Thread: Swordsman 2012 《笑傲江湖》 - Wallace Huo, Joe Chen, Yuan Shan Shan

Quote Originally Posted by szfong View Post
    In this adaptation, in order to gain Lin family sword manual, YBQ throws a serious internally injured LHC on-top of the Cliff of Contemplation to rot and use his daughter to gain Lin Ping Zhi's trust... YLS dumps him, I guess she's just too heartless, so he's not as sad in this adaptation. In addition he has two "new" mature, yet powerful women who are very kind to him... always looking out for him.. In this adaptation, RYY is completely overshadowed by DFBB...
    I actually find YLS rather likeable in this adaptation it is however not the point a wanted to emphasize. I can't seem to comprehend why they would want to downplay RYY's role and introduce a new "great love" to LHC. Now RYY seems more like a third choice than anything else. I mean it’s kind of frustrating as a fan of the novel who thinks that LHC realized his feelings for RYY way too late.
    Last edited by hjelp; 02-09-13 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hjelp View Post
    I actually find YLS rather likeable in this adaptation it is however not the point a wanted to emphasize. I can't seem to comprehend why they would want to downplay RYY's role and introduce a new "great love" to LHC. Now RYY seems more like a third choice than anything else. I mean it’s kind of frustrating as a fan of the novel who thinks that LHC realized his feelings for RYY way too late.
    JingYong Inc. is currently in the process of updating all his novels.. He's already like a "brand/franchise"... When he's "gone", I guess his foundation/company/relatives will revise his novels... smart business move if you ask me.. easy way of creating new sources of revenue... by simply revising/modernizing his novels... so as to promote remakes

So far, a few episodes in, I feel that LHC's chemistry with DFBB is better. I'm just a little confused though. I felt this DFBB played by the female actress wasn't "male/man" enough at the start. DFBB looked too feminine even b4 he/she started learning the Flower Manual.
    Last edited by se_lang; 02-09-13 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by se_lang View Post
    So far, a few episodes in, I feel that LHC's chemistry with DFBB is better. I'm just a little confused though. In this series, does DFBB start off as male( played by female)..slowly turn more feminine? I just wasn't sure this DFBB played by this female actress was "male/man" enough at the start. DFBB was too feminine even b4 he/she started learning the Flower Manual.
    DFBB is born a girl and always a girl in this version.

They'll explain about her past once you get deeper into the show.

In this adaptation, in order to gain Lin family sword manual, YBQ throws a serious internally injured LHC on-top of the Cliff of Contemplation to rot and use his daughter to gain Lin Ping Zhi's trust... YLS dumps him, I guess she's just too heartless, so he's not as sad in this adaptation. In addition he has two "new" mature, yet powerful women who are very kind to him... always looking out for him.. In this adaptation, RYY is completely overshadowed by DFBB...
    I was always worried about not liking this version when I heard all of the changes, but now that I have seen the show, I'm not as worried anymore, as it is pretty entertaining so far. As long as they keep all the key moments from the novel I'm happy, which they have been following through so far.
    Last edited by wuxiarocks; 02-09-13 at 05:59 PM.

So far I really like this adaptation too...

DFBB had some REALLY horrible parents... I hope later on in the story it'll foretold how she gets her revenge against them for abandoning her and her little sister... I hate lose ends..
    Last edited by szfong; 02-09-13 at 05:48 PM.

JingYong Inc. is currently in the process of updating all his novels.. He's already like a "brand/franchise"... When he's "gone", I guess his foundation/company/relatives will revise his novels... smart business move if you ask me.. easy way of creating new sources of revenue... by simply revising/modernizing his novels... so as to promote remakes
    Ah, if you look at it in that perspective I guess it is good business that can’t happen without the expense of some characters. Anyway I’ve decided to stay as objective as possible while watching the series, in the sense that I’m trying not to be biased towards the novel.

Quote Originally Posted by hjelp View Post
    Ah, if you look at it in that perspective I guess it is good business that can’t happen without the expense of some characters. Anyway I’ve decided to stay as objective as possible while watching the series, in the sense that I’m trying not to be biased towards the novel.
    This is my favorite novel, and I have seen all the previous adaptations. With that said, I honestly do recommend this adaptation. It is quite entertaining. Although it feels different, it also feels familiar. I look forward to seeing more episodes to make final judgement.

My favorite one was the 96 version, but this is moving up there for me...
    Last edited by wuxiarocks; 02-09-13 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by se_lang View Post
    So far, a few episodes in, I feel that LHC's chemistry with DFBB is better. I'm just a little confused though. I felt this DFBB played by the female actress wasn't "male/man" enough at the start. DFBB looked too feminine even b4 he/she started learning the Flower Manual.
    To be honest, in a lot of these Jin Yong adaptions or wuxia dramas in general, they have girls dressing up as men all the time, very unconvincingly because they still look very feminine (and are usually still wearing makeup), Joe Chen especially because she has such a small frame. Its hard to believe no one could have sussed them out, but then again I don't think they're that bothered on accuracy about things like that.

