wax mannequin most of the time and acts like one too. I feel embarassed whenever the camera zooms up on his face - it is like they are trying to make him out to be a man "vase". This is one drama that I would rather forget Hu Ge acted in.

Eddie Peng stole the show. His acting is on a totally different level from the rest. I still find him not handsome enough but his charms and magnetism overrides this shortcoming. He has gained a new fan in me.

All that said, I will continue to catch a few episodes now and then. I am already half way through and there is nothing interesting to watch at the moment. Eddie Peng is highly watcheable and hopefully, Hu Ge will show some improvement towards the end.
    All the critiques that you've made are exactly on point for me.
    I like me.

can somebody explain to me JiuYe's group are what ? desert bandits ? vigilante ? rebels waiting to claim the emperor throne ?

Reading this forum is one of my enjoyment. I'm actually visiting this thread often; enjoy reading all the comments for SOTD. Especially when come to WWJ/ EP, i can't help to smile n agree with most of you.

I watched BBJX but not really following, I try to watch, but always delay.

I love the way WWJ carried XY too. So loving! I love how he teased her & irritate her. He's really a good stalker when he loves someone. Always make sure he's there when she need her. The killer part, when WWJ look at XY. Waaaaa sometimes make me blushing too.. 😍😍😍😍