Thread: Swordsman 2012 《笑傲江湖》 - Wallace Huo, Joe Chen, Yuan Shan Shan

Quote Originally Posted by State of Divinity View Post
    Are you serious? A sequel? To an adaptation? Of a novel without sequel? WHAT? Am I hearing right? Please no. This is TERRIBLE news if true. They better not go with this idea...
    Swordman The Movie, was not particular popular after the 1st one, had two additional sequels made. There are now alot of sequels and re-makes going on both in asian and western stories. It just seems they are running out of new ideas...

I wish they'll remake the whole XAJH thing... all over again in a year or two and make it more complete in addition to having some creative additions. Even the 1996 version cut alot of material that was in the novel.

Good?! Exactly which part is good from this atrocious drama? The wooden face of male lead, or the constant pouting of lead girl? Or the no plot, copy & paste scenes?

Quote Originally Posted by szfong View Post
    Swordman The Movie, was not particular popular after the 1st one, had two additional sequels made. There are now alot of sequels and re-makes going on both in asian and western stories. It just seems they are running out of new ideas...

I wish they'll remake the whole XAJH thing... all over again in a year or two and make it more complete in addition to having some creative additions. Even the 1996 version cut alot of material that was in the novel.
    The 96 version had very little to work with, despite its best intention to stay as faithful as possible, I hear the budget was actually really low. Since that is the case, they did an AMAZING job with what they had. However, I do agree that another XAJH should be made. Given that the story is so very good, yet still not fully complete in term of adaptations. So it would be great to see another one, that hopefully can cover every details from the novel as you suggest.

Also, it is true about the whole remake and reboot, made up sequel, etc that's been going on lately in the world no matter which country. We are currently living in a revival state of fictions, or productions seriously is running out to ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by Faythe View Post
    Can this guy ever think on his own? Does he has to copy everything? I cannot believe that he even has the gall to make fun of old wuxia fighting scenes. They are 100 timez better than his cheap video games scenes.

I can already see the horror of ROTCH.

Is there ever a vote for worst drama in history? Because I really like to vote. He's going to get his karma one day.
    Yz used to be unique. Then he entered china and realized by copying

Quote Originally Posted by State of Divinity View Post
    The 96 version had very little to work with, despite its best intention to stay as faithful as possible, I hear the budget was actually really low. Since that is the case, they did an AMAZING job with what they had. However, I do agree that another XAJH should be made. Given that the story is so very good, yet still not fully complete in term of adaptations. So it would be great to see another one, that hopefully can cover every details from the novel as you suggest.

Also, it is true about the whole remake and reboot, made up sequel, etc that's been going on lately in the world no matter which country. We are currently living in a revival state of fictions, or productions seriously is running out to ideas...
    I think almost everything that is original has already been made already... They can mod it somewhat.. They just did another Journey to the West movie in addition to the two series that came out back to back... unbelievable.
    The four constables is getting another series remake. I saw the The four constable 2012, w/ LYF, the movie, last month, and it looked like a western comic books story, x-men, van helsing hybrid...

It seems the recent Chinese series have large parts of them copied from previous asian & western film & series..

I wished they'd digitally re-master the 1996 XAJH TVB version as well as the 2001 XAJH CCTV version. The colors are just too drowned out and had incorrect lighting. It would cost many million of dollars, though... As it is REALLY hard to fix stuff that is already made. Those two are quite "original" and good. In the 2001 series, they re-arranged the ordering of the scenes, RYY and LHC are enemies in almost half the series, and they never got married at the end...

I think almost everything that is original has already been made already... They can mod it somewhat..
    Originality don't always means quality, so whether something is original or not, it doesn't really matter much, what matter is the quality, which is what is lacking these days. So what we need are quality work. It does not have to be original. But to be honest I think original work can still be done, it's just that most productions are simply lazy.

Say; maybe a meta-Wuxia could be interesting to see.

They just did another Journey to the West movie in addition to the two series that came out back to back... unbelievable.
    Not to mention another Journey to the West 3D movie with Donnie Yen coming later this year...

The four constables is getting another series remake. I saw the The four constable 2012, w/ LYF, the movie, last month, and it looked like a western comic books story, x-men, van helsing hybrid...
    A pretty poor movie from what I got out of it...

It seems the recent Chinese series have large parts of them copied from previous asian & western film & series..
    Yes, and they are not even doing that great of a job. For the most part anyway.

I wished they'd digitally re-master the 1996 XAJH TVB version as well as the 2001 XAJH CCTV version.
    I feel the same, but I guess that won't be happening any time soon, ( at least I don't think) so whatever releases of these classics we have now, we can only treasure them in its current form.

The colors are just too drowned out and had incorrect lighting. It would cost many million of dollars, though... As it is REALLY hard to fix stuff that is already made. Those two are quite "original" and good.
    They can do complete re-release on Blu-ray, using the original master copy and convert them over into the HD format with color-correction. It's not impossible if they want to do it, they can pull it off.

It's been done with movies/anime etc so far in the market, and the HD treatment really do help. As to how much it cost, I don't think it would cost too much, it's only a remastering work. If anything, shooting a remake cost more...

In the 2001 series, they re-arranged the ordering of the scenes, RYY and LHC are enemies in almost half the series, and they never got married at the end...
    All the more reason why I appreciate the '96 version as is.
    Last edited by wuxiarocks; 03-05-13 at 11:31 PM.

@State of Divinity:

Although the 1996 Version most accurately portrays the novel, the 2001 has some of the BEST fight scenes of them all. No "green screen" stuff, authentic steel wire physical action..... I heard the actors/actresses had to spend months doing physical training/preparation, location setup, etc... and filming took like half-a year or more.

If you've got time, take another quick look at the 2001 version... not judging by the deviations... particularly, the action sequences and the acting was fairly good also...
    Last edited by szfong; 03-05-13 at 11:43 PM.

@State of Divinity:

Although the 1996 Version most accurately portrays the novel, the 2001 has some of the BEST fight scenes of them all. No "green screen" stuff, authentic steel wire physical action..... I heard the actors/actresses had to spend months doing physical training/preparation, location setup, etc... and filming took like half-a year or more.

If you've got time, take another quick look at the 2001 version... not judging by the deviations... particularly, the action sequences and the acting was fairly good also...
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the 2001 for sure. While I did think it felt a little too much like an art film to me, I admit it does have that legit ancient feel to it. From the scenery, to the music, to the costumes, etc. It was no doubt a well made, well put productions.

Not to mention I find that RYY to be quite cute. She had that evil but sweet innocent look to her.

As for the fight scenes I agree it was almost movie-like quality, probably the better ones among all the adaptations so far. With Yu Zheng being the worse. But yea, the 2001 version was definitely high in production value.

I agree, quality is the most important. For me, the acting & story flow is more important than anything else, especially CGI. That was why I love '96 version so much. The characters & acting are aligned with each other. The story flowed beautifully. I honestly don't hate any characters in that version. Maybe because their acting wasn't annoying.

In YZ's version, I don't understand why anyone likes anyone. They all love the wrong people. Needless to say, DFBB's love is wasted on LHC. I mean the guy doesn't even has one ounce of faith in her. His heart belongs to YLS, but she didn't have faith in him either. RYY clinged to a guy whom she knows that she will always comes in second. Not to mention, he doesn't even looks like he's attracted to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Faythe View Post
    Good?! Exactly which part is good from this atrocious drama? The wooden face of male lead, or the constant pouting of lead girl? Or the no plot, copy & paste scenes?
    Wallace's face sustained me through the episodes

Joe Chen was pretty good and some scenery (the real ones) were nice. But that's it. I would list the bad points, but they would not fit.

@Faythe:

DFBB sacrificing her heart is a bit of an ironic metaphor for this version of XAJH. In order for YZ to be happy, he sacrifice the heart of the story for the sake of his own imagination. Or lack thereof.

I do would like to back that statement about the '96 version. The story, characters and acting flow so smoothly that I was pulled into the series and not want to pull out. I recall not wanting to sleep because I enjoyed it so much. Where as this YZ version made me want to go the sleep. The poor character development especially did not help the case.

It's just like you said, everyone loves everyone, blindly.

Nobody can beat Linghu Chong role than Jackie Lui, Jackie Lui is he best from his carefree looks to his acting, he is the best LHC.
    Those that have not see the TVB 1996 version of Jackie Lui, see it before you die, you won't regret, LOL!

And I'm confuse, can anyone help me answer my question. Is this love story between DFBB and LHC are made up in this version? Because I remember the 1996 version very well that there was no love between DFBB and LHC, LOL!

I'm not watching this version, no way I can sit through like 55 episolds of this.

Sorry I had to copy this from another forum about Wallace Huo's interview.

Wallace Huo, who portrays Linghu Chong, expected such criticism to arise when he first took on the role. However, the Taiwanese actor made it very clear that Swordman is meant for a different audience. “I am personally against adaptations that are very different from the original work, but despite its changes, I was quite impressed with the Swordman script. The relationships between the characters are splendid. I believe that many younger audiences are not very familiar with the original, so [Swordman] should be able to serve these younger audiences.”

He is such a liar! Why the hell would he argue with the director about the romance with DFBB if he was all for the love?!! And some harcore fans of his said Wallace was tricked into taking this role? That the script was changed on him during the filming? BS!
    Last edited by Shibao; 03-06-13 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clfan View Post
    Nobody can beat Linghu Chong role than Jackie Lui, Jackie Lui is he best from his carefree looks to his acting, he is the best LHC.
    Those that have not see the TVB 1996 version of Jackie Lui, see it before you die, you won't regret, LOL!

And I'm confuse, can anyone help me answer my question. Is this love story between DFBB and LHC are made up in this version? Because I remember the 1996 version very well that there was no love between DFBB and LHC, LOL!

I'm not watching this version, no way I can sit through like 55 episolds of this.
    It is 42 episodes, they made many half episodes to extend its run in order to make more on adv. revenue.

The love triangle thing was stolen from the 1992-Sworman 2 Movie w/ Jet Li as LHC and scenes of the love triangle were also stolen from the MediaCorp, 2000-The Legendary Swordman w/ Steve Ma as LHC.

And many of the most touching scenes in the 1996 TVB re-make between LHC & RYY were given to DFBB & LHC...
    Last edited by szfong; 03-06-13 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibao View Post

Wallace Huo, who portrays Linghu Chong, expected such criticism to arise when he first took on the role. However, the Taiwanese actor made it very clear that Swordman is meant for a different audience. “I am personally against adaptations that are very different from the original work, but despite its changes, I was quite impressed with the Swordman script. The relationships between the characters are splendid. I believe that many younger audiences are not very familiar with the original, so [Swordman] should be able to serve these younger audiences.”

He is such a liar! Why the hell would he argue with the director about the romance with DFBB if he was all for the love?!! And some harcore fans of his said Wallace was tricked into taking this role? That the script was changed on him during the filming? BS!
    Either way wallace made a lot of $$$ and is the second most popular searched idol for now.

Quote Originally Posted by clfan View Post

The only parts that are good are the ones with DFBB...the rest of the series suck.

In this series, I felt the best parts were when DFBB & LYC were together.

What was missing/inconsistent was that :
    - LHC didn't find out DFBB was ambushed by his master YBQ
    - LHC didn't find out that DFBB was willingly being imprisoned at Shaolin to cure him
    - LHC cried when DFBB fell into the cliff but somehow he seemed to hate her in the end

For me, the LHC & RYY romance just didn't have the same chemistry as the one between LHC & DFBB.
    You always got the feeling LHC liked DFBB more.

I really hated the CGI effects..so over-done.

YZ may have "purposefully" made those inconsistencies so as to spur demand for a "Swordman II Series". Seeing how good the ratings were... This series was REALLY done on a low budget... w/ very high profits...

Quote Originally Posted by Shibao View Post
    Wallace is either a liar, a fool, or a lucky man.

If he enjoys the script so much he wouldn't be arguing with the director about the love scenes with DFBB. If he wants to stay faithful to the novel enough to have a LHC/RYY ending he wouldn't be admitting that this is made for the next generation audiences. Why would he say this is a different take on the story, yet still demand it be faithful to the novel? Fail...

In any case, his LHC is boring. Nuff said. But he made banks, so that's that.

YZ may have "purposefully" made those inconsistencies so as to spur demand for a "Swordman II Series". Seeing how good the ratings were... This series was REALLY done on a low budget... w/ very high profits...
    Try explaining the XWT inconsistency. Brothers with LHC? Right... YZ is an idiot. A rich one, but then, the majority of rich folks in the world are idiots. As proven by history. What a funny world we live in.

The high rating of this crap drama says a lot.
    Last edited by wuxiarocks; 03-06-13 at 04:47 PM.

I think YSS has now become my most hated actress. I was actually ambivalent towards her before XAJH aired and was looking forward to her performance as RYY. But after watching XAJH, I think I've actually developed a hatred towards her. WTF does YZ keep insisting on promoting her. Her smile looks like she's crying, her "expressionless" face looks like she's crying, her sausage lips take up the entire face. It's funny when she told the press that she thinks she makes a great RYY and is perfect for the role. Are you serious? Her standards must be super low...like no standards level. I think I read somewhere that there's a rumor YSS's sugar daddy is YZ's boss and that was the reason why he keeps giving her lead roles in all his dramas.