I think we're going to be in for a treat regarding DFBB. I think she's really going to be one of the richest characters who has a really interesting character development throughout the series. When we learn her backstory etc. it will just add to the complexity of her character. I think its been unfortunate for RYY who is being overshadowed, because she does come across as being the third choice rather than the main love. But I suppose it is a different angle they are going for this time.

Quote Originally Posted by tristevie View Post
    I think we're going to be in for a treat regarding DFBB. I think she's really going to be one of the richest characters who has a really interesting character development throughout the series. When we learn her backstory etc. it will just add to the complexity of her character. I think its been unfortunate for RYY who is being overshadowed, because she does come across as being the third choice rather than the main love. But I suppose it is a different angle they are going for this time.
    While I do agree that DFBB will be the focus of this adaptation, I think RYY will fit in fine, even if she's the third love. As long as they give RYY all her scenes with LHC from the novel, she'll be good. Better yet, once LHC go against DFBB to protect RYY from being hurt, I think RYY will have her moment to shine as a character. Her love and sacrifice for LHC in return should help cover the fact that she is a third choice. The drama should be crazy in this adaptation. I'm intrigue...
    Last edited by wuxiarocks; 02-09-13 at 07:49 PM.

Img365788585.jpg

(Photo above)
    Looks like LHC is going to be extremely torn up by what happens between him and DFBB later.
    Last edited by tristevie; 02-09-13 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by State of Divinity View Post
    While I do agree that DFBB will be the focus of this adaptation, I think RYY will fit in fine, even if she's the third love. As long they give RYY all her scenes with LHC from the novel, she'll be good. Better yet, once LHC go against DFBB to protect RYY from being hurt, I think RYY will have her moment to shine as a character. Her love and sacrifice for LHC in return should help cover the fact that she is a third choice. The drama should be crazy in this adaptation. I'm intrigue...
    Oh definitely. It will be damn intense by the end, with all the drama with Yue Ling Shan as well. LHC is going to have his hands full.

The time for each episode is getting shorter and shorter. Episode 8 20 minutes. WOW
    ~Edison~

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    The time for each episode is getting shorter and shorter. Episode 8 20 minutes. WOW
    It's because they had to cut it to make time for other Chinese new year shows. Or as I hear, because of the high rating they cut down the length to have more space for commercials, to get more money.

Though I hear it'll resume to regular schedule after today, or tomorrow. Back to 2-3 episodes a day. Hopefully not 20 minutes per episode.

well I like the love theme of this adaptation, for me it is fine for RYY to be the third choice agree with you state of divinity..but in the end she will get LHC...I do like the premise that sacrifice get their pay off...sometimes in the drama the lead is blinded by love and forget someone who is always stay by him in any times, happy or sad...glad that LHC is matured...try to forget the love that can never be achieved and did not change his standpoint/not across to demon sect to follow his love...I hope after through so many complicated story, LHC will understand his love for RYY just like in the novel (Yu Mama said he will stick to the novel, didn't he)...
    any way this one is Yu Zheng's and he is best in the triangle or quadruple or even more love connections...so he said he will keep that strength point in this drama..so here we are LHC with his three women..hehehehe...

Love these episodes but its quite difficult to understand....Can any1 tel me when these episodes will be subbed..

Actually the new DFBB relationship with LHC in this version gives me something to look forward to, as I already read the novel many times. Wonder what's going to happen next. Perhaps it helps that I was never a RYY fan from the book lol..

Btw how is LHC's first name supposed to be pronounced? Isn't it the fourth intonation ? Why do they pronounce it the second intonation as in 'zero' ?

I'm watching this on my China made internet tv set top. The link is http://www.kbdyw.com but you need to install some software in order to play it.
    I find this version very strange as the leaders of all the 5 sects are so young looking. This show's more like a teeny bopper version of JY's classic. More in the view of the Fairey series.
    I very much still prefer the 2003 version.

Quote Originally Posted by Surferket View Post
    I'm watching this on my China made internet tv set top. The link is http://www.kbdyw.com but you need to install some software in order to play it.
    I find this version very strange as the leaders of all the 5 sects are so young looking. This show's more like a teeny bopper version of JY's classic. More in the view of the Fairey series.
    I very much still prefer the 2003 version.
    Those so called peer casting ARM-powered embedded TV boxes, or the PC software ones, I tend to avoid. They use p2p technology, a hybrid torrent/e2k protocol... It can endlessly seed the stuff that are on your buffer or mass storage. My firewall/IDS system goes crazy whenever I try using it. Virus scanners/monitoring software spew warnings, until you tell your monitoring software "you trust it"... Personally, I don't want to enroll into a "botnet"

Anyhow, I kinda like this series... I noticed the various housing complex, sets, outdoor areas are IDENTICAL to the series Bride w/ White Hair.... I knew they were filmed at about the same time, but couldn't they have at least changed some of the furnishings?

Seen up to episode 11 now, still keeping close to the novel, and the 96 version. I like that. As for the XAJH musical, I was hoping they'd use the opening theme song for that, just turn it instrumental, but instead we get an almost direct copy of the XAJH theme from the Swordsman 2 movie...

Oh well, YZ is a straight-on copy cat. At this point I'm not surprise. Anyway, I'm still enjoying the show and will continue to watch it daily as it comes